Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
My two instant shooters, the modified 103 Land Camera with an Ektar 127mm mounted on the front, and the original Instax 100 wide, held together with gaffer tape:

Land Camera Pre-mod, and I have to admit I've changed my preference to liking the Silk version of the film over the regular:

Twist by mr_student, on Flickr

Singapore Airport by mr_student, on Flickr

Instax 100:

Yosemite by mr_student, on Flickr

Edinburgh corner by mr_student, on Flickr

These were taken with my Polaroid back for my Bronica SQ-Ai:

Little wheat by mr_student, on Flickr

Wheat flow by mr_student, on Flickr

Boiling away by mr_student, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Yep I had that problem, easily fixed by snapping of the two little arms that apply pressure to the back of the film pack. Reason why is that the Polaroid film packs were rigid metal, while the modern Fuji are very flexible plastic, which results in getting loving developer on everything and snapping tabs getting the film out.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Primo Itch posted:

How did you go about changing the lenses on the 103? I have a 230 that's in a good state but the meter is all wonky and the thing is auto-only, but if I could fit a LF lens on it... :heysexy:

This is where I got the rough details on how to do it, pretty easy conversion if you've got something like a Dremel to play with:
http://www.instantoptions.com/conversions/250b/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That is a frickn' rad setup, just check to make sure the shutter is good by putting your hand on the sensor, fire the shutter, and you should hear two loud clicks.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Whitezombi posted:

I hear 2 loud clicks with OR without my hand over the sensor. Is this an issue?

Basically you should get two loud clicks with a long exposure, so take it outside and try covered and uncovered. But don't try this until you've done the battery conversion. But the fact you've even got two clicks regardless is a good sign.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think the emulsion it's self doesn't have particularly high acutance, as since changing the plastic lens on my land camera to a large format glass lens I haven't seen a massive improvement in the overall sharpness of the images. But if you're using instant for sharpness you're doin' it wrong. The large format lens does give full control over the exposure though.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Putrid Grin posted:

Anyone had experience with having their FP-100/3000 film x-rayed at the airport? Documentation states that it shouldn't be put in checked in baggage, and needs to be kept in a carry-on, but that stuff gets zapped as well....

I've dragged fp-100c across the globe and back and not had any problems with fogging, while having it in my carry on baggage. Also, I've put Instax film (iso 800) in my checked baggage flying from Aus to US and not had any fogging either.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

They obviously shoot the Fuji FP films? I've been looking for a replacement for my modified Land Camera, I miss having the close focus.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I wouldn't believe it until word came from Fuji, there are always "tips" and rumours of film stocks discontinuing, it's pretty tedious.

All it will do is bring out everyone's inner hoarder.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Well Fuji announced it officially :smith:

So I've jumped on the purchasing train and picked up 5 packs.

But on a positive note, my new to me Polaroid Colorpack II arrived in mint condition and cost only $12.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

You're really taking the peal apart film and running with it, the frame idea is brilliant. Maybe try getting a hold of the original polaroid ones which are made from sturdy metal, rather than the Fuji plastic.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I did some reclaims a little while ago and was pretty happy with the results, always get more out of the shadows. These days I keep the negatives always with the intention of reclaiming them...

Print

Negative

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I have a feeling I scanned this before worked out how to do levels properly in PS, and was just playing around in lightroom with temp/hue in LR.

I did actually try and wet print one of these negs with RA4 paper/chems, but there just wasn't enough conrast in the neg to get anything worthwhile.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Glass Glass Glass by mr_student, on Flickr

Portrait by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Am I missing something here? Wasn't Fuji Instant 4x5 killed a while ago:
http://www.lomography.com/magazine/news/2014/02/24/fujifilms-fp-100c-45-peel-apart-film-to-be-discontinued

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Looks like the guys working on their own 4x5 instant film are ready to crank it up, here's their kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobcrowley/new55-film

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I was really impressed with the images they've already made with their prototypes, they're getting a great tonal range and what looks to be fine grain (I'm guessing you can call it that in instant film). Looks to be a lot more impressive than the garbage coming out of Impossible.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That 4x5 Instax back looks pretty sweet, I'd be pretty interested if it's not at eye-watering prices.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Looks like the new55 project got funded on kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobcrowley/new55-film

I pledged for a pack of film, but if anyone is interested I'd be happy to sell at cost, as I don't have an instant back.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

When I scan mine on a V500 I just use the medium format holder as a frame to push the negative flat, works pretty well for no cost.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Another instant kickstarter, this time Lomo are making an Instax Mini competitor, worth getting one at the discounted price:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lomography/the-lomoinstant-camera

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

While that printer is not super cheap (on discount at amazon now for $180), it seems like a WAY better solution than that idiotic iPhone enlarger thing Impossible got millions of dollars to make from kickstarter.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

FPP have FP-3000b back in stock, but at $20 a pop.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

404notfound posted:

Is Instax film okay to take through an airport x-ray? I believe it's 800 ISO.

Yep its fine, I've even checked it on an international flight and it was okay.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It seems like they've realised they need more engineers and less hipsters to be viable, as they can't survive on PR alone when their films are pretty sub-par and expensive.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Brauhaus by mr_student, on Flickr

Brauhaus by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 4, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Took some 3000b out into the sun, did something weird to the edges. Up at Hanging Rock on Boxing Day.

Hanging Rock by mr_student, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

When I first saw the edges I didn't like them, but they've definitely grown on me. I really miss FP-100b though :smith:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

From what I've seen the latest iterations look okay, but a friend shot some older "colour" iterations, and they look like fading turds, all brown and pale.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

FP-3000b is no longer made, and the final production is being sold off at inflated prices. However, FP-100c, (colour!) is still being made and sold at reasonable prices, so go grab a bunch of boxes of that.

http://filmphotographyproject.com/store/instant-film/polaroid-type-100-pack-film

Don't buy polaroid branded film, it's too old these days.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Looks like theres now a new instant pinhole camera that costs €222.00

http://pinhole.supersense.com

It's built on top of the Impossible film processing unit, such a bummer.

I'd really like a medium format version of this, the variable hight bellows are really neat for adjusting the FOV.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Where's the cheapest place to get an Instax wide in the US? I'm traveling over in a couple of weeks and need a new one

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That's rad, what is the back you're using?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

8th-snype posted:

day old hookers

Wait what?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Yep, thats what I did and my Land Camera hasn't hosed up any packs of film since.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

So I finally got around to modding my pack film Land Camera, but changing the plastic lens out for a Kodak Ektar 127mm 4x5 lens that I had kicking around. Pretty easy job, just pulling it apart and making a little more room in the front standard of the camera.

E by Tim James, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Fuji pack films have plastic holders, unlike the Polaroid ones which were far more rigid (metal I think), so the pressure plates/tabs in the land cameras provide to much pressure making it difficult to pull the film out, causing the tabs to get ripped and wrecking the shot. I just broke off the pressure tabs off and haven't had a problem with tough to get out film, you could try the pressure plate and if it's an issue, just remove it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

And keep those rollers as clean as you can too in between packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Man, that sounds like too much work, and I shoot large format, just get an Instax Wide and a gently caress load of film and be happy.

• Locked thread