Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
In Michigan, there are only right hand turns and U-turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is it just me, or are people with Chrysler vehicles the most likely to be assholes?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Smoke posted:

Nope, she was driving alone. Here's an article from the day of the accident with photos of the aftermath. The driver is lucky to have survived that with just two broken vertebrae and a shattered hand.

Thank god, because I'm pretty sure I saw some small gym bag and what looked like a children's backpack, which made it really scary :ohdear:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
When I took the driving test after my 4-year stint in Japan, I drove around a few blocks speeding 2-4 MPH the whole way and mumbling to myself to remember to drive on the right. She told me I was speeding a bit but let me pass anyway.

...got a ticket 2 days later for failing to change to the left lane when passing a couple cops stopped on the shoulder.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Motronic posted:

This right here.

The DOT has regulations on where the signs and lines go. These regulations are set in stone, regardless of the reality of the world around them.

In seemingly most situations the painted lines end up so far back that there is an insufficient sight line to see much more than if another car is actually stopped to your left or right, but not far enough down the road to see if someone is approaching/clueless/ready to blow their stop sign. A lot of this should fall to the local municipality to enforce clear sight lines to property owners on street corners, but I've never actually seen that done other than denying fence permits/requiring lower fencing near the corner. But that 14 foot tall patch of hydrangea on your corner that never gets trimmed is A-OK.

Sorry, I'm rolling up so I can check. I don't need to get t-boned by one of the many clueless drivers on the road.

In Japan, they install mirrors everywhere for just this reason. It works great. Here, vision is obstructed by cars (street parking) , fences, all sorts of things, so the only way to proceed is to basically inch into the street and hope you don't get hit. It sucks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
The real problem with commuting is that you have to drive. Hour long commute on a train? A gently caress load more relaxing than driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic (or just driving).

This country needs public transportation, badly.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Was on the highway, there was a lot of traffic. 25 MPH in the lane that wasn't dead stopped. I leave a good 2 car gap in front of me because, hell, where am I going to go? And the guy behind me is tailgating me super hard and lays on the horn.

Hey guy, see those lanes to your right? Literally full stop. See that river of cars in front of you? All traveling the same slow-rear end speed. Calm yourself down; you're going as fast as you're going to go.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Can't stand people how come to a 4 way stop and don't move even when their turn comes around. Makes the other people confused and fucks up the whole flow because no one knows if this idiot is going to just lurch into motion with no warning.

Sometimes, yeah, but given how people drive, like in the video above at 10:50, the Subaru's vision was probably obstructed and so driving out with nary a care in the world is just asking for an accident, even if it's that person's turn.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

PCOS Bill posted:

Last night there's a light dusting of snow coming down, it's settled a bit on undriven parts of the road but it's that light dusty stuff. I'm on the longest on-ramp in the city behind a guy in an Outback doing 5mph getting onto the highway which is completely empty. As I get within 10 car lengths of him he turns his hazard lights on and does some spazzoid Morse code with his brake lights.

gently caress it. There was only an inch of snow on the paved, lane-wide shoulder (with rumble strips at the edge as a "don't drive here). Passed him as he laid on his horn and tried to jerk his wheel at me to cut me off and just spun tires.

I don't know what was going through his mind but it was probably retarded.

*drives super, super conservatively due to bad weather.
What's that, someone is going to PASS me?!
*performs incredibly dangerous maneuver

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

PT6A posted:

They're so loving difficult to use in a place you're not familiar with, too -- at least trains have named stations, so you have half a chance of knowing where you are (though metro stations with multiple exits can still throw a gently caress into that plan).

Have you ever been to Tokyo? It's confusing even after you've been/lived there, but nearly impossible to figure out for someone who's not familiar, partly because of the various different systems there are.

At least, in central Tokyo, there's only the subway and the JR, but even then, people often stare at one map looking for a station when it only exists in the other system.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It really, really, really depends on the connector and terminals.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cage posted:

Sitting at a red light behind a couple of people, some guy in a white van thought he knew the timing of the lights so well he started to go when he noticed that the perpendicular light changed to red. Took off while our light was red, and it remained red for about 30 more seconds. I guess he forgot about green arrows sometimes happening after a red.

There was no one else in the intersection luckily so I was able to have a good laugh at him. Wish there was a cop around.

I've let off the brakes a few times for this (though smart enough not to hit the gas) because different municipalities do things differently. Some have the arrows before, some after. It is extremely aggravating and confusing, I wish they would just make up their drat minds.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have you ever considered that black BMW 5-Series wagons are just really popular in Spain (all owned by swarthy looking men with a wife and two kids)?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

kastein posted:

I don't know why they don't just make the limit on i90 80mph, it's quite obvious to everyone including the police that that's the de facto speed limit and everything seems to be alright that way.

