Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Edward IV posted:

This is the Garden State Parkway after snowing for the better part of the day. Lane markers are completely covered and it was hard to judge where the sides of the road were. Note all the plows off to the left waiting. :argh:

Fortunately, my Impreza's AWD proved it's worth but I still didn't feel comfortable going faster than 45MPH. Though this is all just north of I-195. The weather turned into rain minutes later as I was heading south. Still, I kind of want more snow to drive in.

For all the poo poo people say about NJ drivers, everyone on the road drove reasonable for the weather. There were decent following distances, wide berths that turned the three-lane highway into a two-lane, no speeding beyond 45 MPH, and not suddenly cutting in and out of traffic.

I've always said that when I get tired of driving in the snow and the dark, I'm going to become a plow driver for the state.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

You know the worst part about that? It's often not their choosing to be sitting there.

Yeah, I found out here in Nevada how it's done. NHP patrols an area, calls in dispatch, dispatch rolls the plows. This is how it really works. NHP sees it is snowing, camps out at the local whorehouse/donutshop, waits for a pile-up or some shitass fuckfest, heads out after awhile, then gets the plows rolling after there is a plate of ice on the interstate. I've had to call 911 to tell them to get the plows rolling because there are cars all over the loving place off the interstate, I haven't seen a loving NHP or a plow in 76 miles, and I have 36 cars lined up behind me like I'm a loving mother duck with a herd of little ducks heading to the pond.

The kicker is I won't see a plow until I'm another two counties over and it's stopped snowing. :psyduck:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Kilersquirrel posted:

A page late but I'm firmly of the belief that once you're old enough to get social security payments(or the equivalent for non-US drivers) you should have to re-qualify your eyes and ears every 3 years, and a full road test at the 10-year mark.

I don't think there will be any laws passed until the Boomers are dead and gone. They're going to make up the largest group of one of the most powerful special interest groups/lobbies around: AARP, and telling them "No you can't do X because you're too old" is tantamount to chaining yourself to the ground in front of an out-of-control steamroller, politically.

The GenXers will be the absolute earliest chance the country gets to get a handle on dealing with people still living but entirely too infirm to operate a vehicle safely. Maybe we'll luck out and get cool trolleys back again in cities and towns, everybody loves streetcars.

nm: it ain't just SoCal, Central and South Florida is rife with junk trucks carring a 10-foot tall load with nothing but twine and the power of belief holding all their poo poo together on bumps and turns. When I was in Orlando I gave those SOBs a wide, wiiiide berth at all times.

The AARP is the most powerful union ever. And that includes the old Soviet Union. How else do you explain RV having 800+ HP engines, air brakes, 60K GVW and still doing 45 in a 75mph zone? And you don't get your eyes checked every couple of years at the DMV? I know I get my poo poo checked for my medical, but I also always get me vision checked at the DMV when I renew. Funny story about that, I am legal to drive a normal car without glasses, but I have to wear glasses to drive a CMV.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

This rolled in this morning. Apparently it was making a strange sound yesterday then this morning on the way to work it started handling funny so she drove to the dealership 20+ miles away. Good thing the TPMS sensor was there, she likely knew she had a low tire.

What does all these lights on my dash MEAN?!?!?! Did I just get a facebook update????

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

WORST PUN EVER.

For a second I thought I was reading a craigslist ad.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Every city I cycle in its illegal to ride the sidewalks.

with that said, i obey more traffic laws on a bicycle than with a motorcycle/car.

E: god drat you guys hate cyclists.

I get to see them get punted off the highway every once in awhile. Riding on a shoulderless highway with snowbirds ends up killing two birds with one stone. NHP writes the bicyclists tickets too.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

trouser chili posted:

I'm catching up with this thread, and a ways back we were talking about overloaded trucks. We get these guys everywhere in St. Louis.

Ratty old pickups with pallets stacked to the sky. I'm assuming these guys just drive around looking for pallets behind buildings to haul back to some pallet hording palletman that's building a spaceship made of pallets or something. The heights these guys are willing to stack their pallets to is astounding. The truck pictured isn't even all that high but it's the best picture I could find of a palletman.

