Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We've talked a bunch about Junji ito in the horror comics thread, but yeah, he's probably my current favourite manga author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that Monster is getting a new printing that will start coming out pretty soon.

This is awesome, thanks for mentioning it. I started collecting Monster, but fell off for a while and when I finally went back to it everything was out of print and super expensive. This is perfect.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

I'm pretty sure they are going to be omni editions? They were in last months previews.

Oh yeah, I know, I'm not far enough into it to where it'll be a massive loss. I'm just glad it's available again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dias posted:

Yeah, I quite enjoyed Death Note until the halfway point, and then it plummeted in quality. It kept going past the point when it should've ended and that was a big problem, but I also feel like the plotting got too dumb. Yeah, the series with the potato chip scene got too dumb for me.

Death Note is amazing because of dumb scenes like that. Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to disagree that it went on for too long, but it's still worth reading/watching as there's a lot of insane creativity and plotting going on.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Berserk is so unique in that the general message seems to be "the world is hosed and everything is horrible forever, your worst nightmares are true and no one is ever going to live a happy life or afterlife, but hey you shouldn't give up!"

It's one of my favourite pieces of fiction in general, but yeah it's not something everyone is going to be into and that's totally okay and probably very sane.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't Dragon's Dogma have a Berserk DLC in Japan?

It was in the western version for free. There were armors for Guts and Griffith and you could get Guts' sword.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

20th Century remains my favourite. It's the first thing I read by Urasawa and I still adore it, so I think it's an excellent introduction. Yeah I'm not gonna argue that it peaks quite a bit before the end, but for me it's all about the journey which is still super exhilarating, even on a re-read. I don't think I've ever been thrown around so wildly by a piece of fiction, I loving love it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We've linked to plenty of scanlations of Junji Ito short stories in the horror thread and it was never an issue. I guess it's a grey area, but poo poo you know is never going to get licensed is probably not going to ruffle any feathers

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They've promised that'll it'll be monthly starting now. They wouldn't lie to us again.

:(

Even if it's never going to be finished, Berserk is still my favourite manga ever by a LONGSHOT. I can understand the frustration, but I don't think it's a good reason to just plain avoid reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

Berserk isn't likely to get an ending, but at this point it's been running for more than 25 years; ending or not there's 37 volumes of high-quality action material that people should look at.

I think Deadwood (a great manga by HBO) weaned me off the whole ending thing. And, well, the original anime - I'm pretty sure I went years before picking up the manga after watching that loving ending. If Miura announced he was never going to do more, I don't think I'd care. It's gone on for so long that it'd be a shame, but it doesn't somehow invalidate the rest, I think of that book's arcs as being mostly self-contained anyway.