Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Crankit posted:

So in an early car crash there wasn't just the danger of the crash but also an acetylene explosion?

So on a totally related note, here's a great set of photos of early car crashes in and around Boston.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_public_library/sets/72157626646768526/

Based on what I'm seeing in these photos, I doubt you'd need to worry too much about an acetylene explosion if you were in a car wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The following distance is completely insane, but man am I ever glad I don't live in the UK. I'm not condoning that sort of behavior, but I'd be lying if I said I'd never driven close to that speed on the highway. However, I did it in the wee hours of the morning when there wasn't another car in sight. I just hope that a big part of that 3 year license suspension and 300 hours unpaid work sentence was based on the following distance and (given that it was daytime) proximity of other motorists. Also, I have to wonder how powerful the zoom lens on that camera is.

Edit: Given that it says 288 m in the corner, that's a lot of zoom in use there, so the following distance isn't anywhere near as close as it looks.

Edit again: I stand corrected, that's nuts.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 29, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Phantasium posted:

My commute is 4 minutes. 4.

This happened to me today. Some jackass in a lovely van decided to make an illegal u-turn following the red line during rush hour while I'm the yellow. Fairly standard road douchebaggery that I'm not typically used to, but then he had the gall to try and get into the lane I was in which caused me to have to push over into the far right lane (which I was going to do anyway). Cue honking and flipping of the bird, he can go gently caress himself.

Bonus points! That's not even a turn lane, if you were to just turn left there where the car is, you'd be going down a highway offramp. It would take 2 minutes tops to go past that intersection to get to a place where you could turn around (the DMV, hilariously enough). There was nothing about this that made sense!

Sure there is. It would take 2 minutes.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

Make posts out of landscaping timbers and sink them in concrete so they stick up 3 feet or so. Then connect them with rope to make it look nice. A neighbor did this to stop assholes from parking on his lawn and it worked well.

The only problem is he said he doesn't own the verge, so that might actually be illegal.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Galler posted:

This was basically my commute on Friday. People saw snow and slowed way the gently caress down which I suppose is better than the alternative of going balls out regardless of weather but in this case it was completely unnecessary. The snow was very dry and powdery and the roads were completely clear and cold before it started snowing. The plows were out in force but just movement of air caused by the traffic was enough to blow the snow off the roads and what did stay on the road didn't affect traction at all. Ended up with a bunch of convoys in the completely clear and dry right lane doing 20+ under the limit and I passed all of them going the limit+5 in the snowy left lane because, again, it just looked like it was covered in snow but in reality just had a dusting of powder that amounted to nothing.

I just got to experience this on 495. I generally don't do much highway driving in the snow because I don't commute via the highway and most of my longer drives are optional. It's not that I avoid longer drives when it's snowing, I just don't see the point most of the time.

It was snowing lightly, and the right lane was doing 40-50 mph, the middle lane about 60-65, and the left lane 75-80. I was in the left lane, and never felt the slightest bit of slip. To be fair I'm on brand new winter tires, but it really wasn't slippery at all. Really it was just a dusting and for the most part the highway was just wet. Once I got off the highway I was stuck behind people doing 10-15 under the limit the rest of the way home.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

If I could find a way to mount the compressor to support a proper train horn on my car I would totally do it. Unfortunately the only place I could put it is in the trunk. I've even researched what it would take to run a proper train horn on a car with the ability to blow it more than once every 30 minutes:

http://www.oasismfg.com/dc-air-compressors.html

Those things are beastly and can supply the gawping amounts of air a train horn requires (so long as you had a large enough tank to store it in).

This should give you an idea of how much air we're talking about :

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Incidentally kastein, when you get the 5 ton fixed up the way you want it, we will all be sorely disappointed if you do not mount a train horn on it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The extent of the "chaos" on my drive home today consisted of a minivan cutting me off and almost forcing me to plow into them, and watching a Dodge Ram turn off the road too fast and hit a decorative fence.

I'm disappointed.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Surprised he didn't key your car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So basically he was ready to risk an assault charge because you didn't let him illegally pass 8 people using a left turn only lane? I have to say, I've seen some dicks on the road but that guy's up there.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Probably one of those bumper protectors... which makes it all the more stupid because who the hell is going to park behind him?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

You called?

Right after I posted that I thought "drat, I should have said something about how it's not like Kastein lives in NYC".

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

8ender posted:

Someone I knew had a Tercel wagon out in B.C. with a log instead of the stock bumper. Peak west coast :canada: right there

There's a crappy old ford (the model of which I'm uncertain) driving around my town with its front bumper replaced by a 2x6 with "Pizza Time" painted on it.

It is not a pizza delivery car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Bajaha posted:

I saw the opposite of this yesterday, mid 2000's Volvo wagon, projectors were aimed so low the cutoff was about 6-8ft infront of the car, that thing must be terrifying to drive on the highway.