Honestly, I feel like no matter what the limits gets raised to, people will just continue to go 5-15 MPH faster than it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

MrLonghair posted:

To add some data to the whole talk; The average cost to get a drivers license in Sweden is 15 000 SEK, $1800 US as of today. Needless to say the cops nab licenseless drivers several times a day in my city of 150k people :v:
The work and money required isn't everything, the yearly inspections are unbelievable. Does the vehicle risk breaking down and causing an incident somewhere? Fails. Could it maybe perhaps run a risk of breaking down like that, like some pieces should be replaced because they are worn out? Passes with a note you better listen to and act on.
Needless to say the cops also nab cars driving on plates belonging to cars not allowed to be on the road and cars driving on stolen plates daily! :haw:

The goal with everything is the very re-election campaign sounding "zero-vision" of zero deaths in traffic. Swedish statistics in 2013:
278 deceased
3 deaths per 100k people
0.05 deaths per 1000 vehicles
5 231 589 vehicles (Nearly 10 million people living in the country)

For the sake of statistics to compare to, US data for 2013:
35 490 deceased
11,4 deaths per 100k people
0.14 deaths per 1000 vehicles
258 957 503 vehicles (317 million people)

Russia trailed nearly 10k deaths behind the US and you know how those people drive. Makes you think. Surely some states have proper demands on handing out licenses and inspections?

Michigan has some lovely roads and we had a lovely winter (but on the other hand, Sweden isn't exactly known for its warm winters). Michigan has had over 500 traffic deaths YTD and basically the same population as Sweden.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I wish I could give people tickets for littering. Is it bad that I want to ticket people for flicking their cigarette butts out the window? Assholes.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yesterday we had a power outage near home that took down two signals. Not even blinking, just plain off.

Yeah, nearly everyone kept blasting through like it was green :psyduck:

I don't see a red light :colbert:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, I was just thinking, if I were unfamiliar with the area and drove up to the intersection with a green, I would be thinking "ho hum all's good" and then if I see a giant red circle in the intersection, it would definitely make me think there was some sort of traffic circle in the way that I might want to avoid and tempt me to slam on the brakes.

Even if I were to realize that a signaled intersection wouldn't have a roundabout, it is stupid to make people have to make these kinds of decisions.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Had a truck on the highway today that had mounted an LED headlight bar to their front, like so

It was bright as gently caress and basically just lit up the 4 feet in front of their truck really well, as well as my eyes. It was incredibly stupid and the guy was tailgating me the whole way. gently caress these people.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Geoj posted:

This is what makes living in the midwest bearable for me. I have a 15 mile one-way commute that reliably takes less than 20 minutes, and that's counting getting through two terrible lights (both have two cycles of one direction at a time including turning lanes) that almost always turn red just as I get to them.

California/New York/[desirable place to live] is always nice to visit but gently caress living there unless I'm financially independent and don't have to work.

I live in Detroit and cruising speed in the left lane is not-uncommonly 90 MPH on my commute to work.

...not that I'd ever do that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

The Locator posted:

Almost forgot about the pro-level parking I saw at lunch today. It was so good that I saw two other people taking their phones out and snapping pictures of it.

Sorry for the bad angle that makes it hard to see just how far into the next spot he is, I didn't want to lose my spot in line. When I got there, another car was in that spot, and when that guy came out and saw this, he was pretty obviously pissed, the rear end end of this car was almost behind his car.

The 8' space between the bumper and the curb really makes it.

I once parked like that at a Walgreens. In San Francisco.

It was 430 in the morning on a Saturday, the parking lot was empty, and we just went in to get some fruit. Wasn't really that bad, anyway.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Real problem with zero tolerance drinking/driving is that it basically means you have to go out as a group and have a DD, so good luck if you pick up a date, etc.

Japan has a daiko system where you call a cab and instead of an old guy in a Toyota with automatic doors showing up (a traditional taxi like you'd think of it), two guys in a tiny little econobox (like one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Mira ) show up and one drives your car home and the other follows.

So what happens is 5 of you go get shitfaced and sing drunken karaoke all night long and then you're still shitfaced and have the front desk call for a daiko. 20 minutes later these two guys show up and you tell them where you live and you drive around to each person's house, dropping them off, and then finally you end up at the house of the guy who owns the car.

And all told it was like, 5-6 bucks for each person and everyone's safe and happy.

America needs that really, really badly.

