Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I don't know if this goes in the B-league thread or what but I just read that Jon Fitch moved to the opposite side of the country to take a day job teaching MMA at a gym in Syracuse, NY, and I didn't see it posted in any of the other threads. Maybe I missed something, maybe not.

quote:

Fitch and AKA are practically synonymous. So it might take some by a little bit of surprise to hear Fitch packed up his family and headed cross-country recently to take a job at a mega-fitness center in Syracuse, N.Y.

Fitch said money definitely played a part in his move from one side of the country to the other.

"There are financial things to take into consideration – it's a salaried job with guaranteed income and health benefits for my family," he said. "Those are huge, really. Honestly, California is falling apart. The whole country's kind of falling apart. But the cost of living here in California is ridiculous, and the taxation in California is ridiculous. I'm not sure it's any better in New York yet, but I've got to start doing something, thinking outside the box trying to keep yourself and your family above water and outside the sinking ship."

It was money that was a key part of the conversation when Fitch was unexpectedly released by the UFC earlier this year following a loss to Demian Maia at UFC 156. He made a disclosed $66,000 in show money for that fight, and it would've doubled with a win. At 1-2-1 his previous four fights, UFC President Dana White said he was just too expensive to keep around for non-winning outputs.

And Fitch's start with WSOF was no better. He was choked unconscious in 41 seconds by Josh Burkman, who earned a shot at the promotion's first welterweight title at WSOF 6 with the win.

And while Fitch didn't say that a change in scenery might do him some good after years in California, it might not have been far from his mind.

His new full-time job is for Pacific Health Club in Syracuse, which Fitch said is a 90,000 square-foot state-of-the-art gym. He's running the MMA area there.

"Just in my MMA section, we've got 8,000 square feet of mat space and two full-sized cages," he said. "It's just a ridiculous facility, and that's one of the reasons I made the move, just to take advantage of what they have going on up there. I'm running the MMA and grappling program, but I'm trying to start a fight team."

Wasn't he complaining a while back about needing more money from the UFC because he had to make payments on two houses in CA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

-Atom- posted:

Inmates with domestic violence charges are viewed much like you would expect child molesters and pedophiles to be treated within the population of any given facility.

If he's taken alive, he'll be easily convicted but go straight into solitary confinement forever because he's a violent psychopath who is also a professional fighter. He'd probably win one or two fights on the yard but in the end he'd wind up on a morgue slab looking like a cube steak, and no way does the prison system want to give a statement to Deadspin about how they let a man named "War Machine" get stabbed to death by Nazis. I believe the previous times he's been locked up, he did his time in administrative segregation for his own safety.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

red19fire posted:

Dog basically just went to the apartment complex of whoever paid the guy's bail money and said he'd call CPS if they don't tell him where the guy is. Repeat for 3 seasons. It's not too hard, you just have to deal with the dregs of society and be willing to be shot by someone who has skipped bail on their 3rd domestic violence strike.

On his A&E show about 90% of the people he chased were meth addicts who supported their habits with petty crime, not exactly supervillains. Plus he was primarily based in Hawaii so they couldn't even run. I doubt Dog bought his way into the bust since it was the US Marshals carrying out the arrest. They'd have just told him to gently caress off unless he was the one who supplied the tip. Most likely he talked to War Machine's friends and convinced them to turn him in for his own good, which is how he busted people about half the time on his TV show. I expected that War Machine was chilling in a hotel room somewhere but I thought every hotel wanted you to put down a credit card for deposit, which should have got him caught sooner.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Agent Tough Juice posted:

So apparently police at least got to tase War Machine before arresting him so at least there's that.

coconono posted:

It still irritates me they didn't have the decency to shoot the guy. Or have him accidentally suffocate in the back of a squad car.

KTLA News

quote:

A hotel guest who witnessed the arrest told KTLA that officers used a Taser on Koppenhaver.

“And they were like banging on the door, trying to get it open, and they’re like, ‘Open the door, open the door,” Nicolle Blankenship said. “Finally when they got it open they yelled, ‘Gun,’ and then all of a sudden you see them shoot him with a Taser. And he got shot with a Taser and he went down to the floor, and then they handcuffed him.”

