Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sanchez posted:

Mandating that cars with permanently illuminated dashboards have automatic lights would fix the issue and cost the manufacturers next to nothing. Ideally, the car would default to "Auto" whenever it was started, preventing people from shutting the lights off one day and leaving them like that.

My car is setup exactly like this, except the backlights on the dash don't light up during the day (the needles do though). You have to make an effort to actually disable the automatic lights, every time you drive.

If you're stupid enough to leave the switch in the on position (despite all the bells/gongs/beeps/etc) when you get out, the car shuts them off 10 minutes after you shut off the engine, even on the cars optioned without automatic headlights. And if you have the automatic headlights, the only time you ever touch the switch is if it's raining or foggy.

It's one thing GM mostly did right. It'd be nice to have an override when you're trying to load up a cargo van, but just hitting the keyfob, or hitting the door switch, lights everything back up.

Related, a few months ago I pulled up next to a Lexus SUV driving with zero lights. I rolled down the window and asked the driver how she could see. She looked confused, then flipped a switch, and said "oh my mechanic must have turned them off, I just got it back from the shop today". How the gently caress do you manage to drive on a pitch dark road with no lights and not think "why is the road so dark"? :downsgun:

Tex Avery posted:

One night, I'm going to set my cell phone by one of the front windows and just record all of this poo poo that I have to deal with.

If you can figure out a way to get ~12-14VDC out of one of those old bastards (and have a microSD card), I have an extra dashcam I'm not using. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

As someone who's actually ridden on the street cars he operates (though I've never met Tex)..

I agree.

They're really straight out of the early 1900s, right down to the "I smell electrical poo poo burning" smell.

e: vvv :haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They do, though they also come with 12VDC -> Mini USB power supplies. I honestly don't know if that could power a dashcam all day or not; I think mine came with a 1.2 amp power supply (somewhere in that neighborhood anyway). It definitely doesn't work so well on something like a 500mA supply. I have a much smaller battery pack though, I'll see how long it can run my camera tomorrow.

e: I'm sure someone could do the math to figure out if that would run it all day, even factoring in the hilarious overrating on the battery pack.

The line Tex works on has streetcars that date back to long before most of us were born, so who knows what type of power is available..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 3, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Specifically, google Windows Essentials 2009 to get Windows Movie Maker for XP. Or just click this. Scroll down, make sure it says 2009 (and not 2012), then click English to get the installer.

Irony: you can still download 2009 (which is for XP), but you can't download 2011 anymore (which is for Vista).

Once you download the installer, you can choose to install just Movie Maker.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've been run up onto the median multiple times by people cutting tight from the outside lane. Best part is when I popped the median to avoid someone and laid on the horn, and they wound up following me flashing their high beams for a few miles. :psypop:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Does it count when it's a car turning from the middle lane in front of an 18 wheeler?

(then everyone behind the 18 wheeler crosses the line too - both lanes could turn, but the Camry driver had a death wish to turn from that lane - which could only go straight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvv2KCSW18E

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

EightBit posted:

Fuel doors on the passenger side don't make any sense. There's always going to be a driver, put it on the side closest to them.

The car I have now is the first one I've owned that put it on the passenger side.

This is my 9th car, and I've had my license for over 20 years. It took me well over a year to break the habit of pulling up with the drivers side facing the pump. :argh::hf::doh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Had a car pull out in front of me on a 2 lane road (no shoulder) with a 55 mph speed limit. I had to dodge into the turning lane (thank gently caress there was one there, otherwise it would have been hitting a ditch at about 50 or hitting someone head on).

You see two cars in front of me in it, once they turn I gun it trying to get up to the speed limit (we were busy as gently caress today, so every second counted). I was up to about 45 or so when they pulled out, and as soon as I saw them starting to move I started flashing my high beams to get their attention, figuring they'd see me. Nope.

loving idiot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

I remember when I was maybe 8 or 9 I rode my bike out into the street and someone had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting me, and my father smacked the poo poo out of me on the spot and made me apologize to the driver.

Today you'd probably have the parents screaming at you for being an inhuman monster for daring to drive a car on the road when their child was within 500 yards.

I had to slam on the brakes the other day to avoid hitting a kid about the same age. He just glared at me when I laid on the horn and hit the brakes.

