Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I was gonna say, I don't see a marked bike lane on that street at all, but I'm not sure how it works in the UK. In the US, the cyclist is 100% at fault for passing standing traffic without a marked bike lane. 20 years ago I witnessed an accident in mooseykins' exact scenario (except the cyclist didn't stop and instantaneously exceeded the 206 bone limit in the human body), and I was called to court to witness. The cyclist lost because in the absence of a bike lane he should have been in the traffic queue like all the other vehicles. If there was a bike lane, the van driver would have been obligated to look out for the cyclist.

Do cyclists really have the right of way when passing traffic between cars and the curb in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Such a waste. Long-rear end onramps are the poo poo. I'm usually doing 90 at the bottom and have to check myself to merge.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Pixelated Dragon posted:

What is up with people leaving their vehicles to road rage at other drivers? That happened to me yesterday, except the lady followed me into a Barnes and Noble parking lot. The whole story is on the previous page.

What really kills me about this is how the road rage usually started because they were in a loving hurry. Oh NOW you have time to gently caress around and go pick a fight? You were tailgating/running reds/passing illegally just a god drat second ago!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Arriviste posted:

If there isn't any other nearby traffic to disrupt/annoy I will start with gradually deaccelerating by cruise control until I'm going as low as 40. If :sparkles: on the phone doesn't catch on, I pop back up to 55. The required treatment is usually a couple of doses, then I get the finger from mad :sparkles: as she (sometimes he) gets the message and finally passes me *BbbraAAAPpp*.

I've done the opposite, slowly pushing them up to 90mph or more until THEY realize how much of a zombie they're being and slam on the brakes. The moment of realization is very obvious and funny.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Took me 5 years to get the first scratch on my 04 C70, but when I did it was a doozy. Like Karmic buildup or something.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Krakkles posted:

You & the daughter ok? I hope so!

Oh yeah, sorry not to put a timeframe on it. That happened three years ago. I had just dropped my daughter off at school so I was alone in the car. Volvo did what Volvos do, I was uninjured.

The replacement is not as mint but I'm working on it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Locator posted:

The bus blocking the entire freeway to make his illegal turn is nice. I also like how many turn on their hazards, as if that makes it all cool.

So last week there was a fatal wreck on my morning commute. The freeway was closed, and at one point about an hour in the police were directing cars to U-turn and drive back down on-ramps to allow stuck traffic to find another way to work.

The very next day I poo poo you not, I go to turn on my normal on-ramp and there's an rear end in a top hat sitting there facing me with his signal on, because the freeway was a little backed up, as it normally is. He got to drive down the on-ramp one time for a very rare freeway closing, and now he thinks it's okay to do it any time he doesn't like what he sees.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Ya know, I almost never get calls while I'm driving so I've never really thought much about taking the call (phone to ear), seeing if it's important, then either quickly finishing the call or telling whoever it is that I'm driving and will call them back when I'm done. In cases where the person needed to talk to me, I'd pull over.

I've decided that this is no longer acceptable as I had my first near-wreck this week due to being on the phone. To be fair, it wouldn't have been my fault. I was in the left lane doing about 70 in a 65 mph zone, and about to change over to the right after a pass, when a Porsche 928 came tearing up behind me so fast that he was not there one second, and there the next. Because I was on the phone I couldn't signal, so I started to move over but he assumed I didn't see him and moved right to undertake me. I had a split second of absolute panic, until he saw my move and swerved back left, and I very quickly finished my lane change to the right. He blasted past me doing at least 100, full throttle with exhaust screaming.

On one hand he was driving WAY illegally and like an rear end in a top hat to boot. But I fully recognize that I would have been much better equipped to safely react to his dangerous behavior were I not on the phone. I've always preached that it's my job as a good driver to avoid other people's idiocy when possible regardless of how the insurance would play out.

I promise AI I will no longer phone and drive.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 24, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

I read in this thread about someone following some bicyclists up a hill and either can't or won't cross the double yellow line to pass and creates a huge line of traffic. none recall this video?

