Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Trying to but one didn't respond and the other's Internet crashed or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

How much is left of the pigskin abuse because the playoff window closes in like four hours and it would be awesome to see how far we've come.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

There's still like 6 hours of football left but I'm in the mood for some hockey and will pop in shortly.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
For some reason the mics were not working. Couldn't even get into a drop in game because the servers were messing up. I don't think we got into a regular season game because if servers as well. Did that get fixed yet?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I've played games since so jump in and we will give it another go!

Krypttx
Jan 25, 2008
I AM LITERALLY INCAPABLE OF COMPREHENDING ALTRUISM
are you guys still playing

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

We haven't started yet but will any minute now.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would but I am away from home at the moment. Might be on later tonight though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Same, Ill be on in maybe an hour when I get home. Gotta crush some tiny mans to make up for missing Saturday because of stupid work.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

We're 3 right now while Cigar went for a food run. Come come!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm just starting out, so I'm rated 47. I guess I should level up a bit before I join you guys?
Let me know what I should work on. My player turns like a semi :(

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 23, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

So yeah, the reason our opponents become so much better isn't because we go from D10 to D9, it's just bad luck with matchmaking.

How do I know this?

Because I checked some of our earlier opponents and they're from several different divisions. That 420 team we beat 6-3 and outplayed in every single way? They're D7.

It's just EA matchmaking, again.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 23, 2013

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

I'm just starting out, so I'm rated 47. I guess I should level up a bit before I join you guys?
Let me know what I should work on. My player turns like a semi :(

Crossposting from the main NHL 14 thread:

The Rev posted:

Does anyone even really know what a stat does, not what people think/say it does? I mean, I usually put a healthy amount of points into strength because over the years I feel like it does something at bare minimum.

LONG POST INCOMING!

The stats I have always ignored (65 overall) no matter my build or playstyle are:

Aggression I might sometimes raise this to 70, it doesnt make hitting easier, or anything else useful that I have ever noticed.
Balance I've never put a single point into this, if my guy is big, he almost never goes down, if he is small, I just accept that I will be hit at some point, I still almost never get murdered more than 3-5 times a game.
Durability No point, why waste points?
Fighting Again, I win a healthy amount of fights already, I would rather spend my skills elsewhere.
Shot Blocking What does this even do? I already shot block manually by pressing L1, I lead my team in blocks, not sure why you need points in this.

The Stats I always invested heavily into are:

Speed Self explanatory, keep it in line with Acceleration and Endurance for best results.
Acceleration Self explanatory, keep it in line with Speed and Endurance for best results.
Agility Allows you to keep more momentum when turning, allows for sharper turns, you can cut much easier, just makes you quicker overall when not going in a straight line.
Endurance Always max this out, no excuses. It lets your player do everything better, for longer. You can turbo for longer, hit harder for longer, and shoot better for longer. You will blow by anyone by the 3rd period who did not invest into endurance.
Stick Check Not as good as it once was, still a must for Defense, and defensively minded forwards. Never poke check from behind or you will go to the box. Never Stick lift when face to face or you will go to the box. My rule of thumb is if you are parallel to the player, stick lift, otherwise poke check.
Body Check If you want to hit, this is your stat. Although, the bigger your guy height-wise, the less you need. Remember that hitting isnt everything, hit wisely, or end up in the box/giving up a breakaway.
Defensive Awareness and Offensive Awareness This can be useful, determines how your guy automatically responds to the puck, the higher it is the easier you will get rebounds/bat the puck in the air, break up passes (Def), also adds a slight auto aim to your shot(Off). This stat raises your overall like crazy, but stop caring about your overall, that's only to scare people into quitting in OTP. my 71 legend 3 skater would murder 82 overall legend 3's because overall means nothing.
Shot power and accuracy Wrist for forwards, slap for Dman. Not the end all be all, you still need to aim your shot, this just makes it easier.
Passing Maxed out, no excuses. You can make insane passes with high rating, it will go right through defenders sticks even if they are in perfect position, you can bank passes off the boards like it's nothing, and you can make stretch passes without even trying.
Discipline Removes elbowing penalties, lets you get away with a rare trip/slash/broken sticks, just keeps you out of the box more often if you play aggressive, wont save you from blatant penalties such as boarding, charging, or interference.
Strength This stat just seems to make you better at what you do if you play physical. Shots are a bit harder, hits are easier, you are more difficult to be steamrolled while in good position. This is half the reason I never put points into balance, with high strength, I don't fall over, so what good is balance?