Not only was he crossing a major road with a 40 mph speed limit, he did so at a signaled intersection when I had a green light and he had a red. And yeah, if his parents had been there, I'm sure I would have been screamed at. Wouldn't be the first time. I've only seen one parent chastise their child for running out in front of me, and the only reason I didn't splatter him is I saw him run behind a parked car, and saw his feet under the car right at the edge, by the street so I slowed down to a crawl. Slow enough that locking up the brakes just made a slight "erk!" noise.

I remember as a kid, I was always told to NEVER walk or bike behind a car that was backing up. I remember I walked across the sidewalk in front of the house while my stepdad was backing out of the garage, and I got an rear end chewing over it. Now you get glared at if you're backing up and someone has to stop to wait for you. Or god forbid, they keep walking and you hit the brakes to keep from hitting them and making them drop the phone their face is buried in.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I did get hit by a car on my bike when I was a kid. The offending driver brought me home where my mother bandaged me up, and apologized to the near-manslaughterer for the inconvenience.

I hit a (PARKED!) car on a bike when I was kid, and the owner of the car took me home. Does that count? :v:

(had to go to the ER to get stitches, busted my face up a bit)

I don't know if the owner of the car ever did anything about the dent I left in it, I was probably 7 years old. And on their son's bike. I know their son was pissed enough about the busted reflector that he never talked to me again.

TNO posted:

Do your school zones not have flashing lights on the signs telling you when you should slow down?

The majority of the signs I see don't - you only see the lighted ones on major roads. And even then, you often run across signs on major roads that don't have flashing lights.

The last store I worked at, the assistant manager got popped for 45 in a 20 mph school zone (street speed limit was 40, so she was speeding anyway). She pulled into the parking lot at work with the cop in tow, while I figuratively pulled up a seat and some popcorn (also told both the manager and owner "hey you gotta see what's going on out back!") while she argued with the cop that it wasn't a valid school zone because there were no flashing lights (she'd just moved in Texas). You could tell the cop was exercising a LOT of restraint and wanted to smack the poo poo out of her. If he had, I would have turned my head and swore I didn't see anything except for them parking.

The hilarious part was when she came inside and asked how much that ticket would be, and said "it'll be, what, $50? $75?". Everyone cracked up laughing and said she's lucky she didn't go to jail, since she was doing triple the speed limit and was lucky to escape with only a stack of tickets (they also popped her for not registering her car in TX within 30 days, and not getting a Texas license within 30 days). That level of speeding in a school zone is typically a $300 ticket in most of Texas, plus several points.

Goober Peas posted:

Attention everyone! We have a grocery emergency! Must park perpendicular in two handicap spaces, get out of car, run into the store to get groceries! It's ok because have hazards on. LEGALIZE FREEDOM! DON'T TREAD ON ME!

I saw a truck parked across two handicapped spaces AND blocking the ramp yesterday, along with blocking a regular parking space (they had a flatbed trailer attached to it). One of those spaces was one for a van, so it had a huge empty striped-off space next to it.

Those handicapped spaces that are mostly used by my employer's customers, and the neighboring restaurant's customers.

I sat back and watched the fireworks when the cops showed up. It was a contractor renovating a nearby empty space, apparently since it's empty that means they can block the only handicapped spaces on that side of the shopping strip.

I've parked in handicapped spaces before when doing deliveries, until I got an rear end chewing from someone who actually had that space reserved for them. I'll park in a fire lane before I park in either a reserved spot or handicapped now, especially since we don't use car signs at my store, and the local apartments are all too quick to tow.

I'm guilty of grocery emergency parking once, except I parked in front of a cart corral, and apparently parked close enough that someone couldn't get in their car. It was 5 minutes before close and I needed beer. :argh: I felt like a massive dick when I came out and saw the owner of the car next to mine trying to figure out how to get into their car, even moreso when I realized ".... poo poo, I parked in a no parking zone on top of that". :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 23, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NoWake posted:

The Crown Vic was already parked and occupied when I pulled in, but the open spot was closest available and was so very tempting. I obviously don't care about a few more dings at this point, and I admit I'm a pretty passive-aggressive fuckhead when it comes to things like this. The woman spouted a stream of gently caress yous at me while I hopped the console and got out the passanger side. She said she'd hit me for sure when she pulled out, and she would call the police if I didn't find another spot to park. I told her to go ahead and call 'em since I was going to be inside for a while, and took a few pictures in the case she did.

