Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

There's something ironic about seeing citizens watching US soldiers on Jade Helm 15 exercises and their trucks having SUPPORT ARE TROOPS stickers.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/civilians-begin-shadowing-jade-helm-war-exercise-in-texas/ar-AAd1DVk#image=3

I also love the weasel wording of these guys "We are not crazies who think the government is going to declare martial law, we just think the government is up to something evil."

I'd be cool with Jade Helm conquering Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How does Alex Jones feel about being the living embodiment of what's wrong with humans?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I like how "You don't hear about Jade Helm 15 anymore, and you wonder what they were distracting you from" are already popping up. Yea, no one was ever talking about Jade Helm other than nutcases like you guys.

I'm kinda disappointed Jade Helm turned out to be nothing, honestly. I was really wanting to see poo poo like rednecks trying to fly drones over training exercises.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apparently since the invention of the internet, the number of people who believe in a JFK conspiracy theory has actually increased. Increase in available information hasn't magically made us smarter. It just gives people willingly to believe in conspiracy theories more "evidence" to cherry pick and more crazies room to talk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

So, the implication is everything you do on your computer with windows 10 is being logged and stored by MS for....reasons?

And some features can't be turned off! Or they can be turned off, but automatically turn themselves back on later (likely without telling you).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

I've been saying that for a while, yo. While the CIA didn't "create" the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan, they did give them massive funding and training. You've got pictures of Mujahadeen fighters with Ronald Reagan, for Christ's sake. The Mujahadeen evolves into the Taliban, which provides material support to Al Qaeda and, boom, 9/11. Then we see the same thing happen in Syria. The CIA didn't "create" ISIS, but it did provide massive funding and training to radical anti-Assad resistance groups. You've got pictures of McCain with ISIS members (then noble anti-Assad resistance fighters), for Christ's sake. Then ISIS balloons and . . . . ?????

It's a pattern we've seen time and time again. poo poo like this used to happen all the time in S. America. Hell, even recently -- the attempted ouster of Chavez had significant CIA support. Given the CIA's history of choosing loving psychopaths to support, at this point it would be naive to think that it isn't on purpose. The only question that remains is how much control do they still have in these organizations? Do they just choose the most violent group they can find, back them with training and money and then let them go to town? Or do they still have some input as to what the leadership in these groups wants?

Either way, it plays into things like PNAC and the NeoCon project in general.

And that's without factoring in things like the crazy regional destabilization that happened with the way the Iraq War was executed, to say nothing of other US projects in the region such as supporting the Israeli Apartheid State and propping up the decadent Saudi Regime. What other options do freedom-minded Muslims have? Iran? They are too foreign, not Arab and the wrong kind of Muslim. So it needs to be something else. So you have optimistic but naive Muslims (note: it's mostly really young men joining ISIS -- it's like a Middle Eastern Ron Paul) joining ISIS to fight for their freedom but more seasoned, jaded people see ISIS for what it is: just another CIA project designed to justify additional American intervention in the region.

Have you ever considered that the CIA is just incompetent enough to keep supporting groups for accomplishing short-term goals and deciding that they'll deal with any political fallout if they go rogue later?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I've not had a lot of experience or interaction with mental illness or the conspiracy crowd so I'm not always fully understanding the physchology behind it all. Where does one draw the line between just being a conspiracy theorist and being mentally ill? Are mental illness diagnosis always based on something more than symptoms, or could a "normal" person who gets sucked into the world of conspiracy theories become mentally ill? Basically where's the clinical line between "believing stupid poo poo because you're stupid and have awful politics" and "mental illness" or is it even that cut and dry?

Being a conspiracy theorist and being mentally ill aren't necessarily two opposing sides of a line. They're two things that just happen to go hand-in-hand sometimes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pillowpants posted:

So I have a political Facebook group(two actually)and I asked what people would have done differently after 9/11, expecting responses about foreign policy differences after the attacks, but 3 people came out as truthers.

Does the thread have any good resources for debunking the idea that BUILDING 7 was a controlled demolition and that a missile hit the pentagon.

This page goes into a lot of detail on 9/11 conspiracy theories and the bottom of the page has a ton of their citations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Smoothrich posted:

James Cameron is actually developing a movie about a guy who survived being nuked at both Hiroshima and Nagasaki which sounds hilarious.

Almost as good as the result of Michael Bay directing it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Would this be covered under pareidolia or is there a better term for it? It's pretty common for people to have a sorta-twin out there.

