Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I rented a newer Subara Legacy and spent a good 5 minutes at a gas station poring over the owner's manual trying to find out how to open the drat fuel door. Turns out the latch to open it was just hidden under the driver's floor mat. I had a similar experience with the Chevy Cruz I'd rented a week before, you have to 'click' the fuel door to get it to release so you can open it. Not very intuitive.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
In the case of a reported crossing malfunction, it'll be noted on the engineer's dispatch form with the milepost location and the engineer should be familiar enough with the territory to prepare to stop for it. Operating rules (on CSX territory) state that all trains have to stop before the crossing and have the conductor get out to block traffic before the train can enter it. Hopefully he'll light a red flare, hopefully he'll have his vest on. Hopefully the signal maintainer can get out there before this goes on for too much longer.
As far as the horn, engineers are allowed to blow it whenever they drat well please, quiet zones are for courtesy and only if the crossings in them have full gates, lane delineators etc. approved by the railroad/FRA.

And yeah, I'll cruise the right lane of the Ohio Turnpike for my entire trip and still pass 75% of the traffic on the road. No, I'm not swooping from behind someone not giving them time to change lanes, it's usually me coming up on them from a mile out with the right lane clear for them the whole time. It's gotten to the point where I'm actually a little annoyed by slow traffic using the right lane, as backwards as that is.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I got popped for "running a red light" the other night as I took a left turn approaching a green arrow, which went yellow then red as I passed through the intersection. The officer who chased me down said it was "totally red", I insisted that I was already past the stop bar when the light changed. The Revised Code for my state (and I've pored over them thoroughly) says unequivocally that you're allowed to enter an intersection on yellow just as you would on green, and also states that all traffic lights must to comply with Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices.. which sets a minimum yellow time of 4 seconds for a 40mph approach while this intersection is yellow for a hair less than 3.

I shot a video of the phase change the next day, I've timed the yellow over and over with a stopwatch and can't get more than 2.9 seconds.
e: Jesus gently caress it's loud (The wind noise is pretty loud, so watch out.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=180UIoliUb4

Another point of contention I've got is that from where the officer was sitting, there's no way he could have witnessed both my car behind the stop bar and the light changing from yellow to red at the same time. Unless he's got iguana eyes or was staring straight at the corner gas station and going purely on 180° peripheral vision, if he was able to see my car while the light was changing, I was already in the intersection. Otherwise, it's a 90° swing of the head and a 15' drop to catch a bang-bang play in the dark.

My path is in green below, officer is the star, red circle is the traffic signal.

I work nights so my days are completely free, and since neither the ticket nor my insurance discriminates between a "just turned red on me" situation from a "gently caress it, let's plow straight through cross traffic" offense, I figure I should contest it while I've got a legitimate case. I'm ultimately hoping the officer doesn't show up, but I've done my homework and I'm prepared. I don't drive nearly as much as I used to with my old job, but I think a dash cam might still end up on this year's wish list.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 2, 2013

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My mother drives a '00 VW New Beetle, I basically do all the maintenance for her and I don't mind. A few nights ago she called and asked me to come check out her tail lights, apparently they're both burnt out and she got pulled over. I'm not one to ask condescending questions like "Well is your computer plugged in?" but I asked anyway, and she told me that yes she had her lights on. I braced myself for what I thought sounded like a melted harness since two bulbs popping at the same time is pretty rare.

Went over and checked it out; all brake lights were good, both tail lights were good. Puzzling. Why did she get pulled over? Well, New Beetles have DRL's which are always on when the engine is running and the parking brake is disengaged, but the tail lights are not included in the DRL function. So, she was driving along in the dark and in the rain with her headlights on, aware that she could see, but unaware that nobody behind her could see her.

Terrible design.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
As I'm walking my dog this morning, I notice a lady from my complex driving out of the lot at 2mph with her wipers going full tilt. We got a little snow overnight here and her windshield is covered in ice top to bottom and side to side, the ice was caked on and wipers weren't doing poo poo for her. I waved her down and offered to clean her windshield off, as my car and the ice scraper inside were literally 15 feet away.

