Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Watson made the "mistake" of humbly asking that men attending skeptic conferences not be creepy, stalky assholes. Later that night, a man in an elevator hit on her in a creepy way, and he would have heard her earlier request. And from that story came a thousand poo poo storms, including Dawkins saying (and I'm greatly simplifying here) essentially that boys will be boys. That might be an unfair characterization, so I welcome anyone adding to my understanding of the incident. After that, it was full steam ahead with Rebecca and the other Skepchick contributors getting buried in death/rape threats. Jen McCreight flat out stopped blogging due to the poo poo she was getting being genuinely frightening.

He wrote her a very disturbing letter:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/10/sexism_in_the_skeptic_community_i_spoke_out_then_came_the_rape_threats.html

quote:

Dear Muslima

Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and … yawn … don't tell me yet again, I know you aren't allowed to drive a car, and you can't leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you'll be stoned to death if you commit adultery. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with.

Only this week I heard of one, she calls herself Skep"chick", and do you know what happened to her? A man in a hotel elevator invited her back to his room for coffee. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He invited her back to his room for coffee. Of course she said no, and of course he didn't lay a finger on her, but even so …

And you, Muslima, think you have misogyny to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.

Richard

It could be construed as him trying to tell her to shrug it off, but it was in really poor taste considering what happened to her and others at a couple of the Skeptics conventions.

Between her and a couple of her Skeptic friends, they were bombarded with death threats, threatening emails, threats of rape and torture. It was pretty disgusting. A couple of the Skeptics Conventions even blamed them for the issues instead of standing up for them.

e: I knew about the incident at the conventions prior, but I didn't know Dawkins role in it, really made me lose a lot of respect for the guy.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

There's just something weird to me about the idea of a skeptic 'community'.

Have you seen the community of non-Skeptics? A'la the Tea Party?

Lord Krangdar posted:

You and CommieGIR got a few of the details wrong, which isn't really a big deal but the whole situation became such a poo poo-storm already that I'd rather it be accurately recounted.

Rebecca Watson spoke at a skeptic's conference and later she mentioned her experiences afterward in an un-scripted YouTube video, saying:
P.Z. Meyers, a popular skepticism/science/atheism blogger, https://mentioned.
(that's just an excerpt of the full blog entry)
Richard Dawkins commented on that blog post with:
It was a reply to Meyers and not a letter to Watson as CommieGIR wrongly said.
Later, he clarified his meaning by saying:
Then here is Watson's account of the threatening and abusive comments that followed from other members of the community:
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/10/sexism_in_the_skeptic_community_i_spoke_out_then_came_the_rape_threats.html

Ah okay, that gives a little more insight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

There's also Penn and Teller who are good on stuff that can be objectively measured but once they get into personal beliefs become rather loony.

That was the only part of their tv series that threw me off: They had some good arguments, but then they'd take off on crazy spiels about their personal views.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

platedlizard posted:

This is probably really the wrong thread for this, but is there any way to view past membership rolls for the John Birch Society? Supposedly my step-great-grandfather was a founding member, but googling his name plus John Birch brings up nadda. I've emailed the public relations guy and if that doesn't work I'm going to try to contact them more directly. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm writing a family history and I like digging out these kooky stories about my relatives. Already found out that his wife was an early science fiction fan who was heavily involved in fandom, haha

More on topic, after skimming the JBS website I saw a lot about 'Agenda 21'. What the hell is that about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

Is what it really is, but according to the JBS and other whacko groups, its a UN plan to overthrow the US government and take peoples property. Its not much different from the FEMA conspiracy theories of the 80s

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 25, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sergg posted:

hahahaha! What's thermite made out of? Aluminum and iron oxide. Yeah there might be just a tad bit of those two elements floating around in the debris from two gigantic skyscrapers.

Or an aircraft (entirely aluminium)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sergg posted:

Wait, you're telling me that if you take one gigantic object made mostly of aluminum, and smash it into another object made mostly of iron, and then the remnants of those objects are super-heated by jet fuel and collapse into a giant pile on the ground, that some of object A and some of object B are going to be fused together? Did I get that right? That sounds pretty crazy man, I dunno.

