Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I wonder if the Alvarez deal had anything to do with it. We'll give you 1 LW who wants a million dollars in a division we can't support for 1 LHW that is more personable than all of our others put together (- Joey Beltran).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
all mysteries will be revealed on September 12th.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Good walkout music.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That was a really good hammerfist Ben landed on the mat, there

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

'Skren should have been in UFC by nowwwwww

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I am okay with Ben getting to 20-0 before being promoted the P4P fighter of UFC contendership

but I would prefer if he were doing that to Rory MacDonald now instead of 2 years from now

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yuriy posted:

i get the joke but other than jones, who else?

Diego Brandao wanted to stab Poirier in the neck with the pen and has done other things like that I'm pretty sure, Overeem nuff said, Nate The Great Marquardt failed drug tests and also hosed up an event for UFC, Clay Guida isn't a bad guy in the real world but he commits crimes against enjoyment when he fights, probably others.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dana White letting Bonnar go to Bellator now makes complete sense to me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Part of me thinks it's because Viacom forced him to do it as part of the Rebney takeover, and another part of me thinks Coker is willing to try something new since his approach with Strikeforce didn't succeed.

Or we can go with the Bonnar double agent, Coker double agent story line. I like that one.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yuriy posted:

jake shields time!

gently caress. yes.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

speaking of fully mentally retarded...

UFC vet Wanderlei Silva joins Bellator 131 pre-fight activities

I guess if you're going to burn a bridge you might as well get every piece of it.

Also Bellator owns & is extremely funny. I'm going to miss them a lot.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

So Kogan resigned and Nate immediately got a decent fight?

weird.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

why can't sergei fight in the ufc

Sergei is one of the few good B-league fighters and commands a bit more money than other heavyweights. Sergei had a special deal with Strikeforce when Zuffa purchased the company and they saw how much he made and didn't feel like matching & Sergei wanted to kickbox and wanted more money in general. Both parties would probably like to work with each other but they won't agree on the money until it's too late.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

yeah. as a long time and lonely fitch fan: he's done. If he didn't have knee problems before he's certainly gonna have them now.

Rousimar is a scary retarded tree stump but if he submits Jake Shields he should probably be signed back to UFC. Likewise if Shields beats him then he should be given another shot.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

god damnit melvin.

and yet that's totally expected so i'm not even mad

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bellator is going full retard and I like it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ken's crowdsourcing for his energy drink wasn't going too well I guess

http://www.fanbacked.com/c/shamrock-slam-technical-fitness-drink/

oh it was all fun and games earlier today but now you've gone and depressed me.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Fentry posted:

Bitch noises, ladies and gentlemen

https://vine.co/v/O39hzvDzgzV

Thank you, and Joe Warren, for finally giving meaning to that catchphrase for the first time in 2 years.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Cro Cop purposely spent 2 rounds looking bad against Gonzaga before he decided to look good in the 3rd, so the strategy checks out.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I would much rather get into a fist fight with Ben Askren than either Jake Shields or Clay Guida.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

i like ben askren but he looked bad in that fight. if you want to find a positive out of that video you can assume askren is a clean fighter and that guy was not, in that case ben did well considering he was at a disadvantage.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yuriy posted:

i dont feel there was enough fight to make definitive statements about anything

You can use this logic for nearly any match if you try hard enough. I don't think this makes your case look any better if you're being serious.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Hey gang, haven't had enough of that Ken Shamrock photo yet? Then please listen to the end of the Bellator 138 conference call when Kimbo Slice is asked about that photo and PEDs in general and right as he's about to be honest the conference call conveniently ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNc9o87k960&t=2184s

"No you can't loving do this kind of poo poo if you're on the average level. Fans wanna see us perform! -Alright ladies and gentlemen thank you very much for tuning in to the Unfinished Business media call"

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Kimbo Slice has the exact same body that I do.

it's going to own

Also here's a pretty sweet quote from Patricio Freire:

I think he should come to UFC where he will be respected.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol Coker is going back to the one night tournament well

King Mo, Manny Newton, Phil Davis, Linton Vassell, my cup runneth the frick over

l m a o

this owns though. loving OWNS

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

looks like I made it back just in time

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

THE GREATEST HEAVYWEIGHT OF ALL TIME

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bromine posted:

So, is Bellator always like this?

it is now.

in the old days it used to almost be a real organization

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

The real question is, how many UFC lightweights would beat up Ken?

