Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Looks like a photo album to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are there any possible rebuttals to the HAARP array / microwave beam bullshit being touted about Typhoon Yolanda / Haiyan? I've been trying to counter with how this comes up every single time a disaster happens like the Japan earthquake or the Indian Ocean tsunami

I usually just throw more conspiracies in there.
FACT: Flouride, even in tiny does, is lethal to Reptoids.
FACT: Reptoid nagvigation systems require ionsospheric transmission, which HAARP is constantly jamming.

What's the REAL reason you don't like HAARP? Why do you only drink distilled water?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I usually just start asking if they know a single doctor who offers microchipping. I know that you're up in arms against it but I don't think I feel like fighting this battle.

How much does it cost to get chipped? Can I buy a chip reader to see my own data? What's the deadline on this? Can I get a discount for financial hardship?

I'm gonna be pissed if I get shipped to a FEMA camp for non-compliance with the chip laws, I don't have an arsenal like you do so I actually have to worry.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

duck monster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmXEThTtwaM

I got a laugh out of this. As usual, the punchline is the headline.

You're missing out if you haven't seen his website too.
https://www.nasa-revealed.com

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm thinking the approach you'd have to take to help a loved one who is caught up in conspiracy theories is close to what you'd have to do if they joined a cult.

I'm guessing the psychology is pretty similar, people feel powerless and confused about the world around them and then someone gives them access to secret truths. That secret truth helps them feel like they understand and have control.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How do you explain these articles then?
November 22, 1963

Area Man Can Remember Exactly Where He Was, What He Was Doing

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My favorite CIA conspiracy is that they invested millions into "Modern Art."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheQat posted:

Senate "Intelligence" Committee Benghazi report just dropped: http://mojo.ly/1dvI09A

the "additional views" near the end are authored by a bunch of far-right nutcases. anyone know how much of the conspiracy poop this thing touches? I haven't been keeping up enough

Thanks for posting this, I'm reading it right now.
They did a good job of organizing the events. I haven't been following too closely so it's nice to see exact times and exact counts of the security forces.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

twistedmentat posted:

Like serious, have they never heard "you gotta clean out the toilets, have fun!" or something else where someone acts like a tedious lovely task is fun?

Ohhh... I always assumed they were into corprophagy, your explanation makes way more sense.. or does it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Did the whole thing start when he lost some library books?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm now seeing an effort to claim that the guy who drove a car into the crowd was actually working for Soros.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/08/random-man-protests-interviewed-msnbc-ny-times-deep-state-shill-linked-george-soros/

gently caress these people.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I heard people arguing against a bike path that would connect to some community on the basis that it would increase crime.

And ever since then I've always had amazing mental images of criminals riding their bmx bikes straight through the windows of McMansions, doing a sick wheelie, grabbing an X-Box and doing some sort of 360 kickflip back out though a different window.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The core issue with conspiracy theories is coming to a conclusion first and working backwards to find evidence, and interpreting all information in a way to support that conclusion.

That's a hard nut to crack, these are the kinds of people who live through multiple end of the world predictions. It'll take more than Jones saying it's an act to sway them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
As someone said earlier, they see conspiracies because they need them to be true to have a single handle on the world around them.

If they know about the secret chemtrail conspiracy, then they have a secret advantage over everyone else, so when they get fired for being a weirdo creep they can blame the chemtrails, and when they get evicted they can blame the chemtrails.

It's a pretty vicious circle because these conspiracies just make your life worse when you delve into them, making it necessary to have new conspiracies to help explain all the bad poo poo that happened since you divorced yourself from reality.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Don't know about the part where he disabled alarms, and "aimed" is a bit of an exaggeration when the target is enormous, but other than that yes, you've got the story straight.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ctOS is from the video game Watch Dogs, so yeah it is.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

twistedmentat posted:

That's the Well Aware guy. He is legit crazy and insists everyone is actually a famous celeb. His evidence is a bunch of red lines going to facial features that don't match

Is that what this is referencing?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Sausages posted:

This guy must be fun at parties.

Flat-Earthers are what I compare holocaust deniers to, to give them an idea of how retarded they sound (not that there's any getting through the layers of delusion), incidentally the Nazis had all sorts of batshit crazy ideas about cosmology to the point that they diverted men and radar equipment from the war effort to try and prove the Hollow Earth hypothesis.

But think if they'd have been right. We'd still be dealing with dinosaur riding Nazis here and there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ashcans posted:

Do flat earthers ever explain the point of this multi-decade global conspiracy? If the world is flat, what does tricking everyone actually do?

There's good stuff outside the border of the surrounding poles.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think in one of the books written by Michael Shermer, he talked about one denier who started out more oriented around debunking some of the actual untrue rumors about the Holocaust, stuff like human skin lampshades, etc.

The thing is, the only people who bought his books or wanted him to come to events were white supremacists, and over time he gradually accommodated to meet the needs of his audience.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Skellybones posted:

What do you mean Nazi science was poor, the 'See what happens when you sew twins together', 'All celestial bodies are made of ice' and 'Let's look for Santa Claus and recruit him' projects were extremely well considered at the time.

Given that I know that there were equally crazy plans and everything else in your comment is a cold statement of fact, I'm not sure if your Santa Claus comment is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't really believe it, I am just saying it was the only conspiracy that made sense to me.

I think I get what you're saying. I think there's a difference between conspiracies that, if true, would mean that everything we think we know about how the world works is wrong, and the conspiracies that, if true, would be shocking but have no broader meaning.
I don't really believe that the FBI invented Crack Cocaine and intentionally spread it throughout inner cities, but if declassified files came out tomorrow showing that it happened, it wouldn't really be out of character.

If it turned out that one of the shots that hit JFK was accidental fire, it doesn't really change anything. It's reasonable that investigators might keep that secret with the consent of congress to keep the accidental shooter from getting lynched. That's the beginning and end of the conspiracy, not a chain of bigger and more shocking revelations.

• Locked thread