Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Is there a wiki or anything that says where/when/how it was supposed to end?

There's no need for a wiki on that, you hit one point, and you just kind of know that was where it was supposed to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Alternatively: Jing/Gin King of Bandit gets really pretty about 4 volumes in. But isn't as heavy in plot as Berserk, and is more of a fun shonen type series then anything, and each volume is basically one self contained story (the first volume is kinda crap though, both in art and story). It branched off into a second series Jing King of Bandit: Twilight Tales, which are gorgeous, but some of the stories feel a bit pretentious.

For reference, here's Yuichi Kumakura, the artist, Pulling a Miura, before Miura started doing it:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Bravo posted:

Was this the series where the guy has a bird that turns into a gun? And there's a lot of references to mixed drinks? If so, this was probably the first manga I ever read, back in high school. :allears:

yep. I think the Seventh Heaven OAV is up on either netflix or Hulu right now too.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Sad Mammal posted:

If this thread is still taking suggestions:

Me & the Devil Blues (Drama, Horror, Seinen)
A take on the life of bluesman Robert Johnson with some heavy gothic horror overtones. This being a manga, don't expect it to cleave too close to reality. For instance: Clyde Barrow (of Bonnie & Clyde fame) is a major character and confidant of Johnson's in this universe. Biographical quibbles aside, the art is FANTASTIC and sets a mood so well it might as well be a full-blown horror manga. Only four volumes total, so it should make for a fast read if you're interested.

Viz (I think) got this one and released it as two books containing two volumes each. Should be an easy find at a half-price books, and they're really interesting.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Back when I was into Manga heavily I tried reading Trigun, by volume 10 of 14, I think, I could no longer tell what the gently caress was going on. And it was all because of the art style. Nightow is a good artist, but if he's still doing the crazy art stuff he did in the last few volume of Trigun, B3 might be hard to choke down.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

sharktamer posted:

I've never even read any light novels, no idea how they even compare. Been thinking of finding some for a while, for stuff like majutsu no index since it also seems to be way ahead.

Light novels are just books,, but every like 4 or 5 chapters there's a picture, so if you like reading words, that's them. I know Haruhi and Spice and Wolf have long Light Novel series getting/have gotten translated.

I'm annoyed that we won't get the Kino's Journey Light Novels here after the Tokyopop translation gently caress up. Which for those that don't know, they switched around some chapters and used gender pronouns in a way which revealed some spoilers. The Original author got wind of it and pulled support of the Light Novels from Tokyopop.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah I was literally going to come and post that it's probably not a good idea anymore. What the gently caress, author. Like, it was genuinely wholesome for the most part, dude is a hardcore otaku but still got married and was taking care of his pregnant wife, she gave birth, everything's hunky-dory, and then...swerve into loving bullshitsville

Wholesome? Were we reading the same comic, seemed like the first few chapters were all about the wife being horny?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It is, but so are things like dietary changes, hormonal shifts, and increased financial obligations. That story is basically "Booho, I can't get a dicking."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Invictus posted:

Hell that didn't even bother me, the only thing that bothers me is the baffling inclusion of a sound effect index, an index in the back of the book full of nothing but translations for sound effects rather than have them on the corresponding page proper.

They did that for a few reasons. Like they didn't want to have to "ruin" the art by redrawing everything (or save money, who knows.) They don't put it on the side because that looks cluttered.

Nausicaa was also translated like what, 10 years ago? That was back when they thought people cared about translating everything.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ryonguy posted:

Going from reading Dungeon Meshi by not entirely legal means on my desktop monitor to a tiny manga trade format was a little annoying. I get why they published them in that small size to begin with, when you got a 20 volume series space gets to be a premium, but I'd like it if more got published like Akira in full sized pages.

The physical books that they're first printed in (Like Shonan Jump) are huge phone book size monstrocities.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I am also interested in a list of those.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Samuringa posted:

God is Dead And This Is The Hell We Built For Ourselves: Now And Then, Here and There

It's been years since I saw this, and I remember being kind of disappointed that it didn't hit me as hard as everyone seems to say it should. Like Clannad got me, but not this one.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Yeah, you're one Sister Princess away from Lowtax mass banning ADTRW and this thread. You hosed up bad.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Invictus posted:

I've not read Love Hina,

I think this was basically the start of the current trend of harem anime being more about T&A then actual romance. It's not the worst offender of it's genre, but it's not that good.

Fun story though in that the creator went on to write Negima, where the editors wanted Love Hina 2, but he wanted to do a Shonen series. So to trick them he started it out as semi-trash harem, then slowly ramped up the shonen until it was barely a harem any more. He's currently(?) working on UQ Holder, a follow up to Negima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jackard posted:

I'm curious, what were her hobbies prior to video games?

Hanafuda