Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Butt Reactor posted:

Somehow I acquired a polaroid Big Swinger (:dong:) when cleaning family belongings out during the holidays. From a quick search, is FP-3000 the only film I can use in it? Does this camera work with color film at all?

I was browsing eBay last night and then ended up watching a video to learn more about that camera. The video the guy posted said he tried color film in it, and it had mixed success. He said indoors its way too dark so don't even waste your money trying, but for outdoors and really well lit areas it might occasionally work but don't expect much out of it.

There are people on eBay now putting some of these polaroid cameras up at higher prices with buy it now instead of auctions. Those people seem like dicks and I don't think they sell anything. I also saw listings where people put the word hipster in the title of the auction. Maybe I like hipster things sometimes, don't judge me eBay listing. I am old enough to actually remember some of these cameras being used by normal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
What a deal!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I have a family get together in a few weeks, and was contemplating just picking up an Instax camera off amazon to bring for fun. The Wide 300 seems pretty decent. I kinda like the size of the larger film but the mini 90 is kinda appealing.

Anybody have any thoughts on these? Will buying one turn me into an young asian girl?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I was visiting my grandparents while on vacation and my grandmother had this Polaroid Impulse AF sitting in the closet. She used to do local business promotions, grand openings etc, and had it for taking pictures of kids sitting on Santa's lap or something like that. So the thing is in pretty good condition. It had a film pack still in it and the flash fired even which I didn't expect. The film was old though so the exposures were sticking to each other and useless. The other couple unopened packs ended up with corroded battery leads so I didn't get to test it out but it looks good mechanically.

Only thing is that the Impossible film options are stupidly expensive. I might pick up a pack off amazon just to test it out at thanksgiving, but otherwise I don't know if I will use it much unless some alternative comes around or the film goes on sale.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

If you want to shoot more reasonably priced instant film, get a vintage polaroid land camera that takes pack film. Fuji FP-100c is about $0.90/shot whereas Impossible film is around $2.75/shot as you probably already figured out. Plus, Impossible film is really finicky and you're likely to waste half the shots you take.

And they look way cooler

RIP if you're in :canada: though

The land cameras were what I was originally looking at when I first found this thread, and hoped to run into one. But hey, the camera was free and I rescued it from being sold off on eBay or something like that. I also checked out the brownie cameras my grandmother had and expressed interested in those so hopefully they don't disappear. They are pretty old, so I think she is more likely to hand those down.

Kinda stupid though impossible sells a 3 pack (of 8 exposures instead of the original polaroid 10 of course) for $69.99 which essentially saves you zero dollars.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

404notfound posted:

Did anyone go in for a Lomo'Instant Wide? I got the kit with the wide-angle and close-up lenses, but I'm not sure how to focus them.

The manual with the kit said the close-up has a set focus distance of 10cm, but is that with the camera's lens itself focused as close as possible? And the part for the wide-angle lens says to set the camera to 0.5m (even though it only goes down to 0.6m) to take pictures at 0.3m with the attachment, and at infinity for "normal" photography. So at one foot I'm focused as close as possible, and anything else I rack it out to infinity?

I don't know if I care for the lomo aesthetic/culture, but at least it's a more versatile camera than the Instax 300, which can't even turn off its flash.

The design is actually more of what I would like. The fuji's are kinda big and goofy looking. If its any decent I might look at one of those later.

I went and bought some still overpriced film direct from impossible during their "black friday" sale which they extended into a cyber monday and now a holiday sale. There were some round frame packs for 50% off (discontinued I guess) and I picked up a double pack of B&W 2.0 formula just to try since I got the camera for free. They still charge 8 bucks shipping, and it shipped Friday with an deliver before date of next Tuesday. It would have been faster and cheaper to just ship it through USPS priority. The film you get on amazon isn't expired or anything, but they keep the new formula for their own site for some reason. So the test pack I got you still have to hide it in the dark for 30 minutes after you take it and all that garbage. The whole thing seems like they are taking advantage of people honestly. Like maybe it costs good money to develop these formulas, source the chemicals, improve the process etc. but why not try to bring down prices or be transparent. Plus why the hell keep selling the old formula to retailers without buyers having any idea?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I realized today some of the Impossible films have a "Best by" date, and other boxes have a "Production" date (with 1 year from that being suggested best by). I tossed my first box out at my family's house but this pack may have been already expired

This old formula definitely works better in bright sunlight, but the colors still are pretty washed out. Maybe in some cases that is kinda cool.
The packs I got during the black Friday sale are still fresh so looking towards trying them out at holiday parties. I don't even have a scanner, so just sticking these up on people's fridges. Compositionally this photo is dumb but you get the idea.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

Has anyone posted about or even seen these instant cameras MiNT is making? They have a aperture priority TLR that takes instax film

https://mint-camera.com/tl70/features/

lol $390 US

Seems like a great idea, and the fact that it doesn't use impossible film is good for the cost savings but then you have to pay too much for the drat camera. You can't win with instant photography.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOc6Tci3ktQ

http://instax.com/square/

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't know who Shawn Mendes is but he has his own Instax bundle https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Instax-Shawn-Mendes-Bundle/dp/B01M7ZDXEQ

EDIT: Oh a mini 9 model on pre-order https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Instax-Mini-Instant-Camera/dp/B06WWL4JD8

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you have amazon prime there is 20% off the Instax Wide 300 http://amzn.to/2tJGtIB
Comes out to around $65 before tax.

There was also a deal on the instax mini I got an e-mail about, but you had to order through Alexa.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
This has got to just be re-branded impossible film...
https://us.polaroidoriginals.com/products/color-instant-film-for-600

Wasn't the original 600 in 10 packs not 8? Plus its almost the same insane price, and they are selling old cameras just like the impossible site does.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Oh lol, the website https://us.impossible-project.com/ just goes to the polaroid one now.

The cached version of that page had a message :

quote:

The Impossible online store will be closed from September 10th – September 13th
Watch this space, sign up to stay connected, and #SeeWhatDevelops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

It looked pretty nice except for the batteries... 2 x CR2 meh.

• Locked thread