Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

SirSamVimes posted:

Not going to lie, that was a thing of beauty.

Yeah I was going to say, thank you LoB that was the funniest, most surreal obsessive nerd circlejerking I will ever experience. Just a link would just not have had the same impact

irl couldn't breathe for a good 30s there as I was scrolling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This doesn't even make any sense. If it doesn't exist how can it even have tropes?

Not just tropes, but quotes. Pages and pages of badass action lines and catchphrases taken from the pages of books THAT DO NOT EXIST.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Xander77 posted:

My understanding is that "said" went out of fashion a few decades back, and every writing authority suggested using synonyms. It's back in fashion at the moment, and presumably tropers are just trying to anticipate the trend when it becomes unfashionable once more.

it's a filler word, useful for tying speaker to phrase but totally worthless otherwise. In most cases you can safely discard it as a good writer can make it obvious without incessant repetition who is speaking but in scenes with more than a handful of characters you might need to fall back on it to clarify. Even then though, it's only there as a side note to indicate whose speaking, most readers will barely register that the word is there.

The problem is tropers never learned the first part where you avoid using it as much as possible, and instead just pepper synonyms all over which is just as useless as using 'said" would've been. Unless there is a specific meaning to be shown by the way a character spoke, said works fine, and as stated, probably shouldn't be there if it can be avoided.

Quinctia posted:

Eh, I think it's a nuance that a lot of bad writers don't understand. In a well written conversation, you don't actually need to attribute dialogue every other line. He said/she said/he said/she said, etc. The answer isn't to replace the attribution with said/queried/quipped/declared, it's to write more smoothly so you're not ending every sentance of dialogue with "pronoun-speaking verb."

e; fb

At least I know SA actually knows stylistic guidelines.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 15, 2014

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

SodomyGoat101 posted:

You'd think that as hosed up as Tropers are, they'd know more about de Sade. Dude was messed up, but he wasn't arrested for some massive rape-spree. He was arrested for spanking a prostitute and then later for non-lethal poisoning (Spanish fly) and sodomy with his manservant. Also the letters between de Sade and his mother-in-law are loving hilarious.

SodomyGoat101 teaching the history of bdsm itt :allears:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

If I don't know it was tropers writing it and probably getting it all wrong that description of Buffy would put me off ever watching it ever

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Anticheese posted:

The Charlie Stross novel that came out a few days ago has a newly-minted vampire freaking out and looking up his condition on wikipedia and tvtropes.

Said vampire is a complete shut-in who's only lived for work and study, blaming his lack of success with women on imagined halitosis instead of never actually doing anything.

That actually sounds like it could be amazing :allears:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

What does "lampshades the aversion" mean again?

oh good the tropes are going recursive

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I see the link to his old thread has already been posted, but long story short, J-F Bibeau is a majestically dysfunctional weeaboo who, like so many other delusional nerds on the Internet, decided to write and self-publish the NEXT BIG FANTASY NOVEL. What makes him, and it, special is the sheer mass of his delusion and the sheer unreadability of his prose. I've owned a copy of Felsic Current for over a year and have never gotten more than ten pages in.

Honestly, I've been considering launching a Let's Read thread to force myself to actually read the drat thing and share the wonder with the forums. The only thing holding me back is the lack of a digital copy and the lack of desire to type in paragraphs of Bibeau-prose; I'm legitimately considering buying a second copy and having it digitized for this purpose. Good thing there are still affordable copies used!

I support this 100% and will gladly join in because horrible poo poo read outloud is pretty much always hilarious.

No doubt to punish the hubris of that statement, Felsic will be the exception to it

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Wait it's a story about people playing and getting trapped in an mmo or whatever?

It sounds like a lovely rip-off of dotHack

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

I only processed like 1% of that as I scrolled by but the words and sentences I did see were very alarming :catstare:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Hammurabi posted:

Well, you could start with Sign. I think it's good, but, as mentioned, it does move a bit slowly. So, alternately, you could start with the original four-game series (.hack//Infection, .hack//Mutation, .hack//Outbreak, and .hack//Quarantine).

