Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LloydDobler posted:

About a month ago I went to lunch with my coworkers at a place we often go. As we were leaving we came to a 4 way stop in the parking lot. I waited my turn and as I went, the car across from me tried to turn left across my path. I kept going so he stopped and gave me the angry "what the gently caress" hands. I got irrationally angry because I'd already been waiting for people not taking their turns so I flipped him off and went about my day.

Next time we went to lunch there I learned that they took the stop sign out from his direction so it's now only a 3 way stop and incoming traffic (that guy) has right of way. I felt like a huge rear end in a top hat. It's me, the people you share the road with.

I expect people to run these everytime I pull into a lovely shopping center with this design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PenisMonkey posted:

Nah. They’re used here for the incoming cars. That way they don’t get backed up into the real intersection.

Yeah that's exactly it. It's a strip mall complex with a ton of revitalizing going on, so now it's popular enough that the traffic backs up into the main street if they don't get right of way.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
gently caress people in Texas not knowing how to drive in the drat rain. There is no reason you need to take up three lanes of a four lane highway doing 35MPH with your four-ways on. Get in the right lane where you belong. Don't turn off your four-ways when the rain lets up and stomp on the gas only to almost immediately stomp on the brake because, "surprise", rain leaves big rear end puddles behind.
Also screw DRLs, lady going down 75 doing 35MPH on a highway with no lights on at all on the rear of her vehicle, in a grey/silver ford escape.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SenqOmSjOUo
These are the waters you share a road with.

How has this car not wrecked yet?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Skreemer posted:

Also screw DRLs, lady going down 75 doing 35MPH on a highway with no lights on at all on the rear of her vehicle, in a grey/silver ford escape.

I got a double dose of that this morning, plus it was like 6am so like pitch dark still. One was a person in the same make and model of car I'm driving where I know if the lights are off all the gauges are unlit and you can't see anything in the dark. Its like a 2 yro car too I just don't get how people can be that goofy

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I've heard people even pull the DRL fuses for whatever the gently caress reason. Baffling.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Skreemer posted:

Those cars have automatic lights, just keep it on the loving automatic setting. :shepicide:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Driving to one of my hospitals this morning behind a Pontiac G6 cruising along at like 70mph in a 55, passing folks, with brake lights on pretty much the whole time. What causes that? Hovering your foot on the pedal all the time? Made me want to stay WAY back from them the entire time.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
In most cars it's possible to push the pedal lightly enough to actuate the brake lights without applying any braking force. There's usually a plunger switch on the brake pedal set up to illuminate the brake lights as soon as the pedal leaves its "home" position.

Probably someone who left foot brakes resting their foot on the pedal and never uses cruise control.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

In most cars it's possible to push the pedal lightly enough to actuate the brake lights without applying any braking force. There's usually a plunger switch on the brake pedal set up to illuminate the brake lights as soon as the pedal leaves its "home" position.

Probably someone who left foot brakes resting their foot on the pedal and never uses cruise control.

Either that or the extremely unlikely case a GM has interior parts wear out in a fashion as to cause safety-related problems.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Geoj posted:

Yeah that what I was picturing. Cruise wasn’t even a consideration since it’s a rural road. I just didn’t want to be anywhere near someone who can’t even keep their feet off the wrong pedals while driving.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Driving to one of my hospitals this morning behind a Pontiac G6 cruising along at like 70mph in a 55, passing folks, with brake lights on pretty much the whole time. What causes that? Hovering your foot on the pedal all the time? Made me want to stay WAY back from them the entire time.

In most cars I've seen the brake light switch is designed to fail "ON" so you know you have a problem. I once had this happen in a Civic and didn't realize until someone flagged me down to tell me. I wound up JB welding pennies in a stack to replicate the "stopper", as far as I know it is still working to this day :D

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I had a work truck that the spring that pushed the brake pedal up had failed, so every jostle would blip the sensor and kill the cruise. Wound up attaching a bungee to it to keep it in position because literally gently caress cross country trucking with no cruise.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I feel for people that are in bad positions like man, that sucks about the accident.

Less so when a huge amount of time goes by and this is the solution

Exactly zero when I find out they live across the street. Like, it would take less than 10 minutes to walk to work. Oh come the gently caress on, dude.

e: No they are not handicapped or anything. Just massively lazy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Or poor and can’t afford to repair it? Haha poor people suck

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Anyone who hasn't clicked this link really should, it's amazing.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Protocol7 posted:

Those cars have automatic lights, just keep it on the loving automatic setting. :shepicide:

Mine don't always turn on in the rain. I've kept in the habit of manually turning them on and back to auto if needed because of this.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Or poor and can’t afford to repair it? Haha poor people suck

I get that but if someone has a choice to to not drive something unsafe literally 500 ft why not take it? This isn't a poor person jab.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm guessing the body shop wants $obscene to fix that and the person actually needs to eat this month.