"No thanks hun, I've got the defroster on, I can see a little bit out the bottom" *rolls window back up, creeps away in the dark*

NoWake fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 6, 2013

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Welp, just read on the news that my neighbor hit and killed a guy last night. The guy he hit was crossing against a green light in a wheelchair, and both parties were elderly males. The wheelchair had no business being in the crosswalk against the green, but who knows, he might have been gotten stuck in the snow at the curb cut or something. Meanwhile, I've seen my neighbor's car repaired twice in the past 6 months from the fender benders he's gotten into, and it's almost ironic that he's had a little guy in a wheelchair decorating his rearview mirror.

It's a tragedy all around, neither of these gentlemen set out last night with the intention getting into a terrible accident. I haven't really been anticipating the upcoming future of driverless cars, but as the boomer generation blossoms into infirmity and stupid poo poo like this happens more and more, I'm starting to feel like it can't come soon enough.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 16, 2013

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
On the flip side, I recently got a lady to flip me off and shout angrily into her closed driver's side window by remaining stopped at my stop sign while she tried to 'wave me through' the intersection. It was a two-way stop and her street was the through street while mine had the stop, she sat there waving, flashing and honking for a good 20 seconds before she apparently got fed up with me.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

cursedshitbox posted:

I always try to wedge my vehicle with my passenger side against their driverside. Climb over your console you gently caress!

ding my door because youre pissed? no fucks given, rocks do it all the time.

bonus points if someone blocks their passenger side too.

I did exactly this to a newish Lincoln double parked at my complex this summer. I backed in along his driver's side leaving one inch of space between our side mirrors and one inch of space between my wheels and the curb at the end of the row. It was a perfect fit. :cawg:

.. A few days later, I came to find the Lincoln was the personal car of the Ohio State Trooper who lives in my building. Way to get put on the poo poo list, NoWake. :doh:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Terrible Robot posted:

One could argue that it already does effect the performance of the trailer if you account for all the additional weight it adds. I know it's probably pretty trivial overall but I bet fuel savings and what-not over time would really add up.

In terms of making it easier to clear the trailers off, how feasible would it be to do an industrial scale defroster grid on the roof/underside of the trailer. Leave it running all night when you're parked and no need to worry about being a rolling whiteout the next day, switch to underside heating to keep the ice off while on the road. Or would the amount of amperage needed to power something like that use up enough extra fuel that it out-weigh the potential fuel savings to begin with?

I've heard that out of everything, including headlights, fuel pumps and ignition systems, the biggest current draw on a car is the defroster. Cadillacs that came with heated windshields in the 90's had an additional wiring harness that tapped directly into a beefed-up 140 amp alternator. The draw from such a system on a 53'x8' surface would be tremendous, you'd be better off coating the top and underside of the trailer with rain-x or that new NeverWet stuff.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Some dipshit in the oncoming lane pulled a left directly in front of me during my morning commute, I locked 'em up and went from 60-0 in less than the width of the intersection. The fucker didn't stop and was long-gone by the time I thought to get their plate, and since it was a beige mid-2000's 4-door, there's basically no chance of recognizing them in the future. I can't wait to see my skid mark tomorrow morning, though!

The good news, my body and my car both live to fight another day. The bad, one or more of my tires have a noticeable flat spot in them now and I don't know if they'll get better or worse the more I drive. The road through the intersection is incredibly abrasive raked concrete, probably saved my rear end but must have acted like a cheese grater on sliding rubber.

The bump-bump-bump I feel is no more severe than what you'd feel running over crosswalk striping, but it wasn't there before and it's a point of concern. Thoughts?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The driver is passing on the right, which might actually matter in a country where people have a clue about lane discipline. I count one, two lanes on the far right completely devoid of traffic while the four on the right move along at their own pace.

Driving long distance, 90% of the traffic I'll pass is by me simply remaining in the far right lane. So many people get on the interstate, steer to the middle lane under the pretense of avoiding all the slow traffic, and then just go to sleep tailgating one another.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wallaka posted:

At the same roundabout I've seen 5 or 6 people go around counterclockwise, had a guy today inside the roundabout yield to every car that was waiting to enter. Fuckin' Alabama.

Hopefully more than 6 people went counterclockwise, but I know what you meant.

