Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

I read once that people latch on to conspiracy theories like NWO KILLED JFK :byodood: and HOLOGRAPHIC PLANES ON 9/11 :byodame: because the alternatives-that some nut with a rifle can kill the President or that a bunch of guys with box cutters can destroy the WTC and kill thousands of people-are really inducive to paranoia. I think that accurately explains the appeal of 9/11 and other conspiracy theories.

(Also, no Chile 1973 memorial thread? Shame on you, D&D. :colbert:)

That's pretty much it. Such a big thing happening, to these people's minds, cannot possibly have so simple an explanation. It means that their world is not as 'sturdy' as they would like it, and it has to be some sort of herculean effort. It can't be that this one guy with a rifle and some bullshit reason shot JFK, there has to be more, it can't be that simple, it can't be that cut and dry. There always has to be a conspiracy because their minds will start to add in details. Any coincidence becomes solid proof, anything that discredits their proof is 'planted' by the organization in question. It's almost religious in a way, because they will hold onto their faith that this is truly a conspiracy even as every shred of evidence, when examined, becomes nothing.

Also there's the idea of personal fear. Which would you find scarier? That all the government's forces are so incompetent that they could not adequately detect and stop the worst terrorist attack this nation has ever seen, or that they were the perpetrators to begin with?

Even if the leader is 'evil', in their mind, he's at least some sort of super genius that gets poo poo done, and can keep most of the people safe. The idea that the leaders are good, but utterly incompetent and incapable of protecting you, is terrifying. The people that you have put forth as your protectors, your guardians, and your fearless leaders hosed up, and the idea that they are fallible human beings is incomprehensible. So obviously our protectors, guardians, and fearless leaders were in on it. :tinfoil:

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

"The building collapses happened at almost free-fall speeds."

Every time I see a video claiming to show it was free-fall speeds, they have futzed with the timing, usually on purpose. I saw this in loose change, and I've seen it everytime I've heard of it.

Bedshaped posted:

"If the core columns were cut or melted at the point where the planes collided then the building collapses would have been through the path of least resistance from those points, which is, out and to the sides instead of straight down."

The building did not fall straight down. If it had collapsed inwards, there would not have been a huge fuckoff cloud of debris and there wouldn't have been wreckage piling up for blocks. The top half of it fell down. From the videos, yes, it looks like it's going straight down, but you also have to remember the outside shell, while unable to support it, would still guide it more inwards than outwards.

Bedshaped posted:

"The core columns were made of tempered steel, who's melting point is higher than the temperature that jet fuel burns at."

Metal does not need to melt in order to lose it's structural integrity. You can see this when heating metal enough to shape it. You don't melt it because if you melt it you have to pour it into a mold to cool it, you heat it enough so that it's flexible.

Bedshaped posted:

"An office fire in BLDG7 wouldn't burn nearly hot enough to cause a catastrophic collapse."

If it was truly just an office fire, maybe. Unfortunately it was struck by debris from the WTC collapse, tearing off a huge part of it. That, plus everything else, led to it's collapse.

Bedshaped posted:

It's definitely a valid conspiracy theory if these questions have never been covered in the commission reports though.

This is the worst thing to say ever. Claiming that the absence of evidence, is the evidence of absence, is the dumbest thing ever.

Every time I have discussed things with people on conspiracy theories, I keep on hearing 'Well anything's possible', But in the case of a conspiracy like 9/11, it doesn't make logical sense, so I'll break it down in my own little theory.

If you want to terrorize your own people with a false flag operation.

A: Why would you make some harebrained scheme to crash planes into three buildings, one of which is your own loving command H.Q.? If you want to terrify people and believe that action is needed, set bombs all over the country. Hell, you can even be the hero and defuse some of them and show that your government is still mostly on top of things instead of coming off as loving incompetent.

B: Even if you somehow got it into your head that this harebrained scheme was the only way to get this done, Why would you make it look like you were incompetent? You want these people to want to go to war, but if the government is clearly run by idiots, they're not going to be so gung-ho about it.

C: If you want to terrorize your people into a war with Iraq, why are the hijackers mostly from Saudi-Arabia? How hard would it to be to just make up someone and say they were from Iraq, and then when Iraq claims that they never saw those people before, to simply say they're lying?

