Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This thread needs less bitching about lovely drivers and more of 14 inch's stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The_Raven posted:

I would love to start a public service campaign reminding people to turn off their "douche light", or rear fog light.

I'm a pretty laid-back guy when it comes to people pulling stupid poo poo on the road, but being behind people running these things just makes me stabby as gently caress. Goddamnit, just looking at this picture in preview is pissing me off.

Yeah I see it all the drat time, drives me crazy. I figure its mainly because rear fogs are relatively rare in the US, so most of the time people who have them don't even know they have them or that they are on. Not an excuse, but most likely what is happening.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Geoj posted:

FWIW most cars sold in the US don't have real foglights anyways, they have auxiliary driving lights. A proper foglight is supposed to light the immediate area in front of the car with a low wedge of light intended to only illuminate the lane marker lines. Most "foglights" on cars in the US are just baby headlights mounted low on the car.

Yeah the ones on my car are basically decoration.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'd kill for a dash cam setup where the camera can be permanently installed without drawing attention. Think a tiny bullet cam, wired to some kind of control box out the way. It should also start and stop recording automatically when power as applied, and recycle storage as needed. Currently I just use my GoPro, but keeping it charged, mounting it every time I drive, and constantly wiping the memory keeps me from using it every time I drive.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

BlackVue is what you're after then, i believe it does all of those things. It's what i'm going to buy for my car, one for the front and one for the rear.

http://www.blackvue.co.uk/

Still kind of big. I'm thinking something like this, but not awful: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FULL-HD-1080P-Portable-Surveillance-DVR-2-5-Inch-LCD-Button-Camera-Free-shipping/567103889.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Geoj posted:

Is blinker fluid really expensive where you guys live or something...?

You joke but I actually find myself "rationing" blinker usage when not needed because I have to pull my front bumper to change the bulbs and it's a massive pain in the rear end.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Galler posted:

If I'm going to be on my motorcycle for more than like 15 minutes I'll put in ear plugs (and really should for every ride) since I like my hearing in its current functional state. The earplugs mostly just block out the wind noise and actually make it easier to hear everything else. Also, like BraveUlysses mentioned, I'm probably going to get killed anyway so I might as well die comfortable*.

When I'm driving though I can barely tolerate a hat the covers my ears let alone headphones or ear buds. Just feels weird and isolating.

e: *I'm strongly considering LS swapping a miata or something when I can afford it to get as close as possible to a motorcycle but with like a 90% reduction in death likelihood.

Yep I always wear plugs when riding. I didn't for the first few years and hosed my hearing pretty badly. All it does it block the wind noise, you can still very much hear what is going on around you. Its like driving with the windows up vs down in a car.

Of course there's no music blasting through the plugs though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

Do new Ford Fusions not have a gas cap or something that requires a higher level of IQ to add fuel? I was at a very busy gas station, so I pulled in behind someone who had just parked at a pump. They got out of their car, opened the fuel door, and then just stared at it for a while. They opened their car door to say something to the passenger (I couldn't hear a word of their conversation) and the passenger got out of the car and went to stare at the fuel door. They poked and prodded it with their hands and the fuel filler for a while longer, the passenger got back in and the driver went into the station. A couple minutes later the driver came out, put the hose in and might have added fuel for about 10 seconds or so before giving up and driving off. I really want to know how that guy if ever got fuel. . . and how the hell did he ever pass a driving test???

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/05/ford-easy-fill-isnt-always-easy/

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

American muscle breakin tables use timg ffs

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Powershift posted:

timg sucks. it's either tiny or fuckhuge.

timg gives me a thumbnail that expands to the width of the window when clicked :confused:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dee eight posted:

I use headlights off-on-off-on to tell somebody to turn their lights on. High beam flash is the signal for 'dim yours, butthead' or 'hazard ahead'

I no exaggeration daily lay on the horn while passing people on the highway with all their lights off while I do off-on-off-on, to no result. MAYBE 5% of the time it works.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Goddamn, saw a nice one in Tampa today. Clapped out white GMC box truck with Sharpie-d signs reading, "Cubano Empenadas-$2.00", tread on one wheel delaminating, bouncing up and down at ten miles per hour, with a solid "clunk" evey five feet. As I thought to myself, "Don't buy anything off that truck", I noticed the driveshaft smacking the pavement and then the frame, again and again. Guess that explained the sound!

You missed out those things were guaranteed to be amazing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's a Solara with....something grafted onto the rear. I want to say those are 4 Runner tails maybe?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

slidebite posted:

Explorer sport trac is the first thing I thought of, which is even weirder.

Ahh yep. drat it. Knew I recognized them!

Weirdest part for me is that it looks like it was even done competently.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

I know when I was in Philly once there were "Don't block the box" signs all throughout the city. Not sure of the efficacy of that effort though.

Yeah I was gonna say we have those all over in Philly.

It's Philly though, you do the math as to whether or not people pay attention to them lol.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Curious how they did the endo.

Probably pinched off the rear brakes or something

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FBS posted:

stolen from reddit

that's a toll sensor sticker

I'd think it was fake but I've seen several cars out with phones mounted in that same spot. People be dumb.

e: found a pic of one:

opengl fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah was a crack in my windshield.