Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Das Volk posted:

There are hundreds here: http://carinteriors.tumblr.com/

what are all those buttons for :byodood:
Green shell, red shell, banana, lightning bolt, mushroom...
You know, standard stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Consider yourself lucky she didn't get mad at you and decide to finish the job.

(From the terrible car stuff topic)
That van looks neato.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I was going about 70mph and someone in a generic midsize passed me. They had a donut spare on the right front tire.

75mph on a donut :gonk:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Protocol7 posted:

I don't know what it is about these people that makes them drive so shittily, but, hey, Colorado drivers I guess.
Halloween night I saw someone slide through a left-turn with a green arrow, he fishtailed like crazy and almost t-boned a car that was sitting at the red waiting to go.

The guy fishtailing was a cop, he was in the middle of a string of cops all going somewhere but SOMEBODY had to go all sideways and gently caress it up. I really need a dashcam but I already plug in way too much poo poo as is.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

0rganDonor posted:

This too, a good 40% of things that we are required to do, we aren't actually paid to do
Right. For those that don't know, truckers are paid by the mile, and that only counts the miles between A and B as measured by how the company wants to measure it, so that doesn't count time spent before and after and during (fueling) the trip.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Yeah, Denver drivers are some impatient shits. I've been in the leftmost lane going 20+ over the speed limit and this STILL isn't fast enough for some stupid idiot.
Why on earth do people want to drive fast in Denver, the highways are roller coasters. I've been lifted out of my chair several times on I-76 and I'm not even going fast.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Geoj posted:

Or you end up with a cop who doesn't want to stick his neck out and calls it a no-fault accident, which in insurance terms is the same as being at fault.
I was rear-ended at a red light and the cop called it a no-fault accident because my broken brake lights no longer worked (BECAUSE THEY WERE BROKEN) and the suv that hit me had no damage because of the brush guard. Luckily their insurance did pay for most of the repair but not a rental so I could work because I was delivering pizzas at the time.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Geoj posted:

^
Have you checked your insurance policy for rate hikes lately?
It was in 2004 on a car that I've sold since then so I doubt it. I was just relating a story of where there was an accident of someone totally at fault (the lady who rear-ended me at a red light) ended up having it be a no-fault. I think it was because the lady's husband showed up and after shouting at me for getting his wife in a wreck probably verbally worked over the trooper. I was the lame no-power delivery guy who just stayed quiet and thought "She rear-ended me. She is at fault" and got hosed.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ijustam posted:

they did on my buses :\
Freight can't sue the driver and the company for injury, passengers can.

Or 0rgandoner's reply, which has science behind it.

In 'share the road' news, Connecticut just enacted a law that makes leaving snow all over the car into a ticketable offense.
http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Ice-missile-law-launches-Wednesday-5103217.php

So this may mean far fewer tank commanders out there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dead Cow posted:

This is the same cousin that yelled at me the first time I tried to drive it was with two feet. He was all "Where the gently caress did you learn to do that!" angry angry face. I said, I saw my dad do it! So we go over to my dad and my cousin tells my dad I was trying to drive with two feet (I learned it from watching you, DAD) and my dad starts laughing his rear end off. He explains the only reason he drove that way was only in that one particular car, because if you didn't keep gassing it then it would stall out. :3: the things he would do to keep from having to fix his cars.
I've done the 'keep goosing the throttle so it doesn't stall' with a big rig, because the oil pressure would fall dramatically when braking. I was heel-toeing it the whole 1000 miles home so I could get it to a real shop and not the company shop that gave me the blasted thing.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

0rganDonor posted:

Dear self important Nashville traffic; please, when seeing the turn signal on an 18 wheeler indicating a lane change to the left lane do not try and pass on the left after half the trailer occupies the lane. Also put your phone down so by time you realize what you're doing you don't have to jerk the wheel hard to the median to avoid me (seriously, I was merging slow enough you could have just applied the brakes). Further, don't try to get me to follow you down an off ramp to discuss it with you. However, you are free to follow me to my next stop, 350 miles away.
I'm cool with finding the person who designed the Nashville interstate system and sending them on a rocket straight into the sun.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tha Chodesweller posted:

And in my experience people tend to get extremely confused and drive shittier when liberal use of the horn is applied.
I'm glad that my use of the air horn actually prevented an accident.