The common number given is that there's on average 7 people out there who (by complete chance) look identical or almost identical to you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Man, why do the scum of the earth keep trying to rope in Sanders?
http://i.imgur.com/gqCPLDg.jpg

Why are Ron Paulites moving to him so willingly? I'm sure they'd be dismayed that unlike Paul, he's not a straight up White Supremacist, or a theocrat, or even an Libertarian.

Why is a guy with a Pepe profile picture supporting McCarthy?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I discovered the guy from Statist Idiot of the Day, is American Born Korean and believe that because he's a minority, he cannot be racist.

There's actually been an effort to redefine racism to mean "Power + prejudice", so that one can be bigoted without being racist. It seems more like an effort to allow for minorities in the United States (because this seems to be where the definition is most popular) to display extremely bigoted behavior against whites and legitimately claim that they're not actually racist.

I've also seen detailed sociological explanations of why it's okay for someone to say things like "All white people should just die" because it's just venting you guys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Octatonic posted:

Source your quotes

http://www.clarke.edu/media/files/Multicultural_Student_Services/definitionsofracism.pdf

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sharkie posted:

How threatened do you feel when you see black people saying "kill whitey"?

I never said I felt threatened. I just think that if you respond to being called out on assholish behavior by explaining the sociological phenomenon that causes you to express your rage against a biased system, you're still an rear end in a top hat trying to defend being an rear end in a top hat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

ah yes, only assholes explain things

I reiterate: if you think that explaining the socioeconomic disparity in the United States and how it affects your behavior excuses you from being an rear end in a top hat, it doesn't. It just makes you an rear end in a top hat who's really good at explaining why you're an rear end in a top hat. I mean, you'd probably get that if you actually read my post instead of saying this non-sequitur.

quote:

actual racism requires power to act on systemic racial prejudice

But it doesn't. That's appropriating an already existing term and changing its definition arbitrarily.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

I'd rather live around assholes than big whiney babies who care about their hurt feelings more than learning about the world and other people.

This might surprise you, but acting like a jerk intentionally isn't as cool as LiveJournal might make it out to be.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sharkie posted:

But I don't think "bigoted behavior against whites" is a serious problem our society needs to address.

I never said that either. I called it assholish and something that shouldn't be given a pass, but I hardly started yelling about "who the real racists are." Exactly what are you trying to prove, or trying to get me to admit to?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A crane near a mosque in Mecca collapsed today and killed a bunch of people. Who's ready for conspiracy theories about that mixed in with the racist celebrations of people's deaths?

This has some actual significance to me, as I work for a company that trains people who operate and inspect poo poo like cranes. We've done a ton of jobs in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE, etc. Makes me wonder if that operator and his buddies had any connection to the people we trained.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

I know you're joking but the thing I find tragicomical is that the Titanic would have probably survived if it had just rammed the motherfucker. The front was designed to handle mild collisions, but their lovely turn meant the side of the ship was what hit the 'berg and that was made of thinner metal which wasn't in a triangular shape (like the front, as the triangle is structurally better for pressure) which allowed it to rupture.

Basically, the Titanic lost a game of chicken with a block of ice, and so a lot of its passengers lost their lives.

Also I believe the Titanic scraping across the iceberg instead of a direct hit served to pop a ton of rivets.

There's a Titanic museum on I-Drive in Orlando that I went too in like, 2012. They serve to not only explain life aboard the ship and how it was built (including replicas of rooms and tons of artifacts), but also dispel a lot of myths and explain things that aren't known to the general public. Like the boilers started venting steam, which meant that the ship spent some time sounding like the world's biggest tea kettle whistling.

And since women and children were loaded on lifeboats first, some were seen demanding their men hand over their wallets first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Under the vegetable posted:

the holy mountain kicks rear end tho

Agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bNqBjKrQI

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucxPMIoUjAc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This person's clearly never seen anyone be shot before. The lack of visible casings and visible flash can be attributed to the camera's quality and frame rate and the lighting of the area differing, and the recoil due to different handling and ammunition increasing recoil for the one on the left. But for the "lack of impact", you really don't see a visible impact from bullet wounds most of the time. The idea of blood spraying and holes exploding in people is a Hollywood myth from squibs. It actually takes a short time for a wound to start bleeding (unless a surface blood vessel is hit) and the hole in their clothing isn't going to be even half an inch wide, so you normally just see their clothing flutter a bit at the most and then blood begins to spread under the shirt or pool on the ground below them. With adrenaline and the general durability of the human body as well, it's not at all uncommon for mortally wounded people to run as far as 100 yards before suddenly collapsing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KomradeX posted:

I'm never forget from All Quiet on the Western Front a part where a guy gets the back of his head blown off and had a conversation with the protagonist til they get him to an aid station where he dies cause the shock and everything else had finally worn off.

