Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Have you ever driven in Florida? I think I'm one of maybe five people in the state who completely stop. If you are going faster when you hit the line, you get to go first, or you just slow to a crawl and gun it if the other person looks like they're gonna chicken out.

Christ, no. I'm on the other side of the country. But I just figured that the people who never quite stop wouldn't have convictions about driving etiquette that revolves around coming to a stop :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Crotch Fruit posted:

At least none of it is even half as bad as the Prius' shifter, I really hope someone lost their job over that abomination.

Which Prius? I only have experience with the gen2, but that shifter seems fine? Little joystick on the dash, R/N/D real easy to get to, reachable with your fingertips while keeping your hand on the wheel. Overall, seems like the best way to execute that sort of thing for an electronically controlled CVT.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I don't like any controls on my wheel except a horn ring.

The audio control is under my right foot, and that audio also doubles as cruise control, since I know what 70MPH sounds like.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PT6A posted:

I suppose, but given that pedestrians don't require the same stopping distance as a car, I don't think it's reasonable to compare the situations. The flashing hand gives you time to clear the intersection if you're already in it, not to start crossing. It's rude to impede traffic when you should know better. I don't have a problem with anyone jaywalking provided they do so safely and with due consideration for traffic following the law.

Well, except they give you a 28-second flashing countdown for a road that takes 10 seconds to cross at a normal rate. I've got no problems with entering the crosswalk when it's already flashing, if I know I can get across before it's done. It's simply not true that it only gives you the barest of time to finish crossing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
There is no functional difference between a slow moving person halfway across the lane and a fast-moving person just entering the lane, except that the fast moving person will probably be out of the way sooner.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Uh... I really hope that car was parked there uninhabited :(

Note that that's Aus, so it's RHD

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ambaire posted:

While driving home from the store today, I had a question come to me...

Is there a chart / breakdown of what percentage of accidents happen in what lanes of a highway, with specifics for 'is the lane adjacent to on/off ramps' or 'is the lane the furthest from active merging'?

I have a theory and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it... I think accidents might be broken down like this, for a four lane highway:
<lane 1 (lower)><lane 2 (higher)><lane 3 (bit lower)><lane 4 (highest)><on/off ramps>.
I like getting all the way to the left and just staying there blending with traffic flow since there's only 1 side for cars to merge in/out.

Should I post this in the traffic thread instead in ask/tell?

The problem with just hanging out in the left lane is that that's the passing lane, so you'll aggravate people who are trying to pass into doing less safe maneuvers in the other lanes (where people aren't expecting that) and potentially causing more accidents. :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bolind posted:

While I totally know the concept, I have yet to try to fill up anything else than a car at a gas station.

Wow I find that hard to believe. I guess you've never ever ran out of gas or had to help a friend who has? How do you get gas for your mower?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Huh. I guess everyone besides me is really good at discerning the difference between "1/8 tank: you have five gallons left" and "1/8 tank: poo poo's dry." I haven't ran out a bunch of times, but it's definitely a thing that happens when I misjudge my range by a mile or ten.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Holy poo poo, buddy.

And I'm not stuck on 1/4 tank, but there has just been a page+ long discussion of actively not caring about running on fumes.

I carry a spare 2-gal can in the trunk in case my morning 60s fuel gauge divination is not quite correct. It hasn't been a big deal. But, since I get closer to 10mpg than 15, I usually like to hit Costco or other cheap gas places, so I'm more willing to try to stretch it instead of using the close-but-expensive places.

Different strokes :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powered Descent posted:

I see those all the time. My late night commute home takes me from brightly-lit downtown onto the highway that gradually leads to the deep dark suburbs. There are plenty of people who don't notice their lights are off for a really long time, probably since they can still see fine, and don't realize they're nothing but a shadow in everyone's rear view mirror.

One time I saw a black fox body with no lights on a dark country road at like 8pm. He was also the first one in line, so I have no idea how he could see where he was going at all. I didn't realize he was there until the car behind him (maybe 2 cars up from me) came close enough that I could make out the back of a car in the darkness. IDGI :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of parking assholes, I don't think I've posted this one before.

The space is big enough for two large cars comfortably or three small ones tightly, it ends just out of frame to the right. So I'm really struggling to think of a scenario where this arrangement made any sense.

Maybe they had one or two other smarts parked similarly next to it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BigPaddy posted:

I see it a lot on NA only cars still.

As an example, compare the new Mustang's proper tail lights to the hackjob they did to them to make them ROW compliant

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

NoWake posted:

Who knows, but I've heard you could get older automatics to push-start the engine once you'd gotten them up around 30mph. Newer ones won't let you as they've got solenoids, wizardry, and fluid pumps not driven off the output shaft.

Huh, I know my TH350 has its pump on the input shaft, which older ones don't? I guess Chrysler is known for oddball poo poo like that, maybe it's them.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

shortspecialbus posted:

What's the response time difference when receiving road head?

Less than when giving it, I suspect

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

One of the primary issues with driver competence everything in the world is that the average person simply doesn't care about trying to learn a drat thing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

Cobbler's kids go barefoot.

