Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Anyone have any experience with the new square instax film and camera yet? Kind of iffy that it's a digital projection onto the film instead of right from the lens and I wanna see if it works out ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the new square instax film and camera yet? Kind of iffy that it's a digital projection onto the film instead of right from the lens and I wanna see if it works out ok

This review on reddit sounds extremely disappointing: https://www.reddit.com/r/instax/comments/6c7az0/instax_sq10_first_impressions_and_issues/

Seems like a really half-assed point-and-shoot. Hopefully they'll release an analog model.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that reads like a power user not understanding that a toy camera for teenagers is built down to a price :shrug:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ugh but there's no manual controls on my snapshot instant camera

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Weirdly picky review aside, I am still extremely disinterested in a digital p&s with attached printer. Would much rather have something shooting directly on the film.

I picked up a box of monochrome from my local photo supply. Not sure what to expect from it but I'll post if I manage to shoot something not completely wretched.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Misc posted:

Weirdly picky review aside, I am still extremely disinterested in a digital p&s with attached printer. Would much rather have something shooting directly on the film.

There is supposed to be a purely analog one coming out later, probably when Fuji thinks enough people have bought this hybrid one.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

What were these shot on? They look great

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Thinking about dropping some $$$ on an Instax 500AF. Anybody have any good/bad experiences with it?

Also has Fuji released anything on the longevity of Instax Wide production? Getting worried due to the new square format camera and the announcement discontinuing some Superia stuff.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Chill Callahan posted:

What were these shot on? They look great

Thanks, it was on a Instax Wide 300.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Chill Callahan posted:

Thinking about dropping some $$$ on an Instax 500AF. Anybody have any good/bad experiences with it?

Also has Fuji released anything on the longevity of Instax Wide production? Getting worried due to the new square format camera and the announcement discontinuing some Superia stuff.

Personally I think the addition of Instax Square and Instax Mini Monochrome are a vote of confidence in the Instax film products.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Rastor posted:

Personally I think the addition of Instax Square and Instax Mini Monochrome are a vote of confidence in the Instax film products.

Yeah I hope so. Maybe I'm pessimistic but I see three different formats as somewhat superfluous. If there's some downtick in Instax sales I could see one format getting axed. Then again it did make Fuji a healthy profit last year so I might just be talking out of my rear end

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Verge reviews the Instax Square SQ10:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/2/15725890/fujifilm-instax-sq10-review-instant-polaroid-digital-camera

There are things they like about it but feel that considering "it’s now simultaneously a digital camera, too... the company might not have taken that second idea far enough."
Of course The Verge is a technology/gadget site, so maybe that's partly because of the viewpoint they're coming from.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's a "manual mode" that only shoots digital and lets you apply "creative filters". Exciting..

As long as it helps them sell film that's fine with me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4vdOGkTSjY

:whoa:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Oh man! That was so awesome!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

topenga posted:

Oh man! That was so awesome!

He also has a video showing how to stand develop color film. Kind of an awesome channel.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you have amazon prime there is 20% off the Instax Wide 300 http://amzn.to/2tJGtIB
Comes out to around $65 before tax.

There was also a deal on the instax mini I got an e-mail about, but you had to order through Alexa.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

JHVH-1 posted:

If you have amazon prime there is 20% off the Instax Wide 300 http://amzn.to/2tJGtIB
Comes out to around $65 before tax.

I have one of these but it's always seemed pretty soft, did I just get a bad one? I'm kind of down to roll the dice again, but not if they're all bad.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Took my camera to a music festival last month, handling the polaroid in the middle of a dancing crowd was a bit sketchy at times.

How are you all scanning your shots? I used google photo scan and it came out rather meh plus I caught the reflection of a ceiling lamp in all of them.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Ashex posted:

How are you all scanning your shots? I used google photo scan and it came out rather meh plus I caught the reflection of a ceiling lamp in all of them.

