Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Resurrecting the thread because I finally bit the bullet and started on a kitchen knife, so you all get to watch me stumble and fail. Here's my pattern in plywood and the result in steel:

Meant to be a gift, if I'm not too embarrassed by the end result. It's CM 154 steel, far too thick at 1/8", but here we are.

Next up: putting on a bevel using a belt grinder. Made myself a little scrap wood jig/guide so I don't burn off my fingertips any more than I already have. Stretch goal: make some mosaic pins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thread necromancy time. Put a crappy bevel on the blade, had it heat treated, made some pins of steel tubing filled with black epoxy (mosaics turned out awful), and roughly shaped stabilized maple into scales:

Next up: clean up the oxides from the heat treat, attach the handle & pins, shapeshapeshape, etc. But I don't want to make this a log so I'll just post the finished result. At this pace, I'll be done sometime in... November.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well in that case :v:

Cleaned up the oxides from the blade and put on the handle + pins. Here it is, last chance to stop:

Epoxied and clamped:

And how it looks while curing, covered in epoxy goop due to handling:

Of course, I managed to drop it as I was unclamping the whole thing :downs:

I don't think I'll get to work on it any more until the weekend, which is just as well because I've learned not to push my luck while things are at least moving along.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ very cool! Really digging the knurling.

Latest in my ongoing saga: put a small secondary bevel on the very edge and shaped the handle:

I'm also building an accompanying gift box -- you can it in the upper right corner. That became even more loving irritating because of the splintery nature of the wood I chose.

Up next: sharpen the edge, polish the blade (hopefully removing some of those scratches), wax the handle, and... that's it? I think.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
And finally, some glamour shots of the finished knife and box:

The box is made of some raw, driftwood-looking maple (because the handle uses maple too) which I will never use again. It splinters like crazy, even in parts where it didn't have the knots, which made the box a really goddamn annoying part of the project.

Anyway, things I've learned/would change:

• Thinner stock would've been a much better choice, as the final profile is more convex than I'd like
  • You have to be very firm and even when grinding, else you're left with scratches that are really difficult to remove. You can see them in the pictures, although the worst offenders are strategically hidden
  • Grinding the handle & pins was much easier and faster than I thought it would be. Getting a smooth, scratch-free bottom of the handle... not so much.
  • The CM154 steel takes a really good edge (which I had professionally done for fear of wrecking the blade)
  • Respirators are a really good thing, and I hope I used them consistently enough to avoid contracting black lung or some other Dickensian disease

Overall, I'm happy with my first knife ever, and I'll probably do it again but... This poo poo is hard, yo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Rotten Cookies posted:

[...] now that I work in a metal shop I kinda take it for granted that I can do something like this in less than half an hour.

:argh:

Kidding, just envious :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Nope, wasn't as refined as that. I took three cutoff pieces and cut/sanded them to the shape of the blade, then glued to the bottom of the box. Here's how they look under the flocking:

Pieces A and B were easy, just straight cuts. Piece C needed a scrollsaw and spindle sander to get the right curve, but none of it was terribly complex. Used the same approach on the handle holder/notch.

But if I were doing it again, I'd try to do the whole interior out of one piece. If you look at the original picture, you can see seams where A+C and B+C joined together, and I wish I had avoided that. I figured the flocking would make it uniform. No dice.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mattwhoo posted:

Hello knife thread. I just started getting into knife making about a month ago. This is my second attempt I think it turned out well.

I did not really take any pictures during construction. The knife is 3/16" thick 1084. I did the heat treat myself in a modified grill with lump charcoal and air being blown in from a shop vac. Hand sanded to 600 grit. The handle is Bolivian rosewood with a Danish oil finish.

Wow, really nice!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Really nice work! I'm a fan of the plunge line in particular. I find pretty much all of knifemaking challenging, but making those clean particularly so.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Good question, that's very clean.

mattwhoo posted:

Knife #4 I made this for a friend she picked the scales. They are spalted and dyed maple. I used a water based poly for the handle.

Don't think I've ever seen dyed scales -- pretty cool effect.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Had steel left over, friend saw my first attempt and reacted with "I want one!", so wife suggested I make knives for said friend. I decided to go with cheese knives:

These are nos. 2 and 3 I ever made, so uh... scratches and dishing are still heavily featured. But they're well-received, so I'll just keep going and hopefully improve.

Until I lose access to the belt grinder :-/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Fantastic pins! Tried doing mosaics precisely once and failed miserably, so I'm in awe of people who can do such magic.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You really should be -- that is just gorgeous.

