Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
One advantage that thermite has over C4 for the purposes of a conspiracy theorist is that you can make thermite out of iron oxide and aluminum dust. How hard do you think it is to find evidence of iron oxide and aluminum dust in the world trade center ruble. Why bother looking for other posible explanations for you evidence when you already know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

Real racists don't think the Celts were white.

I know racist's actual definition of "white" has more to do with groups who come form former fascist empires then anything actually resembling a coherent definition. But good god how do you possibly get whiter then an Indo-European speaking group of pasty skinned people from northern Europe.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Also because fluorides are a naturally occurring compound some places in the US not only do they not need to add any fluoride to the water, they actually have to remove excess fluoride from the water.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

SO how nuts would the water fluoride conspiracy types get if I pointed out you fill your body with dangerous atomic chlorine every time you eat something with salt in it?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

This is an anecdote, but every goddamn western SF technical or peace keeping technical for UN has always been Hilux that I ever saw in real life. Not just american, but polish, czech, german, italian etc.

If Top Gear has taught me anything its that Toyota Hiluxs are made out of the same magic space material they made the original gameboy out of, and are pretty much impossible to completely destroy by anything short of an RPG to the engine block.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

moller posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War

Also there's a yarn about Taliban suddenly showing up with maple leaf tattoos, because the Hiluxes in Afghanistan came from :canada: and the flag became shorthand for quality or authenticity.

Everybody loves the Hilux.

So if you were a Toyota executive would you consider making the AK 47 of motor vehicles to be a positive or negative thing for you brand identity?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

I'd almost think they should try to buy one of those old trucks and see if they could get the history too, then put it in a show room with the list of beatings it took and still runs

That's kind of what they did on Top Gear, when they tried to kill one and failed. Eventually they gave up and decided to put it on a plinth in the back of their studio where it remains to this day. Thats after running it though multiple sheds, setting it on fire, having it washed out to sea for 12 hours until low tide, and having a 30 story building imploded underneath it. By the end the entire chassis was cracked through and the only thing connecting the front to back was the drive train, but the thing still ran with no spare parts.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Jesus Christ I've never had an urge to watch Top Gear before until hearing that

Most of the clips are available online, hers part one of the Hylex saga.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

The building demolition and plinth were from a later episode in the series.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

cebrail posted:

They also used a (modified) Hilux when drove to the north pole which was the first time someone had reached the north pole in a car.

Don't forget that they later took said Hilux, modified it further and then used it to collect a fresh sample from an active volcano in Iceland.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

So basically Mad Max was off on one important detail: everyone would have plenty of the same drat truck.

Yea in all honesty for a post apocalyptic Mad Max world, a 1978 Ford falcon is probably one of the worst posible car choices short of a Pinto or small Fiat. You want in order reliability, the ability to mount big scary machine guns, easily available spare parts, and fuel economy. A 70s American muscle car has a negative number of those traits.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

KomradeX posted:

I went and I looked it up on youtube and yeah that was insane I was most impressed by it getting washed out to sea and still being able to run

The kind of generous operating tolerances and resistance to foreign matter that makes this possible seems like a useful feature for a technical that's expected to operate in a desert environment for prolonged periods of time. It really is the AK-47 of motor vehicles.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Wow, people seem to really be getting into ebola conspiracies. I've seen a number popping up on social networks.

They all seem to revolve around a sinister intent to infect a percentage of the US and reduce world population (the old standby). It'd be nice if the news outlets would stop trying to scare the hell out of everyone.

edit

What world do these people live in where two is considered an outbreak?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Holy poo poo, this is great. We know that the shape of a torus is actually a limitless form of energy, and we know that mankind was visited by aliens centuries ago, so the aliens must have used torus based engines. How else do you explain crop circles? Yes, I know some crop circles are fake, but I mean the really good crop circles. Especially the ones that look like toruses

Why else do you think doughnuts have so many calories?

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Really the biggest advantage of guns was how easy is was to mass them. If you dedicate a massive portion of your countries industry solo to training, equipping and supplying archers, like England during the hundred years war you can outfit a few thousand longbow men. Fast forward a hindered years or so and countries are fielding 10s of thousands of musketeers. Because the pool of available musketeers is basically anyone with a pulse and 4 functioning limbs, there was a runaway snowball effect as more guns were brought in to counter heavy medieval armor, which lead to guns and gun powder becoming cheaper through experience and economics of scale, which lead to more guns being used, which lead to cheaper guns...

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

fishmech posted:

The thing is it took a long time to get to the point that you could mass gun users, because guns spent a lot of time being real expensive and unreliable. So even though there's hand carried guns as early as around 1350 in Europe, you still gotta wait quite some time before it's developed into a practical and cheap enough weapon to issue en masse.

That's why I said a hundred years or so after the hundred years war, by 1550-1600 guns were cheep, french style mass knights were all but gone, and pike and shot was the order of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It can frequently be bullshit in that sense but those drat spirals show up all over the drat place in nature. Interestingly enough there are also mathematical patterns to aesthetics; humans generally find Fibonacci spirals visually appealing. There could be a poo poo load of reasons for it but it turns out that even human brains tend to behave in somewhat predictable patterns. Certain shapes are viewed as more stable or more pleasing; artists have been using this to their advantage for like...ever. The ancient Greeks also used this sort of thing to design buildings that looked nice.

Considering the original example used to explain the Fibonacci sequence was an idealized version of rabbit breading it really shouldn't be a surprise that it shows up all the time in nature. Consider one of the more famous examples of a Fibonacci spiral in nature, the nautilus. As a nautilus grows in needs a larger shell, however it can't just discard its old one so it has to grow in such a way that enlarging its shell doesn't change its shape and leave room for future growth. These constraints force the nautilus and other molluscs to grow their shells in a Fibonacci spiral as its the only pattern that allows them to grow their shells without changing their shape. It not a coincidence or evidence of some grand design but a result of the way organic life grows.

Its like how so many physics equations have Pi in them, its not a coincidence, its a result of many physical forces expanding uniformly in all directions thus scaling with the surface area of sphere as you move away from their source.

• Locked thread