Don't laugh too hard that guy is hauling about $600+ in pallets.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

New vehicles have sudden stop braking technologies so slipstreaming for hyper milers is getting even safer

Unless of course the truck rides the rumble strips. You might think you are saving money on fuel, but windshields aren't cheap.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I just want to give a shout out to the salt truck driver heading south on PA 402. I was heading north, he stopped the flow of salt as we passed each other. Pro.

Seriously?

Go buy a loving lotto ticket, I've never seen that poo poo happen.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Freight can't sue the driver and the company for injury, passengers can.

Thanks to that Rabbi in Indiana who killed his wife, they can't sue trucks for lopping heads off passengers who rear end truck trailers. I've seen 7 four wheelers vs big truck accidents over the last couple of years same thing, big flashy signs "slow trucks" steep grade, 75 mph zone, RAMMING SPEED! DING DING! DING DING! Last one I saw, a guy rammed a ore train (129,000 pound gold ore side dump double, lit up like a xmas tree with permayellow flashers on the rear end end) so loving hard, his ENGINE was stuck in the rear trailer and they where cutting it out.

http://www.sidedump.com/s3-three-axle-side-dump-trailer.php

Kinda like that one.

What was left of his Toyota....Chevy...GMC...Maybe a Ford? was in the center of the interstate wadding up like a ball with a huge hole where the engine was. Had brand new paperplates from the dealer on it too.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

I always try to wedge my vehicle with my passenger side against their driverside. Climb over your console you gently caress!

ding my door because youre pissed? no fucks given, rocks do it all the time.

bonus points if someone blocks their passenger side too.

While I have never had that happen, I can't figure out why people would squeeze me in when I was driving my F250 beater. I mean for gently caress's sake people, it looks like it's been through a war, there isn't a straight loving panel on the drat thing, including the roof, and you aren't going to park in your spot so I can get in? Does it look like I am going to really give a flying gently caress about what paint is left on the door when I have to wedge it open so I can fit into my truck?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

How about when it goes from single lane to passing lane and the fucker that was doing 50 is now doing 75 so you can't pass in the safe passing zone, and then they drop back down to 50 when it's two lane again. Another bitch is mountain roads. You don't know how many times I have gotten stuck behind a person doing 10 under the speed limit because they are scared because the road goes left and right, then as soon as it is a passing zone, they go 20 over. I've just given up on these morons that don't use the turnouts, and will outbrake them into the corner. Much shame is brought onto the Fatherland when a BMW gets outbraked by a non-turbo F250 4x4. And don't get me started on the clown in the WRX that finally pulled over because I got sick of waiting for him to learn how to drive their car and out-cornered them in my one ton dually.

I'd never seen a car push so bad in my life, I think the guy had to clean his shorts out. Slower traffic use turn-outs! I don't cut fuckers slack in midlife crisis mobiles. You bought a sportscar, you took it on a mountain road, now drive it so I can't catch you, or use the loving turn-outs. By the same token, I'll let you pass ASAP if you catch me. Which to date has only been a couple of Sunbeam Tigers and Vintage 911's out for a jolly cruise driving them like they stole them.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

nm posted:

You know who never uses turn outs? Motorcycles. Was stuck behind a harley and two BMW touring bikes from Boonville to Cloverdale on 128 the other day. loving maddening. And I can't safely pass 3 motorcycles in the very short passing zones they do have, esp with 100hp of fury in my Mazda 2.
That said, no one but locals use turn outs for the Mazda. When I had a rental Orange Dodge Charger RT (which quite frankly was slower in the turns), everyone moved.

Yeah, motorcycles riders have been doing dumb poo poo stuff as well as me, which is why I get a bit testy when I hear poo poo about "cagers" anymore. It doesn't matter what they ride, they'll pull out from a side street in front of me while I'm driving the big truck. It's like a two story tall semi is a loving stealth bomber. It might be because they are used to semi trucks going "slow" they think they all are "slow" and they can pull out in front of them at whim. That or riding the line. I know it's cool and all, but don't loving put your tires on the line when you are riding double, because that means you are in MY lane. Between that and leaning into a turn so hard that they are splitting the line, head in my lane, the motorcycle in their lane, it's no wonder they kill themselves in horrific fashion. Also note, snowpoles WILL take your head clean off, so don't loving cut in on them as well, unless you want to be the headless motorcycle rider.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I actually saw a justified use of double parking the other day. Pulled up to Walgreens and saw a double parked SUV. Noticed it had a handicapped placard, then saw that all four handicapped spaces were also occupied (legally, at that).