I'm a manchild and did the same thing to someone recently, except their drivers side. Full parking lot at work, they took up 4 parking spaces (2 behind them, plus the 2 they took up with the front of the car).

I watched them park as I was leaving, and they got out of the car, looked at how they parked, shrugged, and went inside. When I got back from my delivery and they were still there, I took the only available parking space on that side of the parking lot (i.e. the only one where I wouldn't have to walk half a block). Not my fault they were nearly 3 feet into the only empty space.

Best part? Their car was about the same size as mine, so there's absolutely no excuse for that poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

What, you mean this isn't the park anywhere button?

I'll be honest... I park in front of apartments, businesses, etc pretty frequently, and throw on my hazards.

In my defense, I deliver packages (and sometimes meals), so at most I'm only there for a couple of minutes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LreWfR_p__M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfWI4AATpjI

I've never wanted to kick someone's balls so hard in my life. Hope this fuckass pulls that kind of poo poo with some Hells Angels one day and gets what he has coming to him

That was actually local to me. The guy is a massive piece of poo poo and tried to run down a couple of 13 years old several years ago (tried and convicted in 2007), and has plenty of other charges over the years. His criminal record goes back to the 1980s...

quote:

Records show he has also faced charges for everything from family violence assault, to unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, reckless driving, abusive calls to 911 and making a terroristic threat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozSfmViagSI

Did a double glance at the lights to make sure that the SUV did not have a protected turn. They did not.

I'm still pulling pieces of the drivers seat out of my rear end.... and I was just a bystander.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Who cares about yield signs anyway?

I was admittedly distracted (was on phone w/gf, but via bluetooth, hands free - you can hear her chuckling at the KACHUNK of my 200k GM penalty box hitting a pothole at the beginning of the clip), but I'm pretty sure if I'd seen that dude earlier, I would have stomped the brakes. If I'd slowed, I'm pretty sure I would have either hit him, or been t-boned, plus I had someone riding my bumper, so it would have likely been a 3+ car wreck. I noticed them just before the "OH poo poo". Mad that I didn't notice them before then, but after seeing how close it was, i'm glad I didn't try to brake.

Apparently dedicated u-turn lanes are kind of a thing you don't see much outside of Texas? They're incredibly common here at signaled highway intersections (both elevated and ground level - for DFW goons, this was Walton Walker at the last onramp before I-35E). Dude in the F-150 was using said u-turn lane, and had a yield sign. 99% of the dedicated u-turn lanes at highways that I've seen are set up like this - lights for regular traffic, yield sign for u-turn traffic.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 11, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I never realized they weren't a thing everywhere until I started taking road trips out of state.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

What we need are laws that require that guy to go straight and turn somewhere there's a dedicated lane rather than holding up 10 cars.

There's a shitload of intersections where I make a right turn, then make the closest legal u-turn, instead of trying to do a left turn. It's the only way to get across a lot of busy roads, even late at night. Sometimes just driving around the entire block is easier/just as fast (maybe faster) than sitting there.

Plus if i'm making a left turn at a signalized intersection, I was taught to pull into the intersection enough to let other cars pass, and to clear the intersection once the light changes if I wasn't able to make the turn before the light changed. I'm already in the middle of the intersection, so I'm blocking cross traffic unless I GTFO.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

We tried that in the suburb I used to live in. It didn't go over well.

They restored the intersection to the way it used to be after about a year (thankfully they just painted over the turn lanes and turned off the signal for it, instead of doing anything permanent to the actual intersection), but the u-turns still exist - they just took down the signals and turned them into single lane (originally it was 2 lanes that could exit the u-turn).

It was also modeled so that you couldn't legally make the u-turn if there was any hint of traffic. Texas law requires that when you make a right turn, you stay in the far right lane (this is common I think, but left turns in TX allow you to end your turn in the lane of your choosing, so long as only 1 lane is turning - I don't think this is as common in other states). The u-turn and speed limit (55 MPH on the road you had to turn onto), plus how fast traffic really moves (anywhere from 30 to 70 depending on the ratio of BMW to Suburban at that moment), meant it was pretty much impossible to dart across before crossing a double white line (frankly, impossible to even make the turn without being a dick and cutting at least 2 people off unless you were far outside of peak traffic hours), and the next place to do a legal u-turn was something close to a mile away going north and about a quarter mile going south. So you were hosed either way if a cop was sitting there during rush hour.

