Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Being what appears to be a Fiat / Abarth of some sort... different ways to make the car catch fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm hoping run out because then this fits with my comedic fantasy that Europe is so far down the road of nanny state that you can't even fill up a car on the side of the road from a gas can without all of the posted warnings around that would normally only be present within a gas station.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Yeah I see it all the drat time, drives me crazy. I figure its mainly because rear fogs are relatively rare in the US, so most of the time people who have them don't even know they have them or that they are on. Not an excuse, but most likely what is happening.

Guaranteed. They bump the switch or hit it trying to figure out what it does, and never think about looking at the back of their car, so they just drive around blissfully blinding everyone.

I've yet to meet someone in real life who actually knows what a rear fog light is... not that it's a conversation I have often :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For what it's worth, they've apparently arrested the guy on the bike who did the first brake check.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I seriously think I'm going to pick up a Go-Pro.

I'm beginning to think that a cheap dashcam might just not be a bad idea for everything I own these days.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

How does it look mounted? That suction cup rig seems to be enormous.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind some pictures of that either.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

That looks like an integral of F=ma but I don't really remember physics. I was good at calculus though (maybe I even own at it ;) ).

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret:

You too can own calculus!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Parking lot fails, you say?

Judging by the oil stains, this dry cleaner's drive through is blocked pretty regularly. :cripes:

I'd wager then it might be the owner or an employee and they just don't use the drive-through?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yech. You're reminding me of the time (a few years ago now) when I was cruising on I10 east between the tunnel and the ministack just before rush hour - you know, that special time when the freeway is jam packed but still flowing at 70-80MPH.

In one of the dead-center lanes was one '80s Toyota truck flat-towing another, doing maybe 35-40. That was one hell of an oh-poo poo for a lot of people right then.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alright, we've covered every mirror angle of the tailgating debate, I'm sure you can find new things to talk about.

Like this. I drive the HOV lane of that freeway on a regular basis and that type of thing (people pulling into it from stopped traffic without looking) happens all the loving time, and it's scary enough driving a car. At least in a car, that accident would be more of an annoyance; riding a motorcycle you're looking at serious injury.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

You learn pretty quickly to not ride in formation with car traffic, to avoid loitering in blind spots as much as possible (far more than if you were in a car), to maintain non-zero relative velocity. This is part of why motorcyclists tend to zip through traffic, it's actually safer for them than it is to sit and wait for some unruddered momwagon to slide them off the road.

The problem is all of the above is effectively impossible when you're doing 60 in the HOV lane and the non-HOV lanes are crawling, and inevitably some jackass in the non-HOV decides to dive left without loving looking.

And if you say "slow down", well if there's open road in front of you, you'll have five cars crawling up your rear end in short order. I wouldn't even put it past some of the brotruck drivers here to seriously try to just run you over if they think you're blocking them from going faster.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Lately I've taken to following people who cut me off, almost hit me, tailgate excessively, etc. It's actually a lot of fun. I was surprised at how easy it is to do.

Serial killer in the making right here, folks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

The most surprising thing to me about this video is how many cars pull over to help, including the truck that caused the wreck to begin with. In the US that Uhaul would have completed its lane change and continued on its merry way as if nothing had happened, followed by a dozen or so other cars that saw the crash but can't be hosed to stop.

Yeah. The what-you-expected happened to a friend of a friend the other day. Came across a rather gnarly wreck that a lot of people had been driving straight past, despite the fact that not one person had stopped nor had anyone actually exited the involved vehicles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

The road test at most consists of driving a few hundred feet down the road, stopping at a stop sign, making a three point turn/k-turn, and :ghost: parallel parking :ghost:. In some places, you don't have to parallel park. People regularly fail this on repeated attempts.

This sounds like the test I took, though at the time whether you had to parallel park was determined by which MVD you went to. I believe this has since changed, but I went to the one that didn't require you to do it; I don't think I had actually ever parallel parked my car in a tight spot at that time because parallel parking itself is so rare in AZ.

I made the three-point turn a five-point turn, but the instructor let that one slide since I was doing the test in a Suburban. Other than that it was cruising around what must have been no more than 1/4 mile of actual city streets with nothing but right turns.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Here, they have a letter card much like what you'd read at an eye doctor's office, except it's inside a machine (kind of like a microscope) so that only you (and the DMV person) can see it. They supposedly change the letter cards around at random, so you can't really memorize them (or have a friend memorize them).

We have those here. One time my wife was at the MVD while some old crone was shoving her near-corpse husband's face ever harder into the machine in the hopes that maybe this time he'd get at least one letter right.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Forgot I had this.

Water main blew up the hill to the right flooding the street moving down. Do Not Enter signs were put up at the intersections immediately. People drove around them. Not only did they drive around them they chose to drive on the sidewalk to not drive through 4 inches of standing water. This was just one person out of many that did this for HOURS. I got flipped off and screamed at for taking this picture.

I hate people.

