Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Nodoze posted:

I have never seen anything like that :stare:

Neither have I. Now down here, that's something you would use roundabouts for if traffic was evenly flowing, (or traffic lights if not)

Edit: VVV I have no idea how 4 way stop signs work either (again, down here, it's roundabouts or traffic lights)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

YF19pilot posted:

You know how you get that line of people at a 4-way. Then when someone goes, the guy right behind him just decides to say 'gently caress it' and goes through the intersection, courtesy and traffic laws be damned? When you change that "STOP" to a "YIELD", suddenly it isn't just the 2nd guy, but basically everyone behind him goes as well until someone almost has an accident with somebody

That's what happens here when the traffic lights go out completely or are flashing, no one knows what to do. Someone just edges out and risks it, and then everyone follows, until someone from another direction has had enough waiting and then edges out and pushes in, and then everyone behind follows, until someone else from another direction has had enough and pushes out risking a crash, and then everyone behind them blows though, and so on and so on.
You don't want to be on Australian roads where the traffic lights are out and we are supposed to treat it like a 4 way stop...

At least for us, roundabouts are safer, even though they are often full of idiots as well.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 9, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

rscott posted:

I drive a low rear end E30 and it seems like every 3rd vehicle is a lifted bro truck here in Kansas. I HATE driving at night because of this. I have lovely night vision as it is and all the lights shining directly into my eyes or worse through my back window and into my rear view mirror drives me nuts. I'm sure the glare and poo poo from all the rock chips in my wind shield aren't doing me any favors in this regard but still, god drat.

I understand the rest, but rear vision mirrors normally have a one touch switch to adjust it so lights from behind don't bother you, and have had that feature for a long long time.
Like The_Raven said, bright rear fog lights from the car in front are a bigger issue.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

some texas redneck posted:

My dashcam showed up today.

The video quality is shockingly good - good enough to read license plates at night if you get close enough.

I wonder if I'll catch someone being super douchebaggy with it.

I ordered the same one and it arrived here too. I just need to get a flash card for it, (and have somewhere to drive). I'll probably go to MSY to get the flash card and try it out on the way back.

e:
For any Au goons even though it was free postage, it came by toll courier, so I go it in about 7 days too. Unlike the whole pile of junk I have bought from non ebay China sellers that I'm still waiting for a month later....

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 23, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
From what I've read before I bought it, only handles up to a 32GB card. 64GB is possible with hacks though and only a couple of people have done it.
Files are larger than some other recording devices too, thats another con, I remember 15000mbps mentioned, about 1hr uses 8GB. Someone mentioned 3-5min is the segment length it seemed to work best on.

e:
There's a thread on dashacmtalk about it
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/g1w-novatek-96650-wdr-f1-6-h-264-mov-15mbps-gps-dash-cam-dvr.1449/

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 23, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Suction cup is 50mm in diameter, so pretty small (compared to a GPS suction cup at least). From suction cup to the end on the mounting bracket is 70mm at max adjustment settings (which would be a silly postion to set it to).
The whole mounting suction cup thing fits in the palm of my hand and I can fit into a half clenched fist.
It's certainly not a large mounting device, but I haven't compared it to any other dash cam.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 23, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Having finally tried chicken feet, I see no reason to eat them unless you are in desperate need of food AND you're raising your own chickens so your choices are to eat them or throw them out.

We had chickens when I was growing up, I've seen what they step in with those feet, I'll pass. (hint: it's their own poo poo, constantly)

Good for stock, soups or things like that. But they need to be way way cheaper than that price seemed, otherwise I'm just using left over bones from whole bird roasts, or left over bones from just as cheap to buy wings.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
They had the same thing in Perth. Australia for a while. One bridge across the city river, two fixed lanes each way, centre lane changed direction depending on peak hour demand, also for a bus lane. But they have boom gates FFS, not a little light no idiots would pay attention too.

Distant memory though, because ages ago they built a second bridge and now it's 4-5 lanes both ways.
If we can build a 2nd bridge, some US city/state can make a four lane road rather than rely on retards to notice lights surely?
Even when we had the single bridge, there were more protections than cones or lights, and that was implemented in the 1960-70s!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 21, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dennyk posted:

A lot of those reversible lane roads are in fairly dense urban areas, where there isn't space to expand without buying a lot of land, and in many cases destroying buildings. As for the ones on bridges, well, bridges are enormously expensive to build.
Yeah, I'm aware of that, that's why I gave an example of a motherfucking bridge right next to a CBD. Money gets wasted everywhere, may as well use it to make roads safe.
Tried to find photos of how it was in the 1980s to show the gates, but failed. From memory it was I think at least 3 massive gates to blow through in order to stop wrong way traffic, not just a set of dinky overhead lights.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 21, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Could be. They have traffic video cameras here on most city main roads and intersections. Explains why they are only finding people on the phone stopped at lights - because the cameras can see them and people monitoring them can get a live feed.
I live there and I couldn't even tell you what a patrol car looks like any more, you don't see them on the road period. Traffic enforcement is just speed cameras everywhere, red light cameras where they feel it's needed, and a few cops of motorbikes that hang around school zones with radar guns, (I guess this is what they do when school zones are not in effect). Actually no, they use them on bridges and stuff with their radar guns where they can't park a camera for obvious reasons.

