Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Do people actually acknowledge solid lines where you are? People gently caress them up here all the time. Expecting them to turn into the correct lane without drifting into another one is completely unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Next time, remember that even an entire family of ducks will do less damage than a single curb. You can't hose curb rash off your wheels!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Possibly Chicken posted:

gently caress that person for life

This is probably not very long.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Not only do we not have any sort of inspection - most of rural Alaska is completely exempt from vehicle registration and insurance requirements. Granted, a lot of these places don't really have and can't be reached by roads, and the populations can get into the double digits - but it's still pretty interesting

http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv/reg/exempt.htm

Surely "you will literally die if your car fails at the wrong time" is a pretty good motivator for folks to keep their poo poo in shape? Are rolling deathtraps that common out there?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Devil's advocate: If they're waiting until the merge point to merge, that is fine and dandy and efficient. Other people got over earlier than they had to, which is also fine. But if they're passing on the shoulder, or otherwise being shitheads, that's no good.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

my rural town

Penngrove?

E: VVV Yo what's with all the north bay posters all of a sudden

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 5, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

idk what to tell you, i've been reading this thread for ages man

It's just a bit weird for me 'cause I grew up in Petaluma and I didn't think there was much of a norcal AI presence, and those that I was aware of have been south bay. Plus Pham in Livermore.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Oh yeah? Thanks for the :effort: post. :shobon:

Around here, flashing yellows are a good thing. Old light programming went solid green protected left, solid yellow protected left, red protected left. Now it goes solid green protected left, flashing yellow protected left for the rest of the light cycle, then only goes to red at the end when the other direction is about to go. So it doesn't decrease the amount of green arrow you would have gotten before, it just eliminates those times when you're sitting at a light with a red arrow, but nobody is coming and it would be perfectly safe to turn if it weren't for that drat red arrow.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

"driving in the bay area"

Not accurate: a cop actually did something about someone driving like a sociopath.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't see that happening anywhere in this gif

Oh, I took it to mean that he was stopping the guy with the 4-ways for going the wrong way. :shobon:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Nobody will vote in legislature that requires cars be "more difficult" to drive. As long as it's not illegal to do so, car companies will sell the cars that people want to buy. If someone tried to sell something that was "difficult" they'd lose their shirts because everyone would buy from literally anyone else.

poo poo, look how contentious it is to suggest that licensing requirements get more strict, and that we re-test people maybe more often than never.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So if you hit someone who is going the wrong way into oncoming traffic (presumably) across a double yellow, it's your fault because you were turning left? :wtc:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bolind posted:

Not sure what happens if there's a double yellow, but assuming a standard, two-lane road where passing is allowed, and a person turning left onto a side road (think T-intersection) while another is passing that person, the fault assignment around here is 33/66.

Do you usually find those in-town? That looks like a main-ish road, and even at two lanes I'd expect no passing to be allowed. Can't tell with the rain, though. But I'd agree, if it was legal for him to pass on the left, that the turning car should have a duty to look for someone making a pass. I hadn't thought of that as being a legitimate maneuver in that kind of setting until you mentioned it. Maybe passing is permitted in more places than I realize it is.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I like it when I'm going 5 over in the right lane on a 3 lane freeway and have a dude bear down on me, pass me, and jump back in the right lane.

I'm like, guy, that isn't how it works.

But getting back over to complete your pass is the correct way to do it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I said there were 3 lanes. Dude kept tailgating people in the far right lane.

It's still correct to go all the way right when done passing if there's not anyone else in that lane.

I don't condemn people using the middle lane as a faster cruise lane, as long as they stay out of the far left, but it's not technically correct if the right lane is emptyish.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Im ok with this, unless you're on the interstate where exits are like 15 miles apart. In the right lane you'll be getting merged into so why not just stay in the middle?

I agree, which is why I say I don't condemn people hanging out in the middle. But it's not wrong to get back over, either.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

Note that you will never get a cite for this with anything American with a V8 made before 1973.

