Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
As an aside: I'm amazed by how good the Italian is in this series. It's 100% correct both in grammar and spelling, you can only tell it's written by a foreigner because it uses no slang and the like. (The translation is wrong in some places, but that's probably due to the Japanese text saying different things than the Italian.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

If the "gory" part of your request isn't mandatory, read The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. It has great action, great characters, a good story, and the single best love confession I've seen in manga.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Bunny Drop (aka Usagi Drop).

Do not actually do this. That way lies madness.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say that without telling us how to goes down the toilet :suspense:.

Does it count as self-promotion if I link to my own posts? I hope not!

Start reading here and scroll down.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Has there ever been a genuinely good one? Honest question. I certainly can't think of any offhand.

The live action Space Brothers movie is pretty good, even though it skips a lot of things that were in the original manga / anime, but that's to be expected since you're condensing 10+ hours worth of story into a two-hour movie.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Shiori Experience

Shiori was once a guitarist in a light music club in high school. But her first live performance was dashed when her brother ran away from home with a lot of debt, to become a musician in Tokyo. Now she's a high school English teacher. Her life is mostly boring: she goes to work, and then goes back home, nothing else. And she's bummed by that. She wants something more.

On the day of her twenty-seventh birthday, she remembers her deadbeat brother had given her a guitar for her birthday ten years previously. So she opens her closet to look at the guitar, and finds the ghost of Jimi Hendrix just sitting there.

No, I'm not kidding.

As it turns out, her brother has used a magical book give himself supernatural guitar skills, quite literally: the book works by summoning the spirit of one of the members of the 27 Club to act as a teacher / advisor for whoever uses the book, and occasionally play on their behalf by possessing their body.

But Shiori's brother screwed up big time, and it was Shiori who ended up being possessed by Jimi, not him.

And the book comes with a big caveat: if the one who gets possessed doesn't make it big by the time they turn 28, they will die.

So now Shiori has exactly one year to start up a band and become famous, or she will... Drop dead.

What follows is a hot-blooded tale of how Shiori assembles a rag-tag band of social outcasts from her school, how they each overcome their personal doubts and demons, and how they try to become famous in the cutthroat world of rock music.

Shiori Experience owns, you guys.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

One of the best parts of that manga is (spoilers for chapter 5): Frieren unseals a demon she'd sealed eighty years before, because at the time no one was powerful enough to kill him outright. Said demon was the inventor and master of "killing magic" which had brought many a hero's career to a swift end, and he tries to use it on Frieren and Fern. Fern goes "What the hell? That was just regular attack magic," and Frieren replies "Correct, over the past eighty years humans have studied it and mastered it and developed countermeasures, in only eighty years. Humans are scary."

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl

an adorably naive, sheltered girl falls in love with a handsome girl, who has trouble coming out and telling her that she's a girl and not a boy.

This one gave me Big Trans Feelings. I know neither character is trans, and it's not what the story is about, but the several chapters long song-and-dance of "she thinks I'm a boy but I'm actually a girl, how the hell do I tell her? And if I tell her, will she hate me? Will she leave me? Will she be mad I've deceived her for so long?" feels awfully familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ikoku Nikki is seriously good. I got emotional at the part where Asa reads her aunt's writing, and she goes "You have so many beautiful words and emotions inside you, why is it so difficult for you to spare some for me?"