I think I live near too many old people.

Yeah. Go out to Quartzsite. Half the year the place is empty with an average age of like 40, the other half it goes to Population 50,000, average age, deceased. Hell, Sun City is like that as well. Old folks hot rodding their golf carts around. Always wanted to get a PA system and just scream at them.

Well, I want to do that to most people, but I know I can get away with it with the old people, they couldn't make out the numbers on my truck.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

That's a Brotruck?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Deedle posted:

It's hard enough for people, that bicyclists around here will tell you that they are legally protected against financial liability if you run them over. And then they just bike off into the night with a black coat on, no lights and often not even reflectors on the heap of scrap metal they call a bike.
But hey, at least when they're stuck in a wheelchair with a severed spinalcord, they won't have to pay for damages to your car.

The Black Ghosts strike again!

Almost mowed over a lady wearing all black walking a black dog at 10:30 at night just the other day. :q:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

I still get strange looks when I'm asked why I am slowing down by my own drat passengers. Well, in about 1000ft it drops 10mph. There is no viable reason to hammer down straight up to the next speed limit sign and reseat your brake pads while testing your seatbelts' automatic locking mechanism.

Heh, I keep my foot in it until I see a white sign that says otherwise. 6 wheel drifts are awesome, I dare you to say otherwise.

I did have some fun the other day, I was driving my pickup and some rear end in a top hat in a HYBRID TOASTER CAR was ignoring the turn signals of the big truck trying to get over because the lane ended (Reno/Sparks, the clusterfuck by the Nugget) Well the truck came over and this made the HYBRID TOASTER CAR driver completely outraged, so I boxed him in behind the big truck, and flipped him off while pumping my finger in my fist-anus. This took him by surprise and seemed to calm him the gently caress down a bit, and by calm him down, I think he had a stroke and passed out purple.

Guy was trying to tailfuck the dude's DOT bar for some reason.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

But, but, but my MPGs. :negative:

(You can also tell the older residents from where they slow down from where the sign USED to be, rather than where it is now.)

We need to put cameras up on the 80E/Nugget exchange, and the new clusterfuck from 395580N-80-80-80 lanes. Not a goddamn day that I happen to be near there that at least one person has to hop across three lanes because HOLY gently caress THERE IS AN EXIT!

I don't think daytrippers understand the code of the road. I'll give them a double-tap flash to merge ahead of me (like I'm gonna be pushing a penske out of my lane anytime soon) and in so many years, I think I've had a handful of courtesy flashes back.

My MPGs???

Here is something for you to sit back and think about.

My pickup gets worse MPG than my semi.

I pretty much will go around the Spaghetti Bowl if there is any event anywhere near town because I'm tired of playing "Dodge the Californian that figures out they need to get off here to go to Reno" game. You know the game, I'm going to spend three loving days in the left hand lane then cross traffic sideways 50 feet past the point of no return to make my offramp at 70mph. I'm going to end up doing the PIT Maneuver on someone by accident one of these days.

Also, gently caress people scared of blowing trash. Almost got into a major pile-up because a box blew out on the interstate and everybody in the fast lane was playing restrictor plate NASCAR and hammered on the binders at 80mph 3 feet apart. I said gently caress it and mowed over the box and whatever was in it to calm these fuckers down. Of course there was some kind of rattle cans of something in the box and they took off like missiles, but for gently caress's sake people don't be retarded.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Negromancer posted:

On residential/side streets? gently caress you if you speed in those areas. The neighborhood I live in does not have sidewalks on all the side streets, so when I am out walking my dog I am forced to walk in the street. Despite doing everything I can to be seen(wearing clothes with reflective stripes, flashing light on my leash, flashing light on my dogs harness, walking against traffic, etc), I have almost been hit by cars easily doing 30+ on the side streets. basically gently caress you if you feel the need to speed in residential areas, I hope you learn your lesson before you kill someone.

There are a couple of places that I go where the speed limit is 50mph.

And it's residents/farms right there. I've killed quite a pile of critters on that road because people are too lazy to fence in their chickens, ducks, geese, some fuzzy critters that almost look like beavers but aren't. Also had someone on a sidestreet run the stop sign and pull out in front of me on a scooter while not wearing a helmet. If there is something funnier than the looks on some idiot's face when they see what they've done, I haven't seen it.