Back on my college campus, there was a street that dead-ended into a roundabout and 3 parking lot entrances. One of the shuttle bus routes I drove used it as a turnaround, and it seemed every day that I'd come head-to-head with some fucker taking a shortcut into their 9 o'clock entrance. I started taking the loop so that my rear end was as close to the inside curb as possible, and come to a complete stop blocking the whole thing when someone would cut through. They'd get pissed and wave for me to move, get right up to the side of the bus... ain't happening dude, I can sit here and wait all day.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=palm...+43607&t=h&z=19

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I took some inspiration from Gandhi, "Be the terrible you want to see on the road"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UALFVE5EElU

My wagon's rear window squirter is built into the wiper motor and the fluid actually passes through the axis of the wiper arm. German over-engineering at it's best. After 20 years in the sun, the 90 degree nozzle breaks off and turns your car into a vehicular pissing Calvin. It's only $20 to replace the nozzle, but why would you?

e: phone posting is hard

NoWake fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 9, 2014

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The thing that pissed me off most about the speedbumps around my gf's building wasn't that they were outrageously severe, it was that everybody, everybodywent WOT on the other side of them instead of gliding relatively silently though the lot. The bumps were spaced about every 50yds and there were 3 of them, it was a constant *vrooom* *thump thump* *vrooom* *thump thump* morning noon and night. You started to recognise the neighbors and their schedule, their car's maintenance schedule, and hell even their current attitude by their exhaust note.

The speed bumps did nothing to curb speeding, if anything people sped up even faster between them. If I'd lived there myself, I'm sure I would have found myself out there with a pickaxe taking the drat things out.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Melting Eggs posted:

The Malibu driver coming to a stop was an idiot move for sure, but still no excuse. In rush-hour traffic, going 40-70mph and being forced to a sudden stop isn't exactly rare. Wrecks, debris in the road, idiot Malibu drivers, etc. Even in non rush-hour traffic it isn't rare, a moose in the road for example.

I agree with you that the parties behind the Malibu share some of the fault of the accident, but the way the law is written in Ohio, the Malibu is absolved of all responsibility whereas he should reasonably share some of it for stopping on the highway for no reason. Reasonably, the cops should share some responsibility for causing the situation as well. At the very minimum, they should have had lights and flashers lit to make everyone on the road aware of their presence.

All of us drive down the road with the expectation that the traffic around us will behave in a predictable manner. All of the experience we've gained since day 1 behind the wheel goes into the second-to-second decisions we make. Consciously or not, good drivers study the pattern of traffic around them looking for anything that sticks out. Even when tailgating, a good driver will feel 'safe' doing so because they're scanning ahead for obstructions in front of the car or the few cars they're following. If you see traffic slowing down ahead of the car in front of you, you'll instinctively slow down as well regardless if the guy in front of you hits their brakes or not. Likewise, you'll probably see the moose or deer pop out in front of the car you're tailing just as they see it, and slow down just as quickly as they do. I'm not writing this to condone tailgating, but to try and explain why even attentive and otherwise safe drivers occasionally will.

The accident happened, as most accidents do, because the Malibu broke the pattern and did something the other drivers didn't expect. They came to an immediate stop on the highway with no visual cue to help the drivers predict that they would do so. The cars behind him might have given up their safe stopping distance because 99% of the time, traffic doesn't come to a complete stop for no reason.

You see the pattern broken when someone cuts you off without a signal or blows the light you just saw go red. The pattern is broken when someone drives after dark with no headlights or weaves in their lane. A good driver recognizes these patterns and adjusts their driving or attention in time to avoid these people, and in this case, the Audi drivers couldn't adjust their driving quick enough.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2014

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Fuller9x posted:

Yes, the traffic circle of doom with it's own very set of rules because, you know, traffic circles, and a train line running through the middle that has 20 minute trains every 10 minutes during rush hours. They know exactly when to push peoples buttons.

I couldn't believe anyone would design such a thing, but lo and behold:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Calg...2,12.65,,0,8.91

Oh hey, those are all of my company's crossing panels, looks like they're holding up well! :D

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

CannonFodder posted:

New post to attach image

I had the weirdest thing happen to me once in Nevada. I was heading east on I-80, and the truck is governed to 68 while the speed limit is 75. A blue Prius kept passing me, and then I finally caught up to him and found out what he was doing. He was stopping at every exit and taking a picture of the exit sign, and then hopping back on the highway, getting up to 80 and passing me (in a loving Prius) and then stopping at the next exit 6 miles down the road for another picture. loving bizarre.