I-40 going through Nashville :argh: and a Fit has an opening to go right three lanes from the far left 'A' to the far right 'D' (to stay on I-24). He goes halfway into the far right lane then weaves back into lane 'C'. Then as some midsize starts to pass him on the right he puts on his blinker and starts to move over into 'D'. I had my hand hovering over the horn (my Volvo doesn't have a cord pull for the air horn) and when he started moving, I honked, they kept their lanes, and I was on my way. I was ready to stick around for a police report if they actually hit each other, because I had plenty of time cushion for my trip.

I swear sitting way up high just lets me see more of the idiocy, but in my case it's all highway nonsense and none of the middle of town making a left turn from the rightmost lane fun.

I should make an effort post about how horrible interstate system in Nashville. But that would be :effort: and the wizards who designed that system already spent way too much effort to make it the least efficient system possible.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Motronic posted:

The model T was Ford's first car, and it had acetylene lights until nearly 1920. The Model A didn't come around until nearly the 30s.

It used Prest-o-lite tanks, but common welding tank sizes B (40 cu ft) and MC (10 cu ft) designation relate to "Bus" and "Motorcycle" and are still used today as designators for acetylene tank sizing.

Thank you for subscribing to tankfacts.
Stupid tankfacts, ruining my joke about Henry Ford saying "Daytime running lights? It's called the sun."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crotch Fruit posted:

That is technically a single car garage, this guy deserves a medal for getting those cars in there.

On a completely unrelated note, when this neighbor first moved in around the start of the school year, I used to only see him and his room-mates driving a Lexus and wearing tradition Islamic clothing, America has corrupted him. :patriot:
Traditional Islamic clothing at least covers up that mechanic crack. Please tell me the Taurus looking thing on the left is a SHO. An SHO daily driver and a 5.0 Mustang (I also hope it's a 5.0) is :patriot: as gently caress.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Terrible Robot posted:

One could argue that it already does effect the performance of the trailer if you account for all the additional weight it adds. I know it's probably pretty trivial overall but I bet fuel savings and what-not over time would really add up.

In terms of making it easier to clear the trailers off, how feasible would it be to do an industrial scale defroster grid on the roof/underside of the trailer. Leave it running all night when you're parked and no need to worry about being a rolling whiteout the next day, switch to underside heating to keep the ice off while on the road. Or would the amount of amperage needed to power something like that use up enough extra fuel that it out-weigh the potential fuel savings to begin with?
Fuel mileage is shot all to hell during snowy conditions anyways, either the truck is plowing through fresh snow or is slipping on ice, both of which are less efficient then good old dry pavement.

As for your plan, that looks line an electrical nightmare that will break during the summer months, and no one will know it's broken until the first heavy snow. It's bad enough to get the top marker lights changed in a jiffy, I can't imagine troubleshooting the 400 feet of heater cable to find the break that happened when a March hailstorm hosed it up. Also, 'leave it running all night' doesn't work for trailers sitting at a terminal or drop yard that aren't hooked up to anything. I've hooked up to a trailer with a good 6 inches of Minneapolis's finest fluff and made a rolling whiteout to Des Moines.

Oh, and intermodal shipping containers. Like gently caress are they gonna install some heating system on the tops and bottoms of those when they spend 90% of their life on a ship or a train. But that 10% of time from railhead to logistics distributor they are gonna be sharing the love.

xzzy posted:

Truckers never shut down anyways, don't they? Whenever I'm doing a cross country trip and slip into a truck stop to get some sleep, there's 25+ trucks parked there idling. Same deal at rest stops.
You're basically right, idling all night is easy and costs only a gallon an hour or thereabouts. There are products that can lower the idling amount by either doing the same as the engine, called an APU where a very small engine does the same as the 14L engine to keep the A/C and TV and fridge running. Or there are banks of batteries that charge while the truck is running down the road and give power while parked. Those suck. They give 8 hours of power when truckers are required to park for 10. There are also heaters (Espar heaters are the brand name) that keep the cab warm at the cost of .1 gallons per hour, but they do not keep the block warm which is important when temps get really low. "Well trucks have block warmers that you power with an extension cord" and that is true, but most truck stops do not have 'shore power' that is popular in the RV world. Only a few truck stops and like zero rest areas have shore power available. There is a push to expand this and get owner operators to use a bunch of stuff from the RV world to cut down their fuel consumption (Owner Ops have more incentive to get higher MPG than company drivers that give no fucks) but the major carriers are using methods that just work all the time and don't have to make the driver actually have to do anything, because we will gently caress it up.

