Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I've only played about 7-8 online HUT games, but I have to say every single one has been perfectly matched. They've all been close games, I've won some, lost some. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the matchmaking seems to be going real well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I've only played about 7-8 online HUT games, but I have to say every single one has been perfectly matched. They've all been close games, I've won some, lost some. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the matchmaking seems to be going real well for me.

I've won a single game, I've never been good but now it seems like i'm playing highschoolers against the blackhawks

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Is me or is the AI more retarded?
Well they didn't hype the AI this time which means it has probably gotten little bit worse. The AI can't fake any kind of awarness of situations. Using open ice, when to use speed or where to be on board play situations.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
AI is very different in single player vs online and having AI teammates. Hut is all about watching which player the opponent is controlling and treating the ai opponents as pylons since they are dumb as poo poo. Game has been out long enough now that everyone has figured out howto abuse the ai and games are no better or worse than nhl13 in my opinion.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Looks like someone's a bit mad about their server traffic tanking on Tuesday. They posted this to Facebook on Wednesday.

:lol:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
You can't play hockey in NHL 14 either.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Anyone who uses "celly" should be shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rutkowski posted:

Anyone who uses "celly" should be shot.

And those who forget that "a lot" is two words.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Giroux is a God in this game, his wrist shot is scary. Most of my online losses have been to the Flyers.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

Looks like someone's a bit mad about their server traffic tanking on Tuesday. They posted this to Facebook on Wednesday.

good thing for EA; the tennis minigame in GTA V is quite well done

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bradf0rd posted:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

hahahah i saw this on the facebook page!

Thomas Platinum
Aug 25, 2013
How steep is the learning curve for this game if I have next to no hockey experience?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Thomas Platinum posted:

How steep is the learning curve for this game if I have next to no hockey experience?

As in no hockey video game experience or absolutely no concept of the sport? No hockey video game experience is fine, my brother bought NHL 14 on a whim having not played the series (or practically any other video games) since about 2002 and picked it up pretty quickly.

As for zero experience with hockey, it's probably a good way to learn the rules and such, but it'll be frustrating for the first little bit as you start getting a hang of what icing, offsides and line changes are and where to shoot from on the ice.

I've known a few people who picked up a copy of the video game after watching a couple hockey games on TV and becoming diehard fans of the sport as a result, so it's not a terrible way to get into it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 19, 2013

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

I've known a few people who picked up a copy of the video game after watching a couple hockey games on TV and becoming diehard fans of the sport as a result, so it's not a terrible way to get into it.

Exactly what happened to me. Hockey fan (and player) thanks mostly due to this game, starting with around NHL 99 or so.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
tip from a not pro: Seriously, turn the auto shot aim off.. It will be 10 times harder when you have to switch to manual to do anything online, or on higher difficulties.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

All I wanted in this year's version was a better/smoother interface. Why does it dump me back to the main menu after I finish a drop-in game? :confused:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

mono posted:

All I wanted in this year's version was a better/smoother interface. Why does it dump me back to the main menu after I finish a drop-in game? :confused:

Or when editing your pro.. so annoying those two.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I'm apparently awful at allocating skill points in EASHL. I'm guessing there is no way to reset stat points eh? Does anyone have a good guide to building a power forward that can crush dudes and sometime score a dumb goal?

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Xtanstic posted:

I'm apparently awful at allocating skill points in EASHL. I'm guessing there is no way to reset stat points eh? Does anyone have a good guide to building a power forward that can crush dudes and sometime score a dumb goal?

Change your player type, then change back. That resets the points.

I've played PWF since 09. I put most of my points into:

Checking
Balance
Strength
WS power/accuracy
Offensive Awareness

Offensive awareness will help if you're hanging around the net, you'll get tips and rebounds.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

sba posted:

Change your player type, then change back. That resets the points.

I've played PWF since 09. I put most of my points into:

Checking
Balance
Strength
WS power/accuracy
Offensive Awareness

Offensive awareness will help if you're hanging around the net, you'll get tips and rebounds.