Attached is a lovely picture of the fucker.

I believe you've just spotted Lycos's street view car.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

B4Ctom1 posted:

I AM TIRED OF THIS WHITE loving BULLSHIT EVERYWHERE

IN MY loving DRIVEWAY

ON MY loving CAR

IM NOT loving CLEANING ANY MORE OF THIS loving poo poo

This, but about road salt :barf:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Thanksgiving is a pretty goony time to start an argument on face book, but dammit I wish she would have gotten a ticket. give 'em all tickets.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

atomicthumbs posted:

The use of "turnpike" makes me think it's one of those bizarre Eastern states where you pay extra to use roads and can't pump your own gas and everything's all backwards and strange.

She was on the Ohio Turnpike, which is 3 lanes for ~100 miles either way from Cleveland to Toledo with only about a dozen exits in between. Everybody following nose to tail at 70 in the middle lane means everyone going a bit faster (70-75) will be in the far left lane passing them, clogging it, leaving those who want to go faster (75-80) to dart between lanes and cars or tailgate people trying to get through the clog.

IMO, impatient or frustrated drivers makes for far more dangerous driving conditions than just speed alone. I think the people sticking to the middle lane do it so they don't have to be bothered with changing lanes to pass slower traffic, they can basically go to sleep the entire ride.

When I take the pike I stick to the far right lane and end up passing almost everybody in the middle and far left lanes, while changing lanes only once or twice every five miles or so for slower traffic. I'd love to pass on the left exclusively, if people would only let me.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've found that a half a sticker from a Jimmy John's sub will fit nicely over a registration sticker without looking too out of place. Park with your rear end end over my driveway? Enjoy some nice probable cause.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'm betting that I'd be the one found at fault but as it almost happened, I have to ask about this scenario: it's 4:45pm and well past sunset, I'm waiting in a left turn lane against moderate oncoming traffic doing 45-50. What I thought was a gap in traffic turned out to be an idiot in a black GMC with no headlights, I got about a quarter through my turn before I saw him and he had to swerve like crazy.

I've heard OBD2 cars save telemetry data after an airbag deployment, do you suppose headlight switch position would be recorded? Would it even matter, since technically I would have infringed on his right of way?

Either way regardless of who is right and wrong, I'm glad I noticed him in time to prevent a totaled car and a stay in the hospital.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I stopped following the dashcam thread a few months ago, but I think it's high time to dip back into it. My family has been bugging me for gift ideas and I can never think of a thing I desperately want or need.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've been hearing about this all day while driving the first leg of my Miami -> Chicago trip. Terribly tragic.

This is the part from what I'd specifically heard about the pileup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qdeke9MFGI

:stare::hf::toot:

I was stuck in a 1-hour backup myself tonight along I-75 NB just North of Marietta, Georgia; apparently a teenager had been hit by a semi truck while helping their dad change a flat tire on the side of the road.

Travel safe out there, goons.

e: just watched the first video in its entirety, JFC that is horrifying.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 10, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Solar Coaster posted:

Found on Imgur...

I see these tank commanders around here when it's cold, but I've never actually seen an accident before.

Of course it's better for all parties to hand this off to the police/insurance and move on with life, but this is a situation where I'd lawyer up & sue out of spite. It isn't an accident when it's willful ignorance, more like being maliciously lazy. Hopefully he didn't say the words 'minor damage & no injuries' to anybody at the scene and he left in an ambulance.

fake edit: even Nissan wants no part of this

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

When you show up late to the auction, you get what you get.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

The Locator posted:

This seems strangely appropriate after many of the recent 'winter' posts in this thread. Ignore the meme, it's all about the photo.

Stolen from George Takai's FB page:

This bug driver uses ONE WEIRD TRICK to get heat in the winter! ACVW nerds HATE him!
the cooling air intakes on the rear deck are completely covered

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Michael Scott posted:

Good luck establishing fault in an accident where both headlights likely would've been shattered.

I've heard there's a forensic difference between a bulb that broke while it was lit vs. a bulb that broke when it wasn't lit vs. a bulb that had burned out long ago.. but I'm sure the only way this comes about is if there was a fatality or someone felt like spending more on a lawyer than what it would cost out to replace a car out of pocket.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I thought that was standard bus driving practice.