Or they're like "next appointment is in May, have fun!"

I have driven around with wobbles I'd rather not have for similar reasons.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Skreemer posted:

gently caress people in Texas not knowing how to drive in the drat rain. There is no reason you need to take up three lanes of a four lane highway doing 35MPH with your four-ways on.

I didn't even know driving in the rain with the hazards on was a thing, until I moved to DFW. Last one I saw was a Camry, and the driver made sure to turn them off for every stop light, then back on when it went green.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Javid posted:

I'm guessing the body shop wants $obscene to fix that and the person actually needs to eat this month.

My old rear end car has poo poo go wrong with it and one of my friends keeps condescendingly telling me 'maybe it's time for a new car' like I'm not on the poverty line living paycheck to paycheck.

Yeah...right after I start saving for retirement and get my medical issues treated! lmao...people are so unrealistic.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Today I saw somebody in a Sonota on a perfectly straight 30mph road drive into a curb hard enough to knock the bead loose and deflate their tire. The big puff of air was pretty cool but what a dumb way to ruin your own evening.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

There's also a rubber stopper in the pedal arm itself... when it rots out or gets damaged, the lights just stay on. It's possible a G6 is old enough that this has happened, though I've mostly seen it happen on Nissan and Honda.

Gay Weed Dad posted:

In most cars I've seen the brake light switch is designed to fail "ON" so you know you have a problem. I once had this happen in a Civic and didn't realize until someone flagged me down to tell me. I wound up JB welding pennies in a stack to replicate the "stopper", as far as I know it is still working to this day :D

Pennies and a lot of electrical tape holding them in are my usual fix :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nsaP posted:

My old rear end car has poo poo go wrong with it and one of my friends keeps condescendingly telling me 'maybe it's time for a new car' like I'm not on the poverty line living paycheck to paycheck.

Yeah...right after I start saving for retirement and get my medical issues treated! lmao...people are so unrealistic.

Yeah... someone I barely know (who works for the same company I do) told me I MUST have a car with under 100k when he saw what I drive (my car looks just fine, thank you, and looks a shitload newer than it really is).

I asked him if he'd make the car payment. "No, that's just part of the job. You can't have a driving job with a high mileage car!".

Told him it must be nice buying a new car every 2 years, but I'd rather pay down my student loans vs buying a newer car every 2 years. This car has held up just fine for the past 140k (has almost 200k now), I don't want a car payment and I don't want to replace the car. I drive my cars until the wheels fall off, then keep putting the wheels back on until they keep falling off enough to get annoying. The wheels haven't even fallen off once yet on this one.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Flint Ironstag posted:

I didn't even know driving in the rain with the hazards on was a thing, until I moved to DFW. Last one I saw was a Camry, and the driver made sure to turn them off for every stop light, then back on when it went green.

I saw it last week when the first monsoon hit, but that seemed prudent because visibility went down to almost nothing and it was good to have the hazards blinking everywhere.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nsaP posted:

My clueless father and his wife complained to my brother that the car he gave his 17yr old daughter was too unsafe for her to be driving and she needs a newer car. It's a mint '96 Camry that I sold to him then he passed on to her, it will run forever and is good reliable transportation, but lets go ahead and make the child think her father gave her an unsafe piece of poo poo! When we told them to go ahead and buy her a new car if they're so concerned about it they never said another word about it of course.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Javid posted:

Or the insurance company was willing to just cut them a check for the body work and they used the money for [add reason here] instead.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My grandpa gave me his paid-for, perfectly good (minus the known issue that parked it) 89 cougar when I got my license. I've had a few big repairs come up but over the average year it's still costing me less than any sort of financing or lease would. A/C works, gets decent MPG, rides smooth.

The head gasket went in 2016; even that big expense averaged into the year didn't hurt too bad. A lot of other deferred poo poo got taken care of while it was all apart, too.