Wasn't a hill, but this one made the news 2 years ago and the guy got ticketed because it is perfectly legal to cross the double yellow when passing bikes here in CO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFM5QiAd3QA

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I just realized I need a dash cam specifically so I can share with you guys the absolute shitshow that is my daughter's junior high. Like this morning, I guess I stopped later than a woman liked at a stop sign today, because instead of driving through normally she came to a complete stop on the cross street in front of me and stared at me for a good second or two before I gave her the "what the gently caress are you looking at" hands and she moved on. Then of course when I turned and was following her, at the next intersection I had to wait as she stopped without pulling over to let her idiot kid get out of the car.

Etc etc and so it goes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That was a woman, she says something like "please don't try to knock me off" as she passes him, and he says something like "shut up you oval office". She must have flipped him off because he chases her down and says "put your finger up at me?" and then shoves her down.

She may have been a bit hostile but I think he's the bigger dick in this one.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

My favorite fact about Wyoming is that more people live in the city of Portland Oregon than in the entire state of Wyoming. And not Portland metro, just the city limits.

My favorite joke involving Wyoming is the one where the blonde girl in the office is ridiculed all the time for being dumb. Finally one day she's had enough, and says "I'm going to prove to all of you that I'm smart! I'm going to go home and learn all the state capitols!

So she studied late into the night, and once she believed she finally had them all she went to bed.

The next day the office was chuckling and murmuring as she walked in, and a co-worker spoke up: "So did you learn all the state capitols?" "Yes" She said. "Quiz me!".

"Okay, what is the capitol of Wyoming?"

She panicked for a second, then a smile spread across her face as she loudly exclaimed "W!"

edit: Sorry thought I was reading the chat thread.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

wayfinder posted:

Also: "capital"

God dammit, I double checked that too but misunderstood what I was reading.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Dealt with a complete rear end the other day.

So I live right off a major street in Denver. Like, speed limit is 65, and between daylight hours it's practically packed. Here's a pic of the merge lane onto this street:

Sorry, I'm gonna call you out here. I drive that road weekly (during rush hour), the limit there is 55, but NOBODY goes 55 through there, it's always 45 due to traffic. I acknowledge that the traffic is thick, but if your car is really that gutless where you can't accelerate with your signal on and merge you need to go a block north to Dartmouth where the merge lane is 3 times longer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's funny, I've learned to not let internet poo poo get to me but I'm absolutely outraged by that video, it's hilarious. Like I'm sitting here wishing I was there so I could just yank one or both of them out of their car and back it up myself. Easy enough to unlock a convertible when the top's down, I'm tall and have long arms.

Laughing at myself right now because holy christ. Delaying yourself a half hour just because you are still wanting to go first! What's the loving point of going first if not to gain a time advantage! blarrahghaaghg!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It just reminds me of the time I was following two guys through my very own neighborhood, which has a residential 25mph speed limit. So the first guy was doing 25 and the second guy was riding his rear end REAL HARD because he desperately wanted to speed through this neighborhood where children play and people live. So as the lead guy turns at his street, he flips the second guy off. Now suddenly 2nd guy slams on his brakes, throws it in reverse, and almost backs into me because for some reason HE'S NO LONGER IN A HURRY, NOW HE HAS TIME TO FIGHT AN OLD GUY. I basically blocked him and really enjoyed laying on my horn. He looked so confused, because now he was the guy who was holding up traffic which just 5 seconds prior was really pissing him off for some stupid reason. He got out, tried to yell at the old guy, and then got back in his truck and took off at way too high a speed.

People are fundamentally broken inside.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I'm driving up 330 towards Big Bear, CA, which is a 5500' climb up a mountain over about 15 miles, mostly one lane with a few passing zones. It's dark and I'm unfamiliar with this road and I don't want to fall off of the mountain, and I had just been proper hosed by rush hour traffic on 91 through Riverside.

As I am driving up, I see headlights coming at me. A large pickup has decided that he wants to pass a guy on a double yellow line. I slam on the brakes. He gets back in his lane.

Further up the road, I approach some cars in front of me. Some cars fill in behind me. We get to a passing zone, and most people go to pass this minivan. An Acura SUV with ice blue headlights gets in front of me but not the minivan before the passing zone ends. The Acura proceeds to ride up the mountain inches off of the minivan's bumper, flashing his high beams, honking his horn, perhaps in attempt to get the minivan to use a pulloff.