Also, drunk driving laws in Japan are kind of draconian and even being a passenger carries some (same, basically) risk when the driver is drunk, so people don't gently caress around with that poo poo.
http://www.stripes.com/news/japan-s-tougher-drinking-driving-laws-take-effect-1.68979

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

atomicthumbs posted:

apparently we share the road with Wile E. Coyote

Holy poo poo, roadrunner or no, that is an incredibly stupid thing to do. Why would you paint a road/tunnel on a wall with a street leading up to it? Why would you do this? Yeah, it might be funny if it were on a sidewalk or something and you go "haha, you walked into a wall" but a STREET?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Good update. It's kind of ridiculous that guy was going so slowly! I bet he was driving that slowly to aggravate the other drivers around him! Including the motorcyclists! I didn't realize that that would make it legal to pass against a double yellow though! But good to know! I hope that applies to cars as well! Frankly, I'm surprised that old guy wasn't driving a truck! He seems like the kind of guy that needs to feel validated, externally! Just like a lifted, soot-spewing truck would! But I'm glad he's in jail! Given how old he is, I hope he basically stays there until he's an invalid!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

wayfinder posted:

https://i.imgur.com/lyFB18P.webm

Yup let me just change a tire in the center lane of the highway real quick

edit: What the hell man I had a warning sign put up like 30 ft in front of the car??

edit 2: Well it was my jacket and sweater but still

I almost witnessed this thing happen yesterday on the way home from work, except instead of a mostly empty highway and an idiot stopped in the middle of the highway for no reason, it was a packed highway and the guy who almost got hit was just stopped in traffic like everyone else around him, wihch happens every single weekday at that time at that spot. There's actually 5 lanes in that spot and this happened in the lane second from the left. I was in the very middle lane.

Far left lane: a line of stopped cars in front and behind me.
Lane to my left: directly to my left it's empty, but the last car in "line" is just a couple car lengths in front of me.
My lane: guy in front of me is just slowly idling forward, as am I.

Suddenly, to my left, I see a Yaris or something just come FLYING (though I was basically stopped so it probably seemed faster than it was) no brakes at all. Then, I assume he finally lifts his head from his phone and notices that, poo poo, there's cars stopped where there's always cars stopped. He slams on the brakes and jerks the wheel to the right and slides right between the car he almost obliterated and the car in front of me. I doubt there was more than a foot of room on either side of the Yaris when he avoided the accident.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Today, on the way to work on the highway, traffic slowed to a crawl because a car ran off the road and was in the median/ditch area. There was a rental truck in front of me that almost rear ended the Buick in front of it and had to swerve to avoid the Buick. Oh well, no harm no foul. The truck, probably embarrassed, merges into the right lane and now I'm behind the Buick.

We get past the accident and traffic starts to flow again. I speed up and look to my right (away from the accident) at a couple of cars parked off the road, wondering if they were construction workers' cars or other cars that ran off the road. Look back in front of me and wow, that Buick is coming at me pretty quickly! I get on the brakes pretty hard and pull onto the shoulder (it's been my experience that a good mix of shoulder/hard braking is the best option). I end up slightly in front of the Buick, because I did have enough room to get onto the shoulder safely without having to jerk the wheel too much.

Point is, some poor lady in a Buick almost got rear ended twice and once was by me. It's me, today (and the guy in the rental truck) :(

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh my way to lunch, some guy crossed a double yellow going east to pass an old guy in a Buick going kind of slow (as in, speed limit) where I dropped the pin. You come off a hill so there's no way he didn't see the two lanes open up, either.

https://goo.gl/maps/eNofT7r2NGp

Kicker is that this road turns into a two-lane road immediately past that (around the driveway in the center) and he ended up stopped at the red light, anyway (Cabaret Drive).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I saw the car behind me on the highway get pulled over. The traffic was literally stop-and-go so I have no idea what he would have been pulled over for. He wasn't even black :confused:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

GutBomb posted:

have the engine from a Pontiac solstice

Yeah but it's the LE5, which is just their base L850 NA engine.

That said, it seems to be a giant go-kart or mini Ariel Atom so I don't see what's wrong with the concept.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Every day on my way home, I go through this exit: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.47587,-83.1470295,17.54z

There's way too much going on so explore on street view if you care, but I'll just say that there are always - ALWAYS - people in the second-from-left lane (the right-most lane from the highway exit) that will cut people off to pop into the left-most lane (left-turn-only-onto-Woodward) or the second from left lane (after the left-only-onto Woodward pops into existence).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Saw some older lady in a Fit almost get crushed by a gravel truck on the highway, today. If the traffic hadn't been slower, the truck wouldn't have been able to stop in time at all. She was in the right-middle lane (of 4) with at least a good dozen or so car lengths in front of her completely empty (probably more) and decided she wanted to get into the left-middle lane which was backed up, so she just STOPPED. The gravel truck basically jammed his brake pedal to the floor and it barely stopped in time. There may have been puffs of white air/smoke (Jake brake? I don't know) coming out but this massive truck stops a foot off her bumper.

