Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

"Perfectly fine" as in nearly 2x the MER, plus you get condescended on to the point you can't choose your own portfolio allocation without going through a questionnaire?

Sign me up. :yum:

They don’t do that if you get a direct investing account IIRC, but ETF’s are the way to go regardless, especially with no fee purchases on Questrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

PoizenJam posted:

I invested for the first time this year, opening both a TFSA and an RRSP through Questrade. I do not yet see this information reflected in my 'CRA My Account', though I am able to download slips for the RRSP contributions through Questrade. I have not really been able to find any consistent information on how Questrade communicates with CRA or SimpleTax to disclose this information.

Will this prevent me from filing my taxes, or is everything on the up-and-up so long as my declarations and deductions are correct? Is there any way to upload the contribution slips for the RRSP to SimpleTax or CRA My Account?

Not a tax season concern, but if you’ve made the tfsa contribution in 2022, the CRA won’t find out about that until Q1 2023. Make sure you’re tracking TFSA contributions yourself to avoid exceeding any limits there, regardless of what shows on the CRA site.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

LeninVS posted:

Hello, hoping for a bit of help. I'm brand new at all of this.

I currently don't have any TFSAs, and I have a RRSP that my company matches 5% of my salary into. So far this is my only retirement savings. I am 33 years old.

I have no debt to speak of other than my mortgage, which is nearly paid off due to being incredibly lucky with a house sale and downsizing.

I'm thinking of opening a TSFA with someone with zero commission on buying ETFs and throwing money at coach potato portfolio. Is this still recommended for someone that doesn't want to pay a ton of attention to trades and stocks?

Am I missing any crucial steps here?

Still perfectly valid IMO. Questrade is still a good option with no fee ETF purchases (sell on sale only).

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

DariusLikewise posted:

Does anyone know if there’s changes coming to TD E-Series. My TD advisor called me for the first time in 7 years and said it’s important to come down and talk about my investments.

If memory serves, they’ve discontinued the e-series mutual fund account. You need one of the TD Direct Investing accounts now to purchase.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

So I already an active mutual fund account with TD but I want to start trading my stock holdings more often and adding to them.

What is the best platform for that at this point. Wealthsimple seems fine if I just want to play around but the fact it seems limited to the US and Canada is a huge drawback to me. Are any of the other online platforms any good.

I’ve read IBKR is still the choice if you’re going to buy overseas stocks, but doublecheck the fees. It can become extortionate level, though I think all the major players allow it. I’m with TD Direct Investing now, but I liked the Questrade platform as well.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

Can you buy GICs at IBKR?

I don’t think so looking at the site, but full disclosure I’ve never used that platform personally. All the major banks again will allow access to at least their GIC’s via their brokerages, but I’ve mostly just used EQBank for GIC’s.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
You definitely can get leniency from the CRA. I over-contributed to my TFSA over 2 tax seasons, and sent a letter of apology (and also a payment cheque just in case) when doing taxes each year. In both cases, they did cash the cheque at first, but eventually refunded me the penalty amount.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Anyone use Canadian Western Banks online subsidiary, Motive financial?

They seem to have a good high interest savings rate (standard, everyday not promo).

Only thing that seems bad with them is their app supposedly sucks rear end, but I don't use phone apps so it doesn't really bother me. I haven't really found much else about them.

Anyone have experience with them?

I switched from EQB to Motive for a savings acct and you’ve hit the key points: the app is trash. I had to send a void cheque so that I could pull money to my chequing acct at another bank as well, it is definitely old software. The only other item is that there’s only 2 free withdrawal transactions per month, but this doesn’t impact me at all.

But hey, 4.1% ain’t bad to put up with some minor inconvenience.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
I have never tried to open a US account and can't help there, but Wise doesn't need a US chequing account to hold funds unless there's some limitation I'm missing. I've had both USD & CAD on my Wise account directly, albeit only for short term purposes.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Yeah I suppose I could do that, I was hoping I could just make it easy, ah well.

One of them is a real pain because they didn't break it out cleanly due to it being a pension plan.

I'm fairly sure my new employer didn't deduct enough for the first couple amounts so I want to minimize that if possible, I saved all the extra so I'm fine to cover it.

With RRSP at least you have a grace of $2k over the limit before they will actually penalize you, although I can't recall if that is lifetime or not, either way best to be avoided and sum the totals manually. TFSA, any overage is penalized when the CRA catches it (as I found out).

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

So my employer for most of last year is being extremely slow with T4s and this is bugging me.

