Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Because people don't like to be passed. They see it as a challenge to their sense of self-importance. How dare you arrive at your destination sooner just because you are a dirty scofflaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Why would you live in a place where the sky wants to destroy your car?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

We had the first major rain of the season yesterday (it wasn't even that heavy) and I saw three accidents in a 2 hour drive (one involving 5 cars). We just got done with driving in snow and somehow people have forgotten how to handle rain?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

Good to know my adrenal system is still working.

But big gently caress you to the shithead that decided to enter the road when I'm doing 50 and am under 50 meters from the intersection. I dropped anchor hard and still couldn't stop fast enough so I ended up straddling the line to the next lane over. By the time I matched speed my front bumper was at their side mirror.

Doofus never even acknowledged my presence, they lucky I didn't push their spare tire through their rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, I had an idiot pull something similar on me on the highway the other day. I was doing 80 in the left of four lanes having just passed a bunch of folks and was about to move back over to one of the middle lanes when I saw two cars getting on the highway ahead of me at slow speed. The guy in front was probably doing 50, the guy behind moved to the right middle lane to pass him, but the guy in front also moved to that lane, so he moved to the left middle lane, and the guy in front did the same. By this point I was about 50 feet behind the guy in the back, and I knew he was going to move into my lane, so I laid on my horn and stepped on the brake. Sure enough, he starts sliding into my lane doing maybe 55 while I'm still probably at 75. I drop anchor completely and come within about a foot of hitting his back left corner. I continue to hold the horn down for about 10 seconds just to make sure he gets the point, at which point he's past the slow guy and moves back over. Of course he doesn't look at me or acknowledge my existence as I pass him. Their transition from the on-ramp to my lane took maybe 5 seconds.

Also holy poo poo that loving parking thread.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

He's not talking about a merge though, he's talking about people jumping the queue at an exit. Honestly I would have been annoyed at you too. It's people like you that give assholes like that the idea that they can get away with that poo poo.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I saw a pretty hosed up implementation of this on a recent trip to Colorado and Utah. Salt Lake City and Denver both have HOV lanes, requiring 2+ in SLS and 3+ in Denver, however you can also just pay a toll to use the lane if you're under the HOV requirements.

So basically the lane is there to theoretically encourage carpooling for the sake of efficiency and environmentalism. Unless you've got money, in which case: gently caress you, got my own lane!

These lanes were moving substantially faster than the flow of traffic at rush hour.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 23, 2019

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Honestly I'm kind of surprised you stop for people who put on their reverse lights. Around here people get in their car, turn it on, shift into reverse, then answer their texts/write their dissertation. Reverse lights are no clear indicator of intent anymore and nobody treats them as such. If anything people will speed up to actively block you from backing out before they get by.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You're right, on foot you have your own life and limb to worry about and I always at least pause when I see someone's reverse lights come on. I was mostly talking about when driving.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

I despise all the "STOP FOR PEDESTRIANS IN CROSSWALK" signs that towns around me have put up because the when people see a pedestrian anywhere near a street corner they drop anchor. That's not what the sign says. :argh:

I've even had a guy yell at me for rolling through a crosswalk because a pedestrian was approaching the intersection.

I was pulled over and given a talking to by a cop for not yielding to pedestrians who were gathered in a group 10 feet from the crosswalk chatting, showing no intention of trying to cross, after 4 other people in front of me went through the crosswalk. I tactfully mentioned this and he just got angrier, but he didn't give me a ticket or written warning, just wasted 10 minutes of my time.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

If I ever saw someone hit my bumper parking I would be severely pissed off and throw a shitfit about it. But I also deliberately avoid parallel parking and I never box people in like that, nor do I live anywhere near a city.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

If you make them long enough, you can basically guarantee enough room to maneuver your car out of the spot.

rear end in a top hat stole my bumper spikes so he could park too close and hit my bumper. Film at 11.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

These are the people you share a road with: Retractable bumper spikes claim the space for my car

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I think this conversation about whether it is acceptable to hit another person's car while parking should be moved to the detailing topic.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

