Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Light-W...collision+laser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's a good commercial.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MrOnBicycle posted:

Could also double as a ad targeted to to pedestrians. Please look before you cross a road, even if you think you are in the right. The amount of people I see just walking straight out is scary. Sure, I see them, but mr/miss text-a-lot in the car that comes the next time they cross might not.
I watched a handicapped guy in an electric wheelchair cross without looking once, against a red light, got hit by a car hard, him and his chair thrown way through the intersection. He left the scene conscious but with a skull fracture and later died due to some unrelated mistake made at the hospital I believe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Siochain posted:

There is an actual term for this. I can't find it for the life of me, but its effectively a sort of cognitive dissonance. You are SO SURE you are hitting the brake, but the car is going faster, so I need to hit the brakes harder, and its a feedback/panic cycle loop.
Damnit, my googling is failing, but I read some articles and a paper on it right when the massive "Toyota unintended Acceleration" drama ensued, aka 99% of the cases were floormats and people having brain farts.

I recall reading an article in one of the big car magazines a year or two ago after the latest unintended acceleration news headlines. It was basically debunking it all. One of the things they mentioned is that every single unintended acceleration case the NHTSA has ever investigated was determined to be either driver error or fraud. A car has never been at fault in any case they investigated.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

xzzy posted:

BRAKE. THE CORRECT WORD IS BRAKE. :tizzy:
This should be probationable in AI, surely.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As someone who watches a lot of motor racing, it looked to me like all of them took horrible lines through that corner. I would have thought carrying speed through corners would be even more important on bicycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
In the northeast US there are virtually 0 roads like this because the roads are built without massive earth dams on their sides and the roadsides are mowed regularly. How did the roads over there end up like that? Is that just what happens to roads when they're used as cow paths for 800 years and then paved or something?