Had it not been one of the busiest intersections in DFW, not something foreign to Texans, not a 40 MPH road going into a 55 MPH road, and had more room to jump across 3 lanes, it may have worked better.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 14, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

totalnewbie posted:

At a busy intersection, there should be a double red light (one at the normal place and one to protect the Michigan-left intersection) so this shouldn't happen. But it sounds like there was already a light (you said they just turned off the signal) so I don't really understand the problem.

But yeah, I can understand how it's confusing. Confused the hell out of me, and still confuses me when I'm in an unfamiliar area. Probably the best idea for busy thoroughfares, though, because you have a wide median and an easy way to cross the street.

The right turn lanes had a yield sign (the rest of the intersection was still signaled, they just turned off the left-turn-only lane signals), and even if it didn't, right turns on red are legal and common here. It was just really difficult to dart across the 3-4 lanes without driving like a total douche or crossing a double white line during peak hours (which gives Plano cops a hard on, they love to write tickets for crossing a double white and changing lanes too quickly). Add the combination of timid old ladies and aggressive BMW drivers.

There were a lot of wrecks from people trying to pull out into 55-65 mph traffic and get over, but since they no longer happened at the actual intersection, it made the city's stats look better for the intersection.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

From this, where you have a 4 way intersection, plus Texas u-turn lanes and the dedicated right turn lane (both with yield signs), to this, just up the road, with just a few seconds to get over there. It ends here, though that was originally 2 lanes, with a signal (that north and southbound traffic always ran when red, because people are robots that don't pay attention to new signals).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 15, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meanwhile, The Dallas Morning News thinks our 5 points intersection is the most dangerous thing in the world.

(it is kinda dangerous.. more because you're likely to get robbed or shot if you stop near there)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

In most cars it's possible to push the pedal lightly enough to actuate the brake lights without applying any braking force. There's usually a plunger switch on the brake pedal set up to illuminate the brake lights as soon as the pedal leaves its "home" position.

Probably someone who left foot brakes resting their foot on the pedal and never uses cruise control.

There's also a rubber stopper in the pedal arm itself... when it rots out or gets damaged, the lights just stay on. It's possible a G6 is old enough that this has happened, though I've mostly seen it happen on Nissan and Honda.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

In most cars I've seen the brake light switch is designed to fail "ON" so you know you have a problem. I once had this happen in a Civic and didn't realize until someone flagged me down to tell me. I wound up JB welding pennies in a stack to replicate the "stopper", as far as I know it is still working to this day :D

Pennies and a lot of electrical tape holding them in are my usual fix :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nsaP posted:

My old rear end car has poo poo go wrong with it and one of my friends keeps condescendingly telling me 'maybe it's time for a new car' like I'm not on the poverty line living paycheck to paycheck.

Yeah...right after I start saving for retirement and get my medical issues treated! lmao...people are so unrealistic.

Yeah... someone I barely know (who works for the same company I do) told me I MUST have a car with under 100k when he saw what I drive (my car looks just fine, thank you, and looks a shitload newer than it really is).

I asked him if he'd make the car payment. "No, that's just part of the job. You can't have a driving job with a high mileage car!".

Told him it must be nice buying a new car every 2 years, but I'd rather pay down my student loans vs buying a newer car every 2 years. This car has held up just fine for the past 140k (has almost 200k now), I don't want a car payment and I don't want to replace the car. I drive my cars until the wheels fall off, then keep putting the wheels back on until they keep falling off enough to get annoying. The wheels haven't even fallen off once yet on this one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Just saw someone at the gas station begin fuelling, get in their car, and then get back out to put the pump handle away. You know, the sequence of events they SPECIFICALLY TELL YOU NOT TO loving DO.

You'd really hate me then, I do this pretty much every time I get gas. I even... open the hood and check the oil (sometimes) when getting gas! But mostly I like listening to the radio or getting out of the sun/wind/rain/whatever when filling up.