There's a reason our state had to enact the Stupid Motorist Law. People here see so little water that they don't understand what it can do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spotted today: Someone driving an early-'00s Chrysler minivan, full of passengers, with the left front tire so badly deflated that the rim was maybe an inch off of the pavement (stock wheels with decidedly not low-profile tires) and the whole van was visibly leaning towards that corner.

Oh, and it was going 65MPH in the middle of US60. :stonk:

My wife managed to get their attention enough to make them at least slow down and merge right - not sure if they did it because they understood "YOUR TIRE IS loving FLAT" or if they just wanted to get away from the person wildly gesticulating at them :v: According to her the tire itself was already starting to disintegrate by that point.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EightBit posted:

If a powered vehicle were there that you couldn't pass, you probably wouldn't go on the internet and rage at truckers. But it's a group of cyclists, so somehow it's different.

Have you been reading this thread? Half of it is bitching about people who drive in a way that you can't pass them.

Shut the gently caress up about bicycles / OMG YOU ALL HATE BICYCLES, there is no good that will come from further flogging of this horse.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Toymachine posted:

Cars should have a self-destructing mechanism if the indicator is left on in a moving vehicle for longer than 20 seconds.

The Crown Victoria I had for a day actually would chime obnoxiously if you kept the blinker on for more than a quarter mile or so. Ford knows their target audience.

In stupid poo poo today, I had to do a full on panic stop when some dumb motherfucker turned left from a parking lot right in front of me. I think I missed plowing into the left rear quarter panel by a couple feet, yet she had the nerve to flip me off as I was laying on the horn.

Brakes on the 2013 CRV work drat well, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

I was in one of our work vehicles a few years back, which has the full compliment of ARB armor on it- Bullbar, side rails, sill protectors. Sitting in a shopping centre waiting for the other guy in the crew to get back from subway and a woman pulled up beside us and just flung her door open into the side of the work truck.

Which smashed a beautiful 1.5" dia dent into the edge of her door at about lock level and stopped the door from latching.

I expected the next part to be where she somehow tried to blame you for the damage.

Re: hard parking, in some cases it has to do with the fact that any mouthbreathing moron can buy a Suburban or F 350 without having the slightest idea of how to maneuver or park it. The rest is good old American self entitlement / gently caress You Got Mine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I actually saw a justified use of double parking the other day. Pulled up to Walgreens and saw a double parked SUV. Noticed it had a handicapped placard, then saw that all four handicapped spaces were also occupied (legally, at that).

I think I live near too many old people.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

So there's absolutely no way any production LIDAR gun is Doppler based, it's entirely time/distance calculation.

Yep, this. My speeding ticket was laser and they even print out the distance they busted you at on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

It's not like the car ahead of you is going to go from 70 to 0 in an instant.

It is if they aren't looking up at the dead-stopped traffic in front of them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brigdh posted:

I was coming out of a store tonight and saw a cop turn on the lights behind a newer VW Beetle. For some reason the Beetle driver decided it would be a good idea to pull into the turn lane between the two directions of traffic, and stop there. I'm sure the cop was thrilled with that.

Edit: reread this and I see you mean the guy just stopped in the suicide lane after he was pulled over. Nothing to see here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had a first yesterday: some dipshit commuting the same way I was for most of my drive home, shining a high powered green laser (like you'd use for pointing out stars) at one of every three street signs or so. If someone is honestly stupid enough to do that, I have to expect them to be stupid enough to actually shine it at someone's eyes while doing 70mph in rush hour traffic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

goatse guy posted:

He's jerking off.

Yep, there are still in fact new horrors for this thread to discover. That's messed up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think what some people are missing is that there's a big difference in "residential" streets depending on where you're at (and even neighborhood-to-neighborhood). In metro Phoenix, older neighborhoods will have 25MPH limits and the narrowest streets will still support this safely. Some of the wider streets will still be posted 25 but realistically 30 isn't going to have you mowing people down.

On the other hand new(er) developments where they're cramming as many homes into as little area as possible, often are using streets that would've been considered too small for two lanes in the past. They'll be signed 15MPH and no sane person would feel comfortable exceeding that by any significant amount, especially if there's any cars parked on it.

Then you get the midwest - the parts of Indianapolis and Kansas City that I've been through have roads that act the part of arterials, even though you're surrounded by houses and even have some residential driveways on them. They're usually signed for faster than 25, though.

Geoj: That sounds like a massive failure of city / neighborhood planning. If it's that bad, time to lobby for some serious reconstruction. There was a road in my neighborhood growing up that was a typical small residential street, except that it went in a ruler-straight line for half a mile and only had a gentle S-curve in the last 1/4 mile... and went past a high school. So it was a common thing to have kids flying down that road at 45-50 to avoid the majority of the traffic on the main road that the school was also on. Enough lobbying to the city got them to cut the road in half with a giant landscaped section - pedestrians and bikes can get through on the sidewalks, but nothing bigger. Still useful to the people who actually live on it, but no longer viable as a shortcut.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dr.Smasher posted:

If it's like the rental Hyundai I had several years ago, it's because the gauge cluster lights don't work at all. God that car sucked.