Best part was after the fucker got done doing a lawn job, he got mad as gently caress at me. Some places will keep the speed limits up that high when people buy out a farm and try and turn in into a mini burb as some kind of only the strongest shall grow to breeding age or something.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

*drops mic and leaves the stage*

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

It's kinda funny, actually.

When I'm in my car, cyclists annoy me. But when I'm riding my bicycle, cyclists still annoy me.

Seems so far this year bicyclists have finally learned that riding on a no-shoulder 70mph highway isn't a good thing. I guess after enough of them getting RAN THE gently caress OVER and not only getting a nice long trip in a meatwagon, but a ticket ontop of it, they have finally loving learned.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

HorseLord posted:

You know, driving a motor vehicle is a privilege. The whole reason that things like driving licences exist is because you have to earn the ability to drive heavy machinery around other road users at high speeds. After all, the car showed up a long time after roads and their users did.

You should probably be thankful that bicyclists lobbied for things you enjoy as a motorist, such as road signs and asphalted roads, rather than getting angry at them because someone ran them over.

If you're concerned for their safety, and concerned for the inconvenience mixing different traffic speeds, consider getting involved in local politics and campaigning for a way of segregating traffic in a safe and convenient matter, such as a cycle path. Blaming them for what a stranger who was mistakenly trusted to drive heavy machinery around them did helps nothing.

Then again, this is america, where instead of stopping people being ran over by teaching drivers to look out in crowded areas, they instead banned crossing the street.

Is this poo poo for real, or are you having a giggle?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Why are cyclists so thin skinned that they can't accept criticism? must be all the shaving.

And don't even get me started on loving BLACK GHOSTS!

It's dark as gently caress, no light because light pollution is BAD, I'm going to go bicycle riding, or go for a walk, wear nothing but black, and if I'm on a bicycle, I'm not running a light and I have taken off all my reflectors. This happens more times than I care to think about, and last time it was real nasty a girl did it on the loving interstate in the loving travel lane at 1am. I don't think they found all the pieces of her.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

tuna posted:

Topical video of a douche in a truck throwing poo poo and rolling coal on a random cyclist: http://youtu.be/2HlZXCWha6Q?t=30s

I don't bike and even I would like to break both the Dodge occupant's femurs and leave them down a mine in rain season.

I also hate cyclists who have a shocking disregard of safety and road smarts. Difference is I wouldn't have to leave them down a mine.

He claims it was the third time they gave him some carbon free tax, but don't see the videos from that.

Wonder what started it all.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

tuna posted:

Here is all the internet has been told:

Nothing about the driver veering close across the divider to the cycling lane or "rolling coal" or anything. Charging the cyclist for swearing at the truck trying to make him crash? :lol:

Lucky he didn't get a ticket for riding and using his cellphone.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jamal posted:

Sometimes it's hard to pull out a phone and take video while riding a bike and trying not to get killed. Here's a fun one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

Then you best not do it and be unsafe!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://youtu.be/aq2XWYjc96E

This guy has killed more sagebrush than anyone else.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

There are narrower roads in the UK with 60 mph limits.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.308032,-120.763113,3a,75y,101.78h,62.73t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEDo8w6LcQozN4yd5LhIYTQ!2e0

This is fun when you are 75 feet long.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

watwat posted:

Please cut up your license and sell your car before you kill someone

Sorry buddy, but I heard him use his turn signal so that makes him better than 94% of the drivers out there right off the bat.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Here's something I witnessed this morning:

Yellow car is some normal sedan, red car is a mildly riced Civic hatchback. As soon as their protected left light comes on, the yellow car starts making a normal turn, and the loving idiot in the red car floors it, cuts inside the yellow car's path, through Concannon Blvd's left turn lane, and in front of the yellow car by the time the yellow car was in about the position of that silver car in the picture.

Weird poo poo. Wish I'd had a dashcam.