Once officers were inside the room, they discovered “a small quantity of cash and some pizza,” a police news release stated.

I'm curious about the cops yelling "gun" when they busted in, because it says they didn't recover a gun. If they mistook something in his hand for a gun, like a cell phone or a slice of pizza, they could easily have shot him to death instead of just zapping him. It's almost like they're teasing you.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

fatherdog posted:

The guy who threatened her and her current boyfriend with an automatic weapon gets out on bail, and mysteriously, she leaves the country! Why, this case just fell apart in our hands, there was nothing we could do!

I understand she's the primary witness, but he invaded a gym with an AK and then finished up with a SWAT standoff. There's probably dozens of witnesses who can attest to him waving an assault rifle around. Ft. Lauderdale DAs must be incompetent shitheels if they can't keep that case alive.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Well, there's some blame to go around. How does a judge give Thiago Silva bail? He's a trained fighter, citizen of a non-extradition country, facing a double-digit sentence, due to charges for threatening the witnesses with assault weapons. He's like the walking definition of a flight risk and danger to the community.

vainman posted:

Nice job to whoever said, "never leave it in the hands of the judges" earlier

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Bubba losing in hilarious fashion again

It looks like he was caught in the guillotine but managed to get into half guard, but he then decided to reverse direction and jump back into the guard?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

fatherdog posted:

He was on the wrong side of half guard and trying to get to the right side, and got caught in guard on the way.

ah ok thanks for explaining

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why do dorky people always insist on haircuts where every single strand of hair is cropped off at the exact same point relative to the bottom of their head? A proper haircut and new glasses would 200% undorkify that picture.

If she's not cutting it herself she's getting it done at the cheapest possible place, which are both popular choices for people with no money/taste.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I've seen that Joe Silva letter posted before but this time something really jumped out at me:

Joe Silva posted:

I like and respect Ken Shamrock

It's so weird to look back to a time when anybody liked and respected Ken Shamrock.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Wow that kick could hardly have been more flagrantly illegal

e: He probably saw Mazzagatti was reffing and decided to give a shot since it was 50:50 that he would notice at all

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I hope Cella manages to win this round so they have a 28-28 draw.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
That guy on the bottom is probably screwed, his eyes are totally full of blood

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

That's a lot of blood. They could've at least wiped him down.

It's enough of a gift to restart him on the feet, but he got taken down again instantly anyway

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

She was supposed to make her debut in Japan last year but backed out when she found out they wanted her to fight Megumi Yabushita, who's 42 and 135 lbs.

Jesus Christ. That's like she signed up to do MMA and they tried to get her to play the villain in a televised snuff movie.

edit:
God, if I found the right Megumi Yabushita, she's even 19-22 on top of everything. They wanted her to murder an elderly Japanese can fighting up four entire weight classes.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 18, 2015

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

Shields vs. Palhares is actually very interesting. No idea who takes it.

I'm legitimately excited to see that. My guess is that Palhares's power and strength will allow him to take control initially, but if Shields can survive he's an amazing scrambler and he's really stifling from the top. The guy went to the mat with Demian Maia and plain shut him down. Palhares tends to fold mentally if he can't destroy a knee right away, so I can see Shields surviving, working his way to the top, and either riding Palhares out or even submitting him if he gasses/gives up hard enough.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

CommonShore posted:

That's loving weird, because like everyone who he has beaten has a Wiki. There must be some specific volunteer who keeps deleting him for some dumbassed reason.

I remember a year or two ago there was this big MMA kerfluffle on Wikipedia. You know how the Wiki page for any given UFC event is basically the best resource for figuring out WTF is going on in them? Like they have the announcement, information about fighters dropping out and getting replaced, what happened at the weigh-ins, full results pf each fight 30 seconds after it ends, performance bonuses, all the information? And you can use them to cross-reference the fighters, previous events, etc.

