Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kinda want the Instax Mini 90 even though it's stupid expensive and I'd probably only pull it out at parties and stuff. Somebody talk me into/out of this irresponsible impulse buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Whitezombi posted:

Buy one. I would if I had the cash.

You make a convincing argument.

Looking around, it seems like so far it's all been import models, and it was slated for an early 2014 US release, and there were some more reviews popping up from as recently as a few days ago. Does this mean it's out stateside now?

Amazon has both an import and non-import model listed (with the non-import significantly cheaper), but I'm not sure how reliable an indicator that is--wouldn't be the first time an identical product had multiple Amazon listings. There's one person claiming that the 15th (today) was the US release date.

I guess I'll wait a few days and see if things sort themselves out.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

welp, I bought it

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Whitezombi posted:

Nice! I may pick one up in a couple of months. How do you like it so far?

Really digging messing around with the bulb and double exposure stuff. I haven't used an instant camera since I was a little kid, so I've forgotten how neat it is to have a physical copy of your picture, right after you take it (and wait for it to develop). People are a lot more open to a selfie with it, too :v: (and the macro mode operates at the perfect distance for that)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

This is one of the double exposures I did. I haven't done many double exposures before, so I just went with the pretty safe trick of black on white plus a pattern to fill in the black.

One thing the mini 90 does is that putting it in macro mode will actually stick a mini-lens into the viewfinder, to correct some of the increased parallax effect that you get from up close. I still kinda missed it a bit (hence the left and bottom edges), but being able to do an instant double exposure is pretty dang neat.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 20, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I know instant photography in this day and age can be a little cheesy, but this is ridiculous! :v:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is Instax film okay to take through an airport x-ray? I believe it's 800 ISO.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Did anyone go in for a Lomo'Instant Wide? I got the kit with the wide-angle and close-up lenses, but I'm not sure how to focus them.

The manual with the kit said the close-up has a set focus distance of 10cm, but is that with the camera's lens itself focused as close as possible? And the part for the wide-angle lens says to set the camera to 0.5m (even though it only goes down to 0.6m) to take pictures at 0.3m with the attachment, and at infinity for "normal" photography. So at one foot I'm focused as close as possible, and anything else I rack it out to infinity?

I don't know if I care for the lomo aesthetic/culture, but at least it's a more versatile camera than the Instax 300, which can't even turn off its flash.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Black and white Instax film coming: http://petapixel.com/2016/09/06/fujifilm-unveils-black-white-instax-mini-film/

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Instax Square coming:

Press release posted:

New Square Format for its instax Series
A new format that drastically enhances the potential of photographic expression of instax
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce that its next generation format “instax SQUARE format film” and “instax SQUARE camera” are currently under development.

With its 1:1 aspect ratio, square format photography is ideal for both portraits and landscapes, and has long been the format of choice for users seeking to enhance their artistic expression. In recent times, the popularity of square format has increased to such an extent that it has become the de facto standard of smartphone cameras and timeline photos on social media platforms.

Fujifilm believes that the instax square format has the potential to drastically evolve the role and presence of instant photography. By adding this new format to the existing mini and wide, a new dimension will be added to the wealth of possibilities of instax photographic expression, users will have a wider choice, and instax cameras and films will be able to respond to a broader range of photographic subjects and situations than ever before.

In addition to the new square format film, a new camera able to fully express the attractions of square format photos is also under development. Further details are available at the below website.

instax SQUARE Special content <instax.com/square/>

Availability: Spring 2017

Features:

instax SQUARE format film:

Image size: Height 62mm × Width 62mm

Photo size: Height 85.6mm × Width 72mm

instax SQUARE format camera: TBD

Fujifilm is committed to offering new products and services that meet various consumer needs by leveraging innovative technological advancements. Fujifilm is also dedicated to enhancing the enjoyment of photography worldwide, and encourages users to experience the value of shooting, preserving, displaying and gifting photo images that deliver the message of “enrich your life with photographs.”

Landing site: http://instax.com/square/

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody try the new monochrome Instax film yet?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the new square instax film and camera yet? Kind of iffy that it's a digital projection onto the film instead of right from the lens and I wanna see if it works out ok

This review on reddit sounds extremely disappointing: https://www.reddit.com/r/instax/comments/6c7az0/instax_sq10_first_impressions_and_issues/

Seems like a really half-assed point-and-shoot. Hopefully they'll release an analog model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pictures of the back show a button that appears to let you turn the flash off, which would be nice since the 300 wide doesn't have that option. It doesn't sound like this one comes with a bulb mode though.

I've already got the mini 90, but this is sorta tempting. The square aspect ratio just feels right to me for instant photography.

• Locked thread