Did you make your own pins this time around?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm going to give you the highest recognition I can bestow on someone: upload a pic of this knife to my "Knifemaking" Pinterest inspiration board.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mattwhoo posted:

Yes you should I feel a little lonely in here sometimes.

I'd totally contribute more but no longer have access to the belt grinder and I'm about to lose access to a garage :( I don't think the wife or neighbours would be fans of me filing away in our condo or on the balcony.

But I do enjoy the stuff that's posted -- keep it up!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I actually came across this while looking for some leatherworking ideas, but if you ever want to feel completely inadequate in this knifemaking business, just browse this dude's thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/798829-Knives-from-the-workshop-of-Roman-Blaha

Anyway, how do you think he pulls off these peened-yet-flush pins? I haven't tried peening, but it seems to me like they're far more likely to be proud instead of flush with the handle:

Do you need some kind of fancy press to pull that off? Fully shape the handle and pins before applying epoxy? I have no idea :psyduck:

For that matter, this is a really neat detail as well:

Is this a... rounded off rat-tail stick tang? Again, no idea how to pull it off short of shaping and finishing everything before assembly.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Those all sound like good guesses. Sadly, I won't be making more knives anytime soon, but if I do end up with grinder access again... Hmmm. Hmmm.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Good god that's pretty. What kind of steel are you using?

fe: is that maple burl for the handle?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Those are very cool! Are your pins stainless steel or something else?

(I had to give up on the hobby, but still check the thread and fantasize about coming back to it)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A drill press and vise could be extremely useful in drilling the tang and scales for your pins (if you plan on using them). You might be able to pull it off with a handheld drill, but getting them nice straight... it's tricky.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Slick! Is the glow-in-the-dark effect a combination of resin and photoluminescent dye?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm still not back to making more knives but follow the thread and appreciate all of you skilled bastards.

I love that one. Are the markings etched or stamped or done somehow else entirely?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Nice going, looking forward to seeing those!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's the opposite of the forging or stock removal approach most of us have to take, but I thought it was a neat overview of CNC-based manufacturing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxAH6TGgNSA

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:aaaaa: Those look fantastic!

Were they all forged? I've done two blacksmithing sessions which frustrated the hell out of me, so I'm looking at that and going :shepicide:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The fact that you were able to hammer that into a shape so close to your design is nothing short of amazing to me. :aaa:

Also:

Kenshin posted:

Padauk is a pain to work with, those were the third set of scales I had to make as I cracked/broke the other two before getting the hang of being extremely careful with it.

Thread title strikes again, in unexpected places!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Those places, in my experience, also tend to be owned/staffed by grognards who have never used email and can barely stand the phone. Asking in person might be your best bet for getting in actual answer (which will probably still be a no, sadly).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I actually liked making handles and pins, back when I dabbled in this hobby. I treated it like sanding in woodworking: it means you're almost done!

On the topic of handles, this guy's videos popped up in my YouTube recommendations and whoa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9ZBrjjx8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdI0xXqafMA

(he just makes the handles but they're pretty freaking neat)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Holy moly!

Everything about that is just :kiss:

Or actually :discourse:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

r00tn00b posted:

I made it myself...
edit - I also made the aluminium myself as well, well melted it down from cans and poured and shaped it.

:gowron:

It's freaking amazing!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'd agree with everyone you've shown it to: looks good to me!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kenshin posted:

Here's what's on my work table as of this afternoon:

L-R:
steak knife for myself (didn't put tons of effort into refinement, there's a few rough spots)
hunting knife for a friend
chief knives

the two on the left just need sharpening, the two on the right are sitting in a coffee etch overnight

Digging it all, esp that brass bolster. Is it a solid piece you drilled through for the tang or did you fold it over, glorious Nippon katana-style?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

trufflefoo posted:

Is there an option for a belt grinder at around £200 (UK)?
I don’t have the budget, space, or time to dedicate to knives to justify a 2x72 fancy thing, but currently only have a combo 4” belt sander thing, so would like a bit of an upgrade.

I appreciate such a machine will be limited, and that’s fine. I’ve made 3 knives in the past and it’s fun, but not something I’ll take super seriously.

To follow up on Ghostnuke's comment, this just popped up in my recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDdBpMaG2TE

Granted, it's sponsored by one of the Canadian equivalents of Harbor Freight, but the tool itself is a no-name generic 1x30.

Conclusion: yes, you can make very decent knives on them. I just imagine you'll have to go slow and get some decent belts.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I would go with an epoxy too (maybe through a syringe?) but you might also want to ask in the metalwork thread.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's an elegant shape and the handle is giving me Laguiole vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Freaking :black101: