Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TvTropes posted:

Darth Wiki: Obsidian Rhapsody
Obsidian Rhapsody, a project started by Lordnecronus, is a Deconstruction of JRPGs that is both Darker and Edgier and Bloodier and Gorier. Currently, the author is in search of collaborators from TV Tropes; if you're interested in collaborating, then go to this forum thread and post something. If you become one of the collaborators, then bear this list in mind. Use it for ideas.
The plot (at least what has been made up so far) mainly concerns a group of screwed-up "heroes" who are trying to save the world from a deadly disease known only as the "White Death". To save the world from the White Death, they need to protect a girl named Reiko Hanover, who can use an amulet at a special, out-of-dimension fortress named Obsidian to cure the White Death. There is also a race of large, bull-like demons called the Minions who are hunting Reiko. And then there's the Amanian Empire, who are also seemingly after Reiko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TvTropes posted:

Calvin and Hobbes: The Series is a Fan Fic series co-authored by Swing 123 and garfieldodie. It is perhaps the main installment in what is unofficially known as the Calvinverse.
As you can imagine, the idea came about when the authors couldn't help but wonder what the original comic strip would be like if it had been animated. Of course, with Watterson's very strict policy on marketing his work, that likely will never happen in real life. But making fanfiction on the other hand...
The series is best described as a fake Calvin and Hobbes television show, and though it doesn't use traditional Script Fic styling, it has all the hallmarks of one otherwise - in fact, it's incredibly thorough in this regard, with everything from animation notes, a Lemony Narrator, plenty of Medium Awareness, and bonus chapters that collect fake trailers and other such promos.
Its writing style starts out shaky in the first season, but by the second season it crystallizes into its current form - a snarky, troperiffic little series. It also introduces a buttload of Adaptation Expansion.
After a lengthy absence on Swing's page, garfieldodie took over story-posting in Season 5 Part 2, announcing the return of a regular schedule (every Thursday, as of present) and that Season 5 will be the last season. As such, the final story, "Black Rain", concluded on December 3rd, 2013, about eight years after the series began.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TvTropes posted:

Darth Wiki: TV Tropes Wiki Villain Song
Obviously, we of TV Tropes Wiki need our own Villain Song for this page! Let's get to writing one!
More than the Database hates you,
We're sometimes rather cruel,
Not that we want to berate you,
But it's our job to try and rule!
We're worse than the Vampires Datorum,
No spilling our plans while we dine,
We'll smash you into dust and then atoms,
We don't even need to finish this rhyme.
We've all read the Evil Overlord List,
Even made our own additions.
But we're not telling all our best plans,
'till we've beat all into submission!
EVERYBODY!
Simply put, we're the best of the worst of the worst!
Our beauty's sublime and with talents unnumbered we're cursed,
and just so you know, we're doing this number unrehearsed...
we're the best of the best of the worst of the worst!
We'll hug small fuzzy animals
And you will sing our praise
But then we'll do a turnabout
And bring the end of days!
We'll sulk, but we'll turn monsterous
And while we may be oddly kind
But then we will go on a rage
And then we'll crush your mind!
We're manipulative, cunning, and endlessly clever
We're never the person we seem
You're doing exactly what we want right now
Our defeat's only part of our scheme!
Huzzah!

* um can anyone tell me what tune this goes to?
    * no. we're evil like that.
    * Or are we?
    * It's complicated.
    * I suggest UN Owen Was Her.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

If there's one thing Tropers love more than sperging on Tropes, it's "subverting" them.

TvTropes posted:

I mean... UGH.
Someone's face gets smashed in by a bottle early-on, and only goes downhill from there.
Imagine if someone mixed up Schindler's List and Alice in Wonderland together into one film. That would be rather foolish and perverted maddening-of-the-senses wouldn't it? Yet that's Pan's Labyrinth for you!
Seriously, who is the target audience for this? WHO?
It alienates people who want a fantasy/adventure story because it keeps jumping back to a reality where the human heart is at its very darkest with confrontations with fascists and torture scenes. Then it manages to alienate those who want a gritty and serious depiction of a war film, because it keeps jumping back into a children's fairy-tale with magical creatures.
WHO green-lighted this? Its not suitable for children or adults. Who am I supposed to recommend this film to!?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Venusian Weasel posted:

But why would Troopers add Naked Lunch to a list of Good Things? It's literature, so most wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It wouldn't make it on the list, and it's why entries for noted pieces of literature are snotty (where its required reading in school) or non-existent.

Tropers are not citizens of Bizarro World who instantly hate everything you like. They're just dumb teenage nerds and people mentally stuck as dumb teenagers.

Now who wants to see tropers getting angry about Spongebob episodes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/SpongebobSquarepants

said page posted:

Tropers/Aldo930: "Nature Pants" is not a bad episode, but the characters are very OOC. When did SpongeBob want to leave his job to go live among the jellyfish? When did Patrick take the loss of his best friend so badly he decided to make him a trophy? Again, not bad, but the episode suffers because of it.

