Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

jivjov posted:

The new Evil Hat-made fate dice are either available for purchase now or will be very soon, they're only $15 for 3 sets of dice. Not bad at all.
Actually they are available now but you're slightly wrong. I don't remember the reason why but the Dresdon Files dice are $18. Honestly they are pretty good dice for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Golden Bee posted:

I would offer players a Fate Point if they lose a encounter, and say you're tagging the villain's "Not Til I'm Ready!" aspect.
(It's the same, mechanically, as asking them to concede a contest without taking consequences).
Honestly, the encounters he run aren't actually hard to win. Its just that usually there are fifteen things going on at once and usually makes it hard to defeat someone who requires a full investment of resources to defeat.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Any Defiling magic automatically creates permanent scene Aspects. I mean, the only real "effect" of Defiling magic is that plants nearby die, right? Or can you steal life from nearby creatures?
Defiling pretty much sucks the life force out of everything. I'm trying to remember but I did actually have an idea for what would work as defiling magic and preserver.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Transient People posted:

Considering the Stress Tax is the second worst bit of Core (the worst one being 'max athletics, burn a stunt on buying a catch-all defense skill, or die'), anything that helps take the sting off of it can only be a good thing. Very few characters can get away with not spending points on at least Physique, if not Will, even if they don't fit the concept perfectly.
What the hell are you doing that requires a Stress range more than the default? :psyduck:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Unless you have a boring and inattentive GM, you can't roll the same minmaxed approach for every problem you come across.
Actually you can its just that the GM has to adjust the results in regards to the approached used. I know there is an article where Fred Hicks actually points out that very often characters in fiction have one note approaches to everything which means that it isn't really minmaxing to go with your characters strengths.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 4, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

How does charging (move + attack) work?

From what I'm reading it seems like you can move one zone as part of your attack action if there's nothing stopping you, but what if there is an obstacle, or an enemy in your zone, or if they're more than one zone away?
Honestly the rules are incredibly straightforward. Basically you can freely move between two adjacent zones without any trouble unless the connections between the zones have a hindering effect (ie. Collapsed staircase). If you want to move more than 1 zone you have to make an appropriate athletics check to get there but that counts as your action for your turn. The only way an enemy can actually hinder you is if he creates an obstacle through the overcome action on his turn or has a stunt.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

I've been thinking of combining parts of Dungeon World with Fate - how stupid is this plan?

(I legitimately think that making stunts more like moves would be a good thing, and I'm also planning on stealing the "7-9, 10+" style of success/great success.)
I pretty much thought this was the default way to play the game. If I wasn't on a cellphone I would go into more detail but most of the more interesting Fate stunts are pretty much Apocalypse Engine stunts and vice versa. Fate really isn't at all consistent about it which is my primary complaint with the system
Edit
Look at triggered effects in the toolkit because they are essentially two thirds of the way there to a traditional Dungeon World move. The only part missing is what happens on a failure.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 24, 2013

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Parkreiner posted:

Yeah, it took a surprisingly long time for me to realize that Aspects were, primarily, a way to make spending out-of-game luck points directly equate to something in-game/the storyline/the fiction.
There is a passive effect to aspects that most people tend to ignore but are probably more powerful than just invoking or compelling them. In fact most of the time I've gotten more use of out the fact that an aspect existed than just invoking them or compelling them which is the fact that they are always in play and relevant at all times during the game.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

Dungeon World gives you the weaknesses of the dice; at level 1, you're bad at something, good at a few things, great at one thing. But there's also no weakness mechanic; if you're a mage who drinks a lot, you don't get rewarded for not having the relevant potion or conning it down the river. Players are heroes who focus on their strengths and learn something when they fail, but it takes a lot of failure (6-) add up to a level.

Yes there is. Its entirely dependent on the class whether its actively called out or not but the Psion, Druid, and the Warlock that have massive weaknesses that are easily exploitable by the DM at level 1. Its why generally speaking I think there is little to no difference between the games as one will actively provide you with the advantages and disadvantages through the playbooks and the archetypes while Fate pretty much says,"Just build your own archetype." As you long as you can recognize that fact you should be able to pogo jump between the two games relatively easily though it won't be perfect as you have to discern what remains as a stunt, what should be an aspected ability, and what should just be completely ditched by the wayside.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 5, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

The Druid is the only core class you mentioned; you can't compare someone's made up classes to the systems as created.

If you really want to be pedantic about it then I'll jump to an infinitely better designed core and point out that over a half a dozen of the Apocalypse World classes have similar mechanics.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

I don't know of a world where you can discuss the reward systems of indie RPGs while parasailing with supermodels. I'll take a look tomorrow - which classes?
I don't get the joke or what I said wrong there. :saddowns: I don't have access to the classes right now but I want to say that one of them is the Hardholder which uses the tagging system to form a series of advantages and also forces you to take a disadvantage like having your hold be a massive source of the plague. Though the +disease tag might have been on another class.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

The ability to attack and block with any one of the six approaches as long as it makes narrative sense really sold me on FAE and stops it from having "God-stats," which surprise surprise, is Dex again.
The god stat in Fate accelerated is Dexterity too. Then again given my luck in Fate accelerated Constitution is probably infinitely more important as I never can understand why Fate starts you off with such piddly stress.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

How are you guys handling magic?

