Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008

404notfound posted:

Is Instax film okay to take through an airport x-ray? I believe it's 800 ISO.

Just hand check it. Or go to ritz and buy a film bag. They probably have one, covered in dust. The sales guy will say "huh?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

404notfound posted:

Is Instax film okay to take through an airport x-ray? I believe it's 800 ISO.

Yep its fine, I've even checked it on an international flight and it was okay.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Cadillac Ranch. Polaroid 600SE - 75mm.

basch
May 24, 2014

^nice shots, that installation looks really cool!

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand Instax 210 because the price it's being offered at seems too good to be true. Of course, I would like to know if it actually is too good to be true... so aside from taking a couple test shots is there anything I should watch out for?

Like suspicious noises etc.?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

basch posted:

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand Instax 210 because the price it's being offered at seems too good to be true. Of course, I would like to know if it actually is too good to be true... so aside from taking a couple test shots is there anything I should watch out for?

Listen closely when you fire it. If you hear a soft "meow" sound, there may be a cat inside. It's a common problem with the 210 and sellers often aren't even aware of the issue.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

basch posted:

Thanks. Test it. Take NEW batteries. Check the battery compartment for corrosion. Look for signs of being dropped. Listen for suspicious noises.

This is Bob “Crocodile” Lile a really good artist/painter on Route 66 in Amarillo, TX. This guy is awesome. Will be drinking beer with him next time he comes to Albuquerque. He does a ton of work trying to preserve Route 66 in the USA.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

basch posted:

Instax go for insanely low prices, used. Its not that its too good to be true, its that the person selling it, had one or 2 uses in mind and doesnt feel they can recoup more $$$.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're just really common cameras, and most people buy one, take three shots at a party, and forget about it. If they still have a film pack in it, take a test shot and make sure the flash fires and the film shoots out smoothly.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

This is Bob “Crocodile” Lile a really good artist/painter on Route 66 in Amarillo, TX. This guy is awesome. Will be drinking beer with him next time he comes to Albuquerque. He does a ton of work trying to preserve Route 66 in the USA.

Cool shots.

It's been my goal to drive down Rt. 66 and take some photos, but the logistics of it are daunting. Need more vacation time and money.

How do you like the 75mm? I have been hunting for one for a while for my Mamiya system to get something that covers the whole FP film area, but the prices are a bit silly at the moment.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Putrid Grin posted:

Cool shots.

It's been my goal to drive down Rt. 66 and take some photos, but the logistics of it are daunting. Need more vacation time and money.

How do you like the 75mm? I have been hunting for one for a while for my Mamiya system to get something that covers the whole FP film area, but the prices are a bit silly at the moment.

Thanks!

It's pretty cool and very sad at the same time. 90% of the places I remember from trips as a kid are now closed or demolished. :/

I am loving the 75mm and the 150mm - I got both of them basically brand new from a retired Polaroid engineer. I need to shoot some more with the 75mm to get used to it. I will most likely sell off the 127mm cause I don't see myself using it over the 150mm.

Do you have a focusing screen for your Mamiya? I'm looking for one. I finally found a Mamiya M Adapter for the 600SE and I can use Mamiya Universal/Press Backs now.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Don't have a screen. My style of shooting doesn't lend itself to it that often, but it sure would be useful for portraits at minimum focus distance.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Putrid Grin posted:

Don't have a screen. My style of shooting doesn't lend itself to it that often, but it sure would be useful for portraits at minimum focus distance.

I have a set of diopters and want to do some macro stuff so I'll pic one up.

I just did a mod on a Big Shot with a broken shutter. I pulled all of the guts out. Left the original lens and put a Copal shutter on the the front. The shutter fits perfectly into the lighten/darken dial.

Test shots using the above.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 11, 2014

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Another Big Shot with a broken shutter mod.

Big Shot Mod with MP-4 Shutter and Original Lens by natebol, on Flickr

Test shots.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 16, 2014

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
A guy near me has a polaroid land camera 250 for sale, is there anything major I should be looking for besides checking to make sure that the shutter works and the bellows look okay? I would kinda like to get into instant photography.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Shellman posted:

A guy near me has a polaroid land camera 250 for sale, is there anything major I should be looking for besides checking to make sure that the shutter works and the bellows look okay? I would kinda like to get into instant photography.

Cover the light sensor and trip the shutter. This will tell you that it at least fires. Check bellows for damage and wear. Check rollers for corrosion or permanent crap on them. Check to make sure that the RF at least pretends to give you a good focus (you wont know until you put film in and try).

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Got a pack film holder for my RZ67 and saw some grass.

Grass by TheJeffers, on Flickr

EDIT: Also, a cat.

Inevitable cat test by TheJeffers, on Flickr

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 22, 2014

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Musket posted:

Cover the light sensor and trip the shutter. This will tell you that it at least fires. Check bellows for damage and wear. Check rollers for corrosion or permanent crap on them. Check to make sure that the RF at least pretends to give you a good focus (you wont know until you put film in and try).