Just ground yourself against the car somewhere away from the nozzle before touching the nozzle again and it's a non-issue. My car has plastic body panels too, including around the filler neck, which is just asking for static... right?

The last time I actually stood by the nozzle the entire time, the goddamned thing popped out, while latched on, and drenched me in gas from the waist down. The nozzle didn't shut off until it hit the ground. FWIW, it was a brand new pump, hose, nozzle, etc (installed that day) at the gas station I usually go to. Wound up having to throw away the pants, boxers, shoes, and socks I was wearing, and the drivers seat of my car still reeked of gas for a few days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

These are the tow trucks you share the road with.

Somehow this isn't the only tow truck I've seen with the bendy frame bit recently.

e: could also call it more of Mopar's cab-forward design.... :v: (or maybe cab faceplant)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Block the box, no problem if you've got a 53' trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cz10bqjRso

Oh god I used to work right down the street from there.

That entire area can go gently caress itself.

(cripes, another DFW goon, with a Roav no less? WTF, are we multiplying or some poo poo?)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Solar Coaster posted:

Already Illegal in my state (thank god too) since 2017. What a stupid concept. Put your drat phone down.

http://www.khq.com/story/35916561/washingtons-new-dui-e-law-takes-effect-sunday

If only it was enforced more than it is.

*taps phone in dash mount to acknowledge Google Maps attempting to route me around an accident*

Better yet

*taps phone in dash mount to accept ride request on uber* The gently caress? What do you mean I get a ticket for DUI-E for tapping "accept request"? I'm trying to work here! I only get 10 seconds to decide, it's not like I can find a parking lot that quick!

Texas sort of cracked down recently, but they allow you to at least use navigation. So long as I'm not actually holding the phone, and not swerving, I'm reasonably clear of being in violation. OTOH, they also banned cities from enforcing stricter laws at the same time. I thought red states were all about less government, especially from higher government? :smithicide:

As someone who owned a phone that couldn't actually work as a phone when held up to the ear (later Nexus 6P models; some weird poo poo with their noise cancellation mic that left the other party barely able to hear you), and someone that's had in-car Bluetooth for ages... I can't imagine holding a phone to my ear. Ever. Even at home, I'm using speakerphone; holding the phone up to my ear is too distracting in general. I have an okay Bluetooth headset, but since it's over-ear, I wouldn't want to wear it while driving (it's great for music while working out though).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Alkydere posted:

Ahahahahaha...you must be new to Texas. Usually any reform in Texas is basically: "Somewhat liberal idea takes hold, like reducing/eliminating plastic bags to reduce litter, conservatives scream bloody murder about utterly trivial thing and state legislature bans the ban to signal how conservative Texas is."

But that's neither here nor there.

As for the navigation, that's mainly the only thing I use my phone for while in the car. I get in, tell it to find the fastest way to work through 5:00 rush hour (I work nights), and after a certain point I turn it off since it becomes a straight shot down I-35 at that point.

Only been here for 39 years. :v: Though 20 of those years were spent in that tiny part of Texas that's more Mexico/New Mexico, the rest has been spent in DFW. Moving to Austin just before my 40th birthday, and I moved to DFW just before my 20th birthday... so 20 years in El Paso, 20 years in DFW, almost to the day. didn't really give two shits about politics until 9/11, though.

I'm a part of the gig economy, so one phone is always on the dash (I have a dedicated work phone; personal phone generally sits on the passenger seat or in my pocket). Even if I'm going somewhere I've been to hundreds of times, I still fire up Google Maps - partly from habit, partly to check traffic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Alkydere posted:

Welp, found two idiots within 3 cars. Tiny rear end road through semi-residential area as they tend to be in downtown Austin (29th and Lamar for anyone local)

I don't even live there yet (just visited plenty), and I've had the "pleasure" of experiencing that intersection (and similar idiots) plenty of times. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So tonight, getting on a highway with a 70 MPH limit, I was just at the end of the on ramp (and doing 70, had just merged into the rightmost through lane). Saw "work convoy" vehicles ahead, on the shoulder.