Anyway a while back all the UFC event pages were getting deleted for "notability," and it wound up being this huge extended edit war where people kept reverting the deletions and somebody else would delete them again. It had to go through this whole extended idiot Wiki arbitration. I think they tried to "compromise" so that cards with a title fight could have their own page, but cards without championship bouts would only get abbreviated entries on the "2013 in UFC" summary page. Anyway through this stupid process it emerged that it was being done by a single insane nerd who obsessively hosed with MMA-related pages on wikipedia for months because he personally didn't like MMA. He had no legitimate reasoning at all for what he was doing, but because of how Wikipedia works it took forever to get it resolved.

I can't remember if he got overruled by the Wikipedia arbitrators or if he just gave up, but eventually it got back to full pages for each event.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bean Fried posted:

If by months you mean 2 years, and it's actually much more complicated than that.

Yeah, I didn't follow it really closely so my summary was probably wrong in a lot of details. Thanks for clearing it up.

quote:

There were more than one "deletionist," but one of them was on there approximately 50 hours a week.

:catstare:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

El Roncho posted:

Hmm. If only we had a one dimensional, heavy handed brawler in early UFC's. Would have answered so many currently pressing questions.

Tank actually got a little juco wrestling experience under his (capacious) belt before he dropped out to pursue a full-time career as a drunken reprobate. Like in his second fight at UFC 6 he beat Paul Varelans by taking him down and beating the poo poo out of him. I would argue Tank in 1995 was more versatile and strictly better than Kimbo ever was.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
is this the thread to post about WSOF22? I just wanted to say, I like the commentary team talking about Mike Kyle's "very impressive record" while the info popup says "2-4 in the last three years"

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
This is counter-programming Shogun vs. Lil Nog, I don't know what to do

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
palhares is dogshit, even mazagati can't ignore the eye rakes

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I had it muted. What was that referee incident about?

Palhares is constantly trying to rake Shields eyes from the bottom, he's a total piece of poo poo

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Palhares is the ultimate IRL heel, raking eyes and cranking submissions after the tap

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Does Bellator use some weird surface for the floor of their ring? Both guys' feet in this one are sliding all over.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Yeah okay what the gently caress is wrong with the surface of this cage

Mo probably would have stopped Vassel when he was really badly hurt in the first minute, but he couldn't chase the TKO because he couldn't keep his footing. I suspected that's what happened, but it's nice to have Mo confirm it explicitly.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

I wasn't paying attention. Did he actually say that?

Yeah, the interviewer asked him why he didn't pursue the finish the first time he had Vassel hurt. Mo said that the canvas was so slick that he was worried he'd be taken down, so he held back.

It's got to be a big factor in these fights, like if there's no footing isn't that a big advantage for guys like Davis and Tito who really want to get to the ground?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Ty1990 posted:

Not only did Kimbo not dominate Dada, but he could've easily lost that loving fight.

I still don't understand what happened after the takedown. Kimbo mounted a guy seconds into the first round, sat on him doing nothing for several minutes, and when McCarthy finally stood them up for inactivity Kimbo was totally gassed. How? It's not like Dada was making him work to maintain the position. Kimbo didn't do anything to expend energy! It was like watching somebody get breathlessly exhausted from sitting in a chair for two minutes.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

justin gaethje has been indefinitely suspended for the heinous crime of backflipping

I enjoy this sport, where they give you a golden belt if you savagely and deliberately kick a man's leg in half, but if you celebrate with a sweet backflip you will be punished for going too far

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

gunblade posted:

For real though, Emil Meek is a guy who has been struggling with gaining momentum in his MMA career for a couple of years. On the European scene, the opportunity to get a win over a name fighter like Palhares is probably just the kind of chance Emil couldn't turn down.

I looked him up on Sherdog and please I would like to know what "No Contest (Overturned by the Promoter)" is supposed to mean, from his fight with something called Piotr Danelski. I'm assuming it is just some kind of hilarious Polish MMA corruption but according to google it is the sole recorded instance of that result.

e: oh ok here we go
http://www.mmaviking.com/emil-weber-meek-loss-changed-to-no-contest/

apparently Danelski was about to lose by TKO in the third round, so the ref stopped the action and gave him a minute or two to recover, then restarted the bout to enable an extremely Polish majority decision. The promoter was so embarrassed that he just voided the result.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 23, 2016

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Apparently it's hard for him to cut to 155, probably due to his thick thighs

Also Bendo lost some make-or-break fights and fell out of contention. Sometimes you have guys who are very good but can't see their path to the next title shot, but they're solid enough they can believe they'll make it against bigger fighters Cerrone is going to 170, too, now that he's lost to RDA by stoppage twice. Or you can go back in time to when Randy lost to Chuck the second time, so he was in the cold as far as 205, but he knew he was good enough to take the heavyweight belt off Silvia.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Luke is trying to decide if he wants to take 30% of Miller's purse plus an extra 5k or fight another middleweight for the belt and let that guy's opponent take on Mayhem.

