Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

That she was a prisoner of war, being an American in the area around the time of WW2 starting.

This, of course, ignores the large amount of evidence (like various recovered artifacts from an island that was uninhabited in 1937) that suggests that she just crashed and either died in the crash or died as a castaway on a deserted island.

It should be noted as well that she disappeared 5 days before the outbreak of the Second Sino-Japanese War. There was really no reason for the Japanese to secretly execute an American celebrity at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the argument is that she was executed in the 1940s, which would mean she was held for years.

I guess it's in the same vein of those conspiracy theories about lost POW's who were left behind because the government, probably liberal bureaucrats, wouldn't do enough to bring our brave boys home. It doesn't really make sense for a nation to keep a high profile prisoner from a foreign nation and not use them for some sort of leverage or exchange.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

So...................how about them there Kennedy papers released?

I can't lol hard enough that the FBI actually knew well before that Oswald was a crazy nut and didn't do anything about it. Considering it wouldn't be the last time our intelligence agencies knew about people that would eventually go on to kill a bunch of people.

He was on the radar because he had defected to the Soviet Union but he was such a loser, glory hound I imagine the people who were tasked with watching him didn't take him seriously. There was good evidence he tried to kill General Walker but that's never been confirmed 100% to my knowledge. It was also the 60's so I imagine the information didn't go up the chain fast enough or in a way that was taken seriously by higher ups.

The FBI totally dropped the ball, like someone always does when these things happen in the modern era, but it's reasonable to believe that Oswald wasn't taken seriously because his life had been a sad joke up to that point.

Fun fact, he bought his rifle through the National Rifleman, the NRA magazine. It was through an ad and mail order but even before the NRA going crazy they were at the center of a gun controversy.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 28, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Alchanon run by Scientology?

Do you mean Al-Anon? They're as stated a somewhat veiled evangelical organization. They don't make it outwardly known as far as I know but I've heard, to add to what's been posted, that a big part of it is Jesus and things related to Jesus.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 17, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think George Noory legitimately believes in the angel stuff so he generally invites on more of those types of guests and lets them carry on more than they should. He's also a bad host in general most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Citizen posted:

Bell was softer then other consipracy junk before OKC, but William Peirce who wrote the Turner Diaries was a regular guest.

That got brought up on Last Podcast on the Left but I didn't want to look into it because I'm sure it would take me to some places I didn't want to go or want on my browsing history. Also,

Wikipedia posted:

On May 24, 1996, Bell interviewed William Luther Pierce, author of The Turner Diaries,[20] in which Pierce—writing under the pseudonym "Andrew Macdonald"—depicted a race war leading to the extermination of Jews, non-whites and gay people. Pierce denounced interracial marriage, calling white people who married non-whites "traitors to the white race"—apparently unaware that Bell himself was in an interracial marriage, as his then-wife, Ramona Bell, was an Asian-American of Filipino descent (after Ramona's death, his subsequent wife Airyn would also be Filipino).
lol

He'd have a lot of people on too, like John Lear, who would carry on about how the government sold out America to the grays. Linda Moulton Howe on the verge of crying over cattle mutilation is one thing but a guy talking about the government murder-raping your family with some aliens is probably going to set some people over the edge. OKC was definitely pushed and helped along by the white supremacist underground but these people aren't really helping.

Ken Hite, a game designer and author, does a podcast where he talks about game design and talks about the paranormal a fair deal. He's a skeptic and researches it for work, personal interest, and he pointed out that most UFO culture stuff has nine degrees of separation to William Dudley Pelley. For those who aren't familiar, he was the leader of the fascist Silver Legion of America and fell into obscurity. Pelley, who was "washed up" after WWII, was really big into theosophy before the war and after the war was one of the first writers on UFO's. The whole Nordic alien thing leads back to him a fair deal of the time and the whole, enlightened masters saving mankind alien is pretty much scifi theosophy. Theosophy is generally racist too, unless these associations weren't exactly hinting at it.

• Locked thread