They all swung out into the far right lane (lane I was in) at once. Cue me and several other cars having to either go on the shoulder or force people in the next lane over to avoid slamming into them. :argh:

A bit later, a coworker hit me up on Voxer telling me to avoid a part of said highway. Asked what happened. He said he watched one of the work convoy vehicles pull right out in front of an 18 wheeler. 18 wheeler tried to swerve. It... did not end well (particularly for the driver of the 18 wheeler). Asked where at. It was half a mile away from where they pulled out in front of me. I wound up driving back past there about 30 minutes later - the cab of the 18 wheeler was loving destroyed. Windshield half gone, front left suspension torn off, door hanging by 1 hinge, etc. Looked like they swerved to avoid the convoy vehicle and sideswiped them.

Hopefully the driver survived, but given how destroyed the cab of the truck was, I'm gonna guess they either didn't make it or got severely hosed up. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

Knew a guy ages ago who claimed to keep a carton of BBs in his truck and throw a handful out the window whenever somebody was tailgating him.

I definitely did not do this with paintballs, exiting via sunroof.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Protocol7 posted:

Man, I love when people in dual turn lanes don’t turn into their designated lane, then flip you off when you honk at them.

I've traded paint with someone doing exactly that, twice.

The first one flat out lied to the cop, said I ran a red light "doing at least 60" and smashed into him. Right, because that's going to cause a busted out light and a scraped up fender and bumper on both vehicles, and leave both vehicles able to drive. Showed the cop the dashcam video of us peacefully turning side by side and the other guy taking it wide. Cop ripped him about 50 new assholes. (yeah, I briefly crossed the line, but he whacked me well after)

The other guy took off, I caught up, wound up being a moderately scary thug with no license :stare:. He gave me a bunch of :420: to keep it hush and (mostly) fixed my car (it was 95% rubber transfer from his tires).

Last one... uh, signed a NDA as part of the settlement, all I can really say is the dashcam saved my rear end.

Never buying another (small) silver car. I'd been in 2 accidents in my life before I owned that damned thing, then 3 in 5 years. My insurance is loving rape now, despite none of them being my fault.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 18, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Damnit. Fixed. Try it now. I made the mistake of using the link from my own channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkOhfy651Y8

Youtube be makin it harder to actually find your own older videos.. and link to them. :arghfist::hf::corsair::

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

I was driving Southbound on I-85 near Atlanta today and witnessed a Ram 1500 flat towing a Nissan Altima which had a trailer hitch, and was flat towing an older Hyundai of sorts. :psyduck: Like a super lovely version of an Aussie Road Train, except about 10,000 times more dangerous. I wish I had a dash cam for this, because hoooly poo poo.

I want to see that guy slam the brakes (behind a crash barrier 300 feet away).

I see that poo poo ALL THE TIME driving on I-35 between DFW and Austin, also every time I'm on I-10 west of Midland. Generally all 3 have some degree of accident damage, I've always assumed they were auction cars headed toward Mexico to begin a new life.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

US-75, speed limit 70, traffic is doing, well, about the speed limit.

I'm in the right lane.

Chucklefuck cuts across 4 lanes and slams on his brakes trying to make an exit, then swerves back out of the exit lane into my lane, doing probably ~35ish. I'm down to about 55 since I saw him dart for the exit, but had to really lay into the brakes.

So loving glad I got my brake issues taken care of (rears weren't doing poo poo, fronts would lock up easily), I was a gnat's pube hair away from hitting that dumbfuck. If I'd panicked and locked up the brakes instead of managing to get just short of lockup, I'd probably be in the hospital right now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 29, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

why the heck did he swerve out ofthe exit lane if he was going for the exit? (Also where and when was this? I might've seen it!)

Northbound at the Haskell exit, don't remember what time, but it was the 28th in the afternoon. IIRC it was a silver later model Toyota RAV4.

Guessing they thought they were passing the Knox exit and wanted to get off there? Maybe they heard me laying on the horn and thought they were about to get creamed in the exit lane instead of the right lane? Dropped on their head too many times? Who the gently caress knows.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You know what's nice about having a beater?

You don't slow down for speed bumps or speed humps. You kinda feel a jolt, you sure as gently caress hear the KAFUCKINGCHUNKRATTLERATTLERATTLECHUNKCLATTER*parts fall off*, but you're already so seasick from the car pitching back and forth that you really don't notice. Shocks/struts that actually dampen are for people who care about stuff like "ride quality" and "not getting sea sick while driving". :v:

We won't discuss how it doesn't corner

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

yeah i'm not disagreeing and him doing something is leagues better than what it usually is which is nothing. still, made laugh.