Flatbed scanner like the Epson v600 (which you can use for 35mm negatives if you're interested branching out from instant)

If I'm lazy I feed them through a quick document scanner at work. You're not really losing a ton of fidelity with Instax Mini.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lomography wasted no time creating a camera for the new Instax Square format:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/8/29/16219488/lomo-instant-square-announcement-price-release-date

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

It's so ugly it's cool and I want one.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I freely admit that I have no self control when it comes to these cameras.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Polaroid announced the OneStep 2 camera today, for its 40th anniversary. No digital tomfoolery here, it's 100% analog and uses either 600 or I-Type instant film.

I can't really find out much about I-Type other than Impossible makes it - is it solely their invention? And is impossible still the only company making new 600 film?

Oh I guess Impossible bought rights to the Polaroid brand in May so really I think this whole endeavour is mostly all Impossible's doing?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah sounds like just the last step in Impossible taking over that whole deal.

Will be interesting to watch the Instax Square vs Impossible market shake out.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
This has got to just be re-branded impossible film...
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/products/color-instant-film-for-600

Wasn't the original 600 in 10 packs not 8? Plus its almost the same insane price, and they are selling old cameras just like the impossible site does.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

JHVH-1 posted:

This has got to just be re-branded impossible film...
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/products/color-instant-film-for-600

Wasn't the original 600 in 10 packs not 8? Plus its almost the same insane price, and they are selling old cameras just like the impossible site does.

It is The Impossible Project.

Unfortunately.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and the quality of the results looks muted and soft. just like impossible project film.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

polyester concept posted:

I can't really find out much about I-Type other than Impossible makes it - is it solely their invention? And is impossible still the only company making new 600 film?

I-Type appears to be 600 film without batteries (since the cameras it's designed to be used in have batteries of their own).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Oh lol, the website https://us.impossible-project.com/ just goes to the polaroid one now.

The cached version of that page had a message :

quote:

The Impossible online store will be closed from September 10th – September 13th
Watch this space, sign up to stay connected, and #SeeWhatDevelops.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

I-Type appears to be 600 film without batteries (since the cameras it's designed to be used in have batteries of their own).

I didn't know polaroid film carts had batteries in them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I was super excited for the Onestep 2 until I saw it's just rebranded Impossible film. Which means it's the same garbage film right? :sigh:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I think it's a new version of their formula too. Don't know about the quality though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

akadajet posted:

I didn't know polaroid film carts had batteries in them.

Yeah, I had one when I was younger (actually I think I still have the camera somewhere). If you took photos frequently, and especially if you took a lot of indoor or night photos it was nice never having to worry if the battery was strong enough for the flash. Of course if you only used half a pack and then didn't take any photos for a month or two your camera wouldn't work until you took out the pack and put a new one in, wasting half a 10 dollar pack of film in 1995 dollars.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fuji is going to make a version of the Instax Share SP-2 printer for their Instax Square film format, called the Instax Share SP-3.

It should be available sometime next month.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/24/16537272/fujifilm-instax-share-sp3-square-film-printer

Still no word on an analog Instax Square (although there is the Lomo of course)

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I usually shoot a pack of Impossible film for my Spectra (colour) every couple of weeks, and keep a few packs handy so I don't need to keep going back to the camera store when I'm out. I just tried a pack of the Polaroid Originals film (new formula apparently) and disappointed when half the pack wound up jamming inside my camera on the way out, resulting in a dead picture. In the eight or ten packs I've shot I've had it jam twice, and to have nearly half the pack rendered useless is a letdown.

I'll probably write them an email tomorrow? I don't know. Anyone else have this problem?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

Oh I guess Impossible bought rights to the Polaroid brand in May so really I think this whole endeavour is mostly all Impossible's doing?

I was floored seeing a polaroid booth selling polaroid packs at a photo show and asked if their stuff was better than impossible's :suicide:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
This was the first show I shot using a Instax Wide 300 along with my usual X-T2. I think I'll have to bring it to more shows in the future.

img018 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img020 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img014 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img023 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

Has anyone tried out the Instax Wide Monochrome film yet? Just picked up a pack at my local camera store. They're only available in single packs of 10, unfortunately. It's also being sold at Amazon, B&H, Best Buy, and Adorama at varying prices. Gonna try it out on my Wide 210 this weekend.

• Locked thread