Now mind you, this guy isn't going that slow. He's doing the speed limit in the straights, and I would say at most being cautious in the turns. Nothing that would get me upset. But this Acura is pissed and crazy. At the next passing zone, the Acura passes the minivan and takes off. The minivan flashes his lights at the Acura. I stay back keeping a normal safe distance.

A little further up, I decide that I'm feeling more comfortable with the road, and the minivan is going kinda slow around the turns. At the next passing zone, I make my move. The minivan starts racing me and not letting me pass. I'm in a 2.0 liter Impreza at altitude and I'm giving it all she's got. Either he let up, or I was able to squeeze it out, but I just about made it past 60 mph. The minivan put his high beams on. But I was able to move on as some curves came up and as I took them at a normal safe reasonable speed, he went back to crawling around them.

Living near the mountains, I'll never have a non turbo car again. 1) Passing is a great excuse to feel the surge of power, and 2) that passing duel poo poo never happens.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

My dad taught me that instead of calling the cops, if someone is following you after road rage, to just drive to your local police department so you can sort it out there. No waiting for cops to arrive, no showing the crazy person where you live.

Obviously doesn't work if they cut you off or whatever but if they just follow it works great. He's only had to do it once.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I was in the passing lane this morning sort of stuck behind a car and a semi, even though the lane was moving at 70 in a 55, and passing most other traffic. rear end in a top hat in a pickup truck rides right up my tailpipe as if I'm going too slow, so the second I have an opening in the middle lane I throw on my signal and change lanes, and he did that rear end in a top hat thing where he was going to undertake me the second he had the same opening. Because he was jumping the gun and I don't drive like a maniac, he had to swerve back in to the left lane. Less than a car length off my bumper.

I didn't want to be around an rear end in a top hat like that so I back way down to give him room to undertake the car and semi, and he just sat there behind them at a reasonable distance. I was like what the gently caress dude, you were in a huge goddamn reckless driving hurry literally ten seconds ago. So after about a minute of this nonsense with a clear middle lane and three jerks in the left, I undertook the whole lot of them and the semi of all people sped up to 80 just to try and prevent it.

People crazy on the freeway at 7AM.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah 2 years ago I sat on the jury for a guy who was sleeping in his car, he'd been there for 4 hours (because his car broke down), and cops woke him up and immediately DUI tested him. Because he was tired, he was borderline on all the field sobriety tests they gave him, so they charged him anyway. But he fought it in court and we acquitted him.

He still lost his license because he refused the breathalyzer, which is the law here in Colorado.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cage posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder says 2003. Im not too keen on subarus but it looked like it could've been older than that.

A friend of mine introduced me to Subaru's hill holder in the mid 80's so the wiki is definitely incomplete there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

Last night I was on the highway, just me and one other car as far as the eye can see, both of us in the left lane, me approaching from behind. They make no sign of changing lanes, so from about 10 seconds out I give them a quick flash of my high beams to say hey, I'm here, please excuse me.

Nothing.

Get a bit closer, a few seconds later, another flash. They tap their brakes.

3 car lengths back, they're still doing about 60, I flash my high again, they stand on their brake and come to a near stop, I pass them quickly on the right. They finally change lanes to the right lane.

To ride my rear end.

With their high beams on.

Laying on the horn.

What a night to pick to drive instead of my two wheeled jet.

What sucks is that's the part where I'd be a dumbass and floor it to just get away from them, and then I'd get a ticket.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Geoj posted:

Most municipalities have local laws against "shortcutting", if there isn't a state law against it. Usually it carries the same penalty as running a red light or stop sign.

When I lived in Oregon the law was against "using private property for public access" which at least one guy I knew in college got a ticket for. Traffic stopped at a red, he turned in to the gas station and immediately exited on the cross street, cop lit him up.