Terrifyingly, there are multiple stories from wars dating back ages of people with gratuitous head wounds surviving long enough to talk to someone. The Boys of '67 had an incident where a Viet Cong sniper shot an American soldier through the head, and he was actually coherent enough to ask "Am I going to make it?"

The last thing he ever heard was "No, son. You're not."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Moose-Alini posted:

It might just be the angle but it looks like he probably missed the first couple shots so not weird you wouldn't see anything. And unless you hit someone in the heart or brain, they probably gonna be able to run after getting shot, especially from such a small bullet, probably wouldn't even notice for a few seconds.

In the full video he spends nearly a full minute aiming the gun at her on camera, and they've got such tunnel vision from reporting that they don't notice the gun until he starts firing. I'm 99% sure he hit and there's just no way to see the impacts because there's no Hollywood squibs exploding blood packs under her jacket.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I was on a jury for an attempted murder trial, and the defendant was accused of* firing all 6 shots in his revolver at the victim (we had a surveillance video from multiple angles showing every shot). The victim was hit by one, but it would have been nearly impossible to tel which one if it hadn't been explained to us in the trial. The victim was hit in the leg and instantly bolted off into the store, so unless the little bits of blood were pointed out in the video it would have been really hard to tell that the first shot was the one that hit him and that he wasn't just running because this dude fired a gun at him.

*He almost certainly did it, but I was chosen as an alternate immediately before deliberations so I don't know how things turned out. Based on what I heard during the trial, I would have gone with attempted second degree murder (the prosecution was aiming for first degree, but there was zero evidence for premeditation of any sort).

The key part to take away from real violence is that it looks nothing like Hollywood violence, but the majority of people don't know anything beyond the Hollywood depiction. You expect gunshots to have a physical impact to them, throwing people backwards or spinning them around, and with blood exploding out from the wound. People falling from gunfire in movies and TV always looks like someone intentionally throwing themselves or collapsing, rather than spontaneously falling over. When someone really gets shot in the head and killed instantly, they don't fall back with their arms flying out and one arm out behind their back to brace the fall. Their legs just crumple under them like someone flipped a switch and they take the shortest vertical path to the ground.

And unfortunately, this lack of understanding makes conspiracy theories so much easier to believe. If violence and destruction don't look like the only violence and destruction you've seen clearly depicted in front of you, you start to wonder if it's real.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Caconym posted:

I dunno about acute toxicity.

I read some reviews, but it's been a while and I'm phoneposting so here it is by memory:
In areas of rural China with very high natural levels of flouride, to the extent that a lot of the population had chronic flourosis (brown teeth), average IQ was down 1 point from control. So if you drink water with several times the western threshold level of flouride your whole life you'll be slighly less smart.

Is 1 point of IQ even a big enough change to be statistically noticeable? I thought IQ was a bit of a fudge anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zombie Boat posted:

Hey guys I don't know if this lady is popular in the conspiracy world but someone just showed me this "blog" and I'm enjoying it. She's got lizard guys, mkx ultra, the whole lot. Without further ado, I give you Francine Kelly!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/535171

Mods if this breaks rules or anything I'll remove it.

That first link is gold.

quote:

I am being demonically attacked by Reptilian Draconian Vampires at 3001 Thelma Street at East 21st Avenue in East Tampa, Florida. The attacks are in the forms of verbal abuse incited by demons who possess the vampires, and rash-like abrasions under my breasts which are commonly caused by shapeshifters.

I asked Shelia L. Mack, the owner of the house, to give me my money back. Shelia told me to get the money back from the government agencies for whom I work. Shelia's number is (blanked out for quote).

I asked Shelia for a receipt a few times. She told me she had given me one. I told her that she had not. She ignored my statement, and said she would give me another one. She has failed to do so.

Because the room I had rented was not yet available, Greg, who I believe is a demonically possessed Reptilian Draconian Vampire, said I could stay in his room the night of November 5, 2015. He said that he was going to stay with a girlfriend. He later told me that the girlfriend didn't want him to stay with her after all, so he would have to sleep on the floor of his room while I slept in his bed. He started to rub my back and I told him not to touch me. Charlene also told him to stop touching me.