Every time some minor poo poo comes up with it my dad's like "finally time for a new one, eh?" and I'm just like, no.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Continuing old-car/high mile chat: I usually do have one new car in the fleet but I love having older cars that I can be less paranoid about and just drive. Although having said that, my 212k mile FXT is my favorite car in the group right now and I’m doing everything in my power to keep it nice. It definitely doesn’t look like it’s got the miles it has; it was a one-owner car for 12 years and obviously someone loved it very much. I’m not sure why people have this mentality that more miles=bad car. I’ve had plenty of 200k+ mile cheap cars and have had nary an issue with them other than regular maintenance stuff. I like cars with character.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My brother has more than once commented that I should get a newer nicer car for both me and my wife. I'm the only earner and she does about 4k miles a year, I'm just glad there's a roof up there and shoes down there I don't care what the reg is on my car dude.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i daily a '91 mr2 that has 200k miles on it. in the 30k miles i've put on it in the past 3 years (plus track day/autocross stuff), no issues have happened. the valve cover gasket needs replaced and has since i bought it (lazy) and the ac did not work when i bought it but did after a new condensor and recharge.

just buy old toyotas. they deserve their reputation as bulletproof cars that never die and are cheap to fix. though i guess this is less of an option if you live in the rust belt.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Pennies and a lot of electrical tape holding them in are my usual fix :v:

I drilled a hole in a couple of nickles and zip-tied them to the arm on my clutch pedal that pushes the interlock sensor after the rubber bumper wore out.

Old car chat: DDing an '02.5 Focus that I've had since 2004. Just shy of 165,000 on the odometer (145,000 of which is mine.) Still on the factory engine & transmission, doesn't burn much oil (at 10,000 mile change intervals it loses maybe half a quart) and the transmission smoothly changes between gears.

Its definitely starting to show its age...I'm now fighting rust on the bottom edges of both doors and its been going through drivetrain components - I've replaced both front bearings and the driver's side axle in the last six months. Needs rear brakes, strut/shock refresh and a bunch of deferred under the hood maintenance I've been putting off until it gets warm out.

Not having a car payment is great, but having to deal with failing components on a semi-regular basis gets old after a while.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My clueless father and his wife complained to my brother that the car he gave his 17yr old daughter was too unsafe for her to be driving and she needs a newer car. It's a mint '96 Camry that I sold to him then he passed on to her, it will run forever and is good reliable transportation, but lets go ahead and make the child think her father gave her an unsafe piece of poo poo! When we told them to go ahead and buy her a new car if they're so concerned about it they never said another word about it of course.

Yeah that's what I'm rocking. 208,000 miles and kickin strong. I had a huge wobble in the steering wheel at all speeds which is what precipitated this last comment. I was worried it was suspension components or worse. I just figured it out, one of my tires failed from the inside and is bulging out on the tread.

Taking on loans for a new car seems like the right choice tho.

(On that note tho, the last tire I changed was just last week, and it was for someone who had taken out a loan for a new car the day before and picked up something on the inside of her tire on the way to work. New cars don't seem to be invincible)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
A new colleague asked me for car-buying advice as he needed to get a car for the job.

I suggested:

1) Automatic - frequently some very long crawling tailbacks on his journey
2) Dark colour - roads are dirty and throw up a lot of muck
3) Comfort, rather than sports - he'll feel tired on these journeys and want to relax
4) No low-pro tyres - lots of potholes that eat alloys
5) Don't buy something expensive - you'll soon lose the desire to keep cleaning it and it will get car park dings.

So, he proudly shows me his new manual Audi S4 with optional sportpack in white and on finance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

White actually hides grime better than black. Dirt contrasts heavily with black and stands out but it smoothly turns white into a dingy brown.

(until someone smudges the dirt and reveals the coverup)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

xzzy posted:

White actually hides grime better than black. Dirt contrasts heavily with black and stands out but it smoothly turns white into a dingy brown.

(until someone smudges the dirt and reveals the coverup)

You need a dark gray, hides everything.

Comedy option: brown.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

spog posted:

A new colleague asked me for car-buying advice as he needed to get a car for the job.

I suggested:

1) Automatic - frequently some very long crawling tailbacks on his journey
2) Dark colour - roads are dirty and throw up a lot of muck
3) Comfort, rather than sports - he'll feel tired on these journeys and want to relax
4) No low-pro tyres - lots of potholes that eat alloys
5) Don't buy something expensive - you'll soon lose the desire to keep cleaning it and it will get car park dings.

So, he proudly shows me his new manual Audi S4 with optional sportpack in white and on finance.

Your colleague sounds like a cool dude.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Silver is really good for masking road grime. It just looks darker grey.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Your colleague sounds like a cool dude.

Oh, I definitely give him credit for choosing a fun car, but I can't help feeling a little disrespected that he did the exact opposite of every point I suggested.

My coil springs go so often that when I take it for its test I seems to say 'one MOT and a pair of coils please' every bloody year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Countdown to him getting an object lesson in AWD vs winter tyres in the current weather?