Thank god for this. Profiling is great when you're on the right side of it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

American cars before 1973 are generally bigger than modern cars and came with engines that put out the equivalent of about 110hp SAE net and bias ply tires. What would they ticket you for, being walked by a Prius? Overpowering your non-vacuum assisted 4 wheel drum brakes?

Counterpoint: Ones that still exist are likely to be enthusiast-owned, so have a higher chance of not being those things. Plus, weren't disc brakes standard from about 1971?

Also, don't most fartcan Civics not make a whole lot more than that? Although I suppose they'd have marginally better brakes under those 13" wheels.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

dennyk posted:

What the ever-loving gently caress? :psyduck: Even for the US, that's a whole new level of insanity...

I dunno, I've certainly seen videos of cops using "or I will shoot you" as punctuation. I think it has precedent.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Oh yeah, I'd blocked out the memories of riding with a friend of mine back when we used to go to school together. He'd cruise in the left lane at the speed limit, all "I'm going the speed limit, they shouldn't go faster than me anyway. :smuggo: " So that definitely happens.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

0rganDonor posted:

You mean the accident in Michigan where 90% of the drivers were driving too fast for conditions and were unable to stop in time? I don't wish death on anyone, but after what I've seen out here, with 24/7 exposure, it doesn't surprise me when it does happen. Would it kill some people to look up from their phones occasionally?

Problem is, in such a situation, if you decide that the flow of traffic is faster than you feel safe driving, you create more of a hazard by slowing down. So you're hosed either way.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Downtown San Jose we have one-way streets that are two lanes, plus a really wide bike lane, and then parking. Every once in awhile I'll see someone barreling down the bike lane, for more than one block, in order to skip the gridlocked traffic in the travel lanes. I guess they were going to turn right eventually?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'd bet either foreign or drunk.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I guess he figured he wanted to go fast, so he had to get in the fast lane. :downs:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PT6A posted:

1) If I have to move over in order to exit, and I have the space to do so, I'm using my turn signal to let you know I might be cutting you off a little bit so you don't get freaked out. This is normal, people do it to me all the time, and it's not remotely the same as cutting someone off without warning. Do not, even before I start to move over, lay on the horn and act indignant, when I know perfectly well that you're not actually in my blind spot and I will not hit you if I move over. Then I'm just going to move over and take the spot immediately, and flip you the bird.

Counterpoint: inserting your car into my "I need this space so I don't run into you" space and then jamming on the brakes is not the best way to make friends, even if you don't hit me.

PT6A posted:

I could bitch about the fact that people don't understand what "slower traffic keep right" means too, but I'd rather make the point that, every time people actually follow this rule, traffic Just Works. Everyone's happy. People going faster are happy, people going slower are happy, everyone's happy and safe! It's just so loving simple and it works so well when people actually do it... why is it such a battle?

Because everyone faster than you is a psycho, remember? That means that when you want to "go fast" (ten under) you need to get into the "fast lane", and the only people you might inconvenience are psychos anyway, not much you can do about that, now is there? :downs:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
All you need is a really loud exhaust with a loping idle. Punch them in the face with your exhaust pulses. BLAP-uh BLAP-uh BLAP-uh

If they can hold a conversation behind your hotrod, you're doing something wrong

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bolind posted:

Didn't the US make the third brake light mandatory years ago?

'86, I think.

Just 'cause it left the factory with one doesn't mean it still works, although that car looks way too new to be burning bulbs already.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tuna posted:

I've seen some old woman slowly exit a multi story carpark and drive off down the street with their entire car alarm going off 110%. I don't think people care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sV9A5VBZwc

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Armacham posted:

This is confirmation bias fyi

I'm a person who rides a bicycle, and I go out of my way to look for other bicyclists who are following the rules. They are for sure few and far between. I've seen exactly three other people who rode in the bike lane, obeying traffic signals, wearing a helmet in the 3 weeks I've been riding to class. A few more that were 2 of those 3, but still not too many.