As traffic gets going again, she's just stopped there in the middle of the highway, not moving. Another 20 car lengths or so later, she starts to go. Pretty sure she's going to cause an accident by October.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

TotalLossBrain posted:

To contribute, last night I saw a black Suburban driving on the interstate with barely visible DLR's in front and zero lights in the back. I think they were lit, but darkened so severely that they were not visible. How can someone drive along like that and not notice something is amiss? I'm genuinely scared to think that to them, nothing is amiss - because that's what it always looks like.

I really hate people with blacked out lights. The lights are there to fulfill a function and you can make them look as cool as you want so long as it doesn't impede that function. Is this actually legal?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Number of vehicles on my commute home, 20 mins on the highway, last night late into twilight without their lights on: 3 SUVs and one semi.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Phanatic posted:

That's exactly efficient. An IC engine's running at its most efficient when the throttle is wide open and the engine is ingesting all the fuel and air it can handle. A small undersized engine that needs to redline to drive on the highway is more efficient than a big oversized engine that can do it while burbling along at 2000rpm.

Why do you say that WOT is the most efficient condition? Are you also considering engine load, etc?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Okay, right. Of course that makes sense; I was thinking of peak torque which generally occurs before WOT.

But as others said, you can't translate this directly into it being the most fuel-efficient operating condition. You have to consider the transmission, fueling strategy, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Saukkis posted:

The other kind is engine efficiency, how to produce the most power compared to the fuel burned. An engine producing 100 kW power while burning 100 grams of fuel per minute is more efficient than an engine producing 50 kW while burning 80 grams of fuel, but the 100 kW engine would actually burn more fuel.

Oh yeah, okay, thanks for this because it clarifies why I thought that statement about engine having its highest efficiency at WOT was strange. Although the engine may produce the most power at WOT, it doesn't make that the most efficient operating condition. If you look at engine output curves, you'll see that output / increase in RPM drops near the top. Which means, though you're getting more power out of the engine, the output/fuel ratio has dropped, which means less efficiency.

All depends on the specific engine, of course.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Diesel engines run in the very lean region, so the precise amount of air entering the engine is not so important.
Typical gasoline engines run very close to stoich, so you need to be able to control the amount of air entering the combustion chamber. When gasoline engines run lean, exhaust temperatures skyrocket, and that's bad for all things during/after combustion and generates excess NOx. In addition, you'll now start misfiring.

There have been various attempts to make gasoline lean-burn engines (some of them successful) but for now, the drawbacks outweigh the benefits from these systems. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean-burn Even in these cases, though, the air coming in to the engine still has to be controlled.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Gas engines need to keep the air/fuel ratio in a narrow range, so they need some way to limit air intake when power output (and hence fuel delivery) is low. Most engines still use a throttle valve. BMW uses a variable valve lift system instead - though they do still equip the engine with a throttle valve for fail-safe reasons. I think you'll see more engines in the future use tricks like that since there are some efficiency advantages.

That's neat, didn't know about that.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/25/valvetronic-bmws-innovative-throttle-system/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Fun fact! You can tell when tungsten headlights are off after a crash because the tungsten will oxidize when hot but will not while cold. Therefore, an accident investigator can look at the filament in the light bulb to determine if it was on or off at the time of the crash.

Also, tungsten filaments rely on the power of gaseous lithium to keep them from falling apart.

:science:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

kastein posted:

It was dark as hell and he was in the right lane, and I'd just been in the left lane and could tell he had a fairly long stretch of empty lane in front of him when I looked over to move right. Which I only bothered to do, because, well, I'd be a gigantic hypocrite if I went around hogging the left lane all the time, since that's my #1 complaint.

To be clear: I fully admit I hosed up by merging into his blind spot, I wasn't even thinking about that, and I've been more cautious about that since it was brought up. I simply didn't expect a sudden lane change (and equally sudden swerve when he realized he was leaving his lane and headed for a car) because there'd been no indication he was going to change lanes, and no reason to do so. I still don't think it was an intentional lane change on his part, really - and given that, I don't really see how being in his blind spot (or not) would affect this particular incident.

Was there a slight left curve on the highway? Looks like maybe he wasn't paying attention and held the turn too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I moved to Michigan a few years ago and when done well, they grew on me. It gives you the option to turn left from either the left lane or the right lane. It also makes getting to the opposite side of the street a lot easier and safer, as you're not sitting in the suicide lane (not called that for no reason) waiting for a chance to go. You also don't end up blocking other people, nor is there the whole "I want to turn left and the traffic going right is jammed, so someone is giving me a gap, but I can't see the traffic going left so wtf do I do" thing.

But one problem is that not every road has it, so before you learn which ones do, you're completely hosed when it comes to which lane you should be in if you want to turn left.