Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I use 4x5 packfilm in a Fuji PA-45 or Polaroid 550 back.

Pick A Pack O' Packfilm by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

I also use the smaller 3.25x4.25 packfilm in a Fuji PA-145 or Polaroid 405 back.

Mausoleum by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

If you want to use any of those backs on your 4x5 camera it'll need to have a Graflok back.

I also use 3.25x4.25 packfilm on my RZ67. The back is basically a Polaroid 405 that Mamiya adapted for their purposes. Hasselblad and some other MF camera manufacturers have similar setups.

Amy by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

David by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Test Fujiroid by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Monument Rocks Test by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

PushingKingston posted:

Took the plunge last month and got the Instax 210:

Also, does anyone own the Polaroid 405 back, or that Fuji PA-145 back? I'm thinking of getting one for my 4x5.

I own one and enjoy using it occasionally. Be warned - prices have skyrocketed since the discontinuation of the 4x5 Fuji packfilm. I got mine just before that for $100 - now they cost twice as much.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

I wouldn't believe it until word came from Fuji, there are always "tips" and rumours of film stocks discontinuing, it's pretty tedious.

All it will do is bring out everyone's inner hoarder.

Except it's true that they already discontinued the 4x5 packfilm :tinfoil: As I understand it, even the smaller packfilm is mostly only used in some passport photo cameras anymore - and for that you need color. Hopefully that means FP-100c will last a while longer...

edit: I just ordered 15 packs of FP-3000b. Still hoping the rumor is wrong.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 13, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
https://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-discontinuation-of-fuji-3000b-instant-film-by-fujifilm

1000 signatures in a few hours. I doubt anybody at Fuji is listening, but just in case...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

(FILM HOARDING INTENSIFIES)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mr. stefan posted:

Completely insane question just to satisfy my curiosity, how complex is the mechanism of black-and-white peel apart packfilm, and could someone theoretically reload spent packs with their own materials and reagent? I'm just getting into instant stuff to do emulsion lifts and I have a taste for stupid pointless DIY bullshit, so I was curious as to how impossible this would exactly be.

It's a DIY Type 55, not packfilm, and it's not that pointless or stupid, but it's definitely DIY: http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-instant-film-at-home-polaroid-55-/?ALLSTEPS

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Whitezombi posted:

Can you fix it?

The fix is to actually use the Graflok cams to lock in the back instead of just putting the back under the groundglass :)

It's an annoying extra step, but I always get way better results that way - not just from fewer light leaks, but the film ends up being at a more precise location, too.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Untitled by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Limoncello by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Behind the scenes - Chamonix at full extension:

8th-snype posted:

My Fuji PA145 back has shipped from Japan, soon I will be shooting pack film on a real camera.

:getin:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

I might be misinterpreting it, but I think this is just a "we're gonna run out of existing stocks really soon" message.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

Looks like the guys working on their own 4x5 instant film are ready to crank it up, here's their kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobcrowley/new55-film

Old Type 55 rules (when you can get the massively expired sheets to work) and it looks like New55 has the potential to be even better (higher ISO, same ISO for positive and negative).

Here's some old Type 55 I did before this thread existed.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Putrid Grin posted:

I just ordered a pack of Project Impossible "Instant" Film.
Morbidly curious if it is as lovely as it seems.

I'll save you the trouble: yes.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I hope there's even less exposure control.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

pootiebigwang posted:

Sorry for the dumb question but are you cropping? I only ask because my square instants aren't using as much negative space as this.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Is there a particular back that I need? Shooting on a Hasselblad 500 C/M btw.

The Mamiya RB and RZ have an ~8x8cm opening for the back. Your Hasselblad can only expose 6x6.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
FP-100C45. loving around with my flash before I put it away.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
...and with daylight.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Edward IV posted:

The reduced printing time would also enable me to print duplicates more quickly. While 16 seconds may not sound like a lot of time to wait, there were some situations that I encountered where it wasn't practical or possible to wait that long.

Sorry I don't have an answer for the other parts of your problem, but you know the SP-1 has a dedicated reprint button, right?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Edward IV posted:

Oh I know it's there. The problem is that it means waiting another 16 seconds to print a copy. I'm hoping to get printing time down to as fast as an Instax camera. I do get that I may not be able to make a better product than Fujifilm but I do think there is room for improvement for the SP-1 and there is no indications far as I know that Fujifilm is going to do that.

Also, I was wondering if there is a comprehensive guide on exposure times for Instax film. It would be helpful as a starting point so I don't have to use up so much film while experimenting. In the end, I do know that I'll have to rely on trial and error to get the results I want.

It sounds like what you want is an Instax camera.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Whitezombi posted:

It may come out a little more magenta than normal.

Yeah, this is my experience with FP-100C that's been sitting in the holder for a year.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

:mrgw:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thoogsby posted:

is that instant 4x5

yep

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Desire to know more.

I gave the New55 Kickstarter 225 of my dollars. $15/shot isn't much more expensive than sealed late-dated Type 55 is on eBay these days, and it'll be much more likely to actually work.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

:20bux: per shot :stonk: but I got a crazy deal on the processor + holder + tray. I might just shoot these two boxes, sell the equipment, and still come out ahead.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

:captainpop:

And here's me worried about the cost of New55.

Have you got any plans for it?

It's actually not that much more per sheet than New55 and it's about the same as shooting color 8x10 (including processing) for me. I'm planning on taking some pictures of people with it, but other than that nothing specific.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The blue smoke came out of the processor :shepspends: At least I can get a full refund for that part - we'll see what happens with the film. I didn't open the color at all...

edit: the one test image that came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

polyester concept posted:

I can't really find out much about I-Type other than Impossible makes it - is it solely their invention? And is impossible still the only company making new 600 film?

I-Type appears to be 600 film without batteries (since the cameras it's designed to be used in have batteries of their own).

• Locked thread