Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
One of the reasons I love Jaime's character so much is because he's done things that are legit evil and legit awesome, and no matter how he evolves the audience will never be able to fully reconcile his new leaf with his previous actions.

Media is full of bad boys who are *really secretly good inside,* you just have to get past their surly attitude and angst about past misdeeds, which usually turn out to be not that bad or not their fault. But we can't get past Jaime loving his sister and paralyzing an innocent child in an attempted murder. No matter what he does or how much he changes, there's always That, and That is what makes him stand out from the pack. The reader should and always will feel conflicted about him, because Jaime evokes such strong, opposite emotions.

NOT being able to successfully pin down his alignment is what makes him great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
The problem with both Cersei and Jamie is that they're technically intelligent people but have very little self-awareness, thus they end up doing all this short-sighted, boneheaded poo poo but they still think they're clever because they can get away with it for the most part. Jamie getting his hand lopped off forced some introspection on him, and I think he's finally starting to realize how much of his actions were actually influenced by his subconscious and unfounded assumptions; he had to have his identity stripped away to see what he truly was.

Cersei might be getting to that place as well: she's lost her power, her dignity, what she sees as her beauty, and Jamie. With everything that mattered to her gone, it'll be up to her to see if she can make an identity from what's left, or retreat further into bitterness. Unfortunately she's always been more petty, insecure, and cruel than her siblings. I think there's a chance for her, but it's not a very good one.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Narmi posted:

Brienne and Ygritte, though they both have adopted a more aggressive lifestyle than all the other female characters (plus wearing a dress in the snow is probably impractical).

And Asha! (I mean... Yara.) And Meera! Osha also has trousers on underneath a long, dress-like garment. So basically any woman who needs to be able to run and climb and hike and fight.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Seeing Brienne and Jaime sort of together in full armor almost makes me think like they'll have Brienne fill in for Ilyn as cripple-Jaime's sparring partner while Tyrion is imprisoned/awaiting trial. Maybe use it as a vehicle to squeeze in some exposition about how he feels about Joffrey technically having been his son and his own role in Tyrion's marriage. That way it might feel more natural for him to send her off with Oathkeeper after privygate.

I hope you're correct. Both book and show Brienne and Jaime have great chemistry, and the more scenes they have together, the better.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

loquacius posted:

Yeah you'd really think they'd have at least given New Daario some Fabio hair or something. Even if they do say his name a lot, I predict large swathes of show-only people wondering why they did such a poor job of introducing this mysterious new character and also what happened to that Fabio guy from last season.

I'm wondering this myself. With the Hound it was understandable since he only makes one or two (if that) unhelmed appearances per season -- he's just "the huge scary guy who kills everyone." Daario, however, is "cheekbones guy with the long blond hair," and all those signifiers are gone. There's nothing remotely flashy about this new design, to the point he may as well be a different character altogether. Not that a lot of book readers will complain about that, but wow, how is this not going to be weird and confusing? The Faceless Man theory isn't bad, though. I'd love to see the writers/producers talk a little more about their reasoning. Maybe in the Season 4 preview in February?

vvvv Derp, you're right. The new Hound images put the wrong Clegane in my brain.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 30, 2014

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

New Brienne scenes??? I've never been so happy to see a divergence from the books. Thank heavens the producers realize that Gwendoline Christie, especially in when sharing the screen with Nikolaj, is television gold. I was anticipating the new season before, but now I'm pretty pumped -- well done, HBO.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Abner Assington posted:

There are a couple shots of Jaime and Bronn sparring around the 0:19 mark, so I guess that solves the question of who replaces Ilyn.

I didn't expect that, but it makes sense. Bronn is loyal to Tyrion, so what does it matter if he knows Jaime sucks now? Plus the added benefit of Bronn's sass.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Also it looks like Jaime gives Brienne a new set of armour :3: which I'm not sure was in the book.

Towards the end of the video we see what appears to be a conversation between Brienne and Margaery, can you imagine?? The writers must have been salivating at the prospect, and so am I. What two loving fascinating, totally different viewpoints on power and femininity in Westeros, linked by their common connection to Renly.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

PootieTang posted:

I don't know if this has come up in the thread before, so forgive me if it has. I mention fanfiction a lot, and now I get to talk about published fanfiction, a lovely, totally original and not a rip-off book 'A THRONE OF BONES' the first book in the 'Arts of Dark and Light' series! Written by the great VOX DAY.

I'm sorely tempted to actually buy it and read it, but do I really want to spend money on 900 pages of admitted fanfiction, that from it's description sounds like it took everything unique and interesting out of ASOIAF and stuck in everything I hate about modern fantasy. That and reading something written by ONE OF THE INTERNETS MOST INFLUENTIAL LIBERTARIANS seems like one of the worst ways to spend money.

Do not give one red cent to Vox Day. There are plenty of online personalities I disagree with or dislike, but I don't actively hate any of them. Except this guy, who isn't just an internet hack with delusions of grandeur, he is a piece of actual human poo poo. I actually felt a cold flash of rage when I read his name.

The dude has written multiple racist, sexist, homophobic, everything-abysmal rants attacking specific professionals in the industry, then sic'd his rabid followers on them. He's one of the few lifetime members to ever have been expelled from the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America, and is the eye at the center of a shitstorm that is still causing problems within the organization and the whole genre writing community. The guy is poison.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've always thought fanfiction sucked because it's the literary equivalent of tracing over someone else's art.

In this case basically 90% of comics suck, as do most television shows (including Game of Thrones), and any adaptation of anything like Sherlock Holmes or Austen or whatever sucks, because all of these are cases of writers working in pre-established worlds with existing characters. So, no.

The actual reason is because writing is really really hard. There are two hundred things you can screw up, but if you do them all just right, the effect is invisible. Most fanfics suck in the exact same way most original works suck, except you have less opportunity to see the later. If you ever read slush submitted to a publisher, you will quickly be disabused of the notion that original work is inherently better.

Derivative work (and how people define it) is a fascinating subject, but probably not something to go into at length here.

vvv I don't disagree with you, but the problem does not stem from working in existing worlds. (But for real, most TV shows are essentially a group of writers swapping fanfic with each other on a rotating basis.)

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 14, 2014

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

The Sand Snakes and Myrcella plots were important to me because they showed that, even though Dorne was part of Westeros, it didn't have the same patrilineal culture, and that opened up a host of new, exciting possibilities that made Westeros feel much larger. I think those plots could certainly be streamlined, though.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Season 4 costuming video. I love how Margaery's wedding dress is covered in thorns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsDi4P-1YQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

meristem posted:

I still don't really like the fact that they are not dressing Marge and Dany in their house colours, although it's pretty understandable why. Hopefully Dany will transition to black+red at some point, though.

I'm hoping Dany will go red and black when she's in full-on war mode, regardless of whether or not she turns into one of the evil Targs by that point. I'd love to see her in a version of Rhaegar's armor.

• Locked thread