I am very concerned about the logic of this show about a cartoon sponge.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Testekill posted:

I have to just ask. What is the point? I mean, what would be the point of this ever?

Die Hard was a pretty good movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey did you know that TvTropes classifies Dinosaur Comics as a furry webcomic? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FurryWebcomics

quote:

Dinosaur Comics: Not actually a furry comic in any sense, as it contains no anthropomorphized animals at all! Notable for being the probably only comic in existence to only ever use the same six panels (containing exactly three dinosaurs), despite having literally thousands of strips at this point.

Did you know TvTropes confusingly both does and doesn't classify Dinosaur Comics as a furry webcomic?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel a strange sense of deja vu, as if this same conversation has been had across multiple threads while remaining the same and it is getting boring as gently caress.

Bolt The Pikachu posted:

What would happen if Sonichu was... good?
This is not that answer, but it's the closest one we've got. At least that's what the author thinks. Our story starts out upon the little village of Yellow forest, inhabited by little adorable creatures called Pikachu. All of them named Pikachu for some reason. Most of there hobbies involve running with sharp objects, doing back flips into the local shallow pond, and having staring contests with Bob. That last one doesn't seem to bad until you realize that they named the sun Bob.
Anyway, This story focuses on one Pikachu in particular. You see today is his wedding day. He's getting married to a beautiful female Pikachu. Today is going to be the best day of his life, right?
Wrong.
The alien race known as the Kragdor abduct him and inject him with DNA of several different races, Although, it's mainly Mobian. He reacts unwell to the sudden DNA interjection, and almost kills all of the aliens on the ship and himself. Until of course, a man named T saves him by taking him to the interverse and allow him to stabilize there. After the Pikachu is stabilized he is brought back to his home village. But he is not welcomed back with a smile. In fact, He is outright rejected by his little home village. Everyone hates him. Even his fiance Pikachu. No one wants a freak like that around, right?
Not exactly. The man who rescued him, T, offers him something. A sort of job. T works for God Himself as a Guardian of sorts. His latest job is trying to take down the Kragdor and their leader, the Dictator, from taking over the Multiverse. Anyways, T offers the Pokémobian, to come with him to help take down the Dictator. The Pikachu, having nowhere else to go, takes T up on his offer and renames himself Bolt.

This is a goldmine guys.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fuego Fish posted:

Clicking the "open/close all folders" button repeatedly and watching the scroll bar go from chunky to ant-sized is so loving funny.

It's the little things that make life worth living.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
From what I understand that page is very based on pre-2008 SA, which is different from SA now.

And then these threads happened, so you're basically never gonna get an unbiased opinion of SA from TvTropes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

corn in the bible posted:

He is also not good.

nah

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So did that guy make his own page? I have difficulty understanding why anyone else would.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

It's nice to see Ulillillia's extended family branching out.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Improbable Lobster posted:

sounds like a bad attempt at sounding like a Gurren Lagann character.

That's pretty much exactly what it was, given that Gurren Lagann is still kinda holy writ for the internet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They claim to be an academic resource. What's the last encyclopedia or dictionary you saw with a "just for fun" page?

A whole lot of problems could be solved if the moderation stopped pretending this was true. Because the lay-troper obviously doesn't give a gently caress.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

rjryan3 posted:

But why him? Of all the people who do these internet shows about childhood memories why is tvtropes mostly focus on him? Why doesn't tvtropes have this same fixation on James Rolfe? And more importantly why the hell are they acting like the Nostalgia Critic is all about this emotional character study of the title role and not about a guy making jokes about lovely children films?

He's the biggest internet critic in the world currently so he's the one who gets all the obsession. The Nerd's ship has kinda sailed.

Which is kind of like being the richest busboy but whatever.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's a song about affecting emotional detachment, not about- god drat stop projecting your bullshit onto everything.

The song does draw on the same "I don't wanna go out and face the world so I'm just gonna retreat inside myself" thing that motivates shut-ins.

Their is still the problem of just calling the trope The Shut-In and not dragging Deep Understanding of Japanese Culture into it, of course.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't understand why you can't just jerk off to things instead of making them deep and meaningful.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Nerdy teenagers.

That's the explanation for most questions in this thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Byde posted:

Has anybody who talks about these animes ever mentioned any specific examples of why these things are god's gift to storytelling and not just say "I dunno, it's deep, metaphor against fascism, it's dark and people die which is real-lifey even though real-life is secretly filled with the guys from V/Terminators/Thought Police/Illuminati/Bydo/Animorphs/etc while we basement dwellers are the real champions of human life and anyone sane is the real subhuman trash."

I've never heard anyone say that.