The rest of the police take care of burglary and other crimes, maybe some for traffic offences but they only come out at night looking for young guys that do the car hang out thing and the odd burnout or street race.
I used to drive all day as a tradey driving to peoples houses repairing stuff, across a city of 1 million people, and if I even saw 2 cops a week (parked or pulled someone over), then that was a suprise. I usually saw none as cameras are used for everything (video cameras used for just monitoring traffic which could be what they are using here to tell the MC cop), and still cameras to catch people speeding (some fixed, some mobile)

E:So explains why no one is being fined for using the loving thing while driving, there's no cops on the road to speak off, so that would be too hard. They can only catch people stopped at traffic lights anyway!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 26, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Waiting for a goon from Victoria to chime in
I'm glad I live in Western Australia. In Victoria you'll get a fine for going 3km/hr over, $185 and 1 demerit point
In WA they're not bothered with 5km/hr over, and if they were, it's $60 and no points on your licence. E: a penalty unit here went up from $50 to $60 in December I think.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dissss posted:

In NZ they've said any amount over will result in a ticket.

In practice it seems 5km/h over is still pretty safe, and I think you'd have a reasonable chance of challenging anything under that given none of this equipment is as accurate as it is made out to be

Ask Victorians though. As I said, usually safe here in WA too, but people get fines for 2-3km/hr over in Vic all the time. That's because they get a $185 fine an a demerit point for 0-9km/hr over. I suppose it's worth their while to bust them. But for $50-60 and no points in WA, then it's not worth their trouble. gently caress Victoria.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Seems really weird that private companies run speed cameras over there. Everything in the post above is true. The only private fines you could get in Australia are parking fines, and all the above comes into it. It's hard for them to prove you owe a debt, so there's nothing they can do really except sue for damages. Which is why they will tow or clamp to get you a pay up. Sending a fine gets them nowhere because they have no real proof a car owner committed an 'offence'.
Completely different to when a government council, shire, state or other sends you a fine, (where you have to generally prove innocence and they can hold a car owner responsible even if they weren't driving a car because of government powers)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 10, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The other driver is a psycho, a power tripping one that gets no love at home and probably has no real friends, (but they 'enjoys' relationships with people they can blackmail)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
'Undertaking' only occurs and is illegal here (Australia) when done in unmarked lanes. And of course doing that would be stupid.
On any road marked with parallel lanes going in the same direction, it's fine.

It's only illegal 'undertaking' when done on an unmarked road found in the suburbs or rural areas etc.
On main carriageways, highways, freeways etc, feel free to overtake that fucker blocking the fast lane on any other lane. The slow prick is the one committing an offence.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

kastein posted:

My allegedly good G1W loving completely bricked itself and won't even boot after a couple months, F----- would not buy again.

I got a G1W based on AI chat, but bought from an ebay listing, so a different seller and could have different internals. It's been good so far, and I've had it for ages, ever since mentioned here and on the dash cam talk website, so I've had it for about 18 months or more.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The hours, efficiency and all that bullshit aren't self imposed, they're employer/government imposed.
I usually give truck drivers a break, it's not their fault.
As long as they don't do blatantly stupid things I give them the benefit of the doubt and get out of their way. The same don't go for people commuting in an arms race style biggest passenger vehicle BS though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That's easy, rather than pull/push your stalk to flash high beams, just turn your low beams on and off, no laws against that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Who mentioned night?
If it was night time dazzling oncoming traffic with high beams to warn them of a hazard or speed camera wouldn't be doing them much good either?
I'm talking about warning them during daylight.
I said on and off, not off and on you pedant.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm sorry, do you need a hug

Yeah.
Or better drugs.
Or you not posting in AI any more.
Will accept any of those options.

Too tired for appropriate smilies.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
While everyone is in an arms race for the biggest SUV/truck, doesn't matter how many pedestrians die, stupid people are driving around on our roads. It seems some of them may have homicidal tendencies too.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

a primate posted:

Some people have bad days at work I guess? It's utterly baffling.
It's nearly always utterly baffling. I'm no angel and I know I have stuffed up three or four times, and vice versa people have done me wrong but we all get on with our day and no big deal.
But some out there do the wrong thing themselves and take offence and road rage upon others. It's incredible that often the wrong doer is the biggest road rager. I guess we have larger vehicles to thank for that, people feel safer to be the arsehole they are inside.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Are you saying it was OK if you just would have cut off a motorcycle?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 21, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The way that reads is that they assumed it was a motorcycle, saw one light, and they thought it was fine to cut them off. But it ended up being a car with a headlight out, so someone else's fault too.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I like the fact there's a go3 out there.
Like I know I'm a failed product but maybe there's a new improved version out there at least :smith:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

The Locator posted:

People are a mystery.
No mystery, succinctly put is this reply:

dennyk posted:

His mirrors seem to be working fine, looks like he used them perfectly to prevent you from doing grievous harm to his manhood by passing him. v:confused:v

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
No idea why they did that, the fact that people out there do that though is why I bought a dashcam.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Mooseykins posted:

It was an obviously intentional move, but no idea why.
"I want to be in front of you, but not go as fast as you're going right now", ie think they get to tell people what speed they should drive.
the message police and government constantly tell us is "Speed kills" don't you know? Absolute morons still want to be in front though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

xergm posted:

Ignorance truly is bliss. The number of drivers I saw this morning who couldn't be bothered to turn on their headlights was frightening.