Oh, i know they exist.

from my browser history

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det....51803006zN1XLE

I wanna mount that on the back of an old ford big job

They did a good job, I can't quite make out the duct tape where they stuck the two trailers together.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Holy poo poo. He actually made it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Good avatar/post combo.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It's absolutely a deliberate thing, along with slow people merging into the left lane in front of you at the last second instead of waiting for you to pass when there is no one behind you.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I mean it's deliberate in the sense that I'll be coming up on a line of cars in the middle lane and the last car, which had been content to sit at the back of the pack the entire time I had been approaching, suddenly realizes that if they want to pass they better do it now, or be stuck for literally seconds while I pass them. They'll then proceed to pass the clot of cars at their speed +1mph until they reach the lead car's blind spot. They will linger there until the lead car approaches more traffic, at which point they will pass just in time to prevent the lead car from merging in front of them thus demonstrating a lizard level instinctive need to be first.

Finally after 5 minutes of this a gap will open up large enough to pass them on the right. After 2-3 cars do this they will be shamed into resuming the middle lane until the next opportunity to assert their dominance presents itself.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 12, 2019

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

dee eight posted:

I'm gonna guess: helmet, tank top, shorts, sneakers.

Where we're going we won't need skin.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Caption: "Commitment"

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Article posted:

at least people who hit it are validated. They know they're not alone.

Yeah sorry but just because there are a lot of bad drivers out there doesn't make it any better that you're one of them.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

One of those radar speed signs was installed about a year ago on a road I take to work every day. The speed limit on this road was 30 mph but it's a major through road and everyone always went 40 on it. They actually raised the speed limit to 35 (one of the only times I've ever seen this happen) and everyone continues to do 40 on it, occasionally 45.

Then they added the radar speed sign, but instead of setting it up to flash when you exceed the limit (35) it's set to start flashing if you exceed 25 mph. Most people ignore this and continue doing 40-45, but some idiots see it flash and immediately slow down to 20-25 mph and continue at that speed for the next couple miles despite the 35mph limit signs.

I hate other drivers.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

yamdankee posted:

One of those people that get right in front of you immediately after overtaking and gradually slow down making you have to pass them, repeat process.

:discourse:

On the one hand, gently caress people who do that. On the other, what exactly did he do to get pulled over? Unfortunately such behavior isn't illegal as far as I know.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Vanagoon posted:

A lot of dollar store brooms have handles that are made of the thinnest cheap bullshit tubing imaginable. I can't imagine trying to clear snow with them.

This.

You need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/SnoBrum-Push-Broom-Extendable-Telescoping-Scratching/dp/B0007LDXLA

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

I'd love to see a correlation between bumper/window stickers and crazy.

The formula is:

5+ bumper stickers = crazy
3+ bumper stickers on any one subject = extra crazy

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

this seems easily preventable. At the same time, you get to not be that guy.

You don't seem to get it. These are important business people with important business to get to. They don't have time for cleaning snow off their cars.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Entropist posted:

Every time this creeping thing comes up I'm surprised and wonder why I've never seen it. I think I realized why: in the US the lights are positioned after the intersection but here they are set up before it. If you creep forward beyond the line you're not going to see the lights any more. So if you do it, you won't know when to go and that discourages it pretty well.

That's nothing consistent. Also as a tall person in a low car I frequently have to lean forward to see the lights if I'm at the stop line.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Of course all the comments are Musk apologists.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I’ve driven across the country 6 times. Just finished doing it on Monday. The time before that was over 20 years ago.

AI's secret cannonballer.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

I mean, of course.... OF COURSE you shouldn't run someone over for throwing rocks at cars. On the other hand... bet they won't be throwing any more rocks any time soon! Everyone in the video is awful and they probably deserve whatever bad things come their way.

I'll be honest, I was kind of rooting for car guy.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

How? How do you buy an electric car without knowing it's electric? Why do you buy a Tesla if you don't know it's electric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

taqueso posted:

Any info on why the dude was on the hood?

Florida.