I'd suggest hand signals, but today's drivers will just think you're flipping them off and probably road rage you into a ditch.

FWIW, a friend who couldn't afford a lawyer got hammered by an "excessive DUI" (he, uh, had it coming.. he blew a 0.41 at 10am). Then got hit with another DUI. He got locked up for almost a year, and lost his locksmith license (though that's partly related to the whole "I wound up homeless, so I used skillz to B&E and steal purses while people were sleeping, then got popped for using stolen credit cards at hotels" :fuckoff:)

I've known this dude for 21 years. I don't want to ever share a road with him. Sucks that his career got ruined, but uh.... using your training to B&E and steal poo poo is far beyond any line that should be crossed. I've distanced myself from him considerably; he just got out a few days ago and started calling me to see if he could stay with me. My apartment is wall to wall boxes, I've already given away my couch and bed, and I'm rocking an air mattress until I move. If that's not enough reason, Hell Nope. I've known him a long time, but I can't say I trust him at all anymore.

(also, never B&E into your parent's neighbor's house, especially when your employer installed their cameras... and especially don't get a hotel in your own name using stolen credit cards, WTF MAN)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 11, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Today on I-635:

In the left lane, a pretty new Nissan sedan (Maxima I think?) at a dead stop, with someone sitting in it waving a red rag out the window. Traffic was doing ~70-80 (speed limit is 70). In my mirror I watched him almost get creamed by several people paying a lot less attention.

I don't know if the guy had a death wish or what. I get that cars break down, but that car was (theoretically) too new to have any issues that would prevent you from coasting onto the shoulder. I let the local PD know so they could hopefully get some lights out there (... after listening to "All 911 operators are currently busy, the next available operator will be with you shortly" for several minutes... WTF Garland?!).

PT6A posted:

Isn't 0.4 basically an "you are likely to die" level of intoxication? How do you even operate a car at that point?

As Kozmo pointed out, not with a tolerance. I've had a blood test reveal 0.48% when I was... not in good shape. (not in legal trouble at least) And I was still able to walk out to the ambulance.

MisterOblivious posted:

There's also Naltrexone which makes alcohol less pleasurable. People can enjoy a drink for flavor or company but it keeps the alcohol from tickling that part of the brain that says "This feels good! Drinking more would feel even better!"

I've been on Naltrexone before. It certainly does reduce cravings and very much makes alcohol less desirable (you feel mostly the bad effects, few of the good effects), but it also makes you feel like poo poo for a couple of weeks until you adapt to it. There's a 30 day injection you can get too, but it makes you feel REALLY lovely for a couple of days, and it's $$$$$$$$.

Also, you have to stop taking it a week or two before you take any real pain killers. Which could be a real issue if you, say, break your foot. If you take any opiate-based painkillers on it, it sends you into horrific withdrawal pretty much instantly.

nm posted:

Please don't mix alcohol, weed, and driving. Alcohol and THC mix terribly for driving. You can have someone with a 0.05 and a low delta-9 THC level, and have them driving like they are 0.20.

Good god, this. A couple of beers and a bowl and I'm gone. I can barely navigate Netflix with that combo, and wouldn't even try to walk in public.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

Schools in my area don't even have drivers ed anymore due to budgets and liability. Only the reasonably well off people can afford to put their kids through any sort of drivers education, the rest of the kids only get whatever training mom and dad give them.

Texas used to allow anybody to get a license at 18; 16 if you had completed drivers ed (with a learners permit at 15).

Now? 15 and 16 rules are still in place. No drivers ed? No license until you're 25. Your parents can still teach you, but they'll now have to drop $20 on a packet from the state, order classroom materials (seems to be $50+), and log a bunch of classroom hours, then still go to the DPS and do a driving test.

For better or for worse, I didn't have to take a driving test :corsair:, since I went through an actual drivers ed course - my instructor was able to sign off on that. I think today everyone has to take it?

My home town is ~30 minutes from downtown to New Mexico.. where you at least used to be able to get a full license at 15. Not sure if that's still the case, but in my HS, I knew a few people who took the New Mexico test and put down a friend's address in NM as their home address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The gently caress is she doing in the street with that thing?