The S60R and V70R both have this problem, the default height of the headlights is too low. The computer auto-levels them anytime it is reset (battery disconnected or similar) but its idea of level is so that you only illuminate a short distance in front of the car. Not 6-8 feet, that guy's got an issue, but still not nearly far enough. The result is that you have to manually adjust them up anytime the battery is disconnected or you can't see poo poo at night. You have to remember to put them back down again before you have any reason for the computer to be reset though or you won't be able to bring them back up to where they need to be without lowering them and resetting it again. It sucks.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cross walk buttons need to trigger immediately (as in start the yellow cycle immediately) and then 2 seconds after they go red, change to a flashing red on the side of the road that triggered them, then 4 seconds after that, flashing red on the other side. In other words, a stop sign; you only have to remain stopped if there's someone in the crosswalk at that point. Of course, no one would actually obey that because people are stupid, but it would be a far better system than the way they currently work, which is as described above.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't really get some of this. A lot of people use their cell phones as audio sources (music/podcasts) and for gps. Banning use of a cell phone in the car would eliminate a big part of why I have one to begin with, and I only ever use it on speakerphone while it is mounted on my dashboard. Just because some people can't use their phone responsibly while driving doesn't mean the rest of us should be deprived of the privilege.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

And that suspension articulation :swoon:

Just gotta watch out for potholes gopher holes.

Sure the articulation is great, but as you implied the suspension in general is not very durable. Plus if you do break anything you've pretty much totaled it, those suspension components might as well be non-replaceable with the way they're welded directly to the unibody.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I tend to prefer the leftmost lane if only because I would only have to dodge idiots merging from one side. With obvious exceptions to idiots swerving into oncoming traffic, which thankfully has never happened to me.

Exactly this, except I also drive in the left lane because the middle lane is usually too slow.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Bro trucker reacted exactly as expected.

My car has the turning radius of a moon (Because Volvo) so usually when someone's waiting for me to pull out they don't leave me enough room. A few times this has lead to me glaring at them until they back up. I'm not going to make a 25 point turn just because they felt like they had to stop 10 feet from my parking space.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

:confused: my 240 has an 8.3m turning circle, which is better than both the E30's I've had AND the Miata.

When this happens to me in the Miata, I like to see how close I can get to them while backing up before they honk.

S60R: transverse I5 and 235 wide tires = 42.6 ft turning circle.

The best part? I had to fit spacers or I couldn't even turn that tight due to wheel rub.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Last weekend I went for a drive on some twisty mountain roads with a fairly steady 50 mph speed limit. I wanted to do around 59 the whole way, as that way I'd have fun in the corners (30-40 mph advisory speed) but not have to worry too much about cops. The guys in front of me wanted to do 70 on the straights, and 30 in the corners. I passed a few people who were doing this, and a couple of them raged out on me and stuck to my bumper until the next set of curves, where they got scared and fell behind. I just don't understand this behavior.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

triple clutcher posted:

not as much as when they slow down for one of the "SPEED LIMIT XX // YOUR SPEED XX" displays. The other day I was on a two-lane 35mph road ( traffic usually goes 40 or so ) caught in a line of people who either slammed on their brakes so the sign would read "27" or slammed on their brakes because the person ahead of them didn't want to get pulled over by an LCD display.

We have one of these near me which flashes yellow if you go over 40 and red if you go 50 plus.

The speed limit sign directly underneath it on the same pole says 50.

People consistently slow down to 40 at this sign and continue doing 40 even after the speed limit changes to 55 half a mile later.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 17, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

sbyers77 posted:

While I view the temporary trailers as complaint management, anything that is permanently installed I take to mean they are serious about slowing down because there is a hazard/blind corner/school zone ahead.

Interesting point about that:

The location I mentioned with the sign set to flash below the speed limit, there have been 4 bad accidents there in the past year (that I know of). I have personally seen the aftermath of 3 of them, one of which was a rollover. People come over the hill from the 55 mph zone (northbound) and are only a couple hundred feet from an exit from a large mini-mall on their left. So people turning left out of the mini-mall who are less than diligent about checking to their right before turning combined with people who aren't paying attention when they come over the hill doing 60 = bad accidents.