In this interview it sounds like he's already decided not only will he not fight Miller at this event, he'll refuse to sign for a fight with Miller at any event in the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E33MHW2aN7A

Also says they've already lined up the replacement fights.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

fatherdog posted:

How do I watch Venator FC? I have a horrible guilty desire to see Palhares and Mayhem.

I guess it is streaming for free on MMATV.co.uk, I found it through this link on bloody elbow
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/5/21/11729114/venator-fc-3-palhares-vs-meek-free-live-stream

Walkouts for the Mayhem replacement fight are starting right now, I think

edit: uh, it seemed like they were announcing Mayhem then it suddenly cut to advertisements for bad boy shorts and now it is Che Mills vs. Terry Montgomery so maybe Mayhem decided not to fight? not sure what is happening but my guess would be Mayhem running out the back when they told him to do his walkout

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 21, 2016

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The schedules online indicated that Miller-Schiavolin would be at the bottom of the main card but I guess they're wrong and it will come as a surprise when it happens. Although it is time for our "hot mess" warmup: Cody McKenzie fighting a late replacement at catchweight.

e: funny sloppy mess of a fight

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 21, 2016

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
hell, I liked that, it was fun.

Mircea dropped McKenzie with a HARD body kick but couldn't finish on the ground (got ref warnings for repeated blows to back of the head). McKenzie eventually recovered and got the butterfly sweep, they rolled a bit and got back to the feet. I think McKenzie pulled guard and got the same sweep, beat Mircea up a little and looked for a submission, didn't get anything before the round ended. For the second they were both clearly exhausted but Mircea was worse, McKenzie got him down on a trip from body lock and did some grapples on him until he got his arms around the neck finish with a guillotine. Mircea cheated expertly--blows to back of the head, sticking his fingers in Cody's gloves, grabbing the shorts, excellent stuff. Great example of a fun bad fight.

e: lol the commentators talking about how they saw Cody in the hotel bar getting hammered every night of fight week

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 21, 2016

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bushmeister posted:

Cody McKenzie is my MMA totem animal

I don't know who the commentary team is but I guess the color guy is from the Pacific Northwest and knows Cody and Sam Sicilia personally, and he was saying Cody doesn't really see MMA as a real pursuit at this point and it is just something he does when he doesn't have a gig on a fishing boat. Which is kind of awesome, I think Cody might just be taking fights in the gaps when the boats are down between commercial fishing seasons, as an opportunity to take a trip to Italy and get drunk. He's basically a secondary character from a Jack London novel.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bushmeister posted:

I believe its actually Michael Chiesa doing color for this event, which makes this double plus good.

Yeah, you're right, thanks for clearing that up.

e: Amoussou has a cool kind of "off-brand Hector Lombard" thing going with the judo and the heavy strikes

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 21, 2016

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
terrible, terrible fight IQ from Schiavolin

e: good result, gently caress you Mayhem you turd

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bushmeister posted:

in the span it took me to refresh my drink someone got guillotined bad and now Mark Hamill is coming in to the ring, these guys have a schedule to keep

Araujo didn't just get submitted, it was one of those Northcutt or Erick Silva style fights where the Italian kid just ran out like a maniac and beat the gently caress out of him in twenty seconds

e: oh man poor matt hamill got killed

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The size difference in this fight is the sort of thing that truly makes the B-leagues great

e:
holy poo poo, TKO (fatigue)

I actually kind of love Venator's refs, they've been active about yelling at cheaters and threatening to take points, and that stoppage was great

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 21, 2016