Related question, how does RPP factor into RRSP contribution room? Are they the same or totally different? This employer was doing RPP, and I can see how much was contributed for all of 2023. My new employer is regular RRSP so I have that sheet for the tail end of 2023. I just want to bring my taxes down the maximum amount because it sounds like due to the new company under with-holding on the signing bonus I might trip some thing where I will go on instalments for future years even though I will just pay the taxes required on filing.

Employer pension contributions in the year generally show up as a pension adjustment on that year’s T4 for my DB pension, which will reduce RRSP room for the year following. I think it’s the same for DC and DB but never checked both to confirm.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

We used to have our liquid cash savings in a Simplii High Interest (cough) account for several years. When interest rates were super low, I understood rate at the bank being fairly low, but they never raised them any appreciable amount with the prime increases. So late last year, I think Nov, I moved it over to Motive Financial @ 4.1%.

Got our T5s on Friday. I received almost 2x the interest $$ in 2 months from Motive than I did in the 10 months with Simplii.

Since then the only thing I keep active at Simplii is my general chequing account because gently caress that.

Yeah, Motive has one of the most budget interfaces I’ve seen in banking, but as someone trying to save a down payment, can’t beat the rate right now.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

They're like holding a bond directly, yeah. Different from a bond fund. I'd put them under "cash" when considering overall allocation.

Bond funds go under "stocks" in my head. I may have a jaundiced view of things though.

I think main thing with GIC, you are getting your principal back with interest. When you’re getting a bond fund (or an ETF balancing some percentage of bonds and stocks), you will see the bond portion of portfolio reduce in value when interests rate increase. You can look at a bond ETF like ZAG after 2021/22 and see how that ended up impacted when rates bounced up.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Killingyouguy! posted:

Way ahead of you

I know it hasn't been updated in a while, but the Canadian Couch Potato site will still likely give you the best intro summary to pretty basic ETF investing, along the lines of questions about stock/bond balance, and some of the associated risks and assumptions.

https://canadiancouchpotato.com

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Jenkl posted:

I'm not familiar with TD but what I've seen elsewhere is the fees come from the account the trade is being made in.

And yep, that's the idea re: units. I'd be looking to buy 183 units. You do also need to have that commission/fee available to pay as well, if applicable (but the remainder is enough.in this case).

No you don't need to hold cash to cover the MERs. The ETFs MER is embedded in the unit-value - the company that "creates" the ETF takes this out during their process. It never happens in practice, but hypothetically, if literally nothing changed, the ETF value would go down slowly over time, as the fund manager takes their cut.

Yeah this is correct. If you are only going to be buying/rebalancing something like $5k once per year, the $9.99 transaction fee isn't that big a deal.

TD also offers some broad market E-series funds which can be bought in the TD DI account, but do not have a purchase/sale fee. They do have a slightly increased MER compared to some of the equivalent ETF funds, and need more work to rebalance depending on what your target is. But again, if you are doing a one year lump sum, probably just worth sticking with a familiar ETF like VGRO, VBAL, or similar.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Nofeed posted:

Opposing perspective:

XGRO also makes quarterly distributions, that's now an additional 30 dollars a year at best. Honestly :10bux: to purchase ETFs is highway robbery and unless there is a VERY compelling reason to stay with that brokerage I'd be getting the hell out of there as quickly as I can.

Questrade will happily reimburse you for up to $150/account of transfer fees, and allow you to use Passiv Elite to make one-click purchases. It might seem like a small deal for a one-fund portfolio, but anything that makes it easier to make good decisions (get your money invested back into the market ASAP) is worthwhile, especially at the low low cost of... free. They'll also email you when any new money hits the account, so you can log in, press a button, and have your portfolio topped up without any math or trying to remember how to place orders.

Yeah, on $5k, that fee is an instant loss of 0.2% on the contribution, but less on the portfolio as it is growing. I can’t be bothered personally at this point, but I understand that (but also have used Questrade for years as well, and it’s also fine).

I will say I like the research stuff within TD DI, but if not interested in that, I don’t think there’s any other value add compared to Questrade.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer
I’d just say investing solely in the S&P 500 is an active bet that the US market continues to boom as it has in the past set of years. This is a deviation from passive investment “guidelines” fwiw, although only a concern if you care about that kind of thing.

tragic_ethos fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 16, 2024

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

Is there an ETF for like "these companies don't do dividends just stock buybacks" as that would be the thing you'd want for a TFSA, setting aside the whole fact that you will narrowed your portfolio in a weird way by doing this and could be sub optimal for that reason.