Animatrix owned and I will not hear anything to the contrary. :colbert:

My favourite was the part where they trick machines to fall in love with them.

.Hack//Sign was a bit slow yeah. Makes up for it with a sublime soundtrack.
Except for the opening theme which has good music but whose lovely Japanese-trying-to-write-english lyrics are just loving hysterical

the direction of relieving...

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

After the hilarious spectacle that was Dashcon, I can't help but wonder if Tropers every tried to do a big meet up.

The results could only be amazing :allears:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

the "Tumblr" convention. It's as dumb as it sounds.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650030&pagenumber=5&perpage=40

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Tracula posted:

-Auties, Aspies

It's Autists! Goddamn can tropers do nothing right! :argh:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

MGTen posted:

Really work on all of this? You could have an interest take on how our ideas about addiction and drug culture have developed and informed other works. That's a useful idea. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure TVTropes is fundamentally opposed to being useful.

I am glad you said this, because I find Death of the Author to be useful and interesting when you are trying to make a point using a work, but it's worthless if you just use it to make something 'edgier' like tropers do by interpretating sexual poo poo into everything.

Like with the Wonka drug interpretation. If you just leave it as that without expanding on the ideas like you mentioned in the part I quoted, then what's the message of the story, what's the point of Charlie's journey? That drugs are great and the poor should sign up to become dealers since they will have the moral fortitude to resist the temptations? A person is free to make that point, but the whole of the interpretation becomes a lot harder to make fit on those grounds once you follow through on it.

What it boils down to is really the same it always is with Tvtropes; their writing had no meaning. To them, all writing and narratives are just stuff happening, there's no flow or purpose beyond a simple chain of events.

Which is fine for stuff like Role-playing, but not something that works for an actual, satisfying story.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's worth having a look at this fic. It's really something.

I hate this sentence. It's self-consciously quirky and trying to ape Pratchett/Douglas Adams, but it's so overwrought. Da Vinci is two words. The Vitruvian man is not sprawled, he's very precisely positioned (and has four arms and legs).

It's a murder story! Talk about the body! I don't give a poo poo about fashion trends. Your characters don't care about the Vitruvian man, I don't care about suits, why are you telling me this.

Also the story is called Death by Choclate. It's advertised as a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fic. It's clearly loving Chocolate. But the author keeps calling it "brown stuff" multiple times a paragraph for the entire first chapter, in a pointless attempt to squeeze some mystery out of things.

Later on, at the opening of a new Willy Wonka store:

Congrats, you have a thesaurus and looked up "portending".

:fuckoff:

There's also a youtube read through. Not and Eye of Argon piss-take, but a serious one from an out of breath guy who fumbles his lines and can't say "chided"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKMKDYcaM4o&t=46s

That is the voice of someone who does not talk to people very often

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

what the gently caress is Ho yay

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oddly enough, her writing for Gears of War 3 isn't that bad.

This statement is highly suspect after how badly written Gears 2 was

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

These people are so, so broken

It's a toss up between them and Bitcoiners for kings of internet isolation

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

BlueDude posted:

Speaking of children's telelvision:

:dawkins101:

I don't even know what to say. The mere fact that people out there actually think like this... earnestly depresses me.

And here I thought nothing could make veggie tales worse

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

:stonk: containment breached! Containment breached! One of ours has fallen

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

Makes me wonder if there's a connection between autism and fascism.

This is a fruitful and productive path for discussion

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't think that I've ever seen a review before that completely omitted any specifics at all about its object and its judgement. Does this even count as one?

It's strange, I don't disagree with the overall assessment (great gatsby is boring and shallow) and yet, I know that the tropers understanding of it is wrong. It seems inherent to them.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

So are all presidents just action heroes then?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Quinn's ex posted a list of dirty laundry about their relationship, including allegations that she slept around with other guys, one of whom happened to be a contributor to Kotaku. Gamers being the rabid misogynists they are, they dogpiled on her and claimed she was one of the main reasons for the corruption of gaming journalism*.