Except maybe /pol/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Also weeaboos tend to like Mario.

It's whatever FPS is currently popular that they hate.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Mark Twain said it best. "Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." The same can be applied to stories.

Yeah gently caress you Aristotle's Poetics.

Tvtropes is not Aristotle.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Englishman alone posted:

Unless I'm missing something The Reluctant Fundamentalist, is also second person as the whole story is directed to the reader and the only one I can think of at the moment. Also is second person the same as a dramatic monologue in poetry.
Here's its depressingly short page
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheReluctantFundamentalist
I wonder if it has any analysis Nope

Pages like that are generally the result of one guy who saw it, liked it enough to make a trope page for it, and then moved on.

The analysis page thing only ever happens with massively popular nerd stuff like MLP or Homestuck.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Punting posted:

I think the worst thing about that stupid loving story is the absolutely laughable 'scientific rationality' that the author tries to portray.

Harry's response to magic: "BLARGH BLARGH HOW DARE YOU VIOLATE THE SACRED AND IMMUTABLE COMMANDMENTS OF SCIENCE WITH YOUR MAGIC LET ME EXPLAIN WHY YOU ARE WRONG."

Actual rational scientist's response to magic: "This is some extremely interesting phenomena, let's run some tests and see if we can't come up with some new physics models that allow for these events."

The guy legit thinks that his form of Bayesianism is better than science.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Right-wing members of Less Wrong have also formed their own sister site

http://www.moreright.net/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Joshlemagne posted:

Wait a pinball section? A pinball section!? Web comics and fan fiction were bad enough but I think something just broke in my brain. I think I'm going to find an appropriate trope and add a "stuff scribbled on the back of a bar napkin" section. No such thing as notability.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheUglyBarnacle

This is a joke page.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Isn't the point of freezing your body that future AI's can't break time and do that?

Wait, that's just me expecting consistency again.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Would a dedicated LW mock thread be a good idea, or is this the only allowed mock thread on PYF?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't think Yudkowsky has outright said that AIs will torture you if you don't give him money, but he does say you are an ethical monster deathist if you aren't doing everything you can to hasten friendly AI.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wales Grey posted:

Only insofar as some neo-reactionaries want society to be ruled by an immortal and perfect philosopher-king AI. IIRC, the neo-reactionaries who showed up on LessWrong got booted out and made their own warren of inane sophistry called "MoreRight".
It's closer than you'd think. Konkvistador and Mike Annisimov were big posters on LW and they didn't get chased out so much as get tired of being contradicted. Less Wrong poster Yvain made an anti-reactionary FAQ to justify not being one. They're a minority, but a loud and respected one

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

:psyduck:

I really wish I could say more but goddamn, those posts.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

corn in the bible posted:

but the bible is long and also a book

Fixed that for you

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Rick Springfield is my favorite troper.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Byde posted:

Speaking of which, is Xenogears supposed to be a homage to Evangelion? They both have all the same qualities of each other: giant robots, emo, bible references, Adam and Eve, crazy girls, pretentiousness, problems during production, etc. etc.

It's probably because Christianity is an exotic religion most people in Japan don't follow, so you can throw in bullshit references to sound deep and no one is going to get angry or call you on it.

It's the same over here with Zen/Hinduism/all the other assorted forms of Buddhism/Taoism

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I got to sleep over in a museum when I was a kid, it was pretty sweet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Swan Oat posted:

I don't know why I'm surprised at least one black metal fan reads TVT, but I guess I am.

I'd be more surprised if at least one didn't.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HorseRenoir posted:

What is it about metal that attracts sperglords? I've never seen punk or hip-hop fans as anal and dorky as metalheads.

I have no idea and we are not the ones to question it.

Anyway have a blast from the past of 2008 https://web.archive.org/web/20081218133530/http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/ComplainAboutShowsYouDontLike

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tunicate posted:

The complaint is that it isn't meaningful, it was contrived and lovely.

Like most of the rest of the book, actually.

Yeah that last book was just bullshit. It's funny that the series became just as obnoxiously messagey as Narnia did towards the end.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Any time Christianity is depicted on television, its representative is almost invariably a Straw Character, from the nutty religious fanatic to someone with only nominal convictions. It is exceptionally rare to see an openly Christian character who is smart, likable, and a competent defender of his faith.

Oh hey is it Protestant Persecution Complex time? It looks like it's Protestant Persecution complex time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Swan Oat posted:

There is a link to a scribd document of all the troper tales in the OP.

Didn't a goon try reading the Methods of Rationality in one of the last threads?

Also, what constitutes a well-filled set of panties? On second thought, maybe it's best if that goes unanswered...

Namtab(I think?) tried, but it was too lovely to get through.

So is there enough interest in a LW mock thread to get one going? Because I might make the OP if no one else feels like it.

• Locked thread