I thought hand-eye is for tips? O-A is for rebounds def though.

Also, for offense, agility and acceleration is nice too. Strength only affects hitting and punching right? Like it's not a multiplier for balance?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Where's the drat option to get auto shot aim to be turned off permanently, its so annoying to have to do it every drat time i do a be a pro game.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

Where's the drat option to get auto shot aim to be turned off permanently, its so annoying to have to do it every drat time i do a be a pro game.

You can save your settings after you change them so you dont have to redo them every game. There is nowhere at all on screen saying how to do it, but there is a way (I found it by accident).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you save your settings in the main options it should always carry over. Pre game changes are for that game only.

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Strength only affects hitting and punching right? Like it's not a multiplier for balance?

I think it may have a secondary effect on shot power and your stick selection (along with height/weight) - I seem to remember pulling points out of strength with a winger and then having to switch to a lower flex number.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cool, I made the Plays of the Week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ksy3mI7lFI

Mine is the one with Hejda laying people out.

I was wondering where the hell I got those 2 mega packs from last night.

(I got Grabner from one of them, so not bad.)

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 20, 2013

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Oh neat players have a hidden expiry career date in hut. Quitting and restarting seemed to fix the bug.

Joink fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 20, 2013

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Anyone know how to fix mic issues in EASHL lobby/locker room? For some reason, I can't hear Rutkowski's mic chatter at all (though in game and in loading screens it works fine).

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!
Every year that seems to happen to some new combination of goons. I recommend maybe chcking to see if your PS3 is designated on the router's DMZ but other than that, as far as I know, it's just One of Those Things.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

LegioPraetoria posted:

I think it may have a secondary effect on shot power and your stick selection (along with height/weight) - I seem to remember pulling points out of strength with a winger and then having to switch to a lower flex number.

It also affects your skating speed, and shot skills, and your hits, and your balance, and your everything. Strength is the main point, and has been for the past 2 years, Unless they changed it this year (doubtful)

LegioPraetoria
Jul 20, 2006

Strikeout!

Ashekaban posted:

It also affects your skating speed, and shot skills, and your hits, and your balance, and your everything. Strength is the main point, and has been for the past 2 years, Unless they changed it this year (doubtful)

For real? Before I go dumping all my points into strength, do you have some kind of source for this?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Does anyone even really know what a stat does, not what people think/say it does? I mean, I usually put a healthy amount of points into strength because over the years I feel like it does something at bare minimum.

LONG POST INCOMING!

The stats I have always ignored (65 overall) no matter my build or playstyle are:

Aggression I might sometimes raise this to 70, it doesnt make hitting easier, or anything else useful that I have ever noticed.
Balance I've never put a single point into this, if my guy is big, he almost never goes down, if he is small, I just accept that I will be hit at some point, I still almost never get murdered more than 3-5 times a game.
Durability No point, why waste points?
Fighting Again, I win a healthy amount of fights already, I would rather spend my skills elsewhere.
Shot Blocking What does this even do? I already shot block manually by pressing L1, I lead my team in blocks, not sure why you need points in this.

The Stats I always invested heavily into are:

Speed Self explanatory, keep it in line with Acceleration and Endurance for best results.
Acceleration Self explanatory, keep it in line with Speed and Endurance for best results.
Agility Allows you to keep more momentum when turning, allows for sharper turns, you can cut much easier, just makes you quicker overall when not going in a straight line.
Endurance Always max this out, no excuses. It lets your player do everything better, for longer. You can turbo for longer, hit harder for longer, and shoot better for longer. You will blow by anyone by the 3rd period who did not invest into endurance.
Stick Check Not as good as it once was, still a must for Defense, and defensively minded forwards. Never poke check from behind or you will go to the box. Never Stick lift when face to face or you will go to the box. My rule of thumb is if you are parallel to the player, stick lift, otherwise poke check.
Body Check If you want to hit, this is your stat. Although, the bigger your guy height-wise, the less you need. Remember that hitting isnt everything, hit wisely, or end up in the box/giving up a breakaway.
Defensive Awareness and Offensive Awareness This can be useful, determines how your guy automatically responds to the puck, the higher it is the easier you will get rebounds/bat the puck in the air, break up passes (Def), also adds a slight auto aim to your shot(Off). This stat raises your overall like crazy, but stop caring about your overall, that's only to scare people into quitting in OTP. my 71 legend 3 skater would murder 82 overall legend 3's because overall means nothing.
Shot power and accuracy Wrist for forwards, slap for Dman. Not the end all be all, you still need to aim your shot, this just makes it easier.
Passing Maxed out, no excuses. You can make insane passes with high rating, it will go right through defenders sticks even if they are in perfect position, you can bank passes off the boards like it's nothing, and you can make stretch passes without even trying.
Discipline Removes elbowing penalties, lets you get away with a rare trip/slash/broken sticks, just keeps you out of the box more often if you play aggressive, wont save you from blatant penalties such as boarding, charging, or interference.
Strength This stat just seems to make you better at what you do if you play physical. Shots are a bit harder, hits are easier, you are more difficult to be steamrolled while in good position. This is half the reason I never put points into balance, with high strength, I don't fall over, so what good is balance?

The "Meh" Stats:

Hand Eye: I raise this up to about 85 if I plan to do a lot of one-timers from the point, or if I plan to sit in front of the net for deflections, otherwise it was never more than 70-75. You still need perfect position to tip pucks, this wont auto correct for you.
Deke: I try to stay away from this, as the better teams will be in your face hitting you/poking/stick lifting, making deke worthless, but it does work nicely when you manage to get the breakaway/penalty shot/1 on 1. My defenders always have 65-70, forwards 75-80. If all you ever play is OTP, you can probably cap it and score 5 goals a game on human goalies, 2-3 on cpu. I only use deke to fool the goalie and defender who goes for the big hit. You can more easily just skate around defenders who are human controlled than deking all over the place. Having lovely deke rating also encourages you to pass the puck to open teammates rather than try to do your best Pavel Datsuk impersonation (hint: you suck, pass the puck).
Puck Control: this has always been between 70-75 and I've never noticed my guy losing the puck easily. If you are good at skating around defenders, protecting the puck (pressing X on a ps3 controller / A on Xbox), and just knowing when to dump/pass the puck, you're not going to lose the puck, ever. You should be passing/dumping more than you do anyway.

Please feel free to correct me, this is what I have gathered from personal playing experience over 3 years of EASHL.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

LegioPraetoria posted:

For real? Before I go dumping all my points into strength, do you have some kind of source for this?

Ever played a be a pro game with 5'8 guys who hit like a truck and wont go down to your 6'4 dude? Thats strength hard at work. It used to only be a shot modifier, but has graduated into doing a lot of things at once.

Also, Shot Blocking helps you choose the right shot block for situation, and allow you to get up quicker. Although most of the time you want the flat on the ice shot block anyway.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Awesome. In general, would you say you want Speed>Acceleration>Agility or something more along the lines of Speed=Acceleration>Agility?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

Awesome. In general, would you say you want Speed>Acceleration>Agility or something more along the lines of Speed=Acceleration>Agility?

I raise speed and acceleration at the same time, so that they are equal, agility comes next, but I never let it dip too far behind the other two.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

any insight on goalie stats?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I know I go against the grain with this but I think that wrist shot power is awesome for Dmen. If you're playing online then there's a slim chance that anybody will cycle it to the point in the first place so shooting skills shouldn't be a priority at all, however using the right stick to clear the puck out of the slot or up the boards in the defensive zone is pretty cool. It's much quicker than charging a pass or trying to dump it so I mostly just shoot the puck to my teammates for breakaways.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So does line chemistry in HUT mode actually do anything?

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

triplexpac posted:

So does line chemistry in HUT mode actually do anything?

low chem lines seem to have more trouble making and receiving passes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, your one timers suck with low chemistry.

• Locked thread