Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm a Canadian living in the US (4+ years), and thinking about returning to Canada. I'd like to figure out what shape my credit is in after the time away, but I haven't figured out how to get a credit score as a non-resident. Both Equifax and TransUnion want CCs with Canadian billing addresses, as far as I can tell.

Is there another avenue for this stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guest2553 posted:

Did you have any active Canadian accounts? I am moving back to Canada after four years in the US and still have a decent beacon score. That said, I was in the US for work and had an open bank account I transferred money to sometimes. The mortgage broker on the phone running my credit said he could pull my US one and take it as equivalent if needed, so it sounds like that might be an option.

Yeah, have semi-active chequing account (open, but only a few transactions/year bouncing money to relatives or such) and some investment accounts. My US score isn't great because I underuse credit, but it might be better than nothing.

How did you find out your score? Do you have a Canadian billing address for a card? I could change the billing address for a card to be a Canadian friend's, I guess, but blech.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't suppose anyone knows of a good Excel formula/snippet for calculating Canadian income tax? I just want "total after tax for Ontario with personal exemption amounts", everything as simple income. It should work in Google Docs. I found one for 2009 but it's a big messy form, and I want a way to apply it to a bunch of places in a sheet. Basically the EY calculator for excel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mantle posted:

Not what you asked for but would the simpletax.CA/calculator work for you?

No, I have an existing spreadsheet that spits out "pre-tax income" in a bunch of places, and I want to add cells that show after-tax income.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kal Torak posted:

I'm not sure how complicated you want it to be, but this might help:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...uHEt41xiSGTNP_Q

The tax rates are old but could be updated. It walks you through step by step how you would calculate tax and shows you the formulas.

I can work from that, I think; thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

So the lovely Canadian Forces gave me my stupid loving pension money that I paid in back as a locked in rrsp. Is there any way I can use the stupid piece of poo poo awful locked in rrsp for the first time home buyers plan?

No, but you might be able to transfer some of it to a regular RRSP as I understand it.

E: depends on your province: http://www.taxtips.ca/pensions/rpp/unlockingrpp.htm

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's only 8k in the locked in RRSP, so the fact that I cannot touch this until I am 65 really chaps my rear end.

What province are you in?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I do but I'm saving that for when I retire. I figured one 8-9k rrsp that I can't touch until I'm 65 wouldn't really matter. But thanks for being a douchebag, it really adds a lot!

At 4% that's about $35K when you retire, or a year of retirement on the average Canadian retiree's budget. FWIW.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar posted:

I'm assuming that he is trying to imply that RRSP allocation should be weighed towards income generating assets like dividend funds.

Why?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That says the opposite:

quote:

All the tax-inefficient bonds are now safely in your RRSP, while the US stocks are in your non-registered account, where the foreign withholding taxes on dividends are recoverable and you can benefit from tax-loss harvesting.

The only mention of dividends says to put outside the RRSP, no?

But if we're tossing around links instead of writing explanations, I offer http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/investment-ideas/beware-of-these-three-rrsp-myths/article9235153/?service=mobile

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Baronjutter posted:

People seem to think they're as rich as their net-worth and spend accordingly.

To be fair, isn't "high net worth" a very common definition of "rich"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar posted:

Most people treat worth as income.

Huh. If I asked "so what's he worth anyway" I would expect an answer like "$2M" not "$200K/year". Maybe a regional variation?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I was in the US and made a large (for me!) donation to a Canadian charity, there was a foundation that would basically accept it as an eligible US donation (deductible) and then pay out 95% of it to the Canadian charity. It let me get a tax deduction for a donation across the border.

Does anyone know of something that works the other way? To wit: a donation to a registered US charity, deductible against Canadian taxes? The charity is a college, if that matters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They need to be registered in Canada, except that you can claim donations to US charities against US-sourced income (which I don't expect to have).

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p113/p113-e.html#P99_6372 has the details.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What tax issues would you encounter from holding Canadian funds?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unless he's withdrawing from the RRSP there's no income anyway, and RRSPs don't require reporting under FBAR. Even outside of the RRSP context, proceeds earned from Canadian securities as a US resident just gets you a 1099-INT and it's trivial to include alongside US-sourced investment 1099s.