D: The big one. If your government is willing to slaughter thousands of people, just to get into a war for that sweet sweet oil, The gently caress do you think they are going to do if you go around saying that it's all a conspiracy theory? They've proven that they view individual life as importantly as a loving gnat's life. Do you honestly think that they could not kill you and make it look like an accident? Hell, they could disgrace your movement and make it look like you died due to auto-erotic asphyxiation. You're talking about a government willing and capable to do anything, capable of getting money from out of nowhere and capable of having stone cold people who in order to get their jobs have to kill their little sisters or kittens or some BS like that.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 16, 2013

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Panda Bear posted:

I feel like this stuff is a lot more interesting than what everyone is talking about but it seems like you're all just satisfied in asserting your intellectual dominance over "conspiracy theorists" (of which I have met few in real life compared with people whose worldviews strive towards an accordance with logic) and (I will say this for the second time) accepting a literal schizophrenic as some sort of authority on conspiracies and "conspiracy theorists." This thread really belongs in GBS with the way it's being handled. Just because you once heard some guy say that he thinks missiles blew up WTC or whatever doesn't mean that everyone who thinks 9/11 was an inside job or some sort of conspiracy is an idiot or not knowledgable or whatever.

It's loving occam's razor. If you want to terrorize your populous into doing what-the-gently caress ever you want, keep it loving simple and easy to explain. You can explain that a bunch of terrorists set up bombs and blew them the gently caress up all over the country, easy. There's hardly any holes, hardly any way anyone can make a credible conspiracy theory solely in that plan. Hell, you can defuse a few of them and be the great heroes!

Logically it makes no sense to make up this grandiose scheme that could be hosed up if one small little thing goes wrong, unless literally everybody is in on it. There has not been one person coming forwards to say that they were part of the op to put bombs in the WTC, There has not been one person whom has said that they were part of this conspiracy. Do you honestly think that all the people that had to be paid off for this to happen, would not have a crisis of conscience? They are after all responsible for the biggest mass murder in the history of this nation.

If you want to discuss conspiracy theories that are full of holes, and bullshit logic, then we're going to point out the holes and bullshit logic. If you continue to try and peddle them even though they've been proven to be poo poo, we're going to make fun of you. There's no real malice behind it, it's just kind of what SA does when confronted with refusal to listen to logic. :v:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

That's the stuff that moves goalposts right?

Moves goalposts, re-writes people's memories, makes it so that every single credible architect is a brainwashed stooge, It's nanomachines Nanothermite baby!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

GodDamnArtist posted:

I've tried countering their idiocy on this, but it just gets to be too dumb... then I realize that I'm wasting my time and try to get back to work.

I think the best way to deal with it, is explain how they could have done things so much easier if they did X.

For instance, 9/11. Why make this obscenely complicated plan that if it hosed up even one slight bit, would reveal everything?

If it was a false flag, they would have simply set up bombs in the towers, and blown it up that way. No airplanes needed. Hell, they could have destroyed only one, and 'saved' the other, using it as a symbol of American skill and overcoming adversity blahblahblah and also they'd have been able to trot around those 'brave heroes' that disarmed the bombs.

Sandy hook though...that takes a special kind of asswipe. Do they really think the suffering and mourning families are all just 'crisis actors'? Do they think the funerals were faked, and the bodies that were laid to rest are all sawdust dummies?

To what end? To take are guns? Well if they were able to set up a situation like this, without being found out by everybody, wouldn't they be able to just outright take them without having issues?

They are both able to pull off horrific operations without any one of their operatives ever growing a conscience and coming clean, and at the same time bumbling morons who can't accomplish anything without 'revealing themselves'. Which is it guys?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

MrNemo posted:

I had a fun discussing once meeting my uncle's (by marriage) family for an afternoon bbq in Manchester. One of his nephews was, I think, working in software engineering and we got chatting. It rapidly devolved into him telling me about the role of the Illuminati in America as can be clearly seen by all the symbology on dollar bills. I tried explaining the whole Masonic/Deist/Englightenment era philosophy and history of that thing, which he pretty much interpreted as 'Masons? See I told you the Illuminati is controlling it. You've bought into the cover story perpetrated by their history books!' Which was frustrating but pretty much what I expected.