Yes, this is all exactly as pathetic as it sounds.

Highlights since then include Quinn posting IRC logs from 4chan that proved it was all a set-up (with channers then posting them in their entirety to try discrediting her :lol:), right-wing blogs trying to get in on the action to sway gamers over to their POV, and some movement to have a mass exodus from 4chan.

*Side note: the guy she was alleged to have slept with never wrote any reviews for her game.

oh Jesus christ that's even dumber than I realized. From what sense I reluctantly made of the background noise chattering about it, they made it sound like she had 100% slept with a reviewer in exchange for positive press. I was skeptical about it but at least if it's true than r
there is SOMETHING here to get people riled up. Of course in reality it's all bullshit extrapolation, assumption and lies pounced on by the scum of the earth, MRA gamers.

gently caress this manbaby earth jfc

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Ugh, gently caress you Japan

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

'shows itself as'??

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Lamprey Cannon posted:

There is one of his stories, "The Horror at Red Hook", where the 'horror' is just the protagonist seeing a bunch of non-white people walking down the street. Of course, later it turns out that all of them are part of some evil underground cult thing, but he freaks out about them way before he finds that out.

Guess I'm unliking Lovecraft on my FB Jesus christ.

oh well, death of the author and such

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

thanks for ruining one of the stories I really liked guys :saddowns:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

BlueDude posted:

(Frankly, that Daring Do incident a while back proved it better than anything else could.)

I don't care what anyone says that remains the funniest part of this whole goddamn nightmare of a thread

the impotent begging at the tsunami of worthless words, goddamn lol

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

SolTerrasa posted:

It actually crashes the Awful App (at least, on a Nexus 5). So yeah, please don't.

yeah it crashed mine too. And posting it again just wouldn't have the same impact, but that first time Ahahahaha
a link just wouldn't have been the same, to truly experience the sheer level of pointless bullshit that :tvtropes: produced there

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

There was one about an AI on datatapes that could only remember the last 10 minutes because of its limited ram, until it talked to this other anomalous dudething and from then on it would ask to talk to that guy when it was turned on.

That one was pretty good

Then I read another one about this zone zone that gives everything 'personhood', not like things talk, you just get the sense that everything is a person while you are in it, or something like that. That's when I stopped reading entries.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

Haha, I quite liked that one. What's the ratio of good ones to poo poo ones like?

yeah seconding this the commie spiders are a good read

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Political Whores posted:

From Wikipedia

:psyduck:

Thos reads exactly like what a Troper would pen if they ever actually bothered to write

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Dabir posted:

Didn't the Ancient Greeks consider hope to also be one of the curses of mankind?

no, it's an alternate reading; either hope comes out of the box because Zeus wasn't a total jerk, or Pandora closes the box before the last curse, foresight, escapes, since then people would all live knowing exactly when they would die and hope would cease, because Zeus was a total jerk.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Pulsedragon posted:

I dunno, I remember reading somewhere that in Japan the cops call beforehand to schedule their raids on Yakuza spots, so I mean, it might actually be that bad.

Yeah, same goes for Sumo apparently. Once upon a time organized crime was a pretty big influence in North American politics (obligatory :quebec: joke here :v:), but circumstances like cold war paranoia erode that. That's not the case everywhere though.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 17, 2014

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Like so much else on the site, it's probably just completely fabricated one-upmanship.

yeah, they're lying, trying to be the most tropey of them all.

They all wish they weren't real people. Very nihilistic when you think about it.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

wait, roller coasters?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

Not everything needs to be troped, tropers.

That is where they vehemently disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Tvtropes is funny for the same reason the Fplus and ThisTroper are, people writing terrible poo poo without irony and not understanding why it's terrible, and often thinking they are the best at whatever they are writing about.

Dunning-Kruger is the best kind of Kruger

• Locked thread