Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They believe that the devil isnt allowed to lead some overt conquest of Earth so he takes a more subtle route and grabs you in ways you wouldn't anticipate (Somehow, God is ok with this I guess? I mean he's omniscient so he must know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The government shouldn't restrict my rights or tax me but should also give my social class free stuff.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Also I'm not sure if it's the same in some EU countries but in at least some parts of Canada dental service isn't covered unless it's an "emergency".

Edit: Also many poorer countries use more flouride in their toothpase. We have less of it in ours because it's designed assuming you're going to get a certain amount just by brushing with the tap water. In developing countries where this isn't the case many toothpaste brands will jack up the amount of flouride. So we're really consuming the same amount of flouride all over the world.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Vorpal Cat posted:

Also because fluorides are a naturally occurring compound some places in the US not only do they not need to add any fluoride to the water, they actually have to remove excess fluoride from the water.

At least part of the idea to use Fluoride came about because some rural Appalachians had really lovely looking teeth but they were reasonably healthy medically speaking. They realized it was because their water had a shitload of fluoride in it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

duz posted:

Don't forget he didn't chose Russia, that's where he was when the US canceled his passport and Russia used that as an excuse to prevent him from leaving. Remember all the news media reporting from the empty seat on the flight he was supposed to be on to... Venezuela I think?
He's been petitioning various European countries for asylum so he can leave Russia for awhile. He clearly would rather be somewhere else, although I'm not sure he's the type that would be happy anywhere that actually exists.

Yeah he originally wanted to go to Iceland. Understandable, but obviously they were not gonna deal with the fallout of holding him.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

The best part is how they always manage to ignore the fact that human eyes aren't that great. For being some ultimate creation of god's design, he sure searched through the bargain bin for quite a few things

Eh, depends on what its used for. An eagle can see really far away in intense detail because it can move fast enough to catch a mouse on the ground. A human with the same skill wouldn't be quite as useful.

Full color vision has its perks tho.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's really bizarre because the Dungeon and Dragons and Harry Potter hysteria comes off the presumption that magic is real and has very serious consequences.
If spells were being published in mainstream books you can get off of Amazon I'm pretty sure it'd make national headlines and DnD would be the most popular hobby ever instead of something weird nerds who don't bathe do. Think of the military and scientific applications.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

has there been any research done into how people can feel reasonably uncertain about the official version of something, only to then unconditionally believe the first contrary argument they find on google?

Yes actually:
http://www.academia.edu/1207098/Dead_and_alive_Beliefs_in_contradictory_conspiracy_theories
University of Kent did a study that looked at people who believe in 9/11 and Princess Diana conspiracy theories. Frequently people would believe multiple theories, even ones that were mutually exclusive (People would agree with the possibility that Diana was killed by MI-6 and also that she staged her own death).

Basically, people feel in their gut that the official story isn't right, and they accept that as 100% true even without any evidence, so they look for any proof of something that backs up their belief. I think even the best of us a're more biased to accept a study that supports a conclusion we already agree with.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think many learn to not speak of it for fear of being mocked. But if you legitimately believed lizardmen were controlling the media to brainwash you i feel like you'd loving freak.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

razorrozar posted:

This never made sense to me. What is an alien supposed to learn by sticking metal up someone's rear end that they couldn't learn better with an external scanner? If we can do it with external scanners and they're supposed to be so far beyond us, why the impromptu colonoscopy?

It's commentary on our society's fears of the gay agenda and otherizing gays by representing them as alien life forms.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I was kidding you autist.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Does anyone know of any good video rebuttals to the whole "Loose Change" stuff? My Pop, in his retirements years, has taken to watching lots of documentaries and has for some reason taken a shine to the LC videos. Dunno why, he's usually more skeptical than that. Anyways, any links I could send him would be cool.

http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/articles/zeitgeist/

This is a good review of Zeitgeist which tries and extrapolate a much larger conspiracy but Act 2 is all about 9/11 with similar talking points to loose change, so the site does similarly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I can't help but highly recommend reading the Part 1 debunking, too, if only because it points out most (but not all) of the various oversimplifications and manipulations of historical mythology the filmmakers used to justify their "point", such as it was. It alone makes for a great case against the rest of it, and hammers home the idea that the people spreading these statements aren't above literally revising history to fit their narrative.

Just to clarify the "but not all" above, there was a particular statement made in Part 1 that I can't remember the exact details of, but it was more or less a quote from a 19th century Egyptologist repeated as fact - never mind that the guy's work itself has been debunked as little more than amateur-level guesswork and handwaving about what he thinks certain things mean, despite the scholarly consensus of the time having already agreed that a lot of what he was saying was wrong. They don't even check to see if their own sources are credible, so why should they be credible themselves?

I will never not find Jesus = Ra funny as hell. Aside from them making some stuff up about Ra wholesale the entire thing hinges on a pun that only works in English.

Son of God = Sun God!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

He wasn't copying freep's model. Freep takes willing donations from suckers, Dunning was using malware.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I don't think it's elaborate as you think. Nerds in particular are threatened by girls who move in on their space. Guy who might have known her posts "proof" shes a total slut and they use it as ammo against her. I mean he knew her personally what else could you need to question her character?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well the whole "natural born citizen" part is tricky because it's ill-defined. Theres a couple different arguments about what it means but so far its been irrelevant because every one whos been elected to date has been born on US soil. Had John McCain been elected it would have possibly been a debate since he was born in Panama (but on a US army base).