A Community Service Officer at the Tampa Police Department later told me that I could have called 911 after Greg touched me. Instead of suggesting that I stay in one of several houses that she owns, which is around the corner at 3007 North 22nd Street, Shelia appeared to be invested in my staying in Greg's room. I eventually did stay that first night in Shelia's house around the corner.

I was told by a Community Service Officer that the police wouldn't come to the house because I was terrified of Greg, and because he was calling me a bitch and a liar and was yelling at me. He called me a liar after I showed him my forum. My guess is that he didn't want to be exposed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

Also Jesus' actual name in his native language was essentially Joshua (Yeshua), Jesus just being a several layers deep re-transliteration. So the savior of mankind is a guy named Josh.

A post I saw before goes one further. "Christ" means "Anointed." Really, a modern translation for Jesus Christ should be Oily Josh.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

As to why people who actually can tell faces apart sign on? Maybe they're just so deep into conspiracist poo poo to begin with that they'll accept anything as true if the government says it ain't.

If you're told so, you'll believe so. They get told "Look, they're identical! They have the same ears!" And that conditions them to believe that they're the same person. Any lack of similarity can be explained away as makeup, lighting, camera angles, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well maybe I do have some face blindness issues but the women in the pictures do look similar enough that I'd believe they could be the same woman. But then I also realize that, with 7 billion people in the world, it's highly likely that they're just women that look similar.

Even so after looking closer they have different colored hair that they part in different places and I see differences in the nose. Of course that leads to "well she just gets plastic surgery between each crisis!"

Crisis actor plots require the person to already be willing to believe that in the first place. Once that's believed, any similarities are proof (look at the videos that try to compare exact ear shapes or the placement of freckles) and any lack of similarity can be brushed off as makeup, plastic surgery, or the camera.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The thing is, there are conspiracies. Stuff that conspiracy theorists want to believe in (like manipulation of governments and blaming other nations for stuff they didn't do, or false flag attacks) happens all the time, and is fairly well-documented. The problem is that real conspiracies tend to be pretty boring unless you get someone to jazz it up in an article and a lot of them fall apart and get exposed. Watergate is a conspiracy theorist's wet dream, but it was blown wide open in fairly short order and reading about it is mostly a trail of "And then this reporter/agent found strange banking activity trying to take advantage of obscure laws that made them suspicious." You can try as hard as you can to make Watergate sound like an exciting action movie, but the fact of the matter is that most of it was just old white guys reading papers in their offices and meeting with informants. The second Gulf of Tonkin incident was blown out of proportion and had details covered up to turn a false alarm into a North Vietnamese attack on an American vessel as an excuse to start blowing up North Vietnam.

But none of the real conspiracies are clear-cut stuff that looks like it came out of a movie. Instead of a room full of men in perpetual shadow deciding on how best to take over the world, it's stuff like details being left out of a report or fake details added in to provide an easy excuse to push legislation through, or concealing bombings from Congressional oversight. It's not exciting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other thing is that actual, real world conspiracies aren't nearly as nasty as they are in fiction. The super, extremely competent people playing 11th dimensional chess and repeatedly saying "just as planned" don't really exist. Actual conspiracies are must smaller, probably not planned very well, and usually exist to answer the question "how do I get more money?"

Like Gulf of Tonkin was a conspiracy in some ways, as it was all about exploiting a situation with limited facts to create a narrative that best justified upping the scale of conflict in Vietnam. But as far as we know, none of it was actually planned. The people responsible just got a report that was really easy to distort and went with the flow.

Watergate is the best example of how real American political conspiracies go: someone fucks up and gets caught actually working for the conspiracy, Nixon's government goes "Oh poo poo" and decides to try and hassle the investigation to keep their connections hidden instead of doing the smart thing and hanging the burglars out to dry, and that creates a paper trail and one very willing informant that provides the avenue to blow it wide open. Most conspiracies are really obvious and there's just little to no legal avenue toward reparations, whether due to corruption or loopholes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

At least there's only a bit over a thousand of them, I guess.

Good to know our country only has a population of 45,630.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SedanChair posted:

An AK isn't going to gently caress up a Hind or something but it can definitely cause problems.