Ford used the world's worst 194 bulbs in the late '90s / through at least the early '00s. My Ranger had one working cluster bulb when I bought it, and the stupid thing is it's maybe an hour of easy work to swap them all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You made your point on this ages ago. Shut the gently caress up already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Am I in the wrong for feeling a little annoyed

Yes, because you should be a lot angrier. A friend of mine drat near got killed due to the same type of thing - truck broke down (out of gas, but he didn't know it yet - gauge wasn't working right) off the side of an off-ramp, when two morons refused to let each other by come flying side-by-side up the ramp. One of them punts the back end of his truck hard enough to leave the rear axle underneath the cab.

Said friend was working under the hood at the time of impact. Got knocked unconscious and lost a tooth if I recall, but honestly it was a goddamn miracle he wasn't killed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Reading up a bit, two older Norwegian studies (Froyland, 1983; Fosser, 1986) show that (Norwegian) police vehicles had a 2,5 times higher risk of accident in ordinary day to day driving than other traffic.

This seems like something that could be the result of a poorly controlled study. Police, even when not in a pursuit, are on the road far more than the rest of us, and spend more time on the side of the road than most of us (insert joke about your favorite target automaker here).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dougdrums posted:

So I suppose it's legal to block a fire station, "occupied or not, except momentarily".

I guess I could go to a city council meeting or something because that seems ridiculous.

I also may have left out the important fact that this is Florida.

Not a lawyer, but I'd bet that "momentarily" means you stop just long enough for someone in the car to safely get out / get their things, or someone already at the car to put their things in / get in. Waiting for someone who is not yet actually present to arrive seems outside of that scope to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of overloaded... spotted on the way back from the zoo. Wobbling all over the drat place.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SL, SC were the coupes... and a later one from the look of the wheels could be an SL2?

But yeah, they're still around here, though in ever smaller numbers.

Ha, nice edit :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Every. Single. Goddamned time I drive :siren:my fiancee's:siren: Explorer, I stupidly hold the brake pedal down like a clutch pedal when starting it.

I do this with the parking brake on my CR-V half the time :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

subx posted:

What? Where is that law, can you provide actual proof of that? I've never heard of anything remotely like that.

It's hardly unique to AZ, though it seems to be worded specifically to downhill driving in many cases.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

Not so much a derail when the thread is apparently referencing the people posting. My point, which I've already stated before, is that it is safer to stay in drive.

Some of you sound like your trying to say two people drag racing in identical cars will finish at the same time if one is in drive and one is in neutral. It's mind boggling.

wallaka posted:

God, shut up about it already. It's a boring hypothetical argument.

Shut the gently caress up, both of you.

atomicthumbs posted:

clutch in > crank > clutch out while cranking > vroom

I'm pretty sure in most cases the starter will disengage as soon as the clutch switch registers that you're releasing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Cross walk buttons need to trigger immediately (as in start the yellow cycle immediately) and then 2 seconds after they go red, change to a flashing red on the side of the road that triggered them, then 4 seconds after that, flashing red on the other side. In other words, a stop sign; you only have to remain stopped if there's someone in the crosswalk at that point. Of course, no one would actually obey that because people are stupid, but it would be a far better system than the way they currently work, which is as described above.

These exist - they're called HAWK signals. They're loving awesome for both pedestrians and drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReNk2T5ay1c

I lived in Tucson when they first started putting them in a bit over 10 years ago, and now they're putting them in some areas of Phoenix. Amazingly enough everyone behaves properly! Seriously, I've never been almost mowed down by someone when walking in one, and only once can I recall a driver not starting to move once it went flashing instead of solid red (assuming their side was clear).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRmAi4_ip-A&t=145s

(you may want to mute it to block out the childish swearing. I was having a bad day)

Well there's your problem, you took 202W further than the 143. I avoid that bit of freeway like the plague (I think the only ones I drive less often are the 51 and I17, and I actually like 51) because even though it hasn't changed in years, everyone gets monumentally stupid on those exits approaching I10.

It's bizarre, because US60 has as many / more lane-ends between the 101 and I10, yet you never seem to get this poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Both people in the video are loving idiots, news at 11, don't make me hand out a stack of probations in here.

I've discovered that if I leave home too early in the morning, I get all of the crazies. The real fun part is you never know if it's someone who isn't going to see you or yield when you should... or if it's going to be a high school driver who thinks she's doing the right thing by stopping in her lane of traffic (when she has right of way) to let me merge in front of her. Took me longer to figure out why the gently caress she was stopping than it would have to merge behind her like I intended to do.

:sigh: My daughter's sweet 16 is gonna be at Bondurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Father of the year?

Galler posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. Wanna adopt me?

I've got 14+ years to save up for that!