And we will gently caress it up hard. The first week I was driving with CRST, my first week driving big rig ever, my trainer and I were taking a load from Iowa to Seattle, by way of Wyoming. I was still in training, so I drove my 8 hours, my trainer / dad drove another 5, and we parked in Laramie WY at the Petro in the dirt lot across the street. It went down to 13 degrees that night. Now, CRST had this system on the truck where the truck would turn on and off to prevent constant idling. When the cab temp got down to, say, 60, the engine would turn on and run at just above idle for 5-10 minutes, until the cab temp got up to 70, then it would turn off. This is how it is supposed to work. In reality, once the system was set up (and for the life of me I cannot remember the name) we had to use a bungee cord to keep the gear stick in hard left neutral, otherwise it would move around and not start up properly when the temp got too low. WE DID NOT KNOW THIS. That meant during the night, the system started the truck fine two times. On the second time the shaking of the truck knocked the gear stick out of the very particular position. It did not start a third time. Eventually my dad got too cold and tried to start the truck, the frozen block was too much for the starter to handle, and the bucking of the truck snapped the power cable from the batteries to the starter.

First week on the job.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 17, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crotch Fruit posted:

Both vehicles are 3rd gen Mustangs, the left being an 87-93 model, and the right is an 85-86 model (based on the headlights and Wikipedia).
Well he's learning about the beauty of grits, I have to tip my hat to him.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Temp a Start?
Can you actually sleep with cab shaking from all the startups and shutdowns?
Looking it up, it was Optimum Idle for Freightliner. Sleep is difficult, I'll put it that way. The way to game the system was to put the target bunk temp as high or as low as possible, and to use a strap to keep the gear stick in place when it shakes during startup. I ws in the top bunk and it scared me a few times, to the point where I jumped out and grabbed at the already properly set parking brake.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

some texas redneck posted:

e: I rarely see u-turn lanes under bridges in other states, I guess maybe it's a Texas thing? :clint:
Yeah, the u-turn under bridges / on their own bridge over the highway is very much a Texas thing. There's other things of beauty like where I-30/I-35W/US-287 meet in Fort Worth, so many bridges reaching to the sky, so easy to get lost.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

xzzy posted:

Drive 2 mph slower than everyone else and this never becomes an issue. :science:
Yes, this is how I stay sane in heavy traffic, I just let the traffic flow around as I bop along and keep my eyes ahead.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

0rganDonor posted:

The Tennessee state police cruise around in this thing to catch people texting and generally loving off while driving;

No one expects a semi to be a marked unit.
And it's a great vantage point to look down and see people looking down at their phones.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FogHelmut posted:

Most of these anti-cellphone driving laws have exemptions for cops literally written as part of the law. Apparently they have some kind of advanced hyper driving abilities.
And when they go 90 through a red light and plow through a car that was making a left on green in the intersection before the PO crested the hill, it's the fault of the dead granny and her dead grandkids, not the cop chasing a car that was never confirmed to exist.

Or when the Chief of Police plows through a red because he's busy on his laptop, and the insurance will not pay out because he was on official business, which he technically always is when driving. Cause he's a cop.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

0rganDonor posted:

If people let me in and don't want to play the which lane is faster game, I become their traffic buddy as I maintain a constant speed through traffic unless forced to stop. If people don't want to let me in I start swinging the trailer at my intended lane until I spook someone into letting me in.
Putting on a blinker in a big truck gets a 30-70 response of "flash lights to let you in" to "SPEED UP gently caress YOU TRUCK" Never fails. Attempting to pass gets the same results. Moving to the left to let traffic onto the highway means getting left out to dry as people pass on the right, but staying in the right lane means people passing only to brake check the big truck. gently caress you Paducah.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
To everyone trying to merge onto the highway: I am not obligated to make room for you. I may move over if there is room, but I can see what's on my left and you can't.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

What, your pedals stop working?
The go fast pedal doesn't work very well with 70 feet of truck.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nm posted:

I will say, the only place, I turn into an aggressive tailgating rear end in a top hat is on 2-lane roads with no passing zones after you have passed a marked turn-out. The only way to get stupid tourists out of the way is to scare them as far as I can tell. Going to my parents house (on hwy 1), they can cost be a good 30-45 minutes or more.
US-54 across Kansas is mostly 2 lane in the country, with passing lanes every so often. Last time through, at one of the passing lane sections there was a trooper with a customer, so everyone had to stay left to keep a lane between them and the trooper (state law) and I just giggled at the horrible situation.