You might be inclined to say that in this instance the flashing speed limit sign would make sense, but it's on the southbound side of the road, heading past the minimall and up the hill into the 55 mph zone. There is no flashing sign for the northbound side of the road. :iiam:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

dpidz0r posted:

Yep, I'll do exactly the same thing and think it's hilarious (I also fully expect people to do it to me, which is why I never follow people to parking spots). I'm the person you share a parking lot with :(

I see nothing wrong with this. There's no excuse for stalking people in your car unless there are no spaces available. If that's the case, then yeah, that's a bit dickish, but generally it's just someone hoping to get a closer spot so they don't have to walk.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

One of my favorite scenarios that happens all the time:

I'm behind someone cruising along at the speed limit in the left lane (65) where most people do 80+. The middle and right lane have traffic going around the same speed. There's no room to pass, and he sits there for a couple minutes not getting a clue. Finally some space opens up in the middle lane and I change over to pass him. 2 seconds later, as I've sped up and am about to overtake on the right (I don't tailgate) the idiot who was in front of me cuts me off without signaling.

This usually has one of two outcomes.

Option one: They don't notice me, and I have to brake to avoid running into them, then wait for room in the left lane as the 6 other people who were held up by this guy go by.

Option two: They notice me, and violently swerve back into the left lane, then sit there. I slow down to let them merge over in front of me, they sit there. I speed up to go by them, and at that point they usually start signaling that they want to merge to the right. Yeah, well done sir.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

At first I thought that was actively flying through the air when the photo was taken.

Close enough I guess.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

russian_drivers.txt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnQNpJrnHOg

Didn't we have a conversation recently about someone threatening Russia's supremacy for bad driving? This seems like it should fix that nicely.

Which I could understand the guy trying to defend his decisions.

Turn on closed captioning. Not everything is captioned and not all of it makes sense, but there's enough.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

exempt posted:

You are the problem with America. So by your logic, if someone is verbally annoying them should throwing rocks be the solution? I understand that someone tailgating you is a dangerous activity, both for you and the other vehicle, but intentionally running off the road so as to throw rocks at their car/windshield is you making a decision to involve yourself in a malicious activity.

Yeah, I have no problem with this, tailgating is dangerous. I don't trust my own reflexes that much, like hell I'm going to trust someone else's. That said, I generally just get out of the way if I get tailgated. Let them bother the next guy.

I recently narrowly avoided rear ending a guy on the highway, because I WASN'T tailgating. I was following a bit close (4-5 car lengths at ~65 mph) when suddenly a whole bunch of feathers flew over my car. In the second it took me to focus on the feathers, think "what the gently caress" and focus back on the car in front of me, he SLAMMED on his brakes. I did so as well, as traffic was too heavy to change lanes, but I swore I was going to hit him. I would have too, if my brakes hadn't been better than his. Turns out someone a few cars up had hit a duck and slammed on their brakes. I saw several ducklings running along the side of the highway before everyone decided that sitting still in the left lane was a bad idea.

If I had been tailgating I would have hit the guy. Fortunately the fellow behind me was significantly further back.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 30, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Some loving retard in a Ranger in the left lane of i90 this morning got pulled over.

And by that I mean a cop was hiding in the median and pulled out behind them with the lights going. What did they do? The logical thing, they slammed on the loving brakes IN THE LEFT LANE and came to a complete halt in 80mph free flowing traffic.

The number of truck horns I heard and the amount of brake smoke I smelled was commensurate with the stupidity of this act... last I saw in my rearview mirror was the idiot being verbally abused by a very, very irate state police officer.

I hope he cut their loving license up and called them a cab to the nearest adult daycare.

Saw basically this happen on i95 a couple weeks ago.

I'm cruising in the left lane and I see a cop getting on the highway, so I move over to the middle lane and slow down a bit. Just as I expected he blasts past me in the left lane doing ~90 a few seconds later. I pop in behind him and ride along pretty good for a bit, until he comes up on one of those little Japanese box trucks doing about 70. The cop sits behind him for about 15 seconds, then hits the lights.

The truck, which clearly hadn't seen the cop until this point, brakes HARD and starts drifting into the left median, kicking up gravel all over the cop car. The cop car stabs his brakes to avoid hitting the van, pops on his siren and starts angrily waving the truck over to the right. The truck of course doesn't notice this, slows down so much the cop has no choice but to pass him on the right, who then paces him in front, still waving him back over to the right. I meanwhile moved back over to the middle lane to avoid this whole scene.

The funny part is, the cop was just moving a couple miles up the highway to do traffic duty at some construction. I'm sure he probably cited that truck driver for everything he could think of.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I was just witness to a low speed pursuit on I93 in New Hampshire. I was heading southbound around exit 3, and came up to a large slowdown in traffic. About 20 cars in front of me a cop was going along with his lights on in the right lane, following maybe 50 feet behind a 90s Cadillac at around 40-45 mph. A couple cars started to pass the cop but then slowed down and dropped back behind him.

This continued for several miles until we got to exit 1, where 3 more cops got on the highway and boxed in the Cadillac, forcing them to stop. At this point they weren't letting anyone by, so I sat there for about 10 minutes, during which time I spoke to someone in the car next to me, who said they saw the whole thing start, it was definitely a pursuit, and they had tried to pass the cop but he'd yelled at them over the bullhorn to stay behind him.