I've had people do that from the right only turn lane when I'm in my big truck, two left hand turn lanes, one right, person from the right hand cuts across my lane and the lane next to me to make a left, illegally.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Double whammy with two wheelers yesterday, motorcyclist went down hard as gently caress on the interstate, my guess is he clipped someone's left front fender with his back tire, like he almost did to me in my rig 15 miles before, but at least he was wearing full gear went he went down and was only bleeding out his mouth and nose. Then later, getting late on a two lane highway, in a 70mph zone, 25+ miles from the nearest man-made light source, I drat near ran into a black ghost pushing a bicycle in the travel lane.

Yeah, no lights, no reflectors, dark clothes, middle of nowhere, walking in the travel lane. I figured the man wanted to meet Jesus, the Aliens, or feed the critters, only reason I loving saw him was I noticed the fog line acting funny.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Watch out for motorcycles, fuckers. Can't tell over the kickin rad 90s techno, but the guy on the bike was laying on his horn as soon as the Cruze started to change lanes. Driver even sees him, waves, taps the brakes, and still continues his lane change. :fuckoff:

Also, the mirror mount for the G1W loving sucks for stability.

http://youtu.be/s9ePl3Il6D0

This video popped up as well. Guy on motorcycle complaining about the car crossing the double yellow, while crossing the double yellow himself.

If you are on a motorcycle, and your tires on on or near the paint, you're over the line!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I saw the strangest traffic sign yesterday, it was on a state Highway just before a turn with a 45mph speed limit and it said "NO ENGINE BRAKING"

How would you even enforce that?

M. Night Skymall posted:

They're talking about super loud engine brakes on semis, not when you let off the throttle.

xzzy posted:

Those signs are super common in rural areas, they're talking about the noisy as gently caress engine brakes that semi trucks use. Sounds like a monstrous fart can when they do it, is usually forbidden in towns because of the racket.

http://youtu.be/JF6ZeybmQ1U

There is the yawn-fest

http://youtu.be/Pokpfj6ZF90

Bring the noise.

Sadly new trucks can't rock the engine brake hard. And new new trucks seem to have a loving delay on the engine brake even kicking on. gently caress it, I'm getting a old 359 or 379 and a N14 and putting a straight pipe on it and going bullracking.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Just saw some loving idiot stopped IN THE LEFT TRAVEL LANE OF I90W because they had a flat. And then get out of the loving car and walk behind it to look at it.

Called em into the state police, idiots who endanger others that badly shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Almost as good as the idiots from Burning Man, two years ago, that parked on I-80 to take pictures of the Truckee River.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I really don't think much of that rage was directed at the driver. I feel sorry for that thing's husband though.

I take that back, I feel sorry for everyone around that crazy bitch.

http://www.rentalprotectionagency.com/case-23-3799-DIAMOND-HEAD-LEILANI-CONDOMINIUMS-THOR-WHITE-SITE-MANAGER-HONOLULU-Hawaii

InterceptorV8 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 16, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

A while back I was with my good friend and he was driving and I looked over at the dash and saw his brights indicator was on and asked him why the hell he had his brights on. Turns out he though that the brights indicator just meant his lights were on. He had been driving for about 5 years at that point, exclusively using his brights.

The real question is how hard did you hit him on the back of the head?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

I made sure he received a good week of verbal abuse from our circle of friends.

Humans need a cone of shame as well.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

What the gently caress are some Brits driving on the wrong side of the road in the states or what?

EVERYBODY LET'S CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW TODAY!

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

See, everyone says I'm paranoid when I say that these new pieces of technology will make people into shittier, more dangerous drivers, but no one believes me.

Let me tell you about the Bendix Wingman DELUXE system on my big truck.... Applies 75% of service brake and 100% of the engine brake if it detects a crash, car cutting you off, large amounts of dust in the air, K-rail, space aliens above the interstate, or ghosts. I no longer use cruise control after it engaged the engine brake with nobody around while keeping the engine going.

I'm getting a piece of plate to shove in there to cover the radar system in the winter, because nothing makes my dick harder than the thought of this loving piece of poo poo system engaging my brakes on ice or snow. I love being a beta-tester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Somewhere, a lawyer is trying to figure out how to start a class action lawsuit for people that got in a wreck.. because their car couldn't stop itself.

All the commercials about cars that can apply the brakes on their own really aren't helping.

I've already warned my family about BENDIX WINGMAN SYSTEM in my new truck and how it's already loving up, and if I crash and burn who to sue first.