PS: gently caress US 54 except of 4th of July, when everyone buys shitloads of bottle rockets and I get a show as I drive.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MrLonghair posted:

When cars with only a driver chickenrace 18 wheels of unstoppable or put chip away driving into solid rock wall it's suicide (research not shared with public in Sweden for a source), though these days it's more and more about cases of distracted driving.

e: A bad crash recently with car splatting into truck carrying horses, came from the driver bending over to pick something up from the floor, with his entire family in the car. Drifted into oncoming traffic at high speeds. The people we no longer share the road with.
Don't forget "blind drunk" as a reason for driving the wrong way down the highway. For all the times that I've been driving during what would be prime drunk driving time (New Years Eve, summer holiday weekends, Friday and Saturday night in general) thankfully I've never seen anyone blatantly weaving or going down the wrong side of the road. I did honk a few times at a taxi cab that was probably falling asleep at the wheel, I hope he wasn't drunk at 3PM.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Midniter posted:

That's pretty ballsy, man. Were you not expecting him to pull your rear end over, or what?
I've seen a state trooper going the speed limit on I-85 out of Atlanta, causing 6 lanes to go 65 for the first time in forever. A Jeep Wrangler passed the trooper and the trooper pulled him over right away.

Passing a cop is just asking for a ticket.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

TEXTING AND DRIVING
Maybe it's TEXTING AND INTUBATING which could be worse for the intubee. Intubed. Customer. That works.

Or they are sitting on their thumbs hoping they have an easy shift. From EMS threads here I've learned that the job is 50% sitting, 45% non-emergency patient transfer, 5% HOLY poo poo and the 5% takes the cake.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Uthor posted:

Is there any part of I-80 that doesn't blow? I've driven from Chicago all the way through Illinois and Iowa up to Omaha. The only part that isn't horrible is when you get to make a pit stop at Iowa 80.
West of Cheyenne it gets pretty in a 'beautiful desolation' kind of way.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

InterceptorV8 posted:

I have done all of these before in a semi.
How did you drive with someone in the 'trunk'? Did you call the whole trailer the 'trunk' as you dodged La Migra?

I have done the 18 wheel drift before, cross winds in freezing fog are a motherfucker.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pham Nuwen posted:

Turn signatures on and re-read his post.
I always have sigs on because sometimes I lurk in FYAD and BYOB and they embrace the artistic form.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's just a Nissan Lucino, it's not that bad of a car.
Every time it accelerates, the corner of that fridge/freezer is getting shoved right into the junk of that dude wearing flipflops.

Who is standing on a car in traffic.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 27, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SpannerX posted:

I haven't read through 190 pages (too many threads to keep track of), but man, Canada's Worst Driver makes me want to take public transport everywhere. God there are some bad drivers on that show.
I love how the contestants (??? is that the right word?) destroy anything and everything they get their hands on.

Jonny 290 posted:

I think a lot of times you just remind them to look at their speedo and they aren't going as fast as they think they want to. More stupidity than malice.
When driving a big truck, I know it's malice. They will not stand the insult of being passed by a big rig.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 11, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
New post to attach image

PT6A posted:

I think I posted this in the thread a few months ago, but I had the same car pass me no less than 4 times in 90 minutes while I was on cruise control the entire time. I still have no idea what the gently caress was wrong with them.

The worst thing about these people is they'll usually speed up on downhill straight sections, so they can be im-loving-possible to pass safely.

I had the weirdest thing happen to me once in Nevada. I was heading east on I-80, and the truck is governed to 68 while the speed limit is 75. A blue Prius kept passing me, and then I finally caught up to him and found out what he was doing. He was stopping at every exit and taking a picture of the exit sign, and then hopping back on the highway, getting up to 80 and passing me (in a loving Prius) and then stopping at the next exit 6 miles down the road for another picture. loving bizarre.