The interesting bit was when he got onto how alternative energy is a scam that will destroy us all because energy isn't real (I think, this was a few years back). That was the major part of the discussion but I really couldn't figure out what he was on about beyond 'all these types of things are called energy but they're all different and I can't see energy so it's a hoax'. The thing I did get was he though wind power was a scientific Frankenstein's monster that would kill us all by using up all the energy in the atmosphere and destroying global weather patterns. Trying to explain to him that energy from wind storms, etc. would be getting converted blowing through forests, etc. didn't do much as he seemed to think if that was getting used to power televisions it pretty much meant we'd destroy weather or something. He also had some theory about perpetual motion engines and how we should be able to produce them.

I just don't get how people manage to get through a sane schooling system and believe some/any of this poo poo. Especially the science stuff.

Well, you don't need *all* of your brain to survive, and usually just following instructions is something any idiot can do.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The gently caress is "gang stalking"? :psyduck:

Gang stalking is where the person suffers from a psychological delusion that everybody is out to get them. It means that everything that happens to you in a day is all planned out, and all meant to hurt *you.*

That time someone honked their horn because you didn't go fast enough through the green light? That wasn't just some random rear end in a top hat, that was one of *them* :tinfoil:

Don't get that job that you really wanted? The interviewer was in on it! :tinfoil:

Store out of your favorite beverage? *THEY* knew that you liked that drink and ran to make sure that you couldn't get it. :freep:

It literally means that the world revolves around them and every single inconvenience against them is part of some nebulous plot to keep them down for...some reason. Maybe it's just their turn, maybe they have secret powers and *They* are trying to suppress you, maybe they fear that you know that they're out there, so *they* are doing their damned level best to poo poo on your life. :v:

Its literally a 'I must be so important, the only reason these random coincidences are happening is because everybody hates how special I am'.

See also: Color harassment. Wherein the same group is doing the same thing, but by making sure random things you have to deal with are a CERTAIN COLOR THAT YOU DO NOT LIKE. :suicide:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I remember reading a blog by someone who claimed to be gangstalked, and it was literally

april 3rd, 11:47 am - Was at grocery store, woman looked at me. It was obvious she was a lookout for the team assigned to this store to remove all sale items from the shelves.

And so on, tons of perfectly normal occurrences that you'd have if you live where there are other people are turned into something sinister.

To be fair, we shouldn't mock the mentally disabled. I think it has to do with the part of their brain that tries to link things together having a problem functioning and as a result basically tries to link *everything*.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think we should either, but at the same time, there is no way to talk to someone about this kind of stuff. Even if you say "you need to see someone that can help you" they refuse because no, they're not crazy they know what is happening, what they saw and dammit, they are not going to see a doctor!

I honestly don't know what I could say to someone like that. I mean, I'd like to hope and believe that if it happened someday and I started seeing patterns like that, I'd be able to accept help from my family and think that maybe I *am* seeing things that aren't really there.

But how could I do that if my *brain* is telling me there are patterns there and only I seem to be able to see them. :tinfoil:

Brains are at the same time the most fascinating and the most terrifying things. When things go right, it's a marvel...When something goes wrong, its just...terrifying seeing it all go pear shaped.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Have there been any claims of a conspiracy against Chris Christie? Surely someone believes that he is the next victim of Obama's communist take over.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I'm sure this has been posted before, but I haven't seen it so here it is again, My favorite skewering of conspiracy nuts.

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KGmHsKsa-U:nws:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

kirkjames posted:

What is the endgame in the truther mindset?

To make money. At least all the people who are actually pushing this poo poo. 'Loose Change' made a good bit of :homebrew:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

You seem to believe all 9/11 truthers are racist rednecks though. How does a leftist (of which many truthers are of that variety) justify that?

There's a lot of factors that draw people to a conspiracy theory, some do it for the reasons you mentioned, others want to be part of a "secret club" where they know the truth above others.

It also might be that whole 'us vs them' dichotomy. "You say our poo poo is radical? Well *YOUR* party blew up the WTC!" :freep:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So uh...

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/01/16/obama-tall-white-aliens-rumor/

This happened. Can't wait to hear how many people latch onto it as proof that Obama is not born in America (unless there's a planet named America) and how this is all bullshit! :tinfoil:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

lol if you think snowden isn't still working for the NSA. This is all just a distraction to make the government SEEM bad at keeping secrets to better protect their REAL secrets.

