Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I actually saw something like this on TV, they had a bunch of well known truthers on to watch experiments just like that but the truthers would only retort "But that's not how it happened" "if there was only bending of beams, then how come there was melted steel all over ground zero?" "None of this disproves the jets were actually missiles fitted with holographic projectors" and so on.

Even if they did, it wouldn't help. I once witnessed a conversation between a bunch of the whole 'free car fuel' types who just went on about how Mythbusters were now clearly in the pocket of big oil after they debunked those 'install this in your car for free gas' devices.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

The comments...

:smith:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

It's a dumb extravagant play funded by Switzerland's ill-earned wealth and Europe's long lasting love of pointless, controversial, and tacky pomp. They hired a German art-house theater director to make the thing and he produced exactly the type of nauseating faux-art trash German art-house anythings are known for. Looking into it any further (outside of trying to decipher the themes on a purely "what the hell were they going for?" basis) is the sign of a broken brain. Seek help.

Pretty much this. A lot of the youtube comments on that page are conspiracy 101.

Muted the commentators so their poo poo wouldn't color it, a lot of the imagery seems pretty straightforward.

The underground sections with the slaves and workers are people toiling away in the mines.
The people in the brown/white/green veils represent the mountains. With the dirt and stone and plants on top.
The guys in suits with the huge heads are probably politicians.
The guy in the goat suit is probably the devil of devil's bridge.
The weirdass clock segment probably represented the time pressure of planning, and how it HAD to be on schedule, thus them worshipping the clock.
Only part I can't really get is the scarabs. I guess they're just a generic afterlife symbol.

What's the name of this, anyway? Both the play and the railway thing they are celebrating. There's probably a better video of it somewhere. I assume this is the Teufelsbrücke at Schöllenen Gorge, and not one of the two other Devil's Bridges in Switzerland?

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 19, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

It is the Gotthard Base Tunnel inauguration. There was a full version of it with the original German commentary on it that explained the directors notes on the performance but it's been taken down. Every other version on there is a conspiracy theorists version with commentary and annotations.

It is the Teufelsbrücke at Schöllenen Gorge.

The video probably got taken down because youtube is full of Gottharded people. I was honestly a bit curious. Take your meds, people. :negative:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Quift posted:

To sum this up. I'm from the European, cosmopolitan, educated class that make most of these European institutions run. My cultural sensibilities should be very similar to the target audience.

You should look into some antipsychotic medication. Mental illness doesn't care if you're rich.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
You know, most untreated religious schizophrenic people I've... Received words from all claim that "Schizophrenia isn't a Debilitation, it is a Gift from God.". The others deny having it.

Quift, please go get professional help. We aren't trolling, we are honestly trying to help you.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 11, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Jethro posted:

The problem is, applying numerology to any text can never reveal anything about that text. It can only tell you anything about the person doing the numerology.

Numerology has no basic rules. The various guidebooks and older texts all have different numerical symbols and methods and rules. People will outright ignore or deny ones except the ones they actually use. It's confirmation bias all the way down.

I've read books, each different and each having very sincere followers, where the "Numerological Name of god" are-

11 ("if Only they knew")
42 (Yes, really. Guy was 'decoding' Hitchiker's.)
777 ("Satan's number is 666, and god is greater than satan in all ways.")
The infinity symbol, which isn't a number but they insisted it was.
and, of course, "An unknowable divine number that mortal maths cannot represent."

It's all bullshit.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

It isn't just the unwashed masses waiting for the cargo either.

I haven't read it, and according to Wikipedia it just appears to be a fluff piece about how 'simple programs are more likely to recur' and how 'complex programs can be made of simpler parts so a lot of stuff can be broken down that way'. :shrug:

What's the problem here?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Deep Thought posted:

Isn't it simpler and clearer to call the useage of numerology in whatever capacity, just numerology?

No, because numerology is bullshit.

PS: Your 'I'm just playing devil's advocate' excuse gimmick is paper thin. There's nothing to be gotten out of taking conspiracies and numerology at face value.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Quift posted:

Alchemy is science! To claim otherwise is ignorant and short sighted.

Nice triple post melt down.

If you think alchemy works as well as modern chemistry, go drink some mercury. Ancient alchemists did it all the time. Or some oil of vitriol. That was a fun cure-all.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Quift posted:

I had no clue that this was considered a "melt down". I just tried to reply to the posts in some semblance of order and thought it would be easier to separate the discussions. The norms for this vary on different forums just like the level of reading comprehension.

You tried to post that way, but you failed. I'm not going to get pulled into an obvious Gish Gallop, especially because doing so would probably just feed into your mental illness.

You're trying to conflate an evidence based world view with ancient mysticism and your own twisted psyche. Half that, like the prescription things, is stuff that only happens in your head.

Please, and I'm saying this earnestly, :therapy:

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 18, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

fishmech posted:

Dude this argument makes less sense than all the numerology bullshit. Like you're saying we shouldn't have peace because technology might have been a bit slower, as if it was worth the millions of lives lost or something.

Like if we never had World War II, we'd probably have had computers on only a slight amount of delay because the improvements in various business machines to true computers was already on the way. And a lot of Cold War progress stuff happened during periods of relative peace.

Well you see, delaying technological advancement is bad because the singularity will prevent an infinite amount of suffering so delaying that is like causing an infinite amount of suffering and- :suicide:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

fishmech posted:

Yeah this is pretty much it. Very few fully new things turn up during wars, you simply don't have the time to get it done. You get a lot more new stuff turning up before and after them, because peacetime is much more conducive.

For some mysterious reason, in war time most of the advances are related to killing other people, or the deployment of methods of killing other people. Also dealing with resource shortages.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
It's always a bit sad when these threads catch live ones.

Somewhere a street corner is missing its preacher.
Somewhere a philosophy class is missing a stoned student.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Well that's not necessarily true either.

I said most, and I'd also say that that falls under the umbrella of "logistics", which is what I was getting at with the whole deployment thing. And eh. :shrug: I don't disagree.

McDowell posted:

Who inspired the doctors to seek healing power? Hippocrates and Christ, more often than not.

Nah, most often it's the almighty dollar, or just wanting to help people. :homebrew: Sometimes it's religiously motivated, but in the end it's a temporal profession created by temporal problems so it has mostly temporal motivations.

Also, you should really seek some mental help. Being religious is fine, but you're not posting in touch with reality. You're kinda off in :shroom: territory.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

This thread rapidly went from touching the poop to diving face-first in to raw sewage. :psyduck:

The poo poo grew legs and decided to come to us.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

You could always request access to the time machine, so long as you're an elder of zion (iirc aren't you required to be one to post here?) there should be no problem gaining access

I already spent my allotted time machine hours for the month and don't have enough sorosbucks to buy more. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

:psyduck:

I realise this is the conspiracy thread but I promise you I am not a replicant and you don't need to try to crash my logic core.

The worst part is it was future me from next week who wasted it. But I taught him, shot him dead. That'll teach him.

• Locked thread