Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
25 basis point cut :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
This is just hilarious policy, a large number of Canadians are over extended on their house(s) to begin with and continue to spend on HELOC type products. The CMHC continues to underwrite these consumers spending habits.

If rates don't rise soon this living on credit economy we are essentially pushing will cause large issues in the future.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The joys of being a petrostate :allears:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Except that Canada isn't. You might be surprised to learn oil makes up like 7% of GDP.

It's high but to put things in perspective, Norway oil and gas is 22% of GDP and Venezuela is like 25%.

Let Alberta know they aren't a petrostate, this knowledge might help balance their books.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kal Torak posted:

The BoC hasn't cut rates since 2009. And in 2010 the BoC raised them 3 times and the banks all raised the prime rate the very next day.

Assuming the banks refuse to cut now and oil eventually bounces back, what happens when the BoC raises the overnight rate back to 1%? Do the banks raise prime to 3.25%? I'm guessing yes.

The Federal Government is losing their mind trying to get a fourth wireless carrier because of those evil Telcos, but nobody cares about the Banks gouging their customers to increase their $30B+ of annual profits.

These evil telecoms and banks shouldn't be your enemy, they should be a part of your diversified investment strategy.

tuyop posted:

So, I've just been glancing at my portfolio every few months and if it's supposed to be like, 50/50 stocks/bonds but it's sitting at 52.63/47.37, I just leave it. Should I be rebalancing those few shares if the 2.6% difference is like two shares because of portfolio size?

First why are you so deep into bonds? Otherwise you can just shift your new contributions more so into bonds to balance if you have ocd.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Mantle posted:

Can someone explain why this is the case? I thought rising interest rates would cool down equities and therefore create increased demand for bonds.

If interest rates rise (quickly), portfolio managers might want to sell lower interest rate bonds at a discount in hopes of buying higher interest rate bonds. There is only so much money in a fund, and if you are tying up significant capital for low rates of return over a long period, you might see investors move their assets to another fund that is more aggressively managing their bonds.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

It's been what.. a year since I last posted almost? Still getting hosed around setting up my TD e-series stuff. Online says I'm hooked up, but it doesn't work because the bank says I'm missing info in my account and everyone I talk to has a different answer. I've half given up, gently caress TD why do they make this so hard? I have 100k I'd like to give them but they're throwing up so many loving hoops.

Their latest idiocy is mailing me a form and saying to write my email address in it (after emailing me that they need to mail me back a form so I can put my email address in it) then after I sent it back saying the form is no good because it's a copy and not the original. It's what you idiots sent me!

Are all the "big 5" run this poorly? On the plus side my stupid manulife investments have done super well all this time and apparently a lot of the e-series guys I was going to buy have done a bit poo poo.

Also, my wife is getting stocks every pay day for the company she works for because they give you a 50% discount. I was told we were idiots if not instantly selling the stocks and investing something else. How do I do this? How do we even access these stocks or do anything with them? My wife seems to think you "aren't allowed to do that".

Now that our currency is hosed and canada is super hosed, what should someone with 100k sitting in a lovely high-fee manulife TFSA do?

Having done this before my advice is don't bother calling them, it's a nightmare, you get transferred everywhere. Fill out the form and mail it like they mentioned. You should have an online investment account with your branch number being the first few digits, typically at a branch where you opened the regular account you are then converting. The conversion is completed when the branch numbers of your investment account changes online. You will have more options when selecting the different MF groups online.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/PDF/mutualfunds/tdeseriesfunds/tdct-mutualfunds-tdeseriesfunds-convertaccount.pdf

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Before anyone is like whao, that US equity portfolio, it's mostly due to currency devaluation.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

spoof posted:

I just glanced at BMO's plans and confirm that they also waive their fees. I also found this gem. They have two similar plans:

Performance Plan
$13.95/mo
Unlimited everyday banking transactions
Monthly Plan fee waived if you maintain a monthly balance of $3,500 or more

AIR MILES® Plan
$13.95/mo
Unlimited everyday banking transactions
Earn 50 AIR MILES Reward Miles per month if you maintain a monthly balance of $3,000 or more

So for $14/mo, you could earn 50 AIR MILES Reward Miles if you keep a balance of $3000 or more. Seriously?

Air miles are worth about 9.5 cents each, so you are paying $14 for a value of $4-5 bucks in rewards.

Lexicon posted:

Air Miles in particular is just spectacularly awful. A few months ago I wanted to burn up my points and there was essentially nothing of tangible value worth ordering. They used to have Whistler passes and so on - no more.

Ended up ordering literally, and I do mean literally the only thing on the site I could find that might have a chance of being worthwhile: a shredder.

It's just so :canada:.