Conspiracy nuts often see evidence disproving their conspiracies as evidence supporting them. "Why else would this convenient evidence that totally disproves my conspiracy exist and be public unless it was PART of the conspiracy!? Wake up sheeple!"

At which point you simply stop replying to them.

Or call for help in case you're afraid they're going to do something monumentally stupid.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Most conspiracy theorists are harmless. That's what makes it funny and not scary.

I dunno, I'd be terrified to be locked in a room with a birther.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Oh loving hell, yes. At my friend's party celebrating her graduation from college, one of her mother's friends decided to start letting loose with all his birther claptrap, acting hostile, and talking about how anyone who thinks that Obama is actually a US citizen is an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to vote

Yeah, the most threats on the president's life I've seen have come from the people screaming that he isn't really the president because he's not a natural born citizen, and calling for the deaths of all liberals because they're all 'traitors'.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Given the state of American vs. European healthcare, I'm really surprised by the map of Europe.

The US population is generally more spread out, notice that the major outbreaks are in towns and more populated areas. Meanwhile in the rural ones, outbreaks are much rarer. Europe is much denser in population, allowing unvaccinated measles cases to run rampant.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

There are some conspiracy theories out there that do reflect a mental disorder -- gangstalking is pretty clearly a reflection of paranoid schizophrenia -- but I think you're mistaken to call conspiracism a psychosis. I'm not aware of any evidence that conspiracy theorists are "delusional" or show signs of "psychosis." Everything I've read indicates that conspiracy theorists are by and large rational, yet they believe in seemingly crazy things.

I don't know. Its said that our brains aren't too happy with things being utterly random, with the idea that we are completely out of control of life, that X happened for a reason, and its part of a grand universal plan. Hence the proliferation of religion and belief in gods. It wasn't that your uncle randomly got struck by lightning in a poultry butchery because sometimes life just shits in your cornflakes, it was because god/an unknown entity/the universe had a plan and that plan required your uncle to be flashfried and accidentally served at KFC.

Its something everyone's brain tries to do. Maybe its just a version of sour grapes. "My girlfriend dumped me...maybe it was just meant to be that way". I could totally see the part of your brain that senses patterns getting its chocolate in the peanut butter that is the part of your brain that tries to see a 'story line' or 'cause and effect' to your life instead of just accepting that sometimes life just takes a poo poo on you, and thereby giving someone the brain chemistry to be much more likely to believe in conspiracy theories, such as the lizardmen.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

So I encountered this graphic recently:

Is this a thing? It seems like the image is trying to suggest that a beam fell on a building nearby therefore conspiracy?

And the person who posted that image just keeps linking to this site over and over whenever I ask anything about it: http://www.ae911truth.org/

What the gently caress

They're claiming the only way a beam could have hit the building is if a bomb went off, flinging it at the building.

The building collapsing? Impossible, even though the building went to one side and the beam clearly struck it at a higher angle and slid down, since it sheered off part of the wall.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Miss-Bomarc posted:

My father-in-law is exactly this sort of person. He figures that if you can't immediately slap down a fully-detailed study with extensive sources showing that what he said was wrong, then he's right--and even if you did somehow have such a study, then clearly they're funded by Monsanto or Al Gore or the Israelis or whoever and so the study's fake.

Show him this website, and hopefully enlighten him unto the logical fallacy known as Burden of Proof.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

They're about to get killed by the government as part of the coverup so they are about to die! :downs:

So why wouldn't they tell them "IT'S A COVERUP! ITS ALL FAKE!" You've got nothing left to lose.

This is why a subset of truthers believe that they used advanced computer software to mimic their voices. Only problem being that they had no ability to hold an actual conversation with it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Grouchy Smurf posted:

I do feel that we need to separate this one into two categories:
On one hand, we have the retards gentlemen who believe that it is created by the "government" as a way to control our lives bla bla bla.
On the other, a great number of people do believe that the global warming is true, but they are sceptic as to the amount of influence Mankind's actions have on it.

I can't say that I completely agree with the second group, but they behave rationally.

Lets not forget the people who don't care about global warming because after all if the world ends or humanity can't survive anymore then jesus has to come back. Hell, there are probably people who want global warming to continue because that might be how you summon him.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Ah yes. The futuristic idea of running everything on nuclear power. All the joys of a nuclear power plant melt down in the palm of your hand. Don't worry about condoms you lovebirds, just do it in the back seat, it'll make Timmy's balls shoot blanks.