I don't know of any US investment service that manages RRSP accounts though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lexicon posted:

Is this true even in the context of securities held at a Canadian institution?

(trying to formulate a plan of action for my non-reg holdings for if/when I move to the US)

Yes, I kept mine with a Canadian institution.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Time to go back to Toronto?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I should probably just ask an accountant, but:

I bought an asset as a US resident. I will sell it at a capital loss as a Canadian resident, albeit in a year in which I spent the majority of my time in the US (but will be in Canada on Dec 31). Can I claim that against Canadian taxes? I don't have capital gains to offset in the US.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lexicon posted:

Holy poo poo - ask an accountant.

You take all the fun out of taxes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

Haven't you heard? The CRA doesn't care about foreign income plutocrats

Can I quote you in my return?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you telling me to just misreport? Bold.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You're not selling it, you're trading N units of VCE for M units of something else. Which do you expect to be more valuable in 5 years?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LTCG exemption only applies to qualifying small business proceeds, no? I don't think the Trudeaus are investing in many of those and holding for two years. Maybe a little angel investing. They can't use the LTCG against typical investment income.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Oh yep, you are right, I didn't realize that.

It's mostly useful for families that actually run a family business, because when they sell it they can each claim the 800K against their portion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

Do I need to sell the company to get the exemption? or can I merely run it at an operating loss for a couple years and shutter it like the rest of the professional industry to save on taxes?

You need to have a capital gain if you want to use the capital gain exemption.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

Couldn't the company just hold unsheltered investments for the duration I've set out though? That would get to the point where I would have capital gains, and I could issue dividends to family and flow back to me?

No, the company for which the sale proceeds are exempt needs to use 90% of its assets in carrying on an active business in Canada. The regs aren't hard to read, it's all in there.

How would you have capital gains from the company holding investments, anyway? You didn't buy them, you're not selling them. They would be taxed in the hands of the company, and then again as ineligible dividends (grossed-up and discounted, per usual) if you decided to move the money out that way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DariusLikewise posted:

My companies private stock plan qualifies for the LTCP exemption and I buy so much of that poo poo :gizz: (along with other diversified investments)

Is there a liquid market for it? That's great if so (and if you hold for 24 months before selling).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's fantastic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The market seems to be growing?

What do people think of whole life insurance, for someone who is maxing their other tax-exempt options?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the talent deficit posted:

whole life insurance can be useful for estate planning but as far as i know there's no way to gain a tax advantage from life insurance as an individual

Yes, it would be for estate planning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

grack posted:

Do not EVER buy Whole Life insurance as an investment vehicle.

Only buy permanent insurance if you actually have a need for the insurance product. Even if the gains are tax-exempt the fees (not to mention the absolutely horrendous returns) make it in no way worthwhile.

Thanks. I may have need for the insurance product, which is how I started looking at it in the first place. I guess there's no substitute for doing a bunch of math.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mantle posted:

If you rebalance more frequently, you're not giving your performing asset classes room to run.

Wouldn't that argue for never rebalancing, or treating rebalancing as "timing the market"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blah_blah posted:

This should not be surprising, since the current price of a stock is more or less the net present expected value of the future dividends of a stock.

That doesn't seem right, practically. Many stocks don't pay dividends, but still climb in price. Shouldn't GOOG be priced at $0, since there are no known plans for it to pay a dividend? Or does the NPEV in this case include some prediction that they will start to?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lexicon posted:

Correct. It's NPV of all future cash flows (some of which is probabilistic), not dividends.

What other cash flows are expected from, e.g., GOOG?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lexicon posted:

The cash received from selling the stock itself down the line.

Oh, of course!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cowofwar posted:

Has she considered a chinese-canadian real estate ponzi scheme? They are pretty popular right now.

The Chinese are very private about their finances, answering that question would go against their culture.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What are people doing for executors of their wills? It seems like a crappy thing to stick a friend or relative with, even though I don't anticipate any family conflict. My bank (RBC) offers an executor service, but 3% of the estate is pretty steep.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I strongly suspect it would be. I'll look into that, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's pretty simple. Took about 20 mins to do 5 accounts for me and my wife, 17 years ago.