Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Women do notice your car, but low slung 2 seater sports cars are largely a turn off. A Range Rover, on the other hand, :getin: It's a near perfect signal for "My boyfriend is both financially secure, or at least willing to invest in my lifestyle, and/or is a ASE master tech."

Source: Go ask your women friends or SOs.

I think that depends more in your social circles than anything else. I couldn't imagine a vehicle worse for impressing woman than a full size Range Rover - it'd be seen a hideously wasteful choice, and in the case of a new one an astoundingly bad financial decision on top of that (I don't think anything depreciates faster than a RR and everyone knows it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Brigdh posted:

So far, I've found the headlight controls on the drivers door, practically under the dash, just below the arm rest, and mixed in with the radio/hvac controls.

Got an example? I'd love to look up some weird dashboard layouts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Falken posted:

e: As far as non standard layouts go, my mother's Hyundai iLoad has the indicator and lights stalk on the right, wipers etc on the left, Makes no loving sense to me.

That is the standard (and correct) layout for RHD markets like Japan, Korea or Australia.

Why its done differently in the UK is anyone's guess - I think its because the Euro guys are too lazy to switch the stalks over so the Japanese manufacturers often just shrug and use the LHD layout.

e I guess not South Korea, but they typically do set their cars up to suit LHD/RHD

dissss fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 9, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Where I live we have annual safety inspections that includes a check of headlight aim.

Interestingly almost all of the vehicles I see with lights aimed far too high are BMWs and Audis that are still too new to have had their first proper inspection (by which I mean not at a dealership) - its like they come from the factory with the lights aimed 'gently caress you all' high.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That's probably a good thing if conditions are truly icy - I've had a few arse-puckering moments on ski-field access roads due to the ABS system in my Nissan not really understanding what to do on ice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My old mans Fiesta does that - can be a bit embarrassing actually

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Opensourcepirate posted:

I saw a bicycle accident today while I was riding home. If only I'd ordered that camera a while earlier.

It wasn't very bad though, and the guy who's mostly at fault probably isn't legally at fault. Basically there were a few of us cyclists coming up on the right at about the speed of traffic. Most cars were giving us a few feet, but some guy in an Audi was driving super close to us. There was a parked car jutting out an extra two feet up ahead, so the cyclist in front of me pulled out into the street a bit, and took his time doing it / looking back at the Audi to make sure he wouldn't get hit. As he was looking back, the car in front of him slowed down and he crashed into it.

So who exactly do you think is 'mostly at fault' there?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

e- also gently caress New Jersey, I'm a grown rear end man I can pump my own gas :(

I'll bet there is a story behind why you can't

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Why not just implement DRLs as normal low beam headlights (and obviously tail lamps)?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

"Appropriate RPM" is definitely one if the things where I find it irritating to have to meet the expectations of a tester who knows far less than I do about cars or driving. So much poo poo is decades out of date, if not flat out wrong.

I sat my license in a 1990 Honda Integra with the B16a.

Although I didn't fail I did get told off for 'driving in 4th gear' on the high speed section even though I had shifted into 5th. Guess the instructor didn't know about annoyingly short gearing and couldn't be bothered to actually look what position the gear stick was in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

purpleandgold posted:

Confession: I'm sorry. I'm the jerk with xenon headlights that make it look like my brights are on when they aren't.

Apology not accepted - If you re aware of the problem then why not just fix it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with xenons, as long as they're aimed correctly. Sure, they're more annoying than normal headlights, but they're legal. If yours are aimed incorrectly however you have no excuse, that's generally easy to fix, and even if it isn't you're going to cause an accident some day if you don't get it fixed.

If they 'make it look like my brights are on when they aren't' then either they're mis-aimed or are in inappropriate housings.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wayfinder posted:

Did I miss any? :sigh:

• Your car was made in Germany (in which case its pointless because your fog lamps front and read will be blinding everyone anyway)
  • Your car was made in France (in which case the switch is probably broken anyway)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Citroen DS4 has a customizable turn signal sound. Some of them are pretty obnoxious, much like the space retards who don't use their signals before major turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl2sz61tNkU

That's actually a great idea (it actually works properly)

My grandfather had a buzzer installed in his Holden Astra just because the indicator click was too soft and he was always leaving them on.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I can't see any scenario where it'd be desirable to have the front lights on but not the tails lit up a it seems like it would have been trivial to just implement it that way.

Are people really concerned about wearing out tail lamp bulbs or something?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

110hp is my high water mark. :colbert:

Someday I'll have a midlife crisis and buy a gas guzzler but to this point when it's car buying time it's always "what's cheapest to get me to to work?"

That's kind of the opposite where I live - a ten year old Civic or Polo or whatever will sell for way more than a Maxima sized vehicle of the same age

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ror posted:

Some people just leave them on all the time if they live in the city. And again, a lot of them are the ones with really expensive cars. It really brings the whole look down. It's a bummer. :smith:

I'd have thought that would just end up trapping dirt and grit and causing paint damage anyway

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The braille method is pretty much how people park around here and I've never had any paint transfer onto my car - just a bunch of cracked paint and damage on the front bumper from tow bars. You'd have to hit quite hard bumper to bumper to do any significant damage (assuming both cars have plastic bumpers at roughly compatible heights)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Also......what kind of old rear end poo poo doesn't have a clutch safety switch (requiring you to old the clutch in to start it)?

Seems like its a USA thing - its definitely not common elsewhere.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Also, gently caress the xenons in BMW X5s. I have yet to see one that was adjusted in a non-blinding fashion.