Check the battery compartment for corrosion and such. Camera needs batteries to fire, and if I recall correctly they use one of those goofy batteries that are not made anymore. It is easy to rewire the thing to accept regular batteries.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If it still has the old battery clip, you can flip them over and hold a CR123A to them to test or use the camera. Also check that all three lenses are clean and fungus free.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Thanks for the tips, but didn't wind up buying it unfortunately--he knew nothing about the camera other than in his mind it was "worth something"--he'd picked it up cheap somewhere and wanted to make money. Didn't want to let me open it up and check the rollers because "the polaroid film in there is worth something" so I just said gently caress it. Guess I'll keep my eyes open for another to turn up.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Finally shot some 4x5 portraits yesterday using my new monolight. Felt pro as hell to take a polaroid test shot and give one to the model. Too bad 100c is smaller so the composition is off.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi your big shot setup looks very interesting. If I wasn't all about portability right now I would be picking your brain about it because the results you are getting are sweet as hell.

Shellman posted:

Thanks for the tips, but didn't wind up buying it unfortunately--he knew nothing about the camera other than in his mind it was "worth something"--he'd picked it up cheap somewhere and wanted to make money. Didn't want to let me open it up and check the rollers because "the polaroid film in there is worth something" so I just said gently caress it. Guess I'll keep my eyes open for another to turn up.

Sorry it didn't work out. I have a 240 lying around. Not as nice as the 250, but if you are interested PM me.

And a reclaimed negative from my Mamiya running fp-100c:

_DSC5651 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Putrid Grin posted:

Whitezombi your big shot setup looks very interesting. If I wasn't all about portability right now I would be picking your brain about it because the results you are getting are sweet as hell.

Thanks.

Those are 2 different big shot mods. First is the original lens in the original position with a new shutter on the front. Second is the original lens IN a new shutter on the front. I still need to adjust the finder on the 2nd. Feel free to pick my brain.

2 from the MP-4 shutter & original lens.

Shellman posted:

I have a ton of cameras as well. Let me know if you are interested. natebolin at the mail that starts with g.

Whitezombi fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 24, 2014

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Mamiya Leaf by TheJeffers, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I got one the them instax printers after whitezombi recommended it. It's tricky to get the exposure right, what was totally fine on my phone screen ends up being way overblown on the picture.

untitled by Geektox, on Flickr

It's definitely fun to use though.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Geektox posted:

I got one the them instax printers after whitezombi recommended it. It's tricky to get the exposure right, what was totally fine on my phone screen ends up being way overblown on the picture.

It's definitely fun to use though.

What phone do you have?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Whitezombi posted:

What phone do you have?

Moto X

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

I read somewhere that there are issues with android phones. You might google it and see what you find.

I love my 600SE.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

drat thats nice.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Untitled by TheJeffers, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Been trying the printer more, originals included for reference:

2014-08-09 06.18.12 2 by Geektox, on Flickr

scan033.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-08-09 06.12.45 2 by Geektox, on Flickr

scan034.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 10, 2014

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Untitled by TheJeffers, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Wimpys, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Good stuffs. Love the SP-1.

TIME ZERO a documentary about Polaroid is now on Netflix.

http://timezeromovie.com/2014/08/04/time-zero-now-available-on-all-popular-video-on-demand-services/

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Whitezombi posted:

http://timezeromovie.com/2014/08/04/time-zero-now-available-on-all-popular-video-on-demand-services/

Thanks, your stuff is basically why I got into instant in the first place!

The movie isn't available in Canada :(

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

Wow, this 90 minute advertisement for project impossible has it all: hipsters, emotionally unbalanced people crying over death of polaroid, neck beards, hyperboles...

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Geektox posted:

Thanks, your stuff is basically why I got into instant in the first place!

The movie isn't available in Canada :(

Hopeful this isn't :filez: but you can download a Chrome extension called Hola, then login to your Netflix account and you'll have US access.

Putrid Grin posted:

Wow, this 90 minute advertisement for project impossible has it all: hipsters, emotionally unbalanced people crying over death of polaroid, neck beards, hyperboles...

Pretty spot on.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Putrid Grin posted:

I was gonna watch this, but I feared it would be like your description. Glad I skipped it.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Just got a Polaroid 100 back for my Hassy and I noticed the back already had some Polaroid Polacolor ER in it that is who knows how old. What exposure adjustments should I make when using it? It says iso 80 on the package and I have no idea as to how it was stored. Also what film should I get for it? Are the Fuji FP-100c and FP-3000b pretty much my only options?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, you're pretty much stuck with FP-100c and 3000b for a while longer, and then FP-3000b will run out of stock and we only have color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

pootiebigwang posted:

Just got a Polaroid 100 back for my Hassy and I noticed the back already had some Polaroid Polacolor ER in it that is who knows how old. What exposure adjustments should I make when using it? It says iso 80 on the package and I have no idea as to how it was stored. Also what film should I get for it? Are the Fuji FP-100c and FP-3000b pretty much my only options?

Try overexposing it 1 or 2 stops. I hope it works. You can get some interesting results.

Development time is 1 minute but you may need to let it cook longer. How many shots do you have?

• Locked thread