So far I've looked at the default system in the Core book (take a relevant aspect and you can roll Lore to do anything you can justify as being a spell) and the Six Viziers system from the Toolkit (take a relevant aspect and spend a refresh and get two blessings/abilities from a list).

The problem is that the first one seems super bland (and a bit overpowered - you get to use your best skill for everything) and the second is pretty imbalanced; you have blessings like "you can pick locks faster sometimes" and blessings like "you can steal the appearance of anyone who's told you their true name" competing against each other.

I feel like Six Viziers has more potential, in that it provides specific, concrete mechanical things that you can do, but I'm interested to hear whether anyone has something else that's worked well for them.
The Six Viziers is designed to be overpowered. If I had to guess that magic system is how you would run an Exalted Campaign.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like how "Never Broken" is completely broken.
I've used something worst than that before. Its not as broken as you would imagine. The only caveat being that if your players are out of or low on Fate points your screwed.

TurninTrix posted:

In contrast, the converted SOTC stunts there are kinda boring but I guess that's just a product of its time.
Most of the Fate stunts in general are incredibly boring.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 14, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Ettin posted:

This doesn't mean it's not that broken, it means the stunts you write are terrible. We know exactly how broken it is because disconnected from its magic system it is exactly four times more powerful than a stunt is supposed to be. :v:
The problem with this argument is that they literally say that you can ignore the advice in the Toolkit. Namely because there really isn't anyway to gauge how powerful an actual ability is in a generic system.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 14, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Zandar posted:

but it's definitely way more powerful than stunts were generally intended to be.
You see I'd actually believe this if there was any indication that they ever followed any inherent logic to them throughout the multiple games they made. Even in the Toolkit outside of the magic system there are stunts far more powerful than the general guidelines should indicate.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 14, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Transient People posted:

Examples? Because usually the internal logic is reallllllllly obvious. Like how Smoke Bomb makes perfect sense once you actually realize how it works.
Well since we are talking about health based stunts Wine Pouring is kind of ridiculous for something that is supposed to be the same exact resource expenditure you get for Smoke Bomb and violates the advice given about how stunts should only provide two shifts of effect.
EDIT:
It also doesn't help that the stunt is so poorly worded that I can't even tell what the intended effect is of the wording "pause battle".

Ettin posted:

This is a problem I've been having while writing Inverse World Accelerated. +2 To A Thing stunts are loving boring, but part of my FAE conversion is redoing as many moves as stunts as I can, so I keep having to look for ways stunts can interact with the mechanics that aren't that. It works but it's a pain! :negative:
One of the problems you are going to run into is that some of the stunts will directly translate into an aspect as opposed to a stunt.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 15, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Transient People posted:

Isn't it kind of obvious?
No it actually isn't because you got it completely wrong. The internal logic of that stunt is the exact opposite of what you assume it is. Admittedly, part of the problem is that you have to take the stunt tree on the whole to figure out what is going on because the other bunch of stunts give you as many Create an Advantage actions as you have defense rolls.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 15, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also, you're talking about the Drunken Monkey stunt tree as a whole. The Drinking From The Jug line of stunts, which you can take without taking anything else from the Drunken Monkey stunt tree, work the way Ettin describes. The tactical uses of the stunts change if you take stunts from the Drunkard's Stagger line of stunts, yes, but that doesn't change what the stunts actually do.
Right but honestly that stunt is entirely useless without the rest of the stunt tree.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

Technically Desty, they're the same thing.
Mechanics wise they don't even remotely have to be the same exact thing. The problem is that thematics wise what type of genre you are emulating would help in this case as I doubt something like No Exit's autosuccess mechanic would be appropriate for some games.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

What? A consequence is a negative aspect that occurs when a condition is met. Desty's talking about a system that hands out a negative aspect when a condition is met.

But yeah, No Exit's autosuccess at the cost of a thing would work too. That's a function of the consequence system in No Exit though.
The consequence system in No Exit works exactly the same as in any other game. The autosuccess mechanic in No Exit is a combination of Dresdon Files and exploding aspects from the toolkit. Then you can have autosuccess mechanics that are stunts that don't really invoke the consequence system either and utilize succeeding at a cost. None of the stuff necessarily has to tie into the consequence system at all.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

So, I’m starting up a campaigned based off of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, using this goon-made edit of FATE. I haven’t ever run a FATE game before, but it sounds pretty dang neat and I’ve been reading through the FATE core book for the past week or so. Couple questions…
Unfortunately, I would say you are better off using Quinn Murphy's game which isn't out yet???....????....????

Ettin posted:

So I recruited a few pals to do writing for Breakfast Cult, and I've noticed something: all the "prolific" Fate writers I know off the top of my head write Fate stuff in an official capacity.

Are there actually people who do lots of third-party Fate products (I mean actual good ones, not Starbright) and I just don't know them or what? :v:
Has Quinn Murphy's done stuff for Fate in an official capacity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

potatocubed posted:

He's writing Fist of Flames for the Fate Worlds Patreon.
Man that arguably is one of the stupidest things I have done on a while. When is that supposed to come out in an official capacity?