Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
Customer: Girl in her early 20's

"We replaced the CPS and the spark amp on your 940 and that seems to have solved the stalling and no start issue, however we noticed that your radiator has multiple large leaks in it. It won't hold coolant and we strongly recommend that you replace it..."

"O.K."

"... great, we can order one now and have it in by the end of the day..."

"Oh, no I don't want you to replace it... I'll just keep topping it up with water."

"Well that will be an issue seeing as it won't hold anything"

"Alright I'll be by before closing to pick it up"

"So... you don't want us to get you a new radiator"

"Nope, Thanks for getting it running! I love this car!"

One week later...

"Hi, I'm the girl with the old Volvo that needs a radiator... I guess it really really needs a radiator. Everytime I pour water in it comes right out."

The car was in immaculate... aside from the radiator and typical old Volvo stuff which they've always fixed promptly. We don't see too many rwd Volvos in our shop that have survived their lives in North East Ohio that are in that good of condition. I'm glad she fixed it finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010
I put in an additional fog light on the right side of my 855, so if someone is riding my rear end I flip the rear fogs and it looks like I'm break checking them. It works like 40% of the time... which is better than nothing.

I work at an independent Swedish car shop. One of the first things I look for when I do my initial inspection is check if they have their rear fog on. If they do I turn it off. I've slowly and surely been waging a war against rear fogs left on.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Plinkey posted:

e: for reference:

Of Love and Regret sounds like a restaurant that I really really want to eat at.

Story to share:
A couple of weeks ago my friend was driving into work in heavy but steadily moving rush hour traffic. He is cruising in the left lane behind an S8 and some dude in a Malibu moving past slower traffic. They come up over a crest and the police have a speed trap set up in the center median with 3 cars and a couple of officers clocking speeders and waving them over to the side of the road to give them tickets. The dude in the Malibu gets clocked and the officer waves him over to the side of the road, and what does the driver do? Thats, right. Locks them up in the left lane at 65mph and comes to a dead stop in the middle of rush hour freeway traffic. S8 plows into the back of the Malibu and my buddie plows into the back of the S8. The only saving grace is he was driving his girlfriends car and not his ur-S4 and the S8 driver is also an Audi geek and knew that he was almost in tears about hitting his car. But now the Malibu kid is suing my friend, because according to the state of Ohio its his fault.

Bonus: The officers told my friend that every year they run speed traps in this area and they get about 900 tickets and 4-5 accidents exactly like that. What blows my mind is they are willing to accept that risk. My friend had 3 options. Dodge right and plow into a minivan, dodge left and plow into a couple of police officers standing on the side of the road killing them, or plow into the S8. None of those options are "safe". Yes, he should have had assured cleared distance. According to my drivers ed class its one car length per 10mph. At 65mph thats 6 1/2 car lengths... which is never going to happen in rush hour traffic. To keep distance you'd have to travel 40mph with your hazards on and even then 3 cars are going to move into that gap and you'll slow down further.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

Sviatoslav posted:

Story to share:
A couple of weeks ago my friend was driving into work in heavy but steadily moving rush hour traffic. He is cruising in the left lane behind an S8 and some dude in a Malibu moving past slower traffic. They come up over a crest and the police have a speed trap set up in the center median with 3 cars and a couple of officers clocking speeders and waving them over to the side of the road to give them tickets. The dude in the Malibu gets clocked and the officer waves him over to the side of the road, and what does the driver do? Thats, right. Locks them up in the left lane at 65mph and comes to a dead stop in the middle of rush hour freeway traffic. S8 plows into the back of the Malibu and my buddie plows into the back of the S8. The only saving grace is he was driving his girlfriends car and not his ur-S4 and the S8 driver is also an Audi geek and knew that he was almost in tears about hitting his car. But now the Malibu kid is suing my friend, because according to the state of Ohio its his fault.

Bonus: The officers told my friend that every year they run speed traps in this area and they get about 900 tickets and 4-5 accidents exactly like that. What blows my mind is they are willing to accept that risk. My friend had 3 options. Dodge right and plow into a minivan, dodge left and plow into a couple of police officers standing on the side of the road killing them, or plow into the S8. None of those options are "safe". Yes, he should have had assured cleared distance. According to my drivers ed class its one car length per 10mph. At 65mph thats 6 1/2 car lengths... which is never going to happen in rush hour traffic. To keep distance you'd have to travel 40mph with your hazards on and even then 3 cars are going to move into that gap and you'll slow down further.

Update: My friend took it to court and as of today the ticket and fault of the accident was dismissed. So good on him. Just to make it clear (as there was some confusion) the police were on the side of the road waving speeders over, and instead of pulling on to the shoulder of the road and slowing down like a normal human in such instances, Malibu dude does a full 60-0mph stop in the left lane of the road. You can't prepare for that kind of stupid, and if you tried you'd never get in another car ever.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

wolrah posted:

For anyone who doesn't realize just how bad it is in this country, this is the route I was directed to follow for my driving test in 2002 in Medina, Ohio:

From what I've heard through friends' younger siblings it hasn't changed much other than that the BMV is now in the building at the center of the block they had me circle. They still basically just go around the block.

Standard five cone "maneuverability" test, then around the back of the strip mall. Left at a light on to the 35 MPH main road, another left at a light, right at a light, right at a four-way, right at a light, and right back in to the parking lot. Nothing remotely challenging, no speed limits higher than 35, all lefts are protected. If you can gently caress this up cars are not for you, IMO.

Ha! Your test was far more complicated than mine was back in 03 in Chardon, OH. Drive out of the BMV cross rt44. Pull into a development, turn around in the first cul de sac, and return to BMV. The only "tricky" part was when you are driving through the parking lot of the BMV there is a painted stop mark on the pavement with no red sign and if you blow that you fail.

After watching 90% of drivers act like total loving retards on 480 every day I feel like its well within my rights to buy a $500 beater and drive it into the Ohio statehouse as means of protest against the abysmal driving standards set by my god awful state.