Of course he was driving a slammed hot pink mini truck, he drew that attention everywhere he went.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Just a minor frustration tonight, I pull up to a 4 way stop and there's a lady on my right at her stop sign, just sitting there with her head pointed down at her lap, reading something. I wait, get frustrated, and of course just as I decide to say gently caress it and go she pops her head up and takes off. So I have to slam on my brakes, which is fine, she had the right of way in the first place, but then of course she sees me way too late and stops in the intersection and tries to wave me out. I just sat there until she left like she was supposed to.

Jesus christ, either drive or don't.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

As for safety, Volvo does it right. All lights on, all the time. Key on lights on. You have to dig in to the software to allow the lights to be shut off manually.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

stangman posted:

This is like a recurring theme though, for the midwest. We vacationed up northwest somewhere and a lightning strike was apparently big news. They were "dispatching news crews" and interviewing people and poo poo. It was surreal.

Yeah, I saw more lightning my first day in Denver (happened to arrive during a really bad June thunderstorm) than in my entire 26 years growing up in Portland. Lightning is not common up there.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I've actually taken to cruising in the middle lane and just following traffic, and watching the cars around me do what they do. If it's clear I'll pass and return to the middle lane. It's so much more relaxing than being stuck in the left lane behind a slow rear end in a top hat, with even more impatient assholes stacked up on my rear bumper, doing things like jerking in to the middle or right lane to try and pass me only to run into traffic and slow down and swerve back in behind, etc.

Then again, here in Denver even the middle lane goes over the speed limit, it's really a competition about whether you want to go 75 or 80 in the left lane at this point.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

Bad driving results in accident on dash cam (full screen and advance to 1:10) :nws: for language
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9de_1456377183

I know this probably makes me a sociopath, but from a pure spectator standpoint that was fuckin cool. I assume he pushed the rear bodywork out of the way and hit the tire, which popped him up into the air? Probably couldn't repeat it if he tried.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

tuna posted:

Caught a little bit of drama on the road tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUghXq90F4I&feature=youtu.be

Car did run a red light (or entered the intersection within .1 seconds of it turning red), and the cyclist/pedestrian hybrid threw a hissy fit.

The irony being the bike dudes were totally in the wrong as well, crossing against the light and stealing right of way from the left turn traffic coming at you.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

There's a guy in the Volvo circles who has two cars with license plates that go like 0O00OO0O and 00OO0O00. I was going to get pictures but it looks like he dumped all of them off the net recently.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah I saw that video earlier of the old man swerving into the biker but I didn't see the part with the old man being a dick. What a loving rear end in a top hat. He deserves at least one kick to the balls, probably several.

It's also probably good that the filming cyclist kept his cool because he was probably packing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Uthor posted:

Not to be pedantic, but it's illegal to cross a solid yellow line. Double yellow means traffic in either direction cannot pass. Sometimes you come across a solid yellow line next to a dashed line. Traffic on the side of the solid yellow cannot pass while traffic on the side of the dashed line can. You see this on hills where traffic traveling up hill cannot see past the crest of the hill and cannot pass safely, but traffic traveling down hill has a much better view and can pass.

Too pedantic. Like nm said, there are exceptions. In Colorado it's fully legal to cross the double yellow to pass a bicycle. There was a case a couple years ago where an rear end in a top hat sat behind two bicyclists refusing to pass them, instead laying on his horn for several miles, while other cars passed him and the bikes. He got ticketed. You can see clearly in the video that it was 100% safe to pass at any time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFM5QiAd3QA

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, I don't remember the state, but it came out in that news item about that old SOB who swerved to purposely hit a passing motorcycle that you can (in that state) legally pass on a double line if the vehicle you're passing is going 25 or more under the posted speed limit and it's not a dangerous pass (blind curve, etc.)

It was Texas.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I do it pretty quickly, but I also try to do it as a friendly "beep beep" rather than "HOOOOOOOOOOONK GO rear end in a top hat". At least I hope it's interpreted that way.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I remember when I finally got a good insurance agent who called me up and pointed out that I was running minimum coverage when I owned a house and had a professional salary. He was like "you have the salary and assets that make you a target for lawsuits, and quadrupling your coverage is only like $12 a month".

So yeah now I run really good coverage. It doesn't cost much more than bad coverage if you have a good record.