I mean, yeah, you're right that you see and remember all the people who do the wrong thing, and not the people who are doing the right thing. But the proportions really are skewed way far over towards the shitheads.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Killstick posted:

She clearly found an alternative to abortion.

12th trimester abortion

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I get people who do the "veer right before turning left" thing. What the gently caress is up with that? Do people seriously imagine a 5mph turn is the same as an f-1 race?

I do that sometimes because I need all the turning radius I can get. Usually before doing a U-turn; if there's room I'd rather take it to avoid potentially having to hop the curb on the other end.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

StormDrain posted:

Best fuel filler location, 1964 Ford Galaxie, dead center below the trunk. Never on the wrong side.

Most older cars are that way. Both of my Chevys are. Makes for some fun when I visit Oregon.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sudo Echo posted:

Isn't that kind of a big fire hazard if the car gets rear-ended?

Probably. It's not for their safety that I like older cars, hah.

That said, they kept that up in the B-body until '96.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, general consensus is the G1W (make sure you buy from the right seller) and the Mobius.

Well, the G1W is the cheapest thing that's not total crap. If you want to spend a little bit more, Mobius or Mini 0803.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Protocol7 posted:

Kind of terrible, but one guy says that he expects his car to lock when he presses the button. Kind of his fault for not pressing it until he hears the horn bleep, though.

Don't most systems work where one click locks the doors, and two clicks beeps the horn and arms the alarm?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

david_a posted:

Both cars I've had with fobs had configurable settings in the car's UI somewhere whether to honk and how loud. I've never seen the behavior you describe though, one click on lock is all it takes. Unlocking always seems to be one click, driver's door; two clicks, all doors.

Both my mom's '03 Odyssey and my dad's '04 Ranger behave that way :shobon:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KozmoNaut posted:

You check your mirrors, look over your shoulder and switch lanes if it's clear. You also expect faster-moving traffic to the left of you.

This dude came barreling through the right lane, which is 1) somewhat harder to survey in a LHD vehicle, and 2) unexpected because it is illegal to pass on the right here.

One issue is, how do you reconcile "no passing on the right" with "drive in the farthest right lane as is possible for the speed you want to go"?

Generally, I only consider it a right-lane pass if I move right, pass someone, then move back over. Otherwise, if you're just driving along in the rightmost lane, isn't it the fault of everybody to your left for driving in the wrong lane?

I'm probably wrong about this, but I don't generally feel like I've ethically done the wrong thing when I cruise in the right lane, passing all of the people who wanted to drive in the "fast lane" going the speed limit.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Locator posted:

Except that the mess made when there isn't enough parking for the number of units (in residential) or expected traffic in stores (for commercial) is unbelievable. The rules about minimum parking were created to alleviate the giant mess made in surrounding neighborhoods when developments are 'underparked'.

Holy poo poo someone needs to tell universities about this research, it will be revolutionary.

mariooncrack posted:

How the hell is a Camaro considered a compact?

Well, the F-body platform is based on the Nova, right? Same front end suspension, anyway. The modern stuff, presumably, is an evolution of that? I dunno, it's smaller than a Malibu, which is the mid-size.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I've also noticed several new mercedes parked at night with one rear running light stuck on - it usually seemed to be the driver's side/opposite the curb, so I started thinking it was a nighttime parking safety feature but I don't know if that's actually a Thing.

Rear foglight? Do they let you turn the foglight on without having the key on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, lots of plugged storm drains too.

I will never understand why people drop to 2 mph to creep through a deep puddle. Your car is gonna get drenched no matter what you do, might as well pick a speed that will carry you through if the car stalls for some reason. And the crest looks way cooler when you go faster.

Because you don't know how deep it is or what is in it. A 3" deep muddy puddle looks about the same as a 1' deep muddy puddle. If you take it slowly, you have the option to abort if things start getting sketchy.