Eventually the cops opened up one lane and let us pass, and I saw them talking to a young woman in cuffs, but that's about it. There was also a black late model CTS stopped with the older Cadillac (which I couldn't see well through all the cop cars) but I couldn't make out why it was there, it could have been an undercover unit, but it didn't have lights going.

Low speed pursuits are a pain in the rear end.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

nm posted:

Depends on where you are, but they might not actually be jaywalkers anyhow. Like a huge amount of CA roads contain "unmarked crosswalks."
That said, when I'm jaywalking (actually jaywalking), it annoys me when people slow down or stop (unless you're about to hit me, but thats me being a dumbass), I time the traffic and you slowing down may gently caress up the next part.

This.

I have no problem with people who can time the traffic and walk when it won't force someone to stop for them. I do this all the time myself, as frankly I'd rather someone jaywalk at the appropriate time than make me wait for a walk light. What I have a problem with is the idiots who just step out into the road, often without looking, assuming you'll stop for them. I will, because I don't really feel like murdering someone, but jesus, pay attention to what you're loving doing people.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cakefool posted:

I fully support this, 2 kids and a pushchair and shopping is a nightmare in my car, my wife's car is much wider so I'm sure people would appreciate not having door dings by us using the parent and child spaces, no need to put them anywhere special as long as your car park has pedestrian walkways.

I realize this probably wasn't your intent, but this comes off as if you're saying "Well, if I don't get special parking spaces I guess I'll just have to ding people's doors! I can't be held responsible."

Probably not the best attitude in a forum where murdering someone because they scratched your paint would most likely be considered justified.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Clearly they're used to riding motorcycles.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I just observed someone stop at a red light, then casually roll on through to take a left turn. We have right on red, not left on red, bonehead.

I gave him a little honk to show it hadn't gone unnoticed and he violently swerved. He knows what he did.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

thelightguy posted:

Depends, is it a junction between two one-way streets? In that case, left on red is legal.

True, but this was a 4 way intersection. To be fair, it's a really dumb intersection where the lights sometimes get stuck red for one direction for more than 3 minutes at a time when there's no cross traffic at all. That was not the case here, the guy was stopped for no more than 3 seconds.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wallaka posted:

Wal-mart axed greeters years ago. Suck it, old poors.

You sure about that? I've been to Walmart a couple times this week for moving related supplies, and each time there's been an employee just standing in the middle of the entry area. They don't say hello to everyone who enters, but I can't figure out what else they were up to.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The only question is, was she listening to Jesus Take the Wheel at the time?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

tuna posted:

I try to stick to overtaking/going faster in the left lanes (my Jeep is certainly not the fastest on the road so I got no problem sticking to middle lane areas), but I have no problem overtaking on an inside lane (CA) if it happens.

The thing that pisses me off is when it comes to single lane highway sections through mountains. There are occasional 2-lane overtake zones so a normal vehicle can overtake trucks/haulers etc. instead of going 30-55 the entire way. These sections are usually straight sections for safe overtaking. The problem is these idiots in their topheavy minibuses or hauling lovely trailers suddenly realize they can go 75mph in a straight line! Great so now I run out of room overtaking several cars going fast in a straight line and have to sit behind them for another 10 miles doing 35mph around every single corner.

I was out for a drive on a local mountain road a while back and never before have I seen this demonstrated so well. The speed limit on this road is 50 most of the time, but it has yellow 30 mph warning limit signs for sharp curves constantly. I would have done 58 the whole way, having fun in the corners and while avoiding being pulled over (those warning limits are only a recommendation). Unfortunately everyone else on the road wanted to do 65-70 on the straights and 25 in the corners. On the plus side this particular road has slow vehicle lanes on most of the uphill sections, allowing me to get around some of these idiots.

The funniest part is on my way back I was following an emty flatbed semi, and he was taking the 30 mph corners at 50.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hikaki posted:

There has to be some kind of psychological explanation for this. It's easy to see that you're not getting anywhere quicker, but people choose to ignore that because it feels faster somehow.

Whenever I'm in heavy stop-and-go traffic, I try go the average speed so that I don't have to stop every 3 seconds, but you would not believe how mad that makes some people. I get people who tailgate me and then pass and cut me off just so they can slam on the brakes 100 feet ahead of me.

Being stuck in traffic makes people angry, angry people don't act rationally.

Honestly I'd like to be able to drive like that in traffic, but then you get where you're going even slower because everyone cuts in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

My S60R uses what would be the high beams in the European version for DRLs. Instead of having proper high beams the regular beams actually rotate upwards for high beams. Yes, it's every bit as stupid as it sounds (because Volvo).