Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

I think I am good to go! Just waiting on film.

:stare:
ANDY WARHOL'S PERSONALLY USED POLAROID "BIG SHOT" CAMERA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDY-WARHOLS-PERSONALLY-USED-POLAROID-BIG-SHOT-CAMERA-/331021124025

Oh the dick pix that one has seen....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
The worst part is I just started a personal project on 3000b and was planning to shoot a few boxes a month for the next six months. Guess I will go buy up all the local stock.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

aliencowboy posted:

I'm in the same boat. I ordered 8 boxes earlier. Hopefully it's enough :smith:

In my case it's actually sort of ironic because the project is about the ending of a relationship.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Here's s couple from the project I'm working on. I left a lot of the dust on the scans because it sort of fits in.

itaoh-0001 by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

itaoh-0002 by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

itaoh-0003 by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
One month's worth of 3000b shot so far:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Here's a quick and dirty cell phone shot of probably the best one so far.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 9, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

mr. stefan posted:

This is pretty awesome, thanks! Sadly I have no 4x5 cameras to do this with quite yet, but it's definitely something I'm going to check out.

The problem is your lack of 4x5? Do you have a minute to talk about our lord and savior Chamonix?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

I see your cheese slicer and I raise with this.

Just like my real photos. :smith:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
My Fuji PA145 back has shipped from Japan, soon I will be shooting pack film on a real camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fuuuuuuuck

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I shot a shitload of 3000b in the last 6 months.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Putrid Grin posted:

That looks like few thousand dollars worth of 3000b. Especially at todays prices.

img096 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Most of the film was purchased at my local store, cheaply. I think I would just get sadder if I counted how much money I have spent on it but I shot roughly 30 or 40 boxes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

8th-snype posted:

Most of the film was purchased at my local store, cheaply. I think I would just get sadder if I counted how much money I have spent on it but I shot roughly 30 or 40 boxes.

After scanning all that stuff turns out I shot more like 25 boxes of 3000b on this project.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Nice Street shot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

deaders posted:

Because noone ever looks at your photos?

"The photographer" is merely a social construct.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

unpacked robinhood posted:

literally shaking the rodinal

Ease up if you shake that poo poo like it owes you money your contrast will be terrible.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Finally shot some 4x5 portraits yesterday using my new monolight. Felt pro as hell to take a polaroid test shot and give one to the model. Too bad 100c is smaller so the composition is off.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

Neat, what's your inventory like?

A trailer reeking of whiskey and day old hookers filled to unsafe levels with polaroid cameras covered in intricate dick engravings.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

LargeHadron posted:

I can supply the unsafe levels of dick, you guys take care of the A trailer reeking whiskey and day old hookers filled to with polaroid cameras covered in intricate engravings.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I just used my instax printer to leave a note on the windshield of the Subaru that scratched the hell out of my bumper. Feels good man.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

So you took a photo of your rear end in a top hat and wrote the word you on it?

I took a picture of their rear end in a top hat parking job and taped it with my card to their windshield. If I don't hear back from them in a day or two I will proceed with plan instax goatse, assuming they live around here.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Edward IV posted:

Does anyone have any experience, thoughts, or suggestions on using instant film and a LCD or OLED screen in a contact printing process?

I have a Fujifilm SP-1 printer that I use with my X-T1 and while I like the idea behind it, the process of using it is a little clumsy and slow. The whole process from selecting a photo from the camera to printing the picture takes around 20 seconds which is like an eternity compared to using an Instax camera. (I'm assuming it's faster as I don't have one yet). And during that 20 seconds, my camera is locked out while it's transferring the image to the printer and only becomes useable after it finishes printing so I can miss shots during that time. And the whole function to use the printer is buried in the camera menu. It may be fine to use after a shooting session when you have the time to sit through the whole process but it's cumbersome to use in the middle of a shoot which is where I feel instant film is perfect in. As a result, I barely use it.

Which got me into thinking of trying to make my own using a WiFi SD card to automatically send images to the printer as I shoot and an iPhone 4 screen to expose the whole film instead of line by line in the SP-1. I still need an actual camera to salvage parts off of for managing, developing, and counting the film. And I need to figure out how to control the iPhone screen, especially the backlight, so that I can control the exposure without a physical shutter and prevent undesirable artifacts from getting onto the film.

Why don't you do that but send the images to an android photo and use tasker or something to automate the SP-1 printing process? Because good luck exposing Instax film with a phone screen it's ISO 800.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I guess I just don't see what the problem with it taking 16 seconds is, I mean the real time bottle neck is development not exposure. If you are just making a thing because it's cool to make a thing then rock on but I don't expect it to be better in any functional way compared to just using the printer.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
So you are just gonna carry around a cellphone taped to an arduino taped to a diana instant back and make sure that the phone is never asleep? I just don't see it being practical or taking less over all time to actually make a print. The logistics of using something like that at a dance party (or anywhere tbh) sounds like a nightmare to me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Phone posted:

I saw a Mini 90 hanging around someone's neck in Nara.

By the way, I know it's cheating or whatever, but the SP1 is a great bar companion.

People love it when I get drunk at karaoke night and hand them a print of their singing, I put little moo stickers on the back with my website. It's a great networking tool, I got an offer to shoot some food from a chef last night that I think will be great for my portfolio.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Rastor posted:

Yes, I have mixed feelings because it seems like cheating to digitally expose instant film, but it looks like fun and I kinda want one.

It actually owns. I have an SP-1 and make at least 5 prints at my local bar's karaoke night. People really love them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

feigning interest posted:

ivy was too good for this earth :rip:

Nearly everything is

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I already mostly print in B&W but I'm interested to see if this stuff looks nicer than a B&W image printed on regular instax.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
assuming the 26 is an updated 25:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

:allbuttons:

404notfound posted:

Anybody try the new monochrome Instax film yet?

I ran a pack through my SP1, it looks good but not worth it for printer people who can convert to B&W

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Moatman posted:

Is there any reason why the Instax Mini 8s have been popping up everywhere recently? Like, I walked into Best Buy last week to look at TVs and there was a fuckoff huge stand filled with them right next to the entrance. Like, I didn't even know they still made instant cameras anymore, let alone were selling them in mass market stores

They have actually been insanely popular for many years, Fuji makes more money on Instax than they do on digital photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay! Instax is huge here so I'd rather stick to that (and I'm a Fuji shooter anyway).

How many packs of film would you guys bring to, say, a house party?

I bring 2 to a bar, but I use a printer. If I was shooting in cam instax I'd never leave the house without at least 5 packs.

• Locked thread