Why yes, we do jump forward an hour. That also means that sunrise is also an hour later, so turn your drat lights on.

I don't know for sure if you are referenced DLS time or something, but that doesn't matter anyway as we don't have it and so many grey, silver or black cars out there now. 20% don't use headlights at dawn/dusk, and I'll even see 1-2 driving at 1AM with no lights on if I walk down the street to the local shop, (invariably silver, grey or black cars too).
I'm not saying all cars should be lime green or yellow, but what the gently caress, people should be interested in not being involved in a crash ya know? And total fucksticks driving at night with no lights at all have no excuse. They are too dumb to have a drivers licence. E: off course speed cameras do not catch them (that's all we have for traffic infringements these days), and there's no cops on the road here to catch them, people failing to give way, keep out of the right(fast) lane, not paying attention etc. All we have is speed cameras.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 9, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I watched that, but also I have watched the clips from Australia, and you have nothing on us. It's scary out there down here.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Crotch Fruit posted:

Why couldn't you move over?
:munch:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Do me a favour and never drive in UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ and Japan if you thought that was a RHD/keep left country. :v:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

ijustam posted:

People do get pulled over for coal rolling. This guy got pulled over by a mounted police officer, at that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0dDzPyrtE
10min in, where the guy is pulled over on a side street, is that awesome noise an BP or PP red R100, or the black rx7 looking maybe thing?
I can't identify any of the cars in the background, they sound and look like a mazda though. e: too low an idle for a PP I think, but fark that is loud, it's their lucky day the horse patrol was busy I guess.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 16, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
it wasn't a ram raid?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Maybe that has something to do with all the cars driving at night with lights off? They're normally new, smaller cars that teens would have bought for them in this area and they probably have their face in a phone anyway.
Where I'm living now is a very cheap house in the state's most affluent area, and I've never seen so many cars at night with lights off in my life!
It didn't happen before the rise of smart phones and social media, and doesn't happen so much in poorer areas where kids have to buy their own first piece of crap car I reckon.

Every time I go out on the road at night these days I'm only on the road for 5min at a time just to get to the local shop, and without fail I see a car with no lights on. Every single night. So I wonder how many per night drive without lights on in this area.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 26, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Never seen it happen so much until I moved into this area. I'm talking 1 car every 2 weeks or longer after driving hours many evenings and nights before, to 1 car a night in this area after being only on the road for 5 loving minutes.
It's many things though, newer cars with dash lights on all the time, streets well lit and other factors. It's just more common to happen in this area is all I'm saying.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Most of those crashes could have been avoided or at least they could have been less severe had those knuckleheads not overcorrected so much.
People that don't drive responsibly don't know how to actually drive. Shocking!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 26, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Now oil and gas is cheaper that's what everyone's going to do.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
No, they have never needed to suddenly brake so they don't know what the hell they are doing.
But to give the benefit of the doubt, they want the first car beind the slow car to overtake, then the second, then 3rd etc so they can actually overtake. They can't overtake if no one in front of them is overtaking.
E: But cars now are so poo poo at downshifting and accelerating due to DBW these days anyway, if someone plans to overtake they need a run up so there's no point in being close to the car behind, I miss my EL falcon :( All cable, all action when I planted my foot.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Fo3 posted:

Maybe that has something to do with all the cars driving at night with lights off? They're normally new, smaller cars that teens would have bought for them in this area and they probably have their face in a phone anyway.
Where I'm living now is a very cheap house in the state's most affluent area, and I've never seen so many cars at night with lights off in my life!
It didn't happen before the rise of smart phones and social media, and doesn't happen so much in poorer areas where kids have to buy their own first piece of crap car I reckon.

Every time I go out on the road at night these days I'm only on the road for 5min at a time just to get to the local shop, and without fail I see a car with no lights on. Every single night. So I wonder how many per night drive without lights on in this area.

I went for a short drive this evening. Only had to get to the end of my street to see a silver car driving down the highway across me without lights on. It was 8pm at night, I was in my car less than 30sec. gently caress this area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Deedle posted:

I read about that years ago. Never seen an indication of which side the filler cap is on. So part of me thinks that it's a North American market thing.

Australian ford falcons have the arrow, pretty sure I've seen it in mazdas too. E: commodores don't though, so it's not a universal thing. (Though falcons never went to North America but commodores did :shrug: )

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 8, 2015