Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm also super new at this, and plan to grab that book linked up thread. What are some other good references for me to look at?

I also have some money in RRSPs, does it makes sense to leave that there, or move it to my TFSA? Also is there a way to tell how much is left in your cap? I have sporadically contributed to it, so I have no idea how much room I have left in it.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

ING is pissing me off. Trying to sign up for the promo to get the free $100 , but I don't use or have cheques. SO my options are limited to get hosed or go buy a chequebook just to use 1 to get my account set up.

Can a bank make you a one off personal cheque? Pretty sure TD is loving with me at this point, since my first trip in they gave me a bank draft, and the second trip they gave me the standard direct deposit info sheet.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 19, 2013

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

melon cat posted:

Banks used to issue a one-time sheet of free cheques, but they don't do this as much as they used to. You'll be hard-pressed to find any banks that still do this. I'm not saying that you're poo poo out of luck, but your chances of getting them is pretty slim, these days.

Hell, they don't have to be free, I just don't want to have to buy a book of 50.

Edit: straight up no.

This is turning into a lot of work for a free account.

People that have an ing account, can you add accounts without using a cheque once your account is verified?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 19, 2013

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Gave up on the ING account, too many hoops. Went with a PC free chequing account instead.

Now, how do I move my money around between my different chequing accounts?

And is there a way to move money from a PC chequing account directly to my TD TFSA? I really don't want to be paying for a TD chequing account.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, this is the first time I have not banked exclusively with one bank.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Like I said, I'm getting rid of my TD chequing account, but will still have my TFSA and my loan there. So I still need to be able to move money from PC to TD.

Dealing with interac e-transfers until I can get my direct deposit set up for the new account will have to do.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Just wanted to make sure I have this right. I currently have a TD TFSA. So to get access to the e-series, I have to convert it to a mutual fund TFSA then fill out the form saying I want to convert it to an e-series TFSA?

Edit: Can TD RRSP accounts be converted as well?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 29, 2013

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is the moneysense guide to perfect portfolio a good primer? Trying to dig up info on canada couch potato is just painful. 3 items per page? are you loving kidding me?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Saltin posted:

What are your investment objectives?

Put money aside for retirement.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Yea, I am already with TD. So I just have to go into open an TD waterhouse account then I can move my existing RRSP across. Do I need to fill out the same form that is needed for a TFSA to get e-series?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I would definitely love to find out about some better credit cards. Right now I have a RBC Visa with 1% cashback with a $20 annual fee. So I'm definitely going to be switching to that mbna world card.

Assuming nothing better pops up.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I just learned that apparently if you open a TD Waterhouse Cooper Self Directed RRSP or TFSA they automatically have access to the e-series funds. So that may be a good place to start.

I'm starting with chump change though, so I have only looked at Index mutual funds. I don't really know anything about EFTs, which are the better way to invest if you have more then $50,000.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Holy gently caress I hate TD. I wish any other bank had these e-series so I could kick these fuckers to the curb completely.

So according to the person I was just talking to, TD investing TFSA and RRSP are not self directing. So even if I have access to the e-series, I don't have control over it. On the other hand, with a TD waterhouse RSP and TFSA I have full control and access to the E-series. I just have no way to transfer money into them from other banks.

So how the gently caress am I supposed to set this up so its usable? Does the TD financial/conversion form actually give you control and she was just wrong/lying?

Edit: Or do I just have to suck it up and keep paying $4 a month to have a chequing account so I can actually move the money around?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 31, 2013

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

So basically I should be converting my existing TD RRSP to e-series (Do I have to mail the form in, or can I go in to the branch with them) instead of getting a TD waterhouse account.

She made is seem like self direct is when you control it, and other wise you have to come into the branch to manage changes to your portfolio.

Time to call and cancel the waterhouse accounts I Was going to get set up.

I have yet to have anything related to TD be easy or succeed on the first try.

Edit: Yea, I just logged into my existing TD account, and there is the option to buy, sell, or move funds. So what do you think? stupid or lying?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 31, 2013

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Lexicon posted:

If you have tons of cash, go waterhouse. Below a threshold, say, $50k, you're probably better off with e-series mutual funds. In the case of the latter, they don't consider it "self directed" but it will be de-facto self-directed. But don't make any moves that strongly contradict your risk profile thing (e.g. don't buy the emerging market index when you said you were a conservative/short-term investor).

Just mail the form in - the less you deal with the branch jokers, the better.

Stupid. As I said: branch jokers.

