Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

nsdaP posted:

There's a time and a place, and it's the track.

Or it's someplace called Germany, where in the right place and time somehow it's no longer OMG THINK OF THE CHILDREN INSANITY and just another day on the highway. The British press have perfected the art of masturbating to turning the slightest, victimless infraction into a catastrophe only equalled by the Bay of Pigs or the Eastern Front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

JBark posted:

From my local newspaper, this is why I'm forced to record my daily cycle commute.

Just out of curiosity; did they close a lane of traffic to make that?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I just don't park in spaces where it's skewed or too tight or whatever, I'd rather avoid damage / confrontation etc.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Ror posted:

I dunno, street parking in a busy downtown area is a zero-sum game and it only takes a few loops around the block to say "gently caress it" and find the closest thing to a space that your car will fit into. In NYC I'm more surprised at the fact that people have such nice cars at all when they know the kind of road conditions they're going to face. When you drive a beater in Manhattan you get to do poo poo like that all the time and feel like a winner.

London is the same way, only in Westminster etc you see a lot more nice cars that are just beat to poo poo. It's really kind of depressing.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Geirskogul posted:

Every. Single. Goddamned time I drive :siren:my fiancee's:siren: Explorer, I stupidly hold the brake pedal down like a clutch pedal when starting it.

At least you don't try to clutch in while driving automatic rental cars making the car jerk around like I do sometimes :downs:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

It's probably completely irrelevant unless it's really loving cold out and/or your starter or battery is marginal.

An old crusty mechanic told me to do it years ago and it just became a habit.

I had a similar experience except with a master tech at a Mitsubishi speed shop showing me how to baby the fragile synchros in my Evo transmission. He was the one who taught me that if you want to go faster, don't try to make it up with shifting, because you'll only break things. Instead, add power, within reason.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Living in the UK as an American is a pretty off-putting experience, when you realize just how many cameras there are and how they use them. There's a horribly designed intersection near my old flat, and they started using the CCTV cameras to issue citations to people who get caught in it. The flow of traffic there is atrocious and it's difficult to know if you'll make it all the way through, and the cunts that run the borough gleefully sit there issuing citations all day from the camera on the pole nearby. Safety and security indeed.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ratbert90 posted:

I yelled at a guy who threw their half consumed cigarette on the ground in front of their kid. He proclaimed "It's none of my business."

Cognitive dissonance is an amazing thing to witness.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The M3's US market mirrors are terrible. They're required to do a standard mirror on the left and a convex on the right, and the German versions have this nice curving blind spot glass. I recently saw a car with those stick-on convex mirrors and thought it looked like a cheap way to accomplish it, but on closer inspection they looked nasty and were likely too small to be of much help.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MrChips posted:

It's outrageously expensive.

E: Holy poo poo I just looked it up - $426 on ECSTuning for the glass, one side only...that's even more outrageous than I thought!

Yeah ECS does overcharge quite a bit. The real deal part is about half that, the trouble is getting your hands on it, but I speak enough German that I'm going to try my luck with big dealerships like Frankfurt or parts at Welt in Munich. Someone has to be willing to throw it in a box and DHL it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

SyHopeful posted:

Californians interpret signaling as saying "I'm about to inhabit the space in front of you that is yours and yours alone and must be defended aggressively" and subsequently speed up to block you out. Driving is like poker down there in a number of ways.

Do you do the "blink while merging" thing just to maintain the appearance of propriety?