Attached is a lovely picture of the fucker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Safety Dance posted:

The sidewalk in the middle of a roundabout is really just a stylish apron that's strong enough for tractor trailers to drive over if they need to.
Sometimes the middle of a roundabout is a courthouse.

This is downtown Boise City, OK. The building in the middle is the county courthouse, the line represents the former path of US Highway 287. Blue is northbound, green is southbound. US 287 is a major route that connects the Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex with Denver and all points North and West of Denver. Going through there with a 53 foot trailer was all kinds of fun. Now there is a bypass built in the last 3 years to avoid downtown, but the large truck stop with made-to-order burritos is on the main drag because it was built way before the bypass, so trucks (myself included) still stop there because it's the last decent civilization for 150 miles in any direction.

I will say that the Boise City roundabout was spacious, it just had the horrible combination of stop signs for entering traffic, a shitton of truck traffic, and pedestrian traffic having the right of way to get to THE COURTHOUSE IN THE MIDDLE.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ratbert90 posted:

Am I a bad person from secretly getting pleasure out of every bro truck I see spun off or on its side after a huge snow fall/deep freeze? Because I do, and those jack holes tend to drive like morons because they have 4 wheel skid.
The only time I've seen it happen was going across I-70 in eastern Colorado when there was a snowstorm with 35mph crosswinds. The pickup heading west right into the storm spun out into the median, kicking up a lot of snow right into my windshield. He recovered and got back on the highway (funny thing about sideways snow, one side of the median is bone dry and if you can get there you're fine) but in his defense it was a sideways snow.

I feel bad about that night. I made it from Laramie WY to Kansas fighting a storm and vowing to outrun it at 35mph and I did. I got to Kansas where it was dry and safe but still very windy. While in a fuel bay, using a crowbar to knock ice and snow off of the trailers, a man asked me if it was safe to head west. He was driving a pickup towing a camper van with a small but very flat profile. I keep kicking myself for not saying "Get a hotel, the wind will flip that poo poo over."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

nm posted:

Is there a blue curb or something?
Because it should be behind the sign, but how far? Does the person drive an excursion or a smart?
With vehicles for handicapped people I would err on the side of an excursion or conversion van, that way a wheelchair can fit inside / ride behind on its own rack. A person with limited mobility is going to have a hard time getting in and out of a Smart and a motorized wheelchair has no chance.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

StormDrain posted:

I was driving 60 mph in a 50 zone through Glenwood Canyon on i70 today, some maniac comes up on my rear end in the right lane and passes at the last second cutting off someone in the passing lane. Three miles later he was pulled over. It was amazing.
During the summer half of that highway was under construction. I wouldn't do 60 just because everyone was doing 40 through the construction zone to be nice to the workers.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Geoj posted:

Is that a different violation in PA? Here (OH) "failure to obey traffic control device" means you ran a red light or stop sign and is very much a moving violation with points assigned, and is the same fine as a speeding ticket for 15 MPH or less over the limit.
I got a "failure to obey traffic control device" because as a truck driver I did not merge into the left lane as the sign said. The Columbus City cop who cited me was blocking me from merging into the left lane. He gave me a ticket where I would have to appear at court less than a week from the issuance of citation when I am a cross-country over the road truck driver that did not want to crush a cop into the median barrier.

gently caress Ohio.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Geirskogul posted:

It's about the filament. A burning bulb will pop the filament when broken, where a bulb that's off doesn't.
Serious science question because I have no idea:

What happens in a crash when the car has LEDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

xzzy posted:

Though I am curious what happens if one actually were to put a car in reverse at any kind of speed.

There was a bad 80's action movie that did this once and the drivetrain basically blew itself to bits in a hail of sparks, but I always figured most of the fanfare was hollywood special effects.

I assume the reality is the transmission spews chunks and not much else.
In my '98 Breeze I hydroplaned, spun 180, and then gained traction going 40mph backwards. Everything instantly shut off. Then I took out a yield sign while going airborne for a second.

Granted, that's "going backwards in a forward gear" not "going forwards in reverse gear"