Also, most classic car guys consider automatic transmissions to be black magic (including myself, because I've never had to learn about them), so he probably wouldn't be able to trivially fix it. Although TH400s (or whatever) are not exactly uncommon in junkyards.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PCOS Bill posted:

Driving home from running some errands earlier I see reds and blues in the distance. As I get closer I see a body in the road with cops all standing around it, three cruisers lit up, and traffic backed up half a mile behind them.

loving TALL RAT got hit and didn't even have the decency to go flying off the road or hobble off half-dead, just became some inedible road venison.

I'm not familiar with that particular ethnic slur.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I was on 101S in SF and some truck let about 100 plastic grocery bags go right in front of me. My destination was only another mile so I just stopped then and one of the bags had melted itself onto my exhaust. I ended up having to chip it off with a screwdriver and even then my car still smelled like a hot glue gun every time it got hot for a month.

Hasn't SF been free of plastic grocery bags for like a decade?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

I started trying DUIs.

I know what you mean by this, but lol at the other interpretation

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fo3 posted:

All you need for videos is the russian vids and the dash cam owners australia vids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kY09CPFirM

I used to think those big bumpers you all seem to have were for wildlife, but I see now that's not the case.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LloydDobler posted:

I almost did that once, because I was a moron and decided that right now during a turn was the time to reset my trip odometer. Let go of the wheel, trapped my arm, car kept turning, oh poo poo. Luckily I thought it through, turned the wheel, pulled out my arm, and straightened out before anything bad happened.

Doesn't that mash up the gears in there to reset it while moving?

insta posted:

I probably got it from this thread, but my favorite thing to do at a light on my motorcycle is wait for somebody to get super-engrossed with their texting, then take off normally for a couple feet into the red light. I never even get to the crosswalk, but seeing a vehicle move in their peripheral vision makes them stomp the gas into crosstraffic, without looking up. It's always really entertaining, at least until one guy ends up taking out a bus of schoolchildren or something.

This is basically how I got rear ended a few months ago. My lane was stopped due to someone farther up not noticing the light had changed, but all the people moving in the adjacent lanes caused the person behind me to mash the gas even though I hadn't started moving yet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hargrimm posted:

How is it easier to steer the opposite end of the vehicle while craning over your shoulder than to basically make a sharp turn.

Cars are more maneuverable when the wheels that turn are on the outside of the spot. I have a really wide, really long car, and I find it's easier to sneak into tight parking situations in reverse than it is to front in, then have to back up and straighten out once or twice. Makes the best use out of my limited turning radius that way.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BitBasher posted:

How might one theoretically fix this if you were working on a car with this kind of filler?

Honestly I've never had that problem, it's just a matter of being able to pull forward enough (rear bumper in line with the pump nozzle) for it to sit without incident, or crouch down and hold the nozzle. :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wolrah posted:

IIRC weren't the license plate filler setups also really vulnerable during rear-end collisions?

Yeah, that's why they stopped making them after '96. It doesn't take much of a bonk at all to bend or break the fuel filler tube.

In fact, I got tapped about a year ago, just enough to dent my bumper, but it also tore the seam at the base of the filler neck, so I only have half the capacity if I don't want it to drip drip drip until it gets down to that line.

Still the best place to put it, IMO. The days I benefit from the convenience of having it there are more than the days I am inconvenienced by idiots crashing into me, lol.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wow, they lasted up to 96?

Yep, the '96 Impala still had it behind the license plate.

Behind the tail light is pretty boss, too, I gotta say.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wolrah posted:

Definitely check the headlight alignment. If you have access to a level surface where you can park facing a wall you can realign most cars' headlights with a screwdriver and a tape measure in less than five minutes. The owner's manual should give you a guide saying to park the car X distance from the wall, measure and mark some spots, then adjust the aim by turning some screws until you hit the mark.

A fairly comprehensive guide: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wasabi the J posted:

Don't believe the oppressors and their tools.

less than a billion? what are these babytown frolics? los angeles, a city of half the size, spends at least twice that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PT6A posted:

I noticed another cyclist blowing through a four-way stop yesterday, near the same place I saw one do the same thing and give me the finger for taking my right-of-way the other day, but this time I paid a little bit more attention to the full situation, and I realized why it was happening: they don't have stop signs, because in each case they were going the wrong way on a one-way street.

Seems like either the bike lanes should be marked to indicate they are one-way only, or an extra stop sign should be added. This is exacerbated by the fact that there are a few two-way bike lanes on one-way streets in my city.

do the bike lanes not have arrows on them? the ones here do.

ive definitely almost eaten poo poo on my bike because someone rounded a corner on their bike into the bike lane going the wrong way on a one-way. bikes are vehicles too but it seems like literally nobody besides me treats them that way

when i was in school and riding to class, out of the hundreds of bicyclists i would see in a week, i think one or two were simultaneously following road rules, in the bike lane, going the right way, wearing a helmet. its insane how prevalent assholes are