Casual google reveals nothing.
Edit There's this but i dunno if it excludes dividend stocks https://www.invesco.com/us/financial-products/etfs/product-detail?audienceType=Investor&ticker=PKW

Lol Apple is one of the biggest buy backers and does dividends too.

Eh, I'm still generally of the mind that worrying about dividend withholding for US stuff is pretty marginal in terms of total gains. The current average yield of S&P 500 tickers is 1.84% per Google, it sucks to be sub-optimal obviously, but likely not worth much mental expense if we're talking a 0.2 to 0.3% loss each year (ie. taking a 30% withholding hit on US dividends rather than 15%).

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

Here's a cost benefit analysis of a hypothetical $200k portfolio fully invested in XAW (https://www.blackrock.com/ca/investors/en/products/272108/ishares-core-sp-us-total-market-index-etf).

Say $100k is in the TFSA and $100k is in the RRSP. Only the $100k in the RRSP can be optimized. Of the $100k of XAW in the RRSP, only 64% ($64k) of that is in US domiciled equities, made up of IVV (54%), ITOT, (4%), IJH (4%) , and IJR (2%). The optimization would be to replace those US domiciled equities with their equivalent funds held in USD.

Those $64k in equities currently pay 12m trailing yield of:
$729 = $54k * 1.35% (IVV)
$54 = $4k * 1.38% (ITOT)
$280 = $4k * 7.01% (IJH)
$26 = $2k * 1.32% (IJR)
Total dividends $1089
Withholding 30% on dividends = $326.7
Potential return 15% of dividends = $163.35

Out of the gross return of $163.35, your net return needs to account for losing money on currency exchange to USD each time you accumulate and from USD each time you drawdown. You also lose money on the spread each time you rebalance, which you are now responsible for doing at the correct time and with the correct holdings.

At what point does it even net you positive EV financially, let alone become worth your time?

Even if the optimization is to shift all of your US exposure into the RRSP ($128k) and have the remainder in your TFSA ($72k) you still only would have a gross savings of $326 on every $200k of AUM. That's still not worth having to manually manage weightings IMO. If you choose to hold bonds or have less than 64% US exposure your numbers get even worse.

Please double check my calculations.

Thank you for putting in the work :). When I looked through these calculations a decade ago my mental model was it’s marginal gains until you have 7 figures in savings, and I have never had cause to re-evaluate hahaha.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

I have a question regarding "pension adjustments" and "RPP Contributions" on your T4.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much those figures on your T4 impacts your RRSP room?

Is it a 1:1 ratio in $$?

For example, let's say you have an RRSP limit of $15,000 for 2023, but your pension adjustment is $10,000 and your RPP is $2000 on your 2023 T4.

Does that leave you $3K of room to contribute?

If not, is there an easy-ish way to ballpark it?

Someone should comment if I'm off base, but checking my return, the hypothetical $2,000 RPP (that shows up on a 2023 T4) acts as a deduction directly to your net income in 2023. It does not impact your 2023 RRSP deduction limit, nor does it factor into calculation of the 2024 RRSP deduction limit. If you mean that the $15,000 is the 2024 deduction limit before pension adjustment (based on 2023 income), then your max 2024 deduction would be $15,000 - $10,000 pension adjustment = $5,000.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

So as long as you are less than $2k over your RRSP contribution limit you are not penalized right, does it affect your limit for next year?

Got a late slip that I had totally forgotten about and looks like I will just be under the 2k :ohdear:

Yeah, less than $2k is okay, although I believe this is a lifetime limit. If this extra $2k contribution was in the first 60 days of 2024 though, you might not technically be in over contribution territory as you are just using up your 2024 contribution room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

I was wondering about this... like what happens if you mess up and accidentally over contribute but immediately realize it. Is everything ok if you quickly withdraw? lol

You'd think maybe, but then what about if there's a few months between when you over contribute and when you find out. I guess you're penalized by paying interest every month so are you only penalized the months you're over the limit?

I guess it's worse to over contribute in January and do nothing all year than it is to almost over contribute in January, do nothing all year, and then over contribute just over the line in Dec ?

The wording is generally you are charged 1% interest for every month you have over contributed to rrsp or tfsa. This is calculated at end of month, so if you over contribute but pull it out before end of that initial month of contribution, there is no penalty. I understand there are ways to withdraw mistaken rrsp contributions without additional tax complication at least, but never had cause to look too much into that.