Air miles is an effort program sure, but if you are already shopping at these stores for other reasons it is just an added bonus. I used to cash out my air miles for TTC Metro passes and sell them, but sadly I can't find them on the website as a reward. It will take quite a while to collect them if you accumulate at $20 / 1 point.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

spoof posted:

This is Air Canada. The conversion will be 1:1 and redemption requirements will increase by 1.6.

Also forced to fly Jazz for that generous 43 cm width

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Filed taxes and got a return of almost -20k. Thanks obama

Pour a 40 for your T2/T5 taxes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

the talent deficit posted:

i currently have $10k of TFSA contribution room (i think? the CRA site implies here this is the case) and an emergency fund sitting in a savings account with my credit union earning next to nothing (1.65%). i can afford to make about $2k in contributions per month to my TFSA (until I reach the cap). are there any relatively safe but liquid TFSA eligible instruments I could move $10k of my emergency fund into or am I better off saving it for more aggressive investments (I am mostly invested in ETFs via qtrade) and just sitting on the extra room for now?

You can always sell your tfsa mf but you will lose that contribution room for the year. TD e-series have a 90 day window iirc to mature so that selling the funds won't incur losses. If you have a LOC that could bridge an immediate need for funds this may make sense. If you do sell your mf early you incur a 1% (iirc) penalty and the sale will probably take a business day or two, so in your case can you survive without your 10k for several days and -$100 at the worst case?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
In addition to what was said, lower your daily threshold and check your accounts often. Having a $250 daily limit or less will reduce your exposure. If you need to make a large purchase on debit it's a quick phone call for a temporary daily increase. Your daily ATM limit should be $100 at most.

Some credit cards (TD for sure) will allow you to send an email or text message for every transaction so you can instantly react to fraud.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Guest2553 posted:

Accounts were last checked a week ago, all the fraudulent activity started this week. I'm deployed (bank knows) so I didn't get any alerts and they didn't call my wife like they were supposed so. My daily limit is supposed to be low but it was raised a few months ago to pay a medical bill - was supposed to be for one day only but was never actually brought back down.

:shrug:

Wasn't specific to you, just some general tips. Anyways things happen, good luck with the claim. Someone I know waited 8 weeks so be patient.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
CIBC Dividend Visa will credit your bill directly, TD Divided cards will mail you a cheque in the hopes you lose or do not cash it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kal Torak posted:

TD has decreased by only 10 basis points so the result will be pretty minor. I assume the other banks will follow. This means the banks are a full 25 basis points behind in 2015 alone.

Of course, once the economy turns around and interest rates rise, you know the banks will be increasing the full amount. Those with any variable rate loan based on the prime rate are getting screwed. I hate the banks.

Even with a 10 basis point drop TD offers a discount of 25-40 basis points on 5 year fixed. They will probably err on the lower going forward. Sucks to me be I already signed on for a 2.68 fixed.

Don't hate the banks, own a spread of the financials for your Canada allocation.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

HookShot posted:

So who has the best high interest savings account?

I've had my emergency fund in Tangerine for ages, and with the interest rate down to 0.8%, I was wondering if I could do any better elsewhere, but the info is surprisingly hard to find on bank websites and I'm not up to date on the cool and trendy financial institutions with hipster names like Tangerine.

If you are really interested in savings accounts and higher returns for whatever reason you may have to go with a third party lender for the best returns. https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/

Honestly though, have 15-20k cash, and use a HELOC for the rest. If you are really hurting you can dip into some of your TFSA that hasn't lost value.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kal Torak posted:

That's great, but I think the market is up like 75% since 2010.

This is also accounting for the recent 10%+ haircut (or 40% in the case of VW :v: )

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Does this mean we will eventually have online billing for the Amazon CC?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Nierbo posted:

Can anyone tell me where to file a report in Canada against a past employer who isn't paying me my last pay packet (After I have called and txted a million times and legit tried every way possible to get my cheque)?

Thats a provincial jurisdiction. What province? The process will be filing a complaint with the labour board, waiting for that to play out, and suing the employer in small claims court for the award afterwards.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://www.saskatchewan.ca/business/employment-standards/complaints-investigations-enforcement-and-fines

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
That is one way to do it, there may be a yearly fee to open the Waterhouse account. You can simply open a mutual fund TFSA at a local branch and not mention the e Series, and proceed to submit the paperwork to convert the account afterwards sans fee.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Let me also add you don't need to wait for a notice of assessment to determine RRSP contribution room; the CRA-Personal site can show you the amount at any time.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

gently caress financial services in this loving country. It's a loving travesty that you can't electronically transfer money for free.