Most aircraft can get some kind of hosed up from rifle fire. We're not exactly in World War II any more, but most aircraft are surprisingly thin-skinned and have fragile parts (like engine turbines) exposed and easy to damage on the outside. Even just having a damaged turbine blade fragment and ping through the rest of the engine at high speed can completely kill the plane and send it to the ground.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

And the chances of Johnny Militia doing that with his single AK while the planes fly 3 miles overhead ain't exactly high.

Yeah, I'm just saying that it's not exactly a "wet towel" comparison. Aircraft are actually extremely vulnerable to damage and have to rely on their speed and distance from attackers to avoid being hit. Helicopters are especially vulnerable since they tend to fly so low and slow by comparison, and Vietnam saw a ton of damage and injuries/deaths from small arms fire to Hueys.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SedanChair posted:

I'd argue (just because this is a fun derail) that rail and telegraph are almost incomprehensible leaps and all modern transport and telecommunications are only progressive developments of these fundamental revolutions. There's a much bigger difference between "get the news in a month" and "get it the same day" than there is between "get it the same day" and "get it in your pocket."

Well, even the current speed of news is changing the perception of society and entertainment. You no longer need to wait for a newspaper to get printed, as you get live updates as any issue around the world happens. This is already believed to be a big factor in determining the success or failure of major films, as news of a movie's quality spreads faster than the sun goes around to change the time of day so the West Coast gets its premier. If a movie is lovely, news can spread before places in later time zones (to say nothing of other nations) have their opening night.

This technology is also what allowed "social media" to even exist as a thing, and it's been a hassle for governments and intelligence services to deal with when everyone is used to enemies that use telephones and emails.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fishmech posted:

People got some pretty loose ideas of a dystopia these days.

"I have to watch ads! DYSTOPIA!!!!!!!"

Well, also stuff like rampant police abuse and murder in a first world nation, the NSA's spying on everyone, economic difficulties, heavy corporate influence of the government, etc.

It's just that everyone expected a dystopia to be smog-filled skies, Metrocops in gas masks lining up apartment blocks against the wall to shoot, and surveillance drones flying around. It creeps up a lot slower than that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Helsing posted:

This "gangstalking" concept sounds really insidious for someone with mental illness because it seemingly tells you that your growing isolation and inability to relate to employers, landlords, government officials, etc. is all thanks to a vast conspiracy:

I have a mentally unwell -- but basically functional -- friend who is both convinced of his own significance (major international corporations apparently change their product and marketing decisions in response to his behaviors) and occasionally displays paranoid thought patterns ("the government is tracking me and giving my information to people who don't like me") and I can just imagine the kind of damage that the idea of gangstalking could do to his psyche if he came across it at the wrong moment and it "clicked" for him.

I wonder if there have been any sustained studies of how internet communities have changed the face of mental illness and its treatment. There have been crazy conspiracy books and radio call in shows for a long time but I feel as though the interactivity and community oriented nature of internet forums and blogs might make them particularly dangerous.

I think my favorite part is this:

quote:

Individuals can be flagged designating them as having a history of aggressive or inappropriate behavior. This notification system will follow the target if they move, change jobs, visit other areas. It let’s the community believe that the target is a person who needs to be watched or monitored

It even provides a way to justify everyone being really cautious and suspicious around someone known for being crazy aggressive!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skellybones posted:

Wouldn't that just be regular stalking? Isn't that a crime?

A private investigator working legally or under the supervision of an attorney is specifically excluded from stalking, and Scientology prides itself on using its lawyers to gently caress over people. As long as the PIs don't commit other crimes (like burglary or wiretapping or violating a court order prohibiting them from approaching the person they're investigating), they're protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the reasons for the "controlled demolition" justification is that the Empire State Building was hit by a plane in the 1930s and was at basically no risk of collapse. Therefore, planes can't knock down buildings! This is, of course, ignoring that the Empire State Building and World Trade Center towers were built in entirely different methods and the World Trade Center was much "flimsier" when it came to massive structural damage and intense heat.

Another is the theory that it was an insurance scam: Larry Silverstein took out insurance on the towers a year earlier that covered terrorist attacks, and received $4.6 billion in compensation for 9/11. What the conspiracy ignores is that the actual value of the towers was significantly higher and the insurance contracts were incomplete, resulting in a lot of legal arguments to even get that level of payout. A similar argument is that the buildings were full of asbestos and Silverstein was clued in on the demolition plot beforehand, so he jumped on the opportunity for cheap and easy asbestos removal!

• Locked thread