The "Meh" Stats:

Hand Eye: I raise this up to about 85 if I plan to do a lot of one-timers from the point, or if I plan to sit in front of the net for deflections, otherwise it was never more than 70-75. You still need perfect position to tip pucks, this wont auto correct for you.
Deke: I try to stay away from this, as the better teams will be in your face hitting you/poking/stick lifting, making deke worthless, but it does work nicely when you manage to get the breakaway/penalty shot/1 on 1. My defenders always have 65-70, forwards 75-80. If all you ever play is OTP, you can probably cap it and score 5 goals a game on human goalies, 2-3 on cpu. I only use deke to fool the goalie and defender who goes for the big hit. You can more easily just skate around defenders who are human controlled than deking all over the place. Having lovely deke rating also encourages you to pass the puck to open teammates rather than try to do your best Pavel Datsuk impersonation (hint: you suck, pass the puck).
Puck Control: this has always been between 70-75 and I've never noticed my guy losing the puck easily. If you are good at skating around defenders, protecting the puck (pressing X on a ps3 controller / A on Xbox), and just knowing when to dump/pass the puck, you're not going to lose the puck, ever. You should be passing/dumping more than you do anyway.

Please feel free to correct me, this is what I have gathered from personal playing experience over 3 years of EASHL.

Man as fun as it is to play as a Power Forward wrecking dudes, it's really hard with low stats to get anyone lined up. I don't know how you do it Rut. I think I have to settle with playing a mobile DFD and playing as a 2-way agile Patrice Bergeron type C.

e: Just checked the club stats. Topped Rut in PIM. :getin:

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 23, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

My brother wanted to join up with the CSA(who have a new logo and new jerseys, by the way!) so we now got someone who can actually play center and is decent at faceoffs! His PSN is nFredriksson if ya seniors wanna add him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

It was asked a couple times over the last couple days how my guys have such high ratings despite never winning, so Im stealing and summing up Zip!'s amazing posts on how to do it quickly in Live The Life from the main thread:

1) Create a Center and set difficulty to rookie
2) Set periods to 5 mins and from the options tank all the AI stats while maxing the human ones (where applicable, dont max human injury chance :v:)
3) Start at the draft and play the Memorial Cup, get lots of points so you get drafted first overall
4) Sim first 2 periods, jump in and play the 3rd
5) Get a goal, an assist, crush a dude, and keep your ratings at A+, aim for the season expectations

Repeat a minimum of 50 times, you can sim the rest of the games, and then make sure you win the Cup in your first year for another unlock. A couple more unlock from playing a second season in the same manner. Overall a season takes a couple hours, and while it can get kind of boring, the boosts are why my EASHL dudes went from lumbering oafs to decent dudes that can now crush tiny mans and tiny pucks. :manning:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

It was asked a couple times over the last couple days how my guys have such high ratings despite never winning, so Im stealing and summing up Zip!'s amazing posts on how to do it quickly in Live The Life from the main thread:

1) Create a Center and set difficulty to rookie
2) Set periods to 5 mins and from the options tank all the AI stats while maxing the human ones (where applicable, dont max human injury chance :v:)
3) Start at the draft and play the Memorial Cup, get lots of points so you get drafted first overall
4) Sim first 2 periods, jump in and play the 3rd
5) Get a goal, an assist, crush a dude, and keep your ratings at A+, aim for the season expectations

Repeat a minimum of 50 times, you can sim the rest of the games, and then make sure you win the Cup in your first year for another unlock. A couple more unlock from playing a second season in the same manner. Overall a season takes a couple hours, and while it can get kind of boring, the boosts are why my EASHL dudes went from lumbering oafs to decent dudes that can now crush tiny mans and tiny pucks. :manning:

Note; doing this for the goaltender unlocks is loving horrible and not worth it.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Three consecutive games at drop-in where I posted a 90+ S%!

Up to Veteran 2 now, slowly getting to those superstar levels.

(it's veteran>allstar>superstar, right?)

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 23, 2013

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Actually it's right from vet to superstar, then legend. So you're even closer than you thought!