Well obviously the solution is to not transfer money at all, and to invest in real estate instead. When your family pays for your dinner, you are supposed to give them shares of your real estate holding company in lieu of cash. The next obvious step is to dilute their share value and never speak to them again.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Plot twist: you co-house with said family

In that case tell them to hold onto the shares as real estate investments until they develop dementia whereby you can fleece them by power of attorney. And by that I mean give them photocopies of Canadian tire money instead.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

I think one would be better off just spending their time getting a free line of credit to use in emergencies rather than trying to protect a couple grand from inflation.

Kal Torak posted:

Well that goes completely against the 6 month emergency fund idea. And if that's your prerogative, so be it. I wouldn't say that's a bad idea at all.
But if 6 months for you is a couple grand, I guess there's no point arguing.

You can have both a heloc and 6 months of cash on hand.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

sund posted:

Tangerine's free transfers are fine. Anyone I've ever paid with them is happy to jump through a whatever extra hoops there are because they're getting money out of it.

Also why on earth do people pay monthly fees for basic banking? Am I missing out on a sweet deal or something?

Not everyone is satisfied with a no frills banking service like tangerine, and do in fact make use of banking branches, the services as well as conveniences they offer. As for why someone pays a punitive fee of say $30 a month for a chequing account that I cannot defend given it is much cheaper to float the 5k or whatever balance is required.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lexicon posted:

Could you elaborate on these services and/or conveniences? I remain baffled why there are so many bank branches in Canadian cities - it's utterly unclear to me who visits them and for what reason with such regularity their numbers are justified.

You can walk inside a branch and talk to someone about your problems, which they generally solve for the patron after they've had to wait in a single file line for some time. There is also a "strategically" located ABM on premises that offers you a physical medium for your currency if needed.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

I don't think we are discussing business accounts.

I know a few people at my branch because I do both business banking and occasionally while doing personal banking get drafts or wire money. Some people even have safety deposit boxes for important documents or whatever.

As another example some online portals don't allow you to collect 12 months of monthly statements. Ordering these documents would incur a charge per page printed, however going to the bank in person I am able to avoid fees by asking nicely to have them waived. As a benefit you also get the option to avoid being on hold for telephone banking if the branch is empty or vice versa. Options are cool and good.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 26, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The other thing to note is that the IRS is covered by US law, and they will poo poo all over you and put you away for a long time if you commit tax fraud. You don't mess with the IRS.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The market is making my cash holdings look so good right now

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lexicon posted:

Yeah the CRA's website is a loving disgrace. Gotta love that "sign in with your bank :downs:" bullshit as well.

Single sign on. It's very useful, and on some interstitial page which isn't a big deal :shrug:

Hey cra, 2002 called, they want their web design back.

Thanks for making it hard for me to figure out how to set up automatic payments.

They have to deal with mandated web accessibility standards for screen readers. I agree it's awful but there is a reason for its awfulness.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I never liked the surprise, you owe us money and several hundred in interest. I'm sure you're suffering with that right now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I've been waiting for the day when the CRA finally comes after my tenant/roommate/friend for his student loans, and he just received a letter from the CRA last week. I can't imagine that it would be anything else but a final notice that they will begin taking legal action on his loans.

Does anyone know how long that process will take? I need to know because he's always late with rent as it is, and if the CRA starts garnishing his wages to the tune of $500 a month, things will get really tight for him. I want to know how long I have before I have to have a conversation with him to tell him to get his poo poo together.

Cut all ties and move. They will eventually come to you asking for money or to pay more of the rent while they 'fix things' which is code for never pays you back.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Download the eseries conversion form, and submit it via snail mail

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm also in the same situation, which I've never been in. If I were to submit a RRSP transfer right now would it go through before the 29th? Money would have to transfer institutions so I'm guessing no.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Are you one of those debt free mortgage holders?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

sbaldrick posted:

I'm getting laid off from my lovely government job and given my pension will amount to 200 bucks a month when I hit 65 I'm pulling it despite the pension.

Is the TD eseries the best place to park that money long-term, given the thread seems to like there service?

They're pretty low effort and fee for what they offer. Once your portfolio is larger you may benefit more from buying and holding vanguard funds in a rrsp or tfsa at a discount brokerage.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

I am currently in mutual funds but my number is getting big enough to justify ETF purchases.

If the fund MER is 0.72% and the ETF MER is 0.06% then I only have to have $1,500 invested over a year to justify a once annual $9.95 trade to come out ahead in the ETF. Is this correct?

For $10,000 it costs $72 a year to be in the fund but only $6 to be in the ETF.

Keep in mind the frequency of contributions and number of funds you hold as well. If you are doing dollar cost averaging on a monthly basis you are paying the 9.95 a trade monthly (until whatever for lower fees) x the number of funds you hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

They have nearly run out of money to buy the product to dilute their heavy petro. They are pretty hosed.