I'm fine with using nuclear power plants but considering how many loving idiots get behind the wheel of a vehicle that is quite literally powered by explosions and end up utterly destroying the vehicle, I'd really rather not have a fender bender potentially result in all parties suffering from radiation poisoning.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

Putting visible symbols everywhere and leaving clues that can be followed increases the power of the main conspiracy through sympathetic magic.

This is sort of what gets me. Conspiracies I can somewhat understand. The human mind is built to find patterns even when none exist, it's pretty much how we've built up from cavemen hunting wooly mammoths. Find a pattern and exploit it to better oneself.

But magic. They are apparently doing this all via magic. Sympathetic magic.

How does that work again? Or are they claiming the conspirators just believe in this magic, even if there is no magic whatsoever? In which case how would they be any good at conspiracies if they believe in, of all loving things, magic?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Yarbald posted:

I just saw this on Facebook.

God dammit. Just last week I was thinking how weird it was that I hadn't heard any conspiracies regarding the Titanic.

I gotta love how they didn't say 'drowned', they say 'killed', as if to imply that they were totally going to escape but then an illuminati ninja appeared out of loving nowhere and stabbed them in the kidneys.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So my local transit company, who have allowed christian ads on buses and anti-abortion ads but didn't allow a humanist group from advertising they exist because it was potentially offensive and controversial is allowing a bunch of WTC tower 7 conspiracy ads on buses. I have no idea why a group in Canada has the money or interest to do this, but someone is paying thousands for loving 9/11 conspiracy bus ads and the bus company is standing by "freedom of speech"

Canadians have a habit of hating America, not entirely unjustified mind. Its not entirely surprising that they'd be fine with spreading 9/11 bullshit.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I just remembered, there was an awesome video called 'screw loose change', that took all the data the latest version of loose change had and proved how they were making poo poo up, editing video, or outright lying about information, even had a digitally done reconstruction of the plane hitting the Pentagon pointing out all of the damage done being consistent with a plane and jet engines, like the clipped generating having a rounded gouge knocked out of it due to the jet engine. I cannot find it for the sake of my life now however.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Grouchy Smurf posted:

Snowden did something that 95% of us would do. This doesn't mean that 95% of the readers in this thread are heroes. Snowden moved to the other half the planet, probably sold some secret information, then made disturbing information pubic and moved to safe country to live the rest of his life. He took a set of actions that arguably improved his life compared to what it was before (assuming he got paid).

You're making your entire argument based on an admitted assumption, therefore the entire goddamned thing is invalid.

How about Snowden's friends and family? Do you think he was thinking about how running to the loving other side of the world without any ability to ever see or speak to them ever again would be an improvement to his life?

He's going to be hunted for the rest of his loving life. He is not going to be able to go to sleep without keeping one eye open, he probably can't even go out in public anymore because if someone recognizes him, he's in danger.

His life here in America, is over. He can never see, never speak, never interact with his friends or family, ever again. He knew that if he did this, they'd never stop hunting him, they'd never stop trying to kill him to shut him up.

Do you understand what 'Asylum' really means? It doesn't mean you're sitting somewhere living the high life, it means you're in hiding. The more attention you draw to yourself, the more likely you'll end up getting made and ended up shot. Buying things with a lot of money, or living the big life generally means drawing attention to yourself. Snowden is probably living in a hole in the ground, the only 'luxury' he has being a computer with an internet feed.

I respect Manning, I think she is a loving hero and she shouldn't be behind bars. However you're being completely illogical by saying that since Edward Snowden didn't sit there and wait for someone to put a bullet in his head, he's less heroic.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Section 31 posted:

Russia Today is bastion of truth.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/18/another-russia-today-reporter-resigns-every-single-day-were-lying-and-finding-sexier-ways-to-do-it/

Indeed.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I prefer the styling of an artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urglg3WimHA

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Sir Tonk posted:

I bought a Mac so I don't have to worry about viruses :smug:

Just planned obsolescence the likes of which makes Microsoft drool.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

blowfish posted:

are teapartycommunity and/or reaganbook still open and trollable?

https://www.teapartycommunity.com/

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

blowfish posted:

If you have to ask, the answer is yes. There are people who think Stargate the movie/TV series is a coverup for Stargate the actual intergalactic military programme.