I played my first real, honest, not-letting-myself-bail-if-we-get-throttled OTP game as a goalie yesterday and put up an .893 or something with n overtime 4-3 victory. It was gratifying as hell to play behind a team of 65 OVRs against a team of 75 OVRs and not give up any lousy goals. Might just go ahead and buy the boost pack though because that seems unsustainable at 57 OVR and frankly my luck is not good enough to make up for the combination of my bad rating and bad skills for very long.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone going to be playing tonight around 5 cst?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

That's six eastern right? Cause if so I can probably play one or two.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Just had an awesome game as a goalkeeper. Started with going down 3-0 on three consecutive 3-0 breakaways where both of my D were behind their entire team. Immediatly I set into the mindset that it's just how this game is going to be but then the entire team quit at once.

Queue us(me and the AI) mounting a comeback where it's 3-3 after the first, 5-4 after the second(the AI let through their only 2-0 breakaway during the game leading to their lone goal) and 6-5 full time(their goal came when my game lagged so I didn't actually see it until after it happened).

Normally, those comebacks are fun if a bit degrading on the stats. However, what made this an awesome comeback is because once my team left I somehow got access to their voicechat so I heard their continious raging when they couldn't pierce the heavy-forechecking 1-3-1 trap and promtly spent most of the game shouting at eachother in german. Gotta love that shaudenfraude.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I may be on at 6 cst

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm going to pop on now if there's room - need the practice.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Some interesting games last night, except maybe for the very last one... I sure hope one of you saved some of our airborne hits, and hilarious goals, those were great. I need to play some more games, still only Veteran 2.

I'm not sure I will be on much, if at all tonight, we will see. Tomorrow I should be on later in the night if anyone is around then.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

It's playoff time ya lazy bum seniors, get ingame!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sorry, been a busy week at college. Spent all week cramming Pharmacology and P&A for my tests, but I should finally have some time to play again tonight around 5 EST. Ive earned it. :colbert:

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

Posting in thread as per Rutkowski PM!

Looking forward to having some fun this year, haven't really touched EASHL yet.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Alright, we're gathering the crew right now to play the first of hopefully many playoff games. Be there or be benched!

Kim Jaym Il
Dec 14, 2010

what? i
don't
have
fucking
ears

Also worth noting I'll mic up, but probably won't be able to talk much/at all for the remainder of the month.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Hey rut, can we get a screenie of your guys' jerseys? I'm curious, I don't remember even seeing them last year.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I'll give ya one later tonight. I did post one for the babydozers last year but we got an entirely new set now.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
There's no point me playing with you guys when I'm such a low level (even though playing with ya all is a blast). It's like playing all-star with an amateur player. Can't hold the puck if there's anyone within 15 feet of me, can't accept a pass/intercept the puck, and am basically a ragdoll out there (though I do draw a shitload of penalties). I'm only hindering you guys out there. I'll try to level up a bit more.

Edit - Thanks for the kind words. What really bothers me I cannot seem to avoid a check, as I'm so slow (hence why I seem to draw so many penalties), and I have to pass the puck almost as soon as I receive it, otherwise I'll get buried, or get it stolen off me, and give up a rush in the other direction. I'm hoping it's because my players attributes are so poor, and not me. I'll keep at it, and appreciate the feedback.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 28, 2013

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Dude you played great at wing. To be honest, you should stay there instead of in the forward position because you did a lot better there.

And none of us is especially high leveled. The highest skaters are at Pro(which isn't that high) and the highest overall is my goaltender at Superstar 1 but goaltender levels doesn't count.

Your biggest hindrance is the lack of mic but you have a good enough sense of the play to compensate for that.

Also, the reason me and nFredriksson mash so well is because we're, well, brothers and know eachother playstyles in and out.

EDIT: Jersey picture is coming up tomorrow because I forgot to take a picture before I went offline.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone going to be on tomorrow? Sunday about 300 cst?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Swamped with work. No hockey all weekend. :(

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I'll start some playoff games around 2PM EST as long as I get at least one other player.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

got on late last night and no one was on

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

got on late last night and no one was on

Yeah I had some stuff come up unexpectedly. I will be on tonight though about 5-6 CST.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

I sent messages to everyone who was on between 20 CET and 21:30 CET until I said gently caress it and went back to GTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

SilverSeven, really sorry about both of us leaving when you joined the dressing room but it's 1:40AM here and I need to sleep and Flaggy just finished his cooking during the game before.

• Locked thread