It's totally true that it's racism though because HAD John McCain been elected the same fuss would not have been raised.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Marxism sounds like a sweet alternative band.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

"Obama wasn't born in America, he forged his BC. He was born in some other drat country in the middle east somewhere. There's info all over" "Yeah, people debunked his BC four times over already"

:suicide:

I don't know why but the absurdity of this always gets me. I'm imagining the CIA and FBI just standing there like "yeah man definitely fake but what are ya gonna do yknow?"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Interesting conspiracy indeed.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Everyone wishes they were the main character in a government thriller without having to do the work necessary.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Republican Vampire posted:

Yeah it's almost as if rather than reading words letter by letter we instead just sort of glide over them and, in the process, fill in a lot of blanks with questionable accuracy.

It's actually kind of sad and I'm worried that the woman who runs the site has some kind of disorder. If you read her posts, or the posts of her readers and fans, it's basically people being obsessive about how perfect their memories are and how they couldn't possibly be wrong about anything. I get that it's a bit scary and difficult to face the fact that we've all got a lot of false memories because memory is horribly inaccurate and undergoes constant revision, but the extent to which these people are in denial about that is disconcerting.

I think most people don't like saying their memory is faulty. Our memory is supposed to be the only objective personal truth of our personal reality, so the idea that it could be incorrect just feels wrong. Our mind does its best to convince us what we remember must be correct, too, so we end up doubling down.

This sounds like a pretty typical new age wackery to me rather than anything truly insane.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

There is inherent racism in the Ancient Aliens thing, because it mostly focuses on non-white civilizations. There are things that talk about the Norse and the Greeks, but for some reason most of the focus is on non-whites. I wonder why?

I disagree because Stonehenge is a biggie for most alien nutjob conspiracy theorists and I'm pretty sure Britons count as white.

These things cover cultures all over the world and the majority of the world isn't "white", so when you're looking at it as just "Whites" and "Non-white" of course you're going to see more instances of non-white people. If you could break them all down into smaller groups I'm sure it'd be a lot more even.

For example I don't see many alien theories about China, despite all the seemingly anachronistic technology they created.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 1, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

If they had to hire people to pose in pictures in crisis situations why would they hire the same people over and over aaaaaaaasa

Crisis Actor's Union, I hear it's very powerful.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think usually it's people they met who seem nice enough and them once the person is in the semi-anonymonity of social media the crazy leaks in.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tarantula posted:

Then I have no idea how I've never heard of it before it's just such a strange thing to believe that nobody making a movie would leave an actual death in a movie and not notice it.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicide.asp

Basically since the dawn of home video and people's ability to rewatch the movie allows for noticing weird stuff.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Short version is when wiki leaks released John podesta's email people cherry picked a lot of DNC emails that basically said "hey let's get some pizza" and 4chan was like "hey these guys really like pizza. Nobody likes pizza this much...it must be codeword for child prostitutes!" And it snowballed from the claiming all these emails were just coded references to sex acts.

That's it. There's literally nothing there but they wanna make their opponents out to be kiddie diddlers for maximum evil.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm willing to accept my summary isn't great that's just how I understood it based on reading the freep thread.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm still convinced we got monkey pawed on that one

The cubs will win the world series but it will be the last world series ever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Michael Jackson posted:

edit: he smoked a lot of marijuhana before so idk what is ignorance or brain damage.

It's his mind being awoken, friend.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqTmnE9Q2Bw

a number of people on voat and similar places appear to be convinced that this video:
* is clear cut evidence of child abuse
* is clear cut evidence of child abuse connected to pizza shops
* clearly features the voice of John Podesta

schizophrenia is unfortunate

I literally cannot make out anything in this video other than screaming. What the gently caress.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

But it fell straight down. IT FELL STRAIGHT DOWN!!

:beck:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tias posted:

So a dude, citing the facebook group "Killuminati Soldiers" says Osama probably didn't die, because no photos were published, and no U.S. sailor ever saw the corpse. How do you even begin to reply to that :confused:

You can't, really. It was a decision by the Obama administration and the army to bury him at sea quickly to avoid further backlash. If you don't believe that well nothing is really going to work.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Obviously he's hanging out in Argentina.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

This must be what schizophrenia feels like.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Isn't Pizzagate basically based on the incorrect premises that no one likes cheese pizza and that everyone is aware of and uses 4chan code phrases in their lives?

It all relies on cherry picking out of context photos to say "doesn't this seem weird guys???" In absence of actual evidence like missing children, let alone finding any actual children tied up there. Or the place having an actual basement.

If you say that "cheese pizza" is code word for "child prostitute" without any evidence, you've labeled the premises from the start and any mundane conversation looks weird.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

I don't ... I mean, what - do they think the guy changed his name to be a subtle wink for conspiracy theorists? How can you be this disconnected from reality?

They think he's mocking them by being so blatant.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

so you believe podesta really owns a hot dog stand in hawaii? you believe he carries handkerchiefs with pizza related maps on them just because?

Cite your sources but I'd totally believe the handkerchief thing he seems like an odd dude.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Please stop responding to Shbobdb he does this every loving time. I'm not sure if he's being honest or a troll but either way you're not going to get through to him.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

i highly suggest you guys watch the movie Vaxxed

Naw I'm good brah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

High functioning autism is also a diagnosis du jour right now to explain a kid's bad behavior, much like ADHD before it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the illness is a fake (nor is ADHD), but sometimes parents feel helpless and want a diagnosis to help explain why their kid is acting a certain way.

• Locked thread