And for the best meta example of this, there was literally an episode about a show that looked *like* the stargate program with O'Neil as the Air Force representative and it was a goofy as poo poo parody of the show's own silly decisions. The reason it was allowed was. . .as a coverup for the Stargate program.

So people who think the show is a coverup watched the show that has them using a silly ridiculous parody show as a coverup and lack so much self awareness that they can't see how much the makers are mocking them. :v:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Helen Highwater posted:

I realise that when we're talking about 'evidence' for something as far out as this, there aren't exactly going to be peer researched papers in Nature or something, but what specifically leads people to settle on 4th dimensional reptilian aliens as an antagonist rather than something more mundane and credible. Where is the evidence for aliens specifically rather than say, "it's all Masons|Jews|Bilderbergers|etc"?

At the same time, you have to ask 'what leads people to believe a red skinned man with horns and a pitchfork is the cause of all evil and suffering on earth'. That's the kind of 'proof' required. Speculations and imagination quickly become 'iron clad proof' and 'This totally happened'. Conspiracy theorists and religious fanatics have a lot more in common than you'd think. Absence of evidence becomes evidence to them. Any 'evidence' that shows up, that could even *hint* at their claims being true is heralded as the sole truth, and everything else around it is discarded as 'falsified'. Much like how Religious nuts believe that god is both forever loving, and yet will condemn your sorry rear end to hell because gently caress you, and never have a twinge of cognitive dissonance between the two utterly opposing stances, conspiracy theorists believe that they know the truth, that they've 'taken the red pill'. They know who the puppet masters are, the ones who control everything and are so intelligent and smart that they can never be toppled. How do they know about them? because those superintelligent puppetmasters are loving stupid and leave clues all over the place.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

The Chairman posted:

3) That's irrelevant because you can't fly a plane on a oblate spheroid, you'd just fly out into space if you tried to fly level

Gravity.

Graaaavity. Gravity is a sphereish field that keeps us pulled towards the center of it. And surprise, we ca't break gravity without the use of something like rockets because once we get high enough up, jet engines don't work because they're meant for atmosphere and oxygen.

Taking that and turning it around: If the world is flat why haven't we flown off of it with an airplane? Or is this one of those video game things where if you go off the screen you appear on the other side? And also: What is the end game of lying and saying the world is round? What does anyone get out of that?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Mr Jaunts posted:

A cruise for conspiracy theorists sounds like it could be the basis for a great Christopher Guest style mockumentary

Or a murder mystery video game where everyone is a suspect, and everyone is also a lizardperson.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

olin posted:

A huge part of the 9/11 truth movement is that the 3 buildings were brought down in a controlled demolition. What I'm wondering is why would they do this? Why demolish the buildings? Why not just have planes fly into the towers and let the fire in WTC 7 do whatever damage it does? Why publicly demolish these buildings? What purpose does it serve?

As an adjustment to that: 9/11 could have been accomplished with almost 0% of the potential for everything to go tits up, and yet they chose the one that just happens to require the government bribes 90% of the loving world to do so.

Why not just put bombs all over the country? Seed them in a few key locations. And then blow them up. You suddenly have nationwide panic as a 'bombing spree' takes place. Requires only a few operatives be in the know. Hell, you could even have the government heroically save a few bomb sites they learned of just in the nick of time. Add in a captive person of whatever country you decide and boom, you've suddenly got that nationwide mandate.

Why do something that could be so totally thrown off if even ONE little thing was off by fractions of inches or seconds? I've yet to get an answer from truthers that don't delve into 'but you see they had cast the spell to do it by putting a bunch of hints towards it in the simpsons'

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Masonity posted:

Why do I, a man with no tattoos or piercings (or, indeed, Skinhead/Nazi sympathies) at all, have a sudden urge to get Thor's Hammer tattooed to my Penis with "Only those who are worthy may lift Mjolnir" above it?

That's the little idiot that lives in the back of our heads. Don't listen to him, he's an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Quift posted:

Given that I live in a barbaric culture that forces school-children to take amphetamines in order to indoctrinate them I'm quite certain that the future will judge the "progress of our science" quite harshly.

:getout:

• Locked thread