German cars (BMWs and Audis in particular) just seem to be aimed too high right from the factory. Around here it seems they only get corrected once the car is out of warranty (i.e. no longer has its safety inspections done at the dealership)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Crankit posted:

What's the feeling about people who have their fog lights on all the time?

Fronts? So long as they're not aimed too high I don't see it as a big deal. Rears on the other hand annoy me far more - they're unbelievably distracting and worse on some cars it makes it all but impossible to see the brake lamps.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bizwank posted:

I dunno about any other Audis, but my '11 A3 auto-levels the headlights every time I turn them on to account for current weight distribution in the car.

I bet they're still consistently too high.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Its something that really needs to be legislated - there should be a certain amount of basic functionality accessible without having to go into a touch interface (even if its just temp, defrost, radio off and volume)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Why on earth don't they just equip every police car with a breath screening device? Even the cheap ones have got to be more accurate than some dumb test (and a hell of a lot less annoying too)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

That's what I get posting a picture from my phone.

If you put an 'l' just before the .jpg imgur will give you a reasonably sized version of the image.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

How would that have helped?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

jamal posted:

Well yeah. The problem I see if that it also turns on the instrument cluster lights so if you are driving down a well lit road it's easy to not realize the headlights aren't on. I can remember two times where I've gone to the parking lights while waiting for someone in a parking lot and then started driving down the street before I remembered my headlights were off.

A lot of cars have the cluster lights permanently lit anyway

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

What's wrong with a photo-resistor and a relay?

The one on my car leaves the lights off for far longer than I think is prudent - it has to be really quite dark before they kick in which isn't great on grey sedan.

Also there are plenty of other reduced visibility situations where you should have the lights on but there is still quite a lot of ambient light.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

pimpedlightsaber posted:

That's my biggest issue with automatic lights, when it's raining/foggy and people just cruise along with DRL's (or nothing) on. If a car has automatic lights they should also turn on with the wipers, since apparently no one remembers how to turn them on manually. It's dark and rainy right now, so it should be a fun drive home seeing silver/white cars all over the place with no lights on.

I still think DRLs should just be low beam headlights that switch on with the ignition - I can't see any real drawbacks aside from maybe having to replace headlight bulbs a bit more often (I've never gotten the argument that having tail lights on makes the brake lights harder to see)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Not sure what you're on about there - never had any such issues with any of my auto cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Siochain posted:

I do that all the time, with any vehicle. Partially because I don't want some fuckknob to box me in/ding my ride. Partially because I'm a fatass and can use the walk.

Me too - my silver sedan may be generic and somewhat dinged up already but that doesn't mean I want it to look any worse.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Presented without comment

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PT6A posted:

If you're rolling back every time, or even most of the time, on a hill start then you're a bad driver. On the other hand, it's something that I believe everyone fucks up now and again, just like I don't believe any manual driver that says they never stall. It's just a thing that happens because people aren't perfect all the time. It might be twice a year or even less, but it still happens.

If you use the parking brake you won't roll back at all. It isn't that hard, and I really don't understand why it isn't the technique taught when you are learning to drive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wayfinder posted:

It is, just not in your country :clint:

Actually it is in my country - I was adjusting for the US majority

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

dpidz0r posted:

I think the point was that the people who drive their cars in that condition are the same ones who drive on an expired license with no insurance. To them another law just means one more thing to ignore. Meanwhile, the rest of us who are responsible and actually maintain our cars get slapped with yet another set of fees and bureaucratic hoops to jump through.

I don't see how a yearly inspection is such a hoop to jump through - for the 99% of people that don't do their own maintenance the car should be in for servicing at least that often anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

It's ok as long as it's a safety inspection. If it gets to "oh no, that's not a factory-spec or otherwise approved air intake, even though your emissions themselves are in spec, so gently caress you", then it becomes something else.

Definitely agree with that - once and inspection regime is in place there is definitely the temptation for the authorities to start adding non-safety stuff (here exhaust noise is actually part of the inspection)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

New Jersey drivers must really blow goats. I'm a 22 year old single male, in Chicago, with a poo poo GPA, one speeding ticket and an accident on my record, but to insure my 05 civic under my own name was only $95 a month. Even on an 04 miata, which is technically a sports car even though it has basically the same engine as my civic, I got quoted $130 a month

Its interesting how insurance differs around the world.

In New Zealand where you park seems to have way more effect than the actual car (or even its value) which is why I'm paying virtually the same for my new Mazda 3 than I was for my old Skykine despite the new car being insured for three times the amount the old one was. The main factor is I parknon street in a fairly crummy area, and have made several claims for getting hit while parked.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think it makes much difference - lots of idiots text while driving manuals too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I came outside to this earlier:

Someone had parked more than insanely close to my car. The bolts holding their license plate on were almost touching my bumper.

This is what pisses me off the most:

I think they might have had room to not park like a total dick.

There is an extremely battered Camry wagon in my street that likes to park like that as a matter of course. The funny thing is as near as I can tell they've never actually hit my car (or anyone else's for that matter) and I've looked very closely indeed for damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Waiting for a goon from Victoria to chime in
I'm glad I live in Western Australia. In Victoria you'll get a fine for going 3km/hr over.
In WA they're not bothered with 5km/hr over, and if they were, it's $50 and no points on your licence.

In NZ they've said any amount over will result in a ticket.

In practice it seems 5km/h over is still pretty safe, and I think you'd have a reasonable chance of challenging anything under that given none of this equipment is as accurate as it is made out to be