Called TD, was able to get the waterhouse accounts cancelled. I wish I could do everything through phone banking, it has always been painless.

Next step is going to be mailing in the form, and going back to open a Mutual Fund TFSA, since all I have is a regular savings TFSA. Sadly, they can't do that over the phone.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Lexicon posted:

It's horseshit to debate the semantics and suggestibility of "account" or "savings" or "plan" or whatever.

People need to get their act together and learn this stuff. Most won't, but that's on them. There is an absolute plethora of information out there, all free, in all manner of sources. There's no excuse for anyone who's a well-adjusted, literate, adult.

No one was born with the knowledge of a TFSA's taxation rules.

Until this thread I had no idea you could use a TFSA as anything other than a savings account. I have had my account since they first came out. No one in the bank ever mentioned that it could be used for mutual funds. There is almost no info floating around saying that they can be used as anything other then a savings account.

So pinning it all on the average person seems a bit misplaced.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Well, you know now, don't you! That's a start :)

As for 'pinning it on the average person' - no one, and I mean no one gives a poo poo about your financial future. Not your employer, not the government, certainly not the banks, etc. So that only leaves you. People seem to have no trouble quoting the minutiae of offside rules, or world series batting averages, or whatever the gently caress other inane thing. This stuff is rather more important, and it's really not that hard. I mean, Jesus, you can't crack a Globe and Mail or regional daily any day in January through February 28th without financial columnists prattling on and on about TFSA and RRSP decisions, etc.

I do. And I opened a new TFSA for mutual funds and closed my TFSA savings account. Now I just need TD to process my e-Series conversion form.

Kal Torak posted:

Huh? There is a tonne of information. Everywhere.

You never watch the news? Read a newspaper? Pay attention to any business/finance news? Are you on twitter? Facebook? Ever visit CRA's website?

I don't know how anyone can say that there is no info floating around about using the TFSA as anything other than a savings account. Blows my mind.

No. No, other then the metro crossword, no, yes but I clearly don't follow anyone talking finance, ditto for facebook, and I only hit the cra website to submit my taxes.

I should do a poll of my friends and see if I'm the only idiot that didn't know this.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Dumb question. My RSP is now converted to an e-series ready account. What is the best way to move my money from the mutual fund that it is in. Do I have to switch from the 1 fund that I have and just do it 4 times to move 20% to one of the e-series and so forth?

And it seems like redeeming the fund sells it off then transfers it back into my chequing?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Question for anyone that uses PC and TD E-series. Is there a way to set up direct money transfers from online banking? The PC financial site doesn't seem to recognize my transit/account number, and their phone support straight up said they can't do it and you have to try to use email money transfers.

I could have sworn that someone here had this working.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Lexicon posted:

I've got it automated with ING. All it took was a cheque.

How did you get cheques with a mutual fund account? Or do you move the money to your chequing first?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Lexicon posted:

I sent a cheque for ING along with the instructions to automate withdrawal. I buy eseries weekly from that account.

Ah, I see. I was trying to push from PC into TD, not have TD withdraw from my chequing. That makes much more sense now.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does anyone have comparable mutual funds to the td e-series? I am so fed up with their bullshit that I don't care if it costs a little more.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

melon cat posted:

I just wanted to add-on to the previous conversation we had about how bad financial "advisors" can be at Canadian FIs: CBC Marketplace just did an undercover investigation on them. Just watching it made me angry because I've had to work with people like them.

Summary: There are plenty of advisors who talk straight out of their asses.

Most of the people I've spoke to don't even come close to maxing it out. And on top of that, most people seem to treat it like a regular savings account, and just withdraw most of the savings around Christmas.

It wasn't until this thread that I learned you could use a TFSA as more then just a savings account with a slightly better interest rate. There is not a lot of information floating around about them, and banks just push the savings accounts.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Golluk posted:

I really didn't either, and I admit that while I know I can place investments in it, I'm not actually sure exactly how yet. I assume it can be done through TD's web account management though.

If you have a regular savings account you have to convert it to a mutual funds TFSA or open a new account and close the old one.

You will definitely have to go in and make an appointment since the tellers can't do poo poo.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Can't you buy those funds immediately if its a TD Waterhouse account? I thought the conversion process was only for regular TD mutual funds accounts.