are there any that couldn't?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bellator is becoming such a hosed up promotion. I love it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Chris James 2 posted:

Fedor's considering a comeback

what I don't understand about this is Bellator/Viacom might be able to give him what he wants but I can't believe UFC wouldn't pony up more cash at this point. There's no reason not to have Fedor in UFC's heavyweight division at least once. Maybe not Brock vs Fedor at Dallas stadium anymore but Cain vs Fedor or a rematch between Werdum vs Fedor would certainly make everyone a shitload of money. Fedor's already lost and is old at this point so it wouldn't matter if he loses again, nobody would care that much. Why not?

What the gently caress does Scott Coker have going for him? Is he just that much nicer than the Fertittas that he can sway stars like Carano and Fedor to fight for him over UFC?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Well thankfully they kept Jimmy Smith cause he's the best color guy in the business and if they lost him that would be the dumb move, but I'm not sure why they got rid of Wheelock. Unless it was Sean Wheelock who wanted out after being asked to work the upcoming King Mo vs Phil Davis fight, which I understand.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

quote:

“It’s extremely important for any athlete to do what you love, to work out on training sessions, to prove yourself on the competitions, representing your Motherland," - told Fedor in his statement to the Union MMA of Russia, - "For the time that I’ve been working for the Ministry of Sport I managed to give my contribution into development of martial arts, I cooperated with the sports federations, learnt the problems of our sport and tried to solve them as good as I could. Now I feel that it’s a high time to get back in action”.

“I managed to recover and heal the old injuries. For the last 3 years I was maintaining my physical shape, but that’s still not enough to compete at proper level. Therefore I started to do more intensive trainings recently. We got a team of versatile professionals and athletes, who will help me to prepare myself well enough. I will also try to help other fighters to grow as professionals. I have to do a great job to prepare myself to return in fighting. Now we are in the middle of negotiations between the promotion companies. Once agreements are reached, there will be information on the date of the fight and my opponent”.

I still wanted to see him fight in UFC at least once but I'm guessing Fedor vs Kimbo is A Go.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

although now that I think about it there is no way on earth M-1 Global and Reebok would be able to reach any sort of agreement so lol. Yeah he's going to Bellator no doubt.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

it stinks because I'd get hyped for Fedor vs Overeem, Fedor vs JDS, Fedor vs Velasquez, Fedor vs Werdum 2, Fedor vs Cro Cop 2, and others. But nope.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Fedor/Couture might be good enough for PPV but even that fight I question how much it would make these days.

Bellator will be able to offer Fedor more of what he wants but they are not going to get their money back on PPV or free TV. So that's the only reason why I think UFC might be able to snag him unless Lorenzo low balls him again.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 15, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

Unless somebody higher up at Viacom steps in, Coker is going to shovel money at Fedor until he gets him, for the same reason he did the first time - Coker is a fanboy first, promoter second.

Yeah. The only thing I thought of was UFC and Fedor almost had a deal worked out a few years ago, separate from the pre and post Strikeforce negotiations that were disastrous. So maybe relations are better between those two camps now, but like you said Coker will keep raising his offer until he gets him.

And that is why Bellator is going to fail. UFC could get some utility out of Fedor even if they did overpay him by a bit. Bellator can't unless their gambit of "building big top cards" pays off. Which it won't. But maybe UFC will enjoy having Fedor become one of the top paid fighters again and that will get the FTC off their backs again, dunno.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

not top 5 but I could see top 10 and at worst top 15, which is insane when you consider he hasn't fought for 3 years and was already on the decline.

UFC doesn't need Fedor for matchmaking. They need him for expansion into Russia, a slight tick in PPV sales/live gate in the US, and even dumb stuff later on like being able to use all of his Pride + Strikeforce catalog. Bellator and WSOF and such are far behind UFC in all of those areas. That's why even if UFC throws too much money at Fedor they'll get some return on the investment pretty much no matter what. Bellator is going to be gambling more and WSOF even more than that.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

barnacle jake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Palhares could end up stalling with Maia in an MMA fight and that wouldn't go anywhere good. And in general Maia isn't a hostile dude at all. If you want to punish Palhares you have him fight Lombard over and over again until he decides to retire from all the KOs. As much as Lombard sucks he's always gonna be the worst matchup for Palhares and he's just as much of an angry retarded shithead.