Pretty much. 13 tons doesn't respond much differently whether you feather the throttle or punch it, and the 62 mph governor keeps you close to legal on anything with a speed limit of 55+. I'm saying this with about 50% hyperbole, but any time my boot wasn't on the brake, it was mashing the go button to the floor. The *thump* of the accelerator heard in the Tesla P85 videos reminded me of every stop light I ever left.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Coming back to this thread with 50 new replies:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

Was following a guy who had his brake lights on entire 5 or so miles I was behind him.

The first time I went shopping for bearing grease, I noticed there were two types on the shelf - general, multipurpose grease and grease specifically for Ford-Lincoln-Mercury vehicles. I remember hearing their spec for higher-temp bearing grease wasn't due to some unique axle design, but that their owners tended to rest a foot on the brake pedal while driving.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Everyone featured in this video behaved like a complete idiot.. some more aggressively than others, but still.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

Pfft, I passed double that in Chicago this morning which has a decent snow going on right now.

And so many tank commanders, I guess everyone had thought winter was over and put all their brushes in storage.

The highway department out here in the 'burbs must have put their salt spreaders in storage, the road was covered in a good 1/4" of ice the entire way in this morning. I was kind of surprised nobody had made it into the ditches yet, but none of us were doing more than 10-15mph either.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The only people I've seen fly through my neighborhood are in cop cars, either heading to or from the cop shop at the end of my street.
My street is so cracked up though, nobody else goes more than 20 despite the street being signed for 30.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Maybe Letterman's last show put them in the mood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFp9hkb-ok&t=75s

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The only difference between a typical RV pilot and Class B CDL driver is that the CDL driver can take 54+ people down with him

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I rear-ended someone who'd stopped on chartruse last week.

I was doing 50, the limit, in the empty left lane passing slower traffic in the right, when they jumped into my lane going significantly slower and stopped immediately as the light blinked yellow. I remember seeing their van lurch when they stopped. I had already been slowing down with my foot over the brake pedal when they entered my lane, and I jammed on the brake pedal in a panic when I saw them stop for the yellow. Literal knee-jerk reaction. It didn't help any that it was a downhill grade to the intersection, and the road was super slick from the rain, and there was an initial speed differential between us of 25mph or so.

I got away with a tow bill, a citation, and a few panels of sheet metal to source and replace. The driver of the van was arrested for no license or insurance, and basically shouldn't have been on the road in the first place.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

go3 posted:

last year a procession got held up trying to cross tracks because hey its a train and people were really angry that Union Pacific didn't have the train stop for some guys funeral

i hate people

You gotta wonder if the mortuary had an angle here, a move like that is pretty good for business.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Rear-ended a lady last month who swore all through her arrest booking that she hadn't swerved into my lane just before she stood on her brakes for a light that had just turned yellow. There is no way I could have avoided the accident, I was doing the speed limit while she merged into my lane well within the braking distance envelope, then immediately stopped. She earned herself a trip to jail for no license as well as a check for $1,700 care of my insurance company; I earned a citation and a month of public transit while scrounging around for fresh sheet metal.

I don't think there's a law against stopping for a light just turned yellow, but I'm planning to fight the citation on the basis that I wasn't responsible for the accident, it was her for not exercising due care for other people on the road. Legally, she shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. I had been doing 50mph approaching a green light with nobody in front of me, and I probably could have still stopped short of her after she swerved into my lane had I been in a car with ABS and the pavement wasn't slick with rain. After much soul-searching, I still don't think there was anything I could have done differently to avoid the accident.

Got a dash cam so I won't be the victim of he-said-she-said again.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

eriddy posted:

I was under the impression that there's almost no way out of being liable for an accident if you rear end someone. I'd like to know if you have any luck out of that one.

We'll see in another month, I've got nothing to lose fighting the citation. Had she come into my lane from a side road, she would be most at fault for failure to yield. Same type of impact, same results. But I'm automatically considered "following too close" when she cuts right in front of me from lane 1 to lane 2, something I had no control over. Hopefully I can plead my case to an understanding judge, and I feel like her being unlicensed might give me a leg up.

Having the citation thrown out would get an at-fault accident off my otherwise clean driving record, and may give me better grounds to file a claim against the other party's insurance (can't believe they had insurance) for them being at least partially at fault.