If you go into your waterhouse account you should see the same fund numbers as listed on the couch potato site.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Is owning a house young really that horrible and frowned upon? I bought my house when I was 20 with a 217k Mortgage and 3 and a half years later its sitting at 196k and the house could sell for 300k easily in Winnipeg's current housing market. The only other debt I have currently is 12k on a low interest line of credit(2.5%). Of course I have savings too(5k in my TFSA, 1k in savings, 16k in a locked-in RSP). I have a ton of RRSP and TFSA contribution room that I'm slowly chipping away yet, but I'm not really pushing the retirement panic button currently.

I always read real estate is dumb don't invest! But then I just kick back and let my friend living in the basement cover my base mortgage payments while I build equity and not live in my parents basement.

Well you have to sell the house to take advantage of that increased value. Then you are either renting or buying a house that is as expensive or even more expensive then your current house.

I don't see anything wrong with letting your friend pay your mortgage for you, but I don't know if I would call it a good investment.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Yay for oligopolies I guess.

Canada in a nut shell.

I like that both banks and phone companies have arms length subsidiaries that most people don't know are owned by one of the big players.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does any one have any good recommendations for a new Credit card?

The two I'm thinking about right now are the MBNA Smart Cash
https://www.applyonlinenow.com/CACCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=COMP&lc=en_CA

Or the Capital One Aspire Travel Card
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/aspire-travel-world/

I am mostly interested in cash back from my card, although all the travel benefits of the aspire card would be nice.

Edit: http://www.pcfinancial.ca/english/credit-card/pc-mastercard-world Could also work as I do most of my grocery shopping at superstore already.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 22, 2014

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Kal Torak posted:

A few months ago I switched to Tangerine and don't have huge complaints. I guess it depends on what you use it for. I have a USD account, and I'm headed to New York next week but I can't withdraw US cash from it. I guess you have to do that from an actual Tangerine ABM which are only located in like Toronto and Calgary. There isn't one in Edmonton which is ridiculously annoying.

It's not perfect but if all you need is chequing and savings, I don't know why you would stick with one of the big 5.

Well technically you are still with the big five. All the "little" banks are wholly owned by the big players. I think Scotiabank owns tangerine.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there a good primer on capital gains anywhere? I'm looking to sell some stock for the first time and want to know what I'm in for.

What is the current preferred eft site these days? I would like to move away from TD.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

At what point is it worth moving from td e series to etfs on questrade?

I have about 13k (although I haven't checked lately) in e series, and have a lump sum of about 35k ready to dump in.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

How many of you actually use questrade? Since they aren't backed/owned by a bank I'm a little hesitant to give them all my life savings.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Did anyone actually expect there to be a clawback? That just seemed completely unreasonable and hard to implement.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I have a couple of dumb questions. Are RRSP limits cumulative like TFSA?

And does anyone with td know if you can move money into the td rrsp with out automatically allocating it to funds? I'm trying to move money into my existing account so I can transfer it to questrade without paying fees, but don't want to have to actually buy funds and wait the 90 days before I can sell the e-funds.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Golluk posted:

For credit cards, my personal preference at the moment is Tangerine Mastercard. No fee's, decent website, 2% cash back in up to 3 categories that are rather broad, 1% in everything else, and it automatically goes against your balance each month. I'd also get an Amazon Visa for a back up/online US purchase card. It has low currency exchange fees, 1% cashback on everything, and again, no annual fees. Either way, just make sure you always pay off the balance due each month. 20% annual interest is no joke.

Is the tangerine card the new favorite over the MBNA smart cash? I need to call and yell at MBNA since I haven't gotten a cheque from them in months, so I would definitely be open to switching.

poo poo, just having the credit go directly on the card vs getting a cheque in the mail seems like it makes switching worth it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Really hope they don't change anything. I don't want to have to go through the hassle of moving banks.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

pokeyman posted:

That blows. Tangerine went the opposite way after getting bought, expanding from weirdo ATMs at credit unions to anything Scotiabank.

In general the lesson is to have no loyalty whatsoever to banks. Always be ready to switch.

Speaking of tangerine and no loyalty, can anyone recommend a good cash back card?

Or a good guide for Canadians churning airline reward cards?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Hahaha, loving Simplii. Think it may be time to switch banks. Are any of the big banks decent assuming I can keep the minimum amount to not pay fees?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What's the next step once your tfsa and rrsp are maxed out? Next year I should be able to top them both off relatively quickly.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Can anyone recommend a good daily use credit card? I'm with tangerine right now, but since they dropped the cash back rates I've soured on it.

Are any of the travel cards worth it without going through hardcore churning route?

poo poo, I just realized I really need to get on replacing my Amazon card asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm glad I got the fido card now. It feels weird that a Roger's product was the better choice....