Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not sure about the city itself, but definitely check out Fate Freeport if you want a D&D-fied version of FAE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I'm actually bummed that the time travel and the fantasy magic shop games didn't go past character creation, but yeah. People will run what they like, so hopefully you'll find a Fate game you'd be interested in soon. :)

If you want a little crunch in the gear and have a hold of Diaspora or Bulldogs from that last Bundle of Holding, they do have rules for making guns (both slug throwers and energy weapons!) and armor.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Dodge Charms posted:

Are there any FATE games which unify Stress tracks into a single track?

FAE does exactly that! It is rad.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Also, the number of boxes for physical and mental stress tracks still depend on Physique and Will respectively, but you can get around that by just giving everyone three stress boxes flat or however much you like it. Maybe add another mild consequence slot at Good (+3) Physique/Will to keep those skills appealing, and you're good to go.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Sounds interesting at a glance. Consider using Collateral Consequences from the Fate Toolkit, so the players can offload the stress from their failure rolls into the world itself and turn them into tangible complications. :)

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

FATE-powered mecha game, Apotheosis Drive X, is now on sale for five bucks in RPGNow.

I'm definitely going to pick it up, though I'd like to know if anyone's had experience with the game yet.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

To be fair, the Companion never refers to the DnD stats as approaches and more like a very small skill list, like White Picket Witches does. I think it works a little better thinking about them that way.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

petrol blue posted:

That sounds oddly familiar. :v:

Sounds like a fun setup, but your description reads like it's assumed that PCs will pick a single side and stick to it, is that correct? Because I can see my usual group instantly deciding 'screw that, let's make our own faction with blackjack and hookers'.

The game definitely encourages making your own faction that's your thing, yeah. The sample scenario also provides justification for players of multiple factions to work together, so it's possible to go that direction too.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

It's from the Fate System Toolkit, tied to one of the sample magic systems with a lot of other ridiculous stunts like this. I'm... not sure why they threw it in this page without even checking if it meshes with the other stunts.

In contrast, the converted SOTC stunts there are kinda boring but I guess that's just a product of its time.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Would a lot of tweaking be necessary to use Venture City's superpowers system for Exalted? I'm speaking as someone more familiar with the setting than the joy of actually playing 2e. I figure it needs a few more extra stunts for more demigod-like abilities and it's good to go, but I could be missing something.

...Though now that Mad mentioned Wild Blue, I'm now wondering why I never considered using Gifts.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I know for a swashbuckling game someone tried replacing stress boxes with a need to create an advantage. That apparently worked pretty well for them.

Yep! You can find an example of that right here in the Fate Toolkit. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks interesting.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

While we're (sorta) on the subject, what's a good guideline to building encounters? I've run quite a few combat scenes that drag out longer than they should, and a few that ended way too quickly for my tastes. I'm not sure if it's just I put too many mooks in play, or too many stress boxes for each of them, since if I set them either of those too low my players just wipe the opposition off the floor with enough invokes.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I think it's a mindset we get ingrained into as gamers that every conflict a) has to be dealt with a full-blown Thing that we have to map out and roll and deal with on a granular level, and b) has to be fought to the death where one side or the other has to be wiped out completely to "win".

I've been in games where fights were huge affairs with lots of full-blown PC-power-level enemies who would never run or surrender no matter how powerful or intimidating the PCs were, and it turns the whole campaign into a huge slog really fast. You really are better off leaving full-blown conflicts as major events rather than a thing you have because "we need to have a fight each session".

Yeah, I guess it doesn't help that I take my game ideas off JRPGs like TWEWY, Sakura Taisen, and Devil Survivor where fighting is the only way forward. I'm trying to introduce stakes to make it meaningful (characters the PCs care about will be in danger, if they don't step up), but it's still a matter of trading stress until one side falls.

I'll have to figure out other ways to introduce conflict. Fate is not a good combat engine, but I love it all the same.

EDIT: Will also read the Core book again on those enemy guidelines, thanks.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 22, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hopefully it won't take until June for a PDF-only option. Not really keen on those overseas shipping fees.

e: I'm just really excited to get this. :)

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 22, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Aw. :( I guess that makes sense, though.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

It looks like Leisure Games is going to participate in the Bits & Mortar intiative later this week, so keep an eye out for that I guess?

Doesn't seem like there's a participating store in my side of the world though. :(

How do they implement Skill Modes in the book? I've been curious about the idea ever since they introduced it in the Toolkit and it sounds like some folks in G+ really like it (Fred Hicks included).

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Speaking of a world of cardboard, Ryan Danks wrote some cool articles about depicting supers in Core, particularly this one about invulnerable characters like Superman.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hyperactive posted:

The first Robo RPG supplement, which I'm working on right now, has what I hope to be an interesting and unexpectedly canonical take on doing things like that.

Personally, I just expect everything to cross over to AR naturally. Even things that don't.

This is a great article. I've always had a guilty pleasure for L&O, myself.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

That said, it's still playable, if a bit okay way crunchier than Core. You can check out the SRD if you like.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 6, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I somehow managed to forget that Diaspora has 36 skills. :unsmigghh:

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I just really want a Science Team Super Five book. :D

Serious though, looking forward to that expansion.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 10, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Consider checking out Stormcallers from the Fate Toolkit and picking the stuff you like from it. :)

Mitama fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 21, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

The example they give in p.163 is letting you spend a Fate Point to declare (as a story detail) that your grenade or a similar explosion totally hits everyone in a zone. I sorta prefer that over a stunt (which you can still do!) or a flat -2.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 26, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I mean, if you use the mob rules, then area attacks don't need to come up so often anyway. :)

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Rob Donoghue also wrote his own take on two-column Fate. (I personally like that FateDragon setup.)

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Court/Ship always seemed like discount Monsterhearts to me. Maybe because of the art style, maybe because I'm not up on my early modern history of France, but when I read it I kept thinking "what does this game do that Monsterhearts doesn't?"

I don't think that's a fair comparison, since you can eschew all the supernatural stuff (all but the aliens) and it would still be a weird game about French courting, politicking, and ballroom dancing.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I recent Fate news, EH is releasing more of the Worlds of Fate PDFs as stand-alone books in Q1 like they did with Secrets of Cats.

Also Brian Clevenger posted some interesting thoughts on running Exalted with Atomic Robo.

Now I'm thinking putting Atomic Robo together with the Toolkit's Six Viziers and see where that takes me.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Is there a collection of all the icons and graphics used in Fate Core for those of us that want to write up extras?

If you mean the font they use for the dice faces / four actions, you can download it here (scroll down a bit).

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hyperactive posted:

What I'm saying is that it lends itself to just about any/everything else with so little work it's silly. And, as in the quote in my post, it often ends up doing it "better" if you're looking to get big crazy action and a smooth play experience out of the game.

Like, it's not gonna do Ravenloft better than Ravenloft, but it's gonna do RIFTS(tm) better than RIFTS(tm).

That said, I do love to see more games played in the Atomic Robo setting around here. :) I mean, no reason not to do so since the comic is now free and online.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Looks like a preview of Dresden Files Accelerated is out to Fate Core backers. Only a few years late!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Probably, they consider this a big release that justifies the production time. I'm just really impatient, I suppose.