Aluminium, like magnesium alloys, burns pretty freely once you heat it up enough.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Execu-speak posted:

Oh I've tried, I even used occams razor on him, he just won't listen. Every year he spews the same tired old bulshit.

Its because half these conspiracy theorists have no skepticism, if they hear something they think is plausible they don't bother investigating any further.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

As I recall, the images that were released of the plane striking the Pentagon came from a gas station across the street which was far enough away to capture a couple hundred feet of vertical dimension. Which, of course, failed to satisfy the missile/hologram contingent.

Hologram? These people give the US Government way too much credit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

My conspiracy minded facebook friend explained that they were actually small bush planes that hit the twin towers and the explosions came from energy weapons the US government developed with technology they received from aliens. All the videos of the planes hitting the towers were faked and anyone who saw it is either in on the conspiracy or lying for whatever reason.

From the government that cannot even get their Joint Strike Fighter program to work properly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radio Prune posted:

I always thought the :byodood: CRISIS ACTOR :byodood: people clearly have some sort of face perception impairment, which kinda lends something to those who might try and pathologize conspiracy theorists/ies.

I can't wait till they say Pearl Harbor was all a setup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, there are a ton of conspiracy theories around MLK's death. Stuff like that somebody claiming to be an advance man changed his hotel room to the second floor, or that James Earl Ray couldn't have rented the room with the plan to kill MLK because it isn't obvious that the place overlooks the hotel.

The waters were also muddied by the fact that Ray recanted his confession in prison and claimed he only did it on bad advice from his lawyer.

I actually had someone seriously argue that MLK was killed by a friend of MLK in order to turn him into a martyr and push the Civil Rights movement forward. Crazy on the face of it, of course.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love conspiracy theorists.

:tinfoil: "HAARP = Deep Sea Comms for Navy, and therefore controls the weather"

I pointed out that Subs use VLF, and HAARP doesn't even work in that frequency range specified.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

I eat protein whey tubs all at once and I'm dependent on Neuropozyne. Thanks Obama!

My politics are augmented.

duck monster posted:

My loving girlfriend told me last night that the Americans are microchipping all their population as a requirement to get Obamacare, and got really angry when I tried to point out that its a conspiracy theory that dates back to ancient conspiracy theories about masons tattooing the number of the beast on people.

:negative:

I probably should find a new girlfriend. This one was so sane for so long. :smith:

Demand evidence, and if when she can't deliver run for the hills.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrNemo posted:

I just don't get how people manage to get through a sane schooling system and believe some/any of this poo poo. Especially the science stuff.

Where's the fun in everything being NORMAL and non-super secret conspiracy junk?

MrNemo posted:

I had a fun discussing once meeting my uncle's (by marriage) family for an afternoon bbq in Manchester. One of his nephews was, I think, working in software engineering and we got chatting. It rapidly devolved into him telling me about the role of the Illuminati in America as can be clearly seen by all the symbology on dollar bills. I tried explaining the whole Masonic/Deist/Englightenment era philosophy and history of that thing, which he pretty much interpreted as 'Masons? See I told you the Illuminati is controlling it. You've bought into the cover story perpetrated by their history books!' Which was frustrating but pretty much what I expected.

The interesting bit was when he got onto how alternative energy is a scam that will destroy us all because energy isn't real (I think, this was a few years back). That was the major part of the discussion but I really couldn't figure out what he was on about beyond 'all these types of things are called energy but they're all different and I can't see energy so it's a hoax'. The thing I did get was he though wind power was a scientific Frankenstein's monster that would kill us all by using up all the energy in the atmosphere and destroying global weather patterns. Trying to explain to him that energy from wind storms, etc. would be getting converted blowing through forests, etc. didn't do much as he seemed to think if that was getting used to power televisions it pretty much meant we'd destroy weather or something. He also had some theory about perpetual motion engines and how we should be able to produce them.

I've finally gotten to the point where I realize that you just CANNOT argue with people like this, because they see patterns and conspiracies in everything around them. Its like the pattern recognition part of their brain is damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Forgall posted:

What about 420hz.

Hope they never go near an aircraft with 400 Hz power.

• Locked thread