In other weirdness, my dad just learned the hard way of a new craigslist scam. People are calling any private seller of a car, saying they want it, and asking them to get a carfax, only "their bank" requires it to be from some no-name carfax knockoff. Of course as soon as you do it you never hear from the buyer again. The "buyer" is actually the knockoff company and they just suckered you into giving them money. And your card info. poo poo, it's probably not even a real report, just one that comes back perfect on all categories. My dad fell for it twice before catching on. Ironic that he was a car dealer and did carfaxes all the time, so he didn't give it a second thought. This is his first experience selling as a private citizen in over 20 years.

I need to call my dad and have him do a chargeback on them and then cancel his card.

Edit: whoops, thought I was posting this in the chat thread.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 19, 2016

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Holy poo poo how loving stupid do you have to be? :psyduck:

I'm amazed at the driver's almost successful avoidance maneuver but then something happens and he jerks the wheel right back in to the car. Was that hyper-overcorrection thinking they were going too far to the right? Or maybe they thought they were swerving in to another car and freaked out? I don't get it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

insta posted:

When I'm on the donorcycle at a stop light, I'll gently caress with people next to me who are buried in their phones. My best was when I gently shimmied backwards about a half bike length, then launched hard towards the crosswalk like the light had turned green. Crotch gazer next to me buries his foot in the gas and jumped into cross traffic, then sheepishly reversed back into place while I obnoxiously did the "clasp two hands together overhead cheering" motion.

I fantasize about doing that too, I've even seen it happen in traffic (left turn lane moves, person in through lane mashes gas and drives into car ahead of them) but I don't do it because no matter how much they deserve it I'd still feel like a turd if anyone got hurt.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Raluek posted:

Not only can you dodge Mustangs, you can also ford Challengers

:golfclap:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Road rage is an amazing thing. I'm a very calm and cool person, very polite, if someone bumps me in a crowd or cuts me off in the aisle of a grocery store I'm perfectly patient and forgiving. Even in traffic I slow to let people in and I expect them to do dumb poo poo so it doesn't bother me when they do it (for the most part).

But this morning I was in a right turn lane at a red waiting for traffic to clear. A bicyclist rode up behind me and couldn't confidently ride between me and the car to my left so he got off his bike and walked it through the gap, hitting my car with his pedal as he went by. Just so that he could sit at the red light one car length ahead. The light then turned green and we all moved on. As I drove away I got super infuriated at just his basic rudeness and spent the next several minutes fantasizing about how I should have got out and done something back to him like push him over or stomp his rim into a taco, or yell or something.

Then I realized I'm an adult human being and we all have to live together, my car is a piece of poo poo so there's no way I could even find which scratch was caused by him, and that I need to get the gently caress over it. The world needs a lot less hostility. But still that primal rage reaction really surprised me. Once again Louis CK sums it up perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

"When I'm in my car I have a different set of values."

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePrs5TyE0A

Lithuanian cops chase a Volvo that deploys a smokescreen

Come on guys, that's not smoke, it's steam, and he didn't "deploy" anything, he just blew his engine. Basically he floors it hard, blowing dark smoke like it's running rich, then something pops and it's all steam from there on out.

It's funny how the video description implies that the driver did it on purpose so everyone watching assumes that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I drive to rural areas and park in the road to do photo shoots all the time. When I encounter people they usually see my camera so they know I don't need help, then smile and wave and drive by like normal human beings.

The best part of all these road rage incidents is the person is raging about being inconvenienced or slowed down. So what do they do? Stop and waste a bunch of time yelling and screaming. If you're in such a big fuckin hurry then why'd you stop?

Same kind of thing happened in my neighborhood, two cars in front of me and the second was badly tailgating the first. He wanted to go faster than 25 in a 25, next to a park and houses where children play. The old man in the first car gets to his street and flips the guy off as he turns. So what does mr speedy do? Slams on his brakes and throws it in reverse to follow and fight the guy. The best part though was I was blocking him from backing up, so we're now sitting there in the street not moving, so I laid on my horn. He was so confused, pissed off about some guy slowing him down while simultaneously doing exactly what he was